Program add on features will not stay unlocked in Windows 8.

Search This thread

schlepprock

Jan 10, 2014
Archdale NC
Hey all, I have a Gateway laptop running Windows 8. I have an auto diagnostics program called Auto Enginuity that I have "add ons" purchased for, when I type to put in the feature unlock key, after a couple days it will no longer be activated. Then when I installed the 8.1 update it will no longer accept the activation key, I can type the key in and it does not hold it. On the same note, I'm running Microsoft Streets and Trips gps software and when I go to update it,it updates like normal but after the update it still says update needed, like it doesn't "hold" any updates or key codes that I install. Any and all advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.. Phil

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Hmm... could be a hardware problem, actually, with data not getting written properly. Do you have an SSD or an actual hard disk? If a magnetic disk, you might try running a good set of diagnostics on it. There are diagnostics for SSDs as well, though I'm not sure if the standard Windows disk check utilities are good for that purpose.

Alternatively, it could be software interference. Do you run any third-party security software (anti-virus or firewall)? Are there any error reports (in the Event Log, or possibly in the install or data folders of those programs)? Are you running the programs in Compatibility Mode?

Have you searched online for help with this issue, or contacted the vendors? XDA is a developer forum, not a support forum. You'd probably have better luck asking MS, for example, about the Streets and Trips issue. Alternatively, there may be support forums for those programs where other users have found, and fixed, the issue.

Also, Gateway is still around and making PCs?!? Whoa... it's like 1998 in here.