How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

Search This thread

funbacon

Nov 7, 2008
Hanoi
Can I access to system/fonts and remove old font file by using this way ?

I want to replace old font file with new one. I creat a new font fiel with more character for more language

And I have more question : Can I access read write to G1 device without wifi connection ? I don't have wifi router. I'm saving money to get one.

cookzitall

Oct 16, 2007
i followed all the stepps to get root

when i connect thru the telnet app all i see is a bunch of ? and a few boxes...is that root? how do i see the folders? im confused .. can sum1 please help

xtool

Nov 7, 2008
Google has already commented on this issue with update RC30. “We’ve been notified of this issue (Jailbreaking of Android) and have developed a fix. We’re currently working with our partners to push the fix out and updating the open source code base to reflect these changes.”

cmonex

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2006
Budapest
I think you need to experience the things yourself. Yes we are locked down... but at the same time it has nothing to do with Google. I think Google got jipped in the long run. Look at all the ads on TV... "The T-Mobile G1... with google." And at the same time we can still jailbreak it later. Remember we are still learning. People never know how to load custom rom's on new software. Think of it like when a new version of Windows or Mac comes out. It takes time to figure out how to get passed some stupid companies locks so you can customize your software.

Figuring that it has only taken us 2 weeks exactly to jailbreak the device and basically run C compiled software on the device I think we are way ahead of the game. How long did it take to even jailbreak the iPhone? or how long did it take to just learn how to update WM 5 or 6 to 6.1?

You put iPhone and WM on a pedestal, but you don't look at the fact that the android is still a growing baby, and iPhone and WM are both in their older years. Think of it like that, android is still a baby, the iPhone is like the 8-12 year old and WM is like the 16-21 year old. Of course you can do more with the 16-21 year old, and of course things are easier to do with the 8-12 year old and you expected them to talk back to you. But the baby isn't quite developed yet... but at the same time the baby could talk before any of the other kids. Before you know it android is gonna be walking and playing and going to college while the other 2 are going to be in high school still.

Either way I am glad I got my phone. And it won't be much longer before you see the android OS on other phones and the G1 topping all other phones with its numerous updates and overall biggest developer base. With all new things comes an opposition, the difference between success and failure is whether you can convince the opposition.

/rebuttal rant LOL

hmm, well, my opinion...

if you know linux then android's got a really big advantage... you know how most of the system works - and there are quite some people out there who are familiar with linux, or if not, you got a lot of documentation online to learn it.

problem: google already fixed this bug (I agree it had to be fixed, it was horrible how everything you typed got processed, our problem is just a consequence of the fix), now how to jailbreak new g1's? not fun unless we get lucky. this is actually a lot worse than apple's iphone, because apple never bothered to hide the root password :)

BTW i was there when iphone got jailbroken, and it took less time than android, even though overall the hack was less trivial as iphone was a lot more locked down. (cracking the activation required some nice x86 disassembly, and the jailbreak for accessing the filesystem was a very nice trick)

again, reminding you of the real problem. Chainfire is right here. if it wasn't for this, I'd say it could go to college quite fast :)

Last edited:

cmonex

Jul 23, 2006
Budapest
Start a new topic for that stuff if you please...

I went for broke and I bricked mine. (bricked="G1 screen for 1/2 a sec then HTC bootloader, no path to the menu'd exclamation recovery mode") Here's what I did/learned:

Busybox works great
remounted /system rw
copied bbox to /system/bin and symlinked cp, passwd, chown, nc, login, adduser add group, yada
used bbox and a little pasting to add passwd, group and shadow into etc
busybox telnetd worked against the created passwd,shadow and group files and used bb's login
added busybox telnetd to /system/init.rc (init.rc got overwritten on next boot, pre-brick)
edited /system/build.props and added ro-secure = 0 (this probably did it)

The ro.secure property is what adbd checks when deciding to setuid 2000, I think certain files are checksummed for boot as well as for updating.

if you are still stuck (system not booting, recovery not booting), PM me, I have some things to test for the SPL (the tricolour screen) :)

driz

Apr 15, 2006
Louisville
heh well, i tried to go into console mode... init runlevel 3 and uh..

well, dont do that..

Well, pulling the battery and putting is back in fixed that issue.

try doing something like this

cat > /system/etc/passwd << eof
root2:test:0:0:root2:/:/bin/sh
eof

i tried it but im at work so i cant remotely connect in yet

Last edited:

driz

Apr 15, 2006
Louisville
kill -9 -1 seems to reboot your machine, but its much faster than turning off/on or typing reboot. it also kills all running processes for when ur low on ram :)

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
Can I access to system/fonts and remove old font file by using this way ?

I want to replace old font file with new one. I created a new font file with more character for more language

And I have more question : Can I access read write to G1 device without wifi connection ? I don't have wifi router. I'm saving money to get one

I need the answer !!!!

How many times are you going to ask? Yes you can but you have to mount it as read write first

And as far as we can tell... no you need an outside connection to telnet in.

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
How many times are you going to ask? Yes you can but you have to mount it as read write first

And as far as we can tell... no you need an outside connection to telnet in.

I wrote a simple telnet program for Android to give me root access to the running telnetd process (connect to localhost). It's up on the app store.

Byte_76

Aug 4, 2007
Windhoek
Nothing Phone 1
Now that we have root access, is there a way to sim unlock the phone without an unlock code from TMo? I live far away and want to order a phone on ebay where the prices are better for the locked versions.

kudy

Nov 8, 2008
Yep. You better get root while you can, and then protect your phone from OTA updates :). It almost makes me want to go buy a couple and jailbreak them, then wait for the patch and sell them for a premium. lol.

Does anyone have a good idea about how to actually protect the phone from a google update? It would be really disappointing to get my phone in 3 days, only to have google patch it shortly after, blocking me from all the fun!

On the same note, I wouldn't want to block OTA updates, since they are surely going to be necessary/useful changes to the phone. So, anyone have a plan to keep proper root access despite Google's efforts?

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Does anyone have a good idea about how to actually protect the phone from a google update? It would be really disappointing to get my phone in 3 days, only to have google patch it shortly after, blocking me from all the fun!

On the same note, I wouldn't want to block OTA updates, since they are surely going to be necessary/useful changes to the phone. So, anyone have a plan to keep proper root access despite Google's efforts?

See this thread

The idea is to make it so that you can apply modified updates that you sign yourself, while not allowing "official" updates to be installed. You can download the official update, and modify it so that it doesn't take away your root access, and then sign it with your own key and update the phone. Or wait for someone here on the forum or elsewhere to post a modified update :)

LvDisturbed1

Feb 12, 2008
Las Vegas
How do these updates work? I know almost nothing about linux so bear with me. Does it patch certain files, or flash an updated version of the OS? I am curious, because I am looking for a way to port WM to this device.

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
It depends on the update. It can do either or... for instance RC29 flashes a new rom, while RC30 just patchs files.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why should you root your Dream/G1?

Well, hopefully one of those reasons convinced you to get root access on your phone!

Preparing to Get Root on your Phone
    Getting root on your phone involves exploiting a security hole that existed in an early version of Android. The versions with the security holes are known as RC19, RC28, and RC29 (or RC7 or lower for UK phones). As of RC30 (RC8 on UK), Google patched the security hole so that your phone can not be rooted (don't worry, we can still root it!).
    To check your version, go to the Home Screen, click your menu button, choose "Settings", and then click "About phone". You will then see the following screen:
    RC30.png

If you have US-RC30/UK-RC8 or higher, you will first need to downgrade your phone to a previous version. (Skip these steps otherwise)
    1. Format your phone's SD card to FAT32 mode:
      • Hook your phone up to your computer using a USB cable and then wait for the notification to show up in your title bar of your phone.
      • Click the notification, and then click "Mount".
      • A new removable disk should show up on your computer. Right click it and select Format, and select FAT32 as the file system type.
    2. Download and unzip the RC29 or RC7 image file. Copy the DREAIMG.nbh file to the SD card. (RC29 for US, RC7 is for UK)
    3. Turn the device power off.
    4. Hold Camera button, and press Power button to entry boot loader mode. You should see a gray/white screen with instructions to flash your phone with the update on your SD card. If you don't see that, make sure you followed the instructions properly.
    5. As per the on-screen instructions, press the Power button to start upgrade procedure. DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS.
    6. After it is finished, perform the restart your phone.

Rooting your RC29 or lower phone:
    On RC29 phones and lower, anything you type into your keyboard is also being run in a hidden console with root permissions. More information regarding that at the bottom of this post. But, to get root access, do the following:

Instructions:
    1. Download recovery.img or the new version by Amon recovery-RA-dream-v1.5.2.img and copy it to your SD card (see the previous instructions on how to copy from your computer to your Phone's SD card).
    2. Download the Hard SPL and copy the zip file to the SD card.
    3. All files must be on the root of your SD card.
    4. Restart your phone. Wait for your phone to start up fully and show the home screen.
    5. After your phone starts up, hit the enter key twice, type "telnetd" and press enter. (Yes, it will start up a contact search, don't worry. Just type it.)
    6. Download an Android "Telnet" application from the Market and connect to localhost.
    7. If you connect successfully, you will have a root prompt "#".
    8. Type the following into Telnet (these commands will give you root access easier in the future):
      • mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
      • cd sdcard
      • flash_image recovery recovery.img
      • cat recovery.img > /system/recovery.img
    Now you have root!

What To Do Now That You Have Root
    Now that you have root, you will want to apply "Hard SPL" to your phone. HardSPL is what will allow you to apply flash images from other regions (like UK on US phones, and vice versa), create full backups of your phone, install the latest build from the Android source, and usually resurrect your phone if it is "bricked". You have already downloaded the file to your SD card, so now you can apply it.

1. Power off your phone.
    2. Start up in recovery mode by holding home and pressing power.
    3. You will now enter recovery mode. You should see an exclamation.
    4. If you do not see a menu on screen, press Alt-L to show the menu.
    5. Press Alt-S to apply the update from the SD card.
    6. After the update is complete, hold Home and press Back to restart.

And now, the last step! You are still running an old version of Android, but you want to upgrade to the latest and greatest update! You can do this, and not lose root by downloading modified versions of the updates.

First, choose a modified image from the list below:

ADP1.1: (md5: bacc58302e0b239d66c7bcc8db6c434b)
    http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_ADP1.1_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
    http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=24&t=241&rb_v=viewtopic
    http://andblogs.net/2009/01/jesusfrekes-14-images-are-out/

RC33: (md5: f24b6c237775147cb4bc42efc2393973)
    http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_RC33_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
    http://andblogs.net/2009/02/new-rc33-based-images-from-jesusfreke/

RC8: (md5: de2d0d34adbb4015ee3aa5e4e7ca3c07)
    http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_RC8_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
    http://andblogs.net/2009/01/jesusfrekes-14-images-are-out/

1. Download the image.
    2. Rename it to update.zip.
    3. Copy it to your phone's SD card.
    4. Turn your phone off.
    5. Start up in recovery mode by holding Home and pressing Power.
    6. Press alt-W to wipe your device. (You need to do this, or the device may hang at the flashing Android screen)
    7. Press alt-S to apply the update.

And that's it! Remember to check the links up top to learn how to use root to do the advanced things I mentioned.
    Rooting, Hacking, and Flashing your G1/Dream

Reserved for future posting
    I have att, I cannot get to the home screen because I do not have a t-mobile data plan so my gmail gets rejected.

Read this thread http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f41/how-to-use-your-g1-on-at-and-t-without-a-data-plan-8735/
    try this: http://files.lucidrem.us/jf/ROOT/g1_root.txt

i made some abbreviated directions that some people have found very useful

So, I have a Dev Phone1, and stupidly let it apply an OTA update to 1.5. It appears that this (of course) didn't use the rooted version, so here I sit with a Dev phone that's not rooted on version 1.5. My question is does this procedure work with 1.5? My thoughts are to use this to downgrade it to a rooted version of RC33, then get JF's 1.5 build.

Sound about right?
    dream_devphone-userdebug 1.5 crb21 147201 test-keys

can i root??????

you are already 'rooted'
    you just need to read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=831139