G1 FONTS! Post them here!!!!

Search This thread

thulinhlun

Jan 25, 2009
Hey guys, since u all can see that the "original fonts" of G1 is same as other phone and surely "boring". So i think it will be unique if G1 has the other kind of fonts. So here where mine come from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=480328
Well because i dont know how to take out the front so just download the theme down and install it. After than u can install a different theme over it and the fonts will be there still.
Or u can try to delete the framework and app inside the folder and install it (dunno if it will work because i never try it)
And if anyone else got any kind of fonts that can install in G1 please post it here for sharing.
Here below is some pic about my fonts:

Attachments

• 1235276159348.png
    1235276159348.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 3,297
  • 1235276212580.png
    1235276212580.png
    181 KB · Views: 6,311
  • 1235276227808.png
    1235276227808.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 1235276328744.png
    1235276328744.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,677

JackD3ath

Jan 4, 2009
Satellite Beach, Florida
Not sure of compatibility but i know that some fonts dont look right if they are too small. One example i can think of is segoe ui. it is a very nice font but doesnt look right below 8.

Font doesnt bother me, it is very legible and clean and matches most themes.

tip6226

Feb 8, 2009
does anyone know how to change the font? and if o does anyone know where i can get a good font? i have 1.42 rc33

dandaninc

Nov 1, 2008
Nashua, NH
www.deadmandan.com
If I can figure it out I really want to make just straight Font update.zip files so that people could just download the font that they want install it over the theme that they have and presto!! There it is! If anyone wants to help me figure this out Private message me! I really want so different fonts on my phone too! Cheers!

thulinhlun

Jan 25, 2009
Hm........if u read my first post, i did show u how to install the fonts i have above, but that all i know lol. Sorry i cant help :p

dandaninc

Nov 1, 2008
Nashua, NH
www.deadmandan.com
I've done that too. What I really want to do is just make a bunch of update files that only contain the font to be updated. That way it doesn't take long to update and it would be a rather small file that people could hopefully swap out even if they have apps installed and such as opposed to having to having a fresh install of RC33...

It took me about a week just to get the nuts to root my phone to begin with and I'm down to 1 so I don't even have a test phone to mess up.

I'm going to read over the theme creation threads a few more times and see if I can do it alone. I will post my results to you sir!

thulinhlun

Jan 25, 2009
Yea good luck to u lol.
As for me, everytime i get the gut to try to learn how to make a theme by myself. A big headache hit me so i stopped lol.
And yea i didnt got the gut to root my phone either into i give my phone to a friend to make it can read vietnamese (G1 cant read some words of Vietnamese). And when he return it too me, he told me my phone is rooted :D lol i still dont know should i say thanks to him or f*** him :p

tip6226

Feb 8, 2009
with the guicci theme the creator added his own font that you apply as update.zip i think its old english bt its really hard to read idk how he created it tho but this is wat u mean bt an update.zip font right? i would really like to see fonts like that and i kno it can b done i just wish i knew how to do it

Last edited:

dandaninc

Nov 1, 2008
Nashua, NH
www.deadmandan.com

jdwash11

Feb 6, 2009
I'm wondering how you can include different fonts in the update...

when I view the files in a font update.zip i can see all the .ttf files but I don't know which ones are used under what circumstances. I'd like to not have the same font for everything as that kinda sucks...

Beast84

Oct 28, 2007
Albuquerque
I'm wondering how you can include different fonts in the update...

when I view the files in a font update.zip i can see all the .ttf files but I don't know which ones are used under what circumstances. I'd like to not have the same font for everything as that kinda sucks...

Yea I was thinking the same thing, what font is for what? Do we just change the name of the font & replace it in the update.zip & resign? Or is there more to it?

anddep

Feb 15, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
i did it found the font i wanted to use and and copied it to the zip and renamed them to "droidsans.ttf" and "droidsans-bold.ttf" tried to update it but it won't.. forgot what it said but it aborted the installation.. :(

Geo411m

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2009
Bartow Florida
i did it found the font i wanted to use and and copied it to the zip and renamed them to "droidsans.ttf" and "droidsans-bold.ttf" tried to update it but it won't.. forgot what it said but it aborted the installation.. :(

what you need to do is sign your update. Also make sure it's a true type font, I don't think it will work otherwise.

dandaninc

Nov 1, 2008
Nashua, NH
www.deadmandan.com
what you need to do is sign your update. Also make sure it's a true type font, I don't think it will work otherwise.

Thank you for the signing comment I would have forgot to do that and just started getting pissed because it wouldn't work. I think that renaming the font to the ones in the file should work. I will try this and get back to everyone here. I really want this to work...

Also if I do get this to work than I will start making a bunch of random font update files and start a thread for it! Cheers!:D

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Don't you need an install script for it to know where to copy the file(s)? You can't just have a file called update.zip with some files inside of it and expect it to know what to do with them. There would need to be a update-script file located in the META-INF/com/google/android directory of your update.zip. It would need to have a line such as:
copy_dir PACKAGE:system SYSTEM:
and the fonts would need to be located in system/fonts of your update.zip. So your update.zip would look like what I am going to attach, however with fonts. You could probably just put them into my attached empty zip template, resign the zip and be good to go. I put the original fonts in it just so I could test sign it and verify the manifest is creating properly.
You can download it here:
Fonts Update

This should work. Not sure if you had an install-script in your file, but I am assuming you did not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android Logo (inspired) font (updated 6-13-09)

Hello All,

I've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and enjoyment from reading these forums, so it gives me great pleasure to be able to "give something back" to the community and I hope some folks can use and enjoy it.

I became a little obsessed with getting my hands on the Android logo font (the one on the animated splash screen) and, although it looked briefly like some version of it was going to be available when Lukster on Android Community posted something about it some time back, nothing ever came of it that I was able to find, so I finally decided to make my own.

I used the .png pics from that thread as a general guideline for how the capital letters should look and then just took some creative liberties with the lower case letters and numbers. I tried it first using Fontstruct (a very fun online way to make fonts if you've never made one before) but the results were not so hot, so I finally taught myself just enough FontForge to get some results I can live with. This is my first font ever, so please be kind, but please do offer any advice or criticism you might have for how it can be improved!

DroidLogo-sample.jpg

I built this right on top of the original DroidSans.ttf files so that I could be sure that all the characters commonly (and uncommonly) used by the phone would be supported. Then I had to copy all the characters into a brand new font file to strip off all of the no-longer accurate copyright/trademark information from Ascender and Google and I suspect that the overall presentation of the font may have been compromised in the transfer process due my near complete ignorance of all the various instructions and constraints, etc. that are variously embedded into a proper/professional font file. I will continue to go back and try to tweak some of these properties over time and will uploaded the latest versions, but what I have now seems to be working and is reasonably attractive and tolerably legible. All of the capital and lower case letters as well as the numerals are of my own creation (although obviously heavily inspired by the ANDROID logo and the font Lukster posted previously).

Both TrueTypeFont (TTF) files are attached as a Zip file simply for the sake of uploading it to the forum, so you'll want to unzip them first. Then you can ADB or fastboot them to your phone after renaming them to DroidSans.ttf and Droidsans-Bold.ttf or you can copy them to your SD card and load them from terminal, recovery terminal or with a Gscript as discussed in the font threads available on XDA.

Although plenty of folks simply load a single font file renamed as both DroidSans and DroidSans-Bold, I noticed that doing so basically disables the bold functionality on the phone, so I prefer loading both the regular and bold versions so that text will format appropriately, especially where the contrast is intended for emphasis. Thanks to the advice of anddep and the template and signing/set-up advice from Stericson I've also uploaded an update.zip of the fonts. Just rename it to update.zip in the root of your SD and Alt-S it from recovery mode and it'll replace the font files for you.

It is not by any means the most legible font you'll ever find, so the chances of folks leaving it on their phones for any period of time seems pretty slim, but it might be useful for some wallpapers, program UI screens, splash screens, etc. Feel free to use this font for any NON-commercial uses you see fit, understanding what it is and what it is not; just mention that you got it from ei8htohms when you do so.

_john

[Edit 5-24-09: This version is much improved with regards to regularity of character height, etc.]

[Edit 6-13-09: Corrected some missing glyphs that created formatting anomalies in app drawer, etc.]

[Edit 3-12-11: Added a version with (hopefully) correctly marked regular and bold versions for use on Mac or other PCs. Let me know if it doesn't work!]

[Edit 7-29-12: Added an update.zip package with Italic and Bold Italic versions suitable for ICS and JB.]