[FULL GUIDE][UNBRICK][Root] Flash custom or stock ROMs or kernels [i9000][VIDEO]

Search This thread

freakymod2120

Jun 26, 2013
Hey perfect work !!! I`m sorry but actually i cannot give a thanks to you :crying: because of limiting to 8 thanks a day ...sorry ...

This guide is great, i had given many times to people wo want to know how to downgrade ...it is a mess that this thread gets down by time ...:(

Opening post updated with video, the guide is completed now.

Enjoy.

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Hey perfect work !!! I`m sorry but actually i cannot give a thanks to you :crying: because of limiting to 8 thanks a day ...sorry ...
This guide is great, i had given many times to people wo want to know how to downgrade ...it is a mess that this thread gets down by time ...:(

Thank you, mate. Very kind of you.

I also think this opening post could spare lots of questions and tears here on the forum.

Reactions: freakymod2120

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
When I tried to flash CM 10.2 the first time – at that time RC1 was the newest version – I was asked to flash it a second time, which I did. To be precise, the following message was shown:
This ROM uses an incompatible partition layout
You /data will be wiped upon installation
Run this update.zip again to confirm install
This message hasn’t been shown again since then. I flashed CM 10.1.3 again and tried to flash 10.2 a second time, but the message wasn’t shown again.

Going back to CM 10.1.3 worked without any problem.

------------------------------------------

Now I have CM 10.2 on my phone and it starts normally:)

I flashed Stock-Android 2.3.6 with Odin (v1.82). Tetakpatak, thank you for the excellent guide and the video! As written in the guide, I used "s1_odin_20100512.pit" as PIT-file.
(I executed Odin on an old computer with Windows XP 32bit, as the guide says Odin 1.82 works better with Win XP.)

Then I installed CM 10.2 over Stock-Android 2.3.6. I followed the official instructions:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_galaxysmtd?setlang=en
(I executed Heimdall on my new computer with Windows 7. Heimdall 1.4RC2 doesn’t work on Win XP. If one executes Odin and Heimdall on the same PC, I could imagine this could lead to confusion, because Odin needs the Samsung-USB-drivers and Heimdall needs WinUSB. I’m not sure if this really leads to problems. But one should keep that in mind.)

I didn’t flash CM 10.1.3 before 10.2, because I didn’t need to restore a nandroid backup previously made with CM 10.1.3. There were no important data on the phone.

Many thanks to all who gave me advice and helped my solving the problem!
Tomy

I am really glad it worked, Tomy!

Thanks for the info about flashing CM10.1.3 right after CM10.2 without any problem. It is good to know (and also interesting to know), that CyanogenMod 10.1.3 has no problem by using bigger /system partition size of the CM10.2

Stock ROM would indeed have problem with the different partition size.

ciano865

Jun 10, 2013
Update bootloader with odin 1.83 failed, with 1.85 OK.

Just a little feedback, thanks for your work ;)

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Update bootloader with odin 1.83 failed, with 1.85 OK.

Just a little feedback, thanks for your work ;)

Thank you for your feedback. You probably didn't run Odin as administrator, or waited too long in DL mode before flashing start.

I know it often works with the 1.85, but I will nevertheless not recommend it in the OP, as 1.82, 1.7 or even 1.0 are all better choice than the 1.85. Elite developers like Chainfire, Codeworkx or Dr.Ketan warn all together about bootloader flashing: it is reserved for those who know what they do- and only on own risk. For the i9000, flashing a bootloader with Odin v1.85 is in general - high risk.

I am really glad it worked for you and no hard brick was reported instead :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ciano865

fredmig

Jan 14, 2010
internal SD card

Hi,

I'll try to explain what's happening with my galaxy S.

I was running a custom kitkat rom (McKay 4.4.2 rom) and I've tried to upgrade it to the new version, but suddenly my internal SD card just stopped.
It doesn't allow me to save ou delete any of file on it (659Mb available on 5.78Gb total). I've tried a factory reset with no success. I've tried formatting everything (data; datadata; sdcard; cache....) again with no success. I've also tried a downgrade to stock and formatting it on the PC, but it tells I've the same 659Mb free on the internal SD card.

Any of you guys have any idea?

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
.....I was running a custom kitkat rom (McKay 4.4.2 rom) and I've tried to upgrade it to the new version, but suddenly my internal SD card just stopped.
It doesn't allow me to save ou delete any of file on it (659Mb available on 5.78Gb total). I've tried a factory reset with no success. I've tried formatting everything (data; datadata; sdcard; cache....) again with no success. I've also tried a downgrade to stock and formatting it on the PC, but it tells I've the same 659Mb free on the internal SD card.

Any of you guys have any idea?

Hello :)
I have just posted your question in the McKay thread, I see that you're not the only one with that problem.
I'm sure they have figured out what to do.

Did you try to fix permissions in the recovery mode?
Maybe they are just changed to "read only" now so you can't write (save) anything.

I see you're new here on the forum so easy way: use any Root Browser app and make long click on the "SD card" and check the permissions. All should be checked. If you're not sure, you can make a screenshot of the permissions and post it here.

Last edited:
Reactions: diaboliku123

diaboliku123

Jan 9, 2013
@tetakpatak: Thanks for all your help!

I read your whole topic , really helpful. But I still have some questions:

1.What backups (call log/sms log/apps + data) should I avoid to transfer to 4.4 ?
2.What do you think about this order? is it ok do not lose my IMEI and get everything working smoothly on 4.4?

-Backup everything I got with Titanium Backup
-Flash latest samsung stock rom with odin v1.8.3
-Root stock rom with odin (speedmod kernel)
-Flash in CWM in order: GB CM7 -> ICS CM9 -> JB 10 -> KK CM11
-Reboot.
-Flash gapps and Titanium Backup apk -> restore everything with Titanium Backup

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne

1.What backups (call log/sms log/apps + data) should I avoid to transfer to 4.4 ?
2.What do you think about this order? is it ok do not lose my IMEI and get everything working smoothly on 4.4?

-Reboot.
-Flash gapps and Titanium Backup apk -> restore everything with Titanium Backup.

Mate, you can now backup your IMEI nuber (whole EFS folder) just as described in the OP, check this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45551390#post45551390

Data from 2.3.x migration to 4.4.x (restore):
  • SMS and Call logs: no problems here, as backup that was created in 2.3 can be restored in 4.4 without any problem if you use the recommended apps by developer Ritesh Sahu (PlayStore). Those apps will create their backup folders on your internal sdcard, that won't be wiped after upgrading to a custom ROM. You can also copy that folder somewhere else (external sdcard or PC). The app itself, however, is not recommended to be restored by Titanium Backup! Backups of contacts, calls or SMS made by Titanium Backup wouldn't be possible to restore in your new custom ROM anyway, as TW roms were using uncompatible applications. That's why your contacts should be either synced with your Google account, or exported as .vcf file to your internal sdcard, that file can be successfully imported with any custom ROM.
  • stock ROM with Odin 1.83 / OK
  • root with SpeedMod kernel / OK, just choose compatible kernel version on hardcore's website (depending on the Gingerbread version you have)
  • Flash order: from rooted stock GB you can skip CM7 and go to CM9, then CM10.2 (that will resize your /system partition and give you newest CWM recovery, with which you can flash KitKat). By each upgrade, in the first step the CWM recovery will be upgraded as first, recovery reboot will follow, the ROM will be flashed after that. If CM9 or CM10.2 starts to reboot in loop in recovery mode, simply pull out your battery, run it again in the recovery mode and flash zip. It will work then.
  • Reboot: yes, but after each update! I mean, don't remain in recovery mode and flash one zip after another as that won't work (you wil get a bootloop and can start again from flashing a stock GB rom with Odin :p )
  • Flash Gapps for your desired KitKat / YES
  • Restore everything with Titanium Backup / NO! Developers are warning of doing that as TW roms use in many cases different file system (and use different folders) so restoring apps from stock to custom ROM with Titanium can cause countless issues. Simply install the apps from Play Store again (proper file formatting for your higher Android version will be gained automatically) and you can for example restore only app data with TB if you have Pro version and enable "migrate system data" option (like restoring levels from Angry Birds).
If you have synced Apps with your Google Account (in the settings --> Accounts --> main Google account), simply flash the Gapps (recommended package from the opening post of your prefered future custom ROM) they will restore automatically after first boot up and login on your Google account, usually just 1-2 minutes later it will start automatically, sometimes you just need to open the Play Store if auto-installing doesn't start from itself. (but don't start to install manually in the Play Store if the auto-install starts, as manual installing can stop the auto-install process)

Last edited:

diaboliku123

Jan 9, 2013
Where do I find a xxjvq version 2.3.6? atm I have 2.3.3 XXJVQ.

edit: I read so freaking much in the last hours but this samsung crap is too ****ing complicated.

Last edited:

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
edit: I read so freaking much in the last hours but this samsung crap is too ****ing complicated.

JVQ is 2.3.3 (later versions = next letters... :) )
Don't worry about reading, it is good- you learn something.
Did you make all your backups and did you download compatible kernel?

For the case you would need a 2.3.6, here is IMO the best stock 2.3.6 ROM made for the i9000, equally it is also the very latest update by Samsung for our phone:
I9000XWJW9_I9000OXAJW4_I9000XWJW1 download link, it has multi-CSC (open Europe) and it isn't branded :)
This stock ROM really flies if you flash SpeedMod kernel k17-3 on it: under advanced SpeedMod options in CMW recovery (SpeedMod features CWM 2.5.1.0 it has "root / install SU" option)

diaboliku123

Jan 9, 2013
Like a normal widget yea. But it doesn't work. Nothing happens when I long press. It works with other widgets and icons but it doesnt work with this one.

mrvlhs

Mar 22, 2012
Hi! I was using GamerzRom ICS 4.2.1 w/ Devil Touch Recovery v6.0.3.0 and tried to install several other roms without success. I tried several KitKat (CyanogenMod, CyanAOSP, MackayOmni) and JellyBean (CyanogenMod Stable) without any success. I always get Satus 7 error. Can someone tell me which part of this guide is suited for me (or maybe some other guide)? I've spent 4 hours around this with no success so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Downgrade / change a custom ROM **** unbrick i9000 **** safely upgrade to a custom ROM **** exclusively-made videos
    If you find this thread useful, please click "thanks" button left beyond the post.

DISCLAIMER:
    Code:
    * [I]I am not responsible for any bricked devices, marriage crisis,[/I]
    * [I]sleeples nights, termonuclear wars, electricity blackouts, short[/I]
    * [I]circuits, or for bad weather in your region that will brick your phone.[/I]
    * [I]I just try to help here, but it may not work for you.[/I]

WHAT IS THIS GUIDE GOOD FOR?

Switching between custom ROMs: sometimes it just helps to flash a stock ROM. If you already use a custom ROM with modified system partition size, flashing a stock ROM is sometimes simply easier outgoing point for flashing another custom ROM. While the opening posts of the custom ROMs development threads usually describe very well how to upgrade, but the way how to downgrade to stock gets explained very seldom. By attempt to flash across the ROMs unexperienced people run often into various unexpected problems (like bootloops, system files crash, etc) although some of those people spend some time searching for the information how to downgrade. It is simply difficult to obtain the informations so I would like to make here a checklist in almost-noob-friendly way for downgrading / unbricking. What I meant with words "almost noob-friendly" is: you must know what these words mean: Odin, ROM, kernel, CWM recovery, ADB, zip file, nandroid backup or download mode before continuing.

Unbricking: soft-bricked SGS i9000, or if you get into bootloop and lose recovery mode (if download mode is still accessible) can probably likely be unbricked by following this guide. Flashing novices: if you have bricked the phone by first flashing attempt, please check as the very first thing do you really have the i9000 in your hands, as there are about 20 sub-models. You can check HERE your IMEI number, but please always use app Android System Info, as it is more reliable. This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S, GT-i9000!

Root: for people who just want to root their phone, everything is described here as well. Unexperienced people should please read whole the guide before doing anything. It will be very helpful to understand more, flashing should work without big stress or problems then.

FAQ (about this guide):

FAQ: this guide is for PC users, what about Linux or iOS?:
    Ubuntu and iOS users can use Heimdall perfectly well for the flashing procedure. Heimdall ver 1.31 works excellent with the i9000. But as this guide indeed refers primarly to PC/Odin users, I would like to re-direct Linux und Mac users to this Heimdall Flashing Guide and advice novices to learn first some more on CyanogenMod Wiki about using Heimdall.

FAQ: restoring a nandroid backup across different ROMs:
    Having a nandroid backup kept somewhere would make life of bricked i9000's owner much easier. But to restore it safely, you must first flash the same ROM, the same kernel and the same custom recovery version like you had when you have created your last nandroid backup. Otherwise bootloop might be the result.

FAQ: formatting & partitions:
    Compared to the modern devices, Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000 has quite limited RAM (500MB) so many recently developed custom ROMs must use different system partition sizes than stock ROMs. Restoring nandroid backups made while in different ROM, or flashing across differently partitioned ROMs is problematic and appear to be the most common reason for the bugs or soft bricks.

FAQ: Troubleshooting
    At any point of the flashing procedure, various problems may occur. On the bottom of this post are the solutions listed for the most common, typical problems.

1. PREPARATION:
    People with bricked devices could also benefit from reading this
    • 1.1 like always: make a nandroid backup of your presently used ROM. It is recommended to keep the zip files of your build, gapps and nandroid backup of your presently used ROM on the phone as well as on your PC.
    • 1.2 remember version No of your custom recovery (rename backup file) - beyond under FAQ is explained only workflow for the CWM recovery. Nandroid backups made by one version of CWM recovery usually aren't restorable in another version of the CWM recovery. Therefore it is at all times very valuable information to know which version did you use to create your nandroid backup. Same thing for kernels and ROMs: attempt to restore nandroid backup created by different kernels and by different ROMs will likely end in soft-bricking or bootloop.
    • 1.3 backup your SMS, call logs and contact data. Use for this free apps from Play Store "SMS backup & restore" and "Call logs backup & restore" (both by Ritesh Sahu) as they work reliably accross all the ROMs, no matter if custom or stock. Who doesn't want to synchronize his contacts with his google account can simply in the settings of Contacts (People) app export a *vcf file of all the contacts to SD card. It is universal standard format acceptable throughout the ROMs (even photo/avatar of your contact will be saved)
    • 1.4 backup your IMEI / EFS folder (if you have never flashed before, make sure which model do you really have a i9000 check HERE your IMEI number! IMEI number ocasionally gets erased after flashing of some custom ROMs. It happens often with Slim ROMs, some PA ROMs etc (and no- I didn't wanna say those ROMs aren't good or that you shouldn't try them- I just say: backup your IMEI before!) Save yourself of headache, EFS backup is easy to restore. Backup in a root shell (either by ADB or within the Terminal Emulator) for example like this. TWRP recovery has an option to backup the EFS folder.
    • 1.5 backup your calender- app CalenGoo from Play Store (only pro version) synchronizes the android calender with google calender. Losing dates won't happen to people who use this app or other similar ones.
    • 1.6 backup all your other data (music, photos, videos) - some custom ROMs will erase all your data during the installation, as some of them must reformat parts of the internal SD card. Keep at all times all data from your phone that you might need as backup externally.

2. DOWNLOADS, ODIN and ADB tips:
    • Check the baseband versions /CSC codes for your region HERE or also HERE, or if not sure, choose a firmware with multi-CSC
    • 2.0 Download stock ROM and proper Odin version for your device. All ROMs for SGS i9000, PIT files, Odin and many unvaluably good advices can be downloaded HERE
    • 2.1 Not all Odin versions are compatible with the i9000. Last compatible version is 1.83, uncompatible ones can freeze during the flashing process or won't even start it.
    • 2.2 The most reliable devices for flashing with Odin are notebooks running on Windows XP 32-bit. Big PCs, Win7, Vista and 64-bit OSs can cause troubles.
    • 2.3 The rule of thumb for Odin: option "re-partition" should be checked only if PIT filed is flashed together with the ROM, otherwise it mustn't be checked!!
    • 2.4 For downgrading from the CM to stock ROM, it is strongly recommended to flash the PIT file, as custom ROMs usually use different partitioning of the system. Clicking on "PIT" in Odin will automatically check the re-partition option by default. Leave it that way and choose PIT file for the i9000 ending with numbers 512.
    • 2.5 If your stock ROM after unzipping with 7zip consists out of 3 files, they will be set in Odin under PHONE, CSC and PDA. If the unzipped ROM consists only one big file, we will set it under "PDA" and ignore all other file fields.
    • 2.6 Make sure that your Samsung Kies doesn't run in background (kill process in task manager, or even better: uninstall that crap!)
    • 2.7 Make sure to have installed Samsung mobile USB driver on your PC: when your i9000 is turned on and get connect via USB cable, Windows must be able to perfectly recognize and install drivers for your hardware before you run it in download mode.
    • 2.8 Make sure that USB debugging is enabled under: Applications/Development (it will be disabled by default in every stock ROM). Download mode will work regardless this, but if we will need to use ADB it should be enabled.
    • 2.9 Make sure that your battery has enough juice (full charging is recommended)
    • Many experienced users and all android developers are using Android development tools and its part ADB tool to remote their android device or to find reason for malfunctioning. For anybody willing to learn more, check this excellent ADB guide. Who installs for the first time should mind that after installation of whole SDK Manager the ADB drivers for Android versions 4.0+ could be not pre-installed and you have to do it manually. Mind also that for CM10.x ROMs you shouldn't use ADB (SDK manager) versions earlier than 1.0.31.
      (You can find on the bottom of this post is attached 7zip file of a screenshot of SDK Manager where I've marked in red colour on example of Android 4.3 which options must be checked to update ADB drivers. Your PC must be online to update and you must restart your system to enable the drivers: even if it doesn't warn that you should do so)

3. FLASHING A STOCK ROM (same procedure for UNBRICKING):
    Following procedure can be seen beyond in VIDEO No.2 (0:00-4:45)
    • 3.1 Steps 2.7 / 2.8 / 2.9 must be done now, switch off your phone
    • 3.2 Run Odin as administrator!
    • 3.3 under PIT: choose the file "s1_odin_20100512.pit" (that will check the "re-partition", it is good so)
    • 3.4 under PDA, PHONE, CSC choose the unzipped 3 files from step 2.1, it is described under 2.6 how to do it (all three options will be checked now in Odin: Re-Partition, Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time)
    • 3.5 run your i9000 now (not before!) in download mode now with 3-button-combo (pressing at same time the buttons: volume down&home&power)
    • 3.6 connect your i9000 now via USB cable to your PC
    • 3.7 Odin must display now in the "Message" tab (left, lower bigger tab) and leftmost ID:COM field must display now port number where your i9000 is connected in color.
    • If Odin doesn't display BOTH messages, interrupt here, disconnect your phone, switch it off (7sec long press on the power button, ignore the text "Do not switch off the target") and check again steps 2.7 / 2.8 / 2.9)
    • 3.8 if and ID:COM port number are displayed in Odin, click on "Start"
    • 3.9 wait until Odin finishes with the flashing process (in the upper leftmost field first "RESET" and after that "PASS" will be displayed if the flashing ends with successf), don't move the USB cable! After about 1-2 minutes your i9000 will reboot into choosen stock ROM

NOTE: if your stock ROM consists only out of only one TAR file (instead of three), you should choose that big file in Odin under "PDA" (same like in the VIDEO No.3) and if you need re-partition, unzip the PIT file (attached on the bottom of this post) and choose it in Odin under "PIT" (in that case, option "re-partition" must be checked). The flashing procedure just takes considerably longer time than in the video No.3 where only a kernel was flashed (with my PC, a firmware flashing takes always about 2min 20s, same long like in the VIDEO No.2). All stock ROMs for the i9000 (Eclair, Froyo & Gingerbread) use the same partition size for the /system. So for switching from stock to stock you don't need the PIT file. Use it only for unbricking or if you are changing from CM10.2 back to stock (or from any other ROM that uses different partition size than Samsung stock firmwares).:)

4. ROOT stock firmware and UPGRADE TO A CUSTOM ROM:
    4.1: BOOTLOADER CHECK

IMPORTANT: i9000 developers recommend upgrading from Gingerbread to 4.x custom ROMs as they need a Gingerbread bootloader!!
    Maybe you can skip this part: if your last stock firmware was any Gingerbread version (Android 2.3.x) you don't have to worry about this, as your phone already has a GB bootloader. If a firmware package includes the bootloader (and all stock firmwares do include it), it will get automatically flashed no matter of the chosen options in Odin.

But for all the people who upgrade directly from Froyo / Android 2.2.x into the Android 4+ world, it is recommended to update your phone bootloader to Gingerbread's one. It can be done just before flashing your new custom ROM or even after successful upgrading directly from Froyo to CyanogenMod, as you can see in the video beyond:

This is how flashing of bootloader only looks like:
    • repeat the steps from 3.1 to 3.2
    • turn off the phone
    • Run Odin as administrator and chose GB bootloader (tar file) under "BOOTLOADER" (unzip attached zip file!)
    • Check the option "Phone Bootloader Update"!
    • SITUATION ONE: if reboot of the system is not desired uncheck "Auto Reboot" option! (example: if you want right after this to install zip of a custom ROM in recovery mode )
    • SITUATION TWO: if reboot of the system is desired, leave "Auto Reboot" option checked! (example: you already have installed custom ROM based on Android 4+ and want just to replace an outdated Froyo bootloader)
    • Further as described above under steps 3.5 until 3.9

In the following video you can see how bootloader flashing procedure for SITUATION TWO looks like:

VIDEO No.1
    or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJED4wJYG8c

WARNING: Flashing a bootloader is speaking in general terms possibly the most dangerous flashing procedure for any device, so be absolutely sure to know what you're doing- use exclusively Odin 1.0, 1.7, 1.82 or 1.83 for the bootloader flashing procedure and run Odin as administrator! Any mistake by flashing a bootloader like: moved USB cable, electricity shortcut or even Samsung Kies running in background may result in a hard brick!
    I strictly recommend
    to use for this procedure exclusively an already known PC that has been already reliably used for flashing several times. DON'T EXPERIMENT with unknown PC system here! If you flash a bootloader, be aware you do it on your own risk!

4.2: ROOT (for stock ROMs)

ROOT INFO: With root access and custom recovery (like CWM, TWRP etc), we can install any custom ROM (as flashable zip in the recovery mode) which is much safer way than flashing with Odin. Root access also makes us possible to use some of the greatest apps in the universe.
    With a custom recovery, we can create a nandroid backup (image of our entire system) that can be later restored at any point (read FAQ to 1.2)

Easy method to gain root access on i9000 with stock ROM, is to flash a compatible custom kernel, that already features a custom recovery. The correct way for flashing with Odin is already exactly described in the steps 2.6 until 3.2
    Now we will flash only kernel, so instead of steps 3.3 and 3.4 we will just choose the kernel file(tar) under "PDA", leave the "Auto Reboot" option checked (all other options unchecked) and follow further the steps 3.5 until 3.9

Gingerbread root procedure:
    • Option 1: flashing (with Odin) of a SpeedMod kernel for Gingerbread ROMs (be sure to choose the compatible kernel version for your GB build version). All versions of SpeedMod kernel are fast and feature the CWM recovery. In recovery mode under "advanced SpeedMod features" you can choose "ROOT" option, which will flash superuser and busybox, so after reboot your i9000 is rooted.
    • Option 2: flashing (with Odin) of a CF-Root. Also here, be sure to choose the compatible CF-Root version for your GB firmware build from Chainfire's thread. CF-Root is also a kernel that features CWM recovery, some versions root automatically, other just part of it and you can easily do the rest according to Chainfire's description.
    Froyo root procedure:
    • Flash with Odin speedmod-kernel-k13e-500hz.tar that works with all Froyo firmwares (all 2.2 and also 2.2.1).
    • Reboot into recovery mode and choose under "advanced SpeedMod features" the "ROOT" option, which will flash superuser and busybox, so after reboot your i9000 is rooted.
    Video: flashing of a kernel is shown in VIDEO No.3

Root only: (tested by me only for Froyo 2.2.x): with SuperOneClick Root Tool:
    INFO: here you would get just root, without custom recovery
    No download mode will be used here, your i9000 should be switched on - only USB debugging must be enabled for this. Download from one of those links SuperOneclick 2.3.3 by Shortfuse and unzip it with 7-Zip. Connect now your i9000 via USB cable with your PC and wait until the hardware is recognized by your PC. Run now as administrator (unzipped!) Superoneclick 2.3.3 and when the tool opens, just click on the left big button "Root". SuperOneclick will root your phone, you can follow the status in the big left tab. If the tool asks to install Busybox, do it. If the Superoneclick wants to run the test, you can do it but you don't have to do it, sometimes it just freezes...
    Your i9000 is rooted now. To be sure all is fine, you can check the root status with some root-checker app.
    SuperOneClick Root procedure can be seen in VIDEO No.2 (4:30-6:55)

Whole the procedure of unbricking, root and flashing a kernel takes less than 10min if all the files are ready and the drivers are properly installed on your PC. Watch whole the flashing/root procedure in real-time on my VIDEO No.2 without annoying talking:

VIDEO No.2
    or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IjzUrv9Dz4

4.3: UPGRADE TO A CUSTOM ROM

There are so many interesting custom ROMs for the i9000 around. As there were more than 25 million of these device sold worldwide, there is still a lot of development around. Talking only about KitKat (4.4.x) based roms, there is choice of: CyanogenMod 11, Mackay (pure), Mackay OMNI, SlimKat, Carbon, SuperNexus, CyanAOSP, DirtyUnicorns, ParanoidAndroid, Smasher X, Avatar ROM etc.

Each ROM has priority somwhere else so there is no "best" ROM, it is matter of personal choice and needs. The most considerable limitation of the i9000 is its 500MB memory, which is small for today's needs. The benchmark of today for the i9000 with KitKat ROMs is probably Mackay kernel for KK roms that enables 417MB by keeping 720p video possible. That kernel features either CWM or beautiful TWRP recovery.

We have awsome sticky threads for the i9000 here which can help with ROM or kernel choice, like this Soryuu's thread, or many ever-green threads by our important contributor, xsenman.

Video: in VIDEO No.3 one can see how flashing of any kernel with Odin looks like in real time: I've chosen here Semaphore kernel 3.3.0. Any other kernel as Odin package (tar.md5 file) can be flashed the same way

VIDEO No.3
    or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQVj-tPDOXo

TROUBLESHOOTING:
    Some of the problems are quite known and this is how you can solve the most typical situations:
    (all the files flashed with Odin must be in .tar format!)

Troubleshooting section 3 (stock ROM):
    Note: the following red colored errors get displayed just after the modification of the system and can usually be resolved by flashing of an respective file (attached), the procedure with Odin is identic like in the third video (flashing a kernel)! (unzip file with 7zip to get a flashable rar file)

Error:
    Odin didn't flash the firmware completely, nothing happens
    have bit of patience, if nothing happens for 4-5 minutes, this is your checklist:
    • If Kies installed, are you sure it doesn't run in the background? (check with Task Manager and kill Kies process)
    • Don't run your phone in download mode too early: do it just few seconds before flashing a firmware: the i9000 easily get into kind of standby/sleep in the download mode, so prepare the Odin first with all files so the phone can be flashed in the DL mode imediatelly.
    • Did you run Odin as administrator?
    • Are you using a compatible Odin version? Use Odin3 versions: 1.0, 1.7, 1.82 or 1.83 (last)
    Few tips:
    Notebooks with WinXP 32-bit seem to be the most reliable devices for flashing with Odin. Notebooks are in general more reliable than PCs, 32bit systems are more reliable than 64bit systems. Saying that, of course it doesn't mean it won't work with the PCs and 64-bit OS, just be aware of the statistical facts.
    Try different USB port on your PC and use original cable, if damaged try another one. Never move the cable during the flashing process!

Error:
    E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/stl11
    Flash cache.rfs with Odin under "PDA"

Error:
    E:failed to mount /sdcard (File exists)
    E:copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount /sdcard

Flash dbdata.rfs with Odin under "PDA"

Error:
    Boot animation problems
    Flash param.lfs with Odin under "PDA"

Troubleshooting section 4 (root / custom ROM):

Error:
    my device is rooted, but I still don't have root access

Check if superuser and busybox are really installed. Reboot and wait for few minutes, sometimes it just needs bit of time. Alternatively, install SuperSU and let it replace another SU applications.

Error:
    CWM recovery is installed, but I reboot in stock Android recovery

Re-flash CWM recovery, download again, check if your download file is corrupted. Some root kernels don't include CWM recovery, check what do you have. Otherwise you may have flashed incompatible CWM recovery, try to use app "ROM Manager" by ClockwordMod to flash the CWM recovery with.

Error:
    By attempt of flashing CyanogenMod-build.zip my phone stucks in random bootloop in recovery mode

Remove the battery, insert it again and run your phone with 3-button-combo in recovery mode again. Second attempt to flash zip usually works well, in first step CWM recovery was updated and second attempt to flash zip will be succesful.
    For the case that it doesn't help, or you can neither run your phone into recovery mode nor reboot into the OS anymore, just try with different stock ROM or root method/kernel. Your download mode is still accessible then and you won't have any problem to flash again any stock ROM like this guide described above.

Error:
    My screen has dark blue tint all over after flashing a custom ROM
    iD3B1Ef2AymKB.gif

Solution found by pawitp as of February 2014: check this guide by need4steer and hit "thanks" button for both

Error:
    My IMEI number got lost

If your IMEI gets unknown, has only zeros, or displays dummy No "0049..." you may not be able to make calls before you restore it. The issue could happen for several reasons. The i9000 ususally displays "unknown baseband and IMEI" if for some reason modem isn't mounted. You can fix thaht with any root file browser by simply c&p and fixing permissions. Otherwise, under section 1.5 was explained how to backup/restore EFS folder (IMEI No) in Terminal Emulator or with ADB shell (read FAQ 2). If you haven't made any backup at all, try first to flash a stock ROM first. If your last stock ROM was Gingerbread, flash a JVU (try with and without PIT) or JVZ firmware as this procedure often restores the IMEI. If you were on Froyo before it, try to flash a JPU firmware. Otherwise this guide might help you. Restoring of a non-backuped IMEI can be painful and successful methods for one won't help another. Upgrading your phone's OS step-wise (in order: Eclair, Froyo, GB, ICS, JB, KK) usually preserves the EFS folder (IMEI No) and can save you of a headache.

Except for those quite common errors, also other unexpected situations might occur. If that happens, I recommend to check for the solution in awsome xsenman's unbricking guide where really many different situations are described and solutions for each of them.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thanks to:
    We all here are part of an community that shares results of open source projects with the developers, for free.
    Whoever had benefits from this thread, consider to make little donation to the developers who made us all this possible and spend their free time to improve at the end: yours and mine device.
    I am not developer, so the credits go to the developers, please hit there "Thanks" buttons and consider to make little donations to the developers whose work may have brought you benefits, as we all owe special thanks to them:
    • dev @pawitp for bringing us all the CyanogenMod versions (up to presently Android 4.3) to our i9000, without even being an owner of it
    • dev @stratosk for creating the truly amazing Semaphore kernel, a true life-work with compatibility for nearly all Android versions up to date
    • dev Shortfuse for creating SuperOneClick, comfortable noob-friendly way to root the i9000 on Froyo
    • dev @Chainfire for tireless work on the i9000 and plenty of mind-blowing apps, root files and other inventions (who roots 2.3.6 stock ROM will need some of it)
    • dev @hardcore for creating amazing SpeedMod kernel
    • dev Ritesh Sahu for creating fantastic across-ROMs-compatible free apps for backups SMS and call logs in Google Play Store
    I have donated multiple times to all of them, please do the same except if your budget is so tight that you can't buy a beer to the unknown friends.

Please let me know if you discover that any download link from this post doesn't work.
    REMARK: 1.5K downloads, 20K views and only handfull of "thanks" hits? Should I erase all this if it is so useless? Let me know, guys.
    Perfect work!!!Thxs a lot!!!:good::good:

Downgrade from CyanogenMod **** unbrick i9000 **** upgrade to CM without bugs
    For my post it is enough to click "thanks" button if it was helpful. Cheers :)

JVQ is 2.3.3 (later versions = next letters... :) )
    Don't worry about reading, it is good- you learn something.
    Did you make all your backups and did you download compatible kernel?

For the case you would need a 2.3.6, here is IMO the best stock 2.3.6 ROM made for the i9000, equally it is also the very latest update by Samsung for our phone:
    I9000XWJW9_I9000OXAJW4_I9000XWJW1 download link, it has multi-CSC (open Europe) and it isn't branded :)
    This stock ROM really flies if you flash SpeedMod kernel k17-3 on it: under advanced SpeedMod options in CMW recovery (SpeedMod features CWM 2.5.1.0 it has "root / install SU" option)

-Reboot.
    -Flash gapps and Titanium Backup apk -> restore everything with Titanium Backup.

Mate, you can now backup your IMEI nuber (whole EFS folder) just as described in the OP, check this post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45551390#post45551390

Data from 2.3.x migration to 4.4.x (restore):
    • SMS and Call logs: no problems here, as backup that was created in 2.3 can be restored in 4.4 without any problem if you use the recommended apps by developer Ritesh Sahu (PlayStore). Those apps will create their backup folders on your internal sdcard, that won't be wiped after upgrading to a custom ROM. You can also copy that folder somewhere else (external sdcard or PC). The app itself, however, is not recommended to be restored by Titanium Backup! Backups of contacts, calls or SMS made by Titanium Backup wouldn't be possible to restore in your new custom ROM anyway, as TW roms were using uncompatible applications. That's why your contacts should be either synced with your Google account, or exported as .vcf file to your internal sdcard, that file can be successfully imported with any custom ROM.
    • stock ROM with Odin 1.83 / OK
    • root with SpeedMod kernel / OK, just choose compatible kernel version on hardcore's website (depending on the Gingerbread version you have)
    • Flash order: from rooted stock GB you can skip CM7 and go to CM9, then CM10.2 (that will resize your /system partition and give you newest CWM recovery, with which you can flash KitKat). By each upgrade, in the first step the CWM recovery will be upgraded as first, recovery reboot will follow, the ROM will be flashed after that. If CM9 or CM10.2 starts to reboot in loop in recovery mode, simply pull out your battery, run it again in the recovery mode and flash zip. It will work then.
    • Reboot: yes, but after each update! I mean, don't remain in recovery mode and flash one zip after another as that won't work (you wil get a bootloop and can start again from flashing a stock GB rom with Odin :p )
    • Flash Gapps for your desired KitKat / YES
    • Restore everything with Titanium Backup / NO! Developers are warning of doing that as TW roms use in many cases different file system (and use different folders) so restoring apps from stock to custom ROM with Titanium can cause countless issues. Simply install the apps from Play Store again (proper file formatting for your higher Android version will be gained automatically) and you can for example restore only app data with TB if you have Pro version and enable "migrate system data" option (like restoring levels from Angry Birds).
    If you have synced Apps with your Google Account (in the settings --> Accounts --> main Google account), simply flash the Gapps (recommended package from the opening post of your prefered future custom ROM) they will restore automatically after first boot up and login on your Google account, usually just 1-2 minutes later it will start automatically, sometimes you just need to open the Play Store if auto-installing doesn't start from itself. (but don't start to install manually in the Play Store if the auto-install starts, as manual installing can stop the auto-install process)
    The phone usually run smooth after I flashed a new rom, but I didn't take too long until it started to lag again. This is why I wanted to erase "everything".
    I read about the limited hardware and that Lollipop requires more resources. I thought I'd give it a try. It can't be worse.
    I don't mind loosing all data/apps/settings cuz the few apps I use are quickly restored manually. And contacts/txt msgs/pictures/mp3 are already backed up.

What you mention with the max. lifespan/iops of the flash memory is true and could be the cause, but i doubt it because I'm not that much of a power user. Any ways to find out, which sectors of the storage are not writeable anymore?

As for the procedure:
    first factory reset, then wiping of system, cache and dalvik and then flashing of the rom and installing gapps or
    first wiping of system, cache, dalvik, then factory reset and lastly flashing of the new rom and installing gapps?
    Thx for the clarification.

The flash memory will die some day regardless of how heavily it was used.

My wife's i9000 was flashed only 5-6 times before it got unbearably slow, and mine i9000 is still usable despite more than 300 flashings....but it is one year younger/newer. When memory dies, the phone won't boot anymore.

Wiping order has no importance. Factory reset will wipe data, cache and dalvik, so only manually wiping system besides that will last. Good luck :)

tetakpatalked from 1+One