Thanks Meter: 9

By djwillis, Member on 16th September 2011, 04:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th September 2011, 12:57 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwillis

Are you going for a totally clean install as per the guide?

Is your USB stick all setup and bootable?

Assuming you are getting into the Windows setup booting off of the USB stick is it the part where you select the install disk that seems to show no HDD? If it it what was installed on your Shift before?

This sounds like an issue I had when I have Meego running off the HDD before I installed Windows 8 (BtrFS and a different partition layout seem to cause it).

Right i managed to find the problem, only used your quide for the drivers as i installed windows 7 in a similar way, i used CMD and DISKPART to get a pen drive ready and then used XCOPY to move the installation media onto the drive but for some reason even though it said it was finished it was missing out a couple of files inside the sources folder, once i used XCOPY again over the existing media it managed to find the missing files and copy them. So you where right it was a problem with drivers missing from the install media and once they where found it was all clean sailing thanks to your fantastic guide

Thanks again xD

19th September 2011, 04:28 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:

SmartScreen by any chance?

If your getting the green messages the chances are you Ethernet connection is not working (is it USB, does Windows 8 ship with the driver for whatever chip it uses?).

Below is a copy/paste from a comment I made on the guide concerning SmartScreen issues.

Ok thanks it worked.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_alias

I don't suppose you have all the needed drivers and could share them somewhere? i cant get any of the links to work so cant get it ready for the upgrade

Also can the test version be installed fresh? i am trying to get windows 7 working for an upgrade but if it can be done fresh i will do that xD

here is a working link :

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-shift/downloads/
The Following User Says Thank You to bouaroudj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bouaroudj Ad-Free
19th September 2011, 04:43 PM |#13  
OP Member
Flag Bath

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouaroudj

here is a working link :

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-shift/downloads/

Thanks, added that link to the guide, HTC's site seemed to be up and down all weekend but the link you posted seems to work now so lets go with it .

John
21st September 2011, 03:17 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:

Thanks, added that link to the guide, HTC's site seemed to be up and down all weekend but the link you posted seems to work now so lets go with it .

John

I posted a small video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATsD...e_gdata_player

Sorry it's in french :)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bouaroudj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bouaroudj Ad-Free
22nd September 2011, 02:39 PM |#15  
Flag Northeast Ohio, In the Lake
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Has anyone tried this yet on a AT&T tilt? My old tilt is lonely!
22nd September 2011, 03:10 PM |#16  
OP Member
Flag Bath

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz24cavalier

Has anyone tried this yet on a AT&T tilt? My old tilt is lonely!

Hmmm, the Tilt is an ARM based HTC Kaiser, the Shift is a much bigger x86 based UMPC (with a cut down HTC Kaiser effectively shoved in to look after the ARM Windows Mobile side of the device ).

As this is running normal x86 Windows 8 I would not expect to see your old Tilt getting much love from the guide .
22nd September 2011, 05:31 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
sir is it possible to install win(8) on HTC-HD2... r HD7.
22nd September 2011, 06:40 PM |#18  

More
If you want to force the 1024 x 768 resolution to launch Metro apps !

blog.daily-dev .com /?p=271&lang=en

The english is not perfect but you can remove the "&lang=en" to see it in french.

P.S : Sorry for the link format but i'm new on this forum so can't post URL
23rd September 2011, 06:48 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I cannot install Win 8 on my HTC Shift.

I follow the guide but using with 4GB Flash Drive.

any thing help or comments please!

thanks
23rd September 2011, 07:26 AM |#20  
Flag Bruxelles-Brussels

More
Well... I have installed Win8 on the Shift without any trouble.

Overall I find it too slow for being usable. Neither Vista, 7 or 8 seem to be enough responsive.
I am very disappointed by the Metro UI, it is really slow and even in 1152*864 it does not work quite well.

What do you think about Metro UI responsiveness?

I have a lot of trouble getting accurate touch... it shows a circle but it seems that only a FEW (3-4 ?) pixels trigger... so you still have to find the precise point that will get the touch event.. OUCH !
It is especially painful to hit a corner (windows button, the task bar, and the application bar). I have to do almost everything with the mouse.... *SICK*

Intel driver supports several resolution... AMAZING ! but we need two things:
- change the resolution switch from 800*480 - 1024*600 to 800*480 - 1024*600 - 1024*768 - 1152*864 ... or at least get the ability to change the 1024*600.
- change the rotation : as a tablet... the screen rotation is kinda important...but well it is just a detail ;)

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by picheth

thanks

what is the problem?
4GB Flash Drive seem a little bit too small. I have used a HDD of 20GB with the whole partition set as active.
It is for me the fastest and easiest solution to install Windows on the shift.

Have you been able to go to start the installation of Windows 8 ?
You need to press F12 during the boot to choose which drive to boot on.
23rd September 2011, 07:29 AM |#21  
OP Member
Flag Bath

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeeX

If you want to force the 1024 x 768 resolution to launch Metro apps !

blog.daily-dev .com /?p=271&lang=en

The english is not perfect but you can remove the "&lang=en" to see it in french.

P.S : Sorry for the link format but i'm new on this forum so can't post URL

There is no need to do anything like that on the Shift.

The guide includes all the information you need to get Metro apps working (including running the Shift at 1152*864 to use Metro apps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by picheth

thanks

Hi, your going to have to give a little more information than that before anyone can really help you .

How far do you get into the process, what problems are you having? Any error messages?

I also suggest using a 8GB USB stick so you don't run into space issues.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc shift, windows 8

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)