(ODIN + CWM 6 + ROOT + Stock) ATT / TMOBILE Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 {SGH-i497} {SGH-T779}

Search This thread

Childofthehorn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
ROM hasn't been made yet.

However, you can download busy box on a rooted phone. Open Terminal Emulator and type this.

"tar -cvf /sdcard/system.tar /system"
"dd if=/dev/block/mmc0p7 of=/mnt/sdcard/boot.img"

Then post those two files (system.tar and boot.IMG) somewhere.

I can deodex and pre-root and pre-busybox a ROM and complete Odin with those features.

I just don't own a Rugby Pro myself. However, its pretty easy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

superseagulls

Apr 23, 2005
T-Mobile version - SGH-T779

Finally gotten around to trying this, as I have been travelling for a few weeks, can confirm root worked perfectly thanks!!

Now to hope for some AOKP love, gotta love their Roms!!

ROM hasn't been made yet.

However, you can download busy box on a rooted phone. Open Terminal Emulator and type this.

"tar -cvf /sdcard/system.tar /system"
"dd if=/dev/block/mmc0p7 of=/mnt/sdcard/boot.img"

Then post those two files (system.tar and boot.IMG) somewhere.

I can deodex and pre-root and pre-busybox a ROM and complete Odin with those features.

I just don't own a Rugby Pro myself. However, its pretty easy.

rmancl

Aug 22, 2007
Miami, FL USA
Do you still need a system dump and boot img for the tmobile version? I have the system dump, but i'm having trouble getting the boot image. What is the command i should use to get it? Also where do you recommend that i post the system file, it is rather large?

Childofthehorn

Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
Run in terminal or over adb:

pm list packages -f

That will show you all of your packages, apk name, and apk location.

Jorge81

Jun 23, 2012
Rochester, NY
Guess I'm not that advanced yet, be back to check on further updates. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using XDA Premium HD app

PieceKeepr

Jun 13, 2010
Florida
OnePlus 8 Pro
Childofthehorn
will this root work with the SCH-I915 Verizon ?

I honestly have no idea! That Model Number did not appear in the code, however the hardware is the same and considering the partition table is almost exactly like the D2 it just might.

IF YOU DO SO, YOU DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible!

Worst Case scenario, you will not be able to "wipe" your device in case of a failure easily until you perform a Manual update using Kies (usually the Samsung firmware has the recovery.img in it, but no guarantees!).

Get me a Copy of the Recovery.img or Full Odin Image for that device and I can probably make it work. The same would be true of the new SPH-P500 for Sprint. I do not have a Verzion version so I cannot test it. If you are a willing volunteer, let me know.

The Gtab2 10.1 LTE is Basically a Blown up Galaxy S3. However I am quickly finding that the AOSP D2 Kernel source doesnt like me much... erg.

I read through the thread but did not see this answered. I also have a SCH-I915 that I would love to get rooted. Can you explain how to get the files you need and I'll try to provide them. Thanks

Childofthehorn

Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
Well one important question is if the boot loader is locked on the Verizon version of the 10 like it was on the 7.

More than likely, using the unlocked boot loader from the 7 might unlock it if it is locked.

One potential thing to do is take the system image from Sam mobile for the sprint version and put it on the Verizon. If it let's you do it... Its not locked.

I just have no idea on the Verizon as I don't have one.

Reactions: PieceKeepr

rebel4g

Oct 3, 2012
Omg can someoe please make a Rom for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T779 using xda premium

Childofthehorn

Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
Omg can someoe please make a Rom for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T779 using xda premium

Download and Install Busybox (Stericson) from Google Play :

Download Terminal Emulator:

Open Terminal Emulator

Run these commands

"su"
"mkdir /sdcard/rom-backup"
"tar -cvf /sdcard/rom-backup/ics-system.tar /system"

Send me ics-system.tar

I can deodex, add busybox, and add root.

Its really easy. Android Kitchen is all you need.

Hellation

Aug 24, 2010
Tampa, FL
Download and Install Busybox (Stericson) from Google Play :

Download Terminal Emulator:

Open Terminal Emulator

Run these commands

"su"
"mkdir /sdcard/rom-backup"
"tar -cvf /sdcard/rom-backup/ics-system.tar /system"

Send me ics-system.tar

I can deodex, add busybox, and add root.

Its really easy. Android Kitchen is all you need.

Do you still need the system.tar? and where would I upload it?

Hellation

Aug 24, 2010
Tampa, FL
Yes, I do!

Please use something like sendspace (500mb limit - so compress the tar with 7zip or bzip) or Mega.co.nz

Uploading now to Mega, sendspace limited to 300mb for free users. Its in the form of a .7z, so I will PM you or you can a email addy or I can just PM the link if there's a way. Just want to help get some development started one day if possible.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Hopefully you got the link to the system.tar let me know if you didn't

rmancl

Aug 22, 2007
Miami, FL USA
Uploading now to Mega, sendspace limited to 300mb for free users. Its in the form of a .7z, so I will PM you or you can a email addy or I can just PM the link if there's a way. Just want to help get some development started one day if possible.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Hopefully you got the link to the system.tar let me know if you didn't

You just beat me, i was about to do the same thing. lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After a bunch of work, I present to you WORKING CLOCKWORKMOD!
    IMG_20130115_122504.jpg

*Big thanks to those of you who worked on the d2att, that code was invaluable for getting a working graphics driver and some unknowns I could not see.*

Confirmed on:
    - SGH-i497 (ATT)
    - SGH-T779 (T-Mobile)

You can also use this to get ROOT!

Requirements:
    - Windows Computer with Samsung Drivers installed
    - Odin if on Windows/Heimdall on Linux
    - sdcard in the /sdcard slot

1. Download my Odin package here:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58849669/espresso10att/cwm_recovery_espresso10att_childofthehorn.tar.md5

2. Download SuperSu from Chainfire and copy to your sdcard:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

3. Open Odin (as administrator) and hit the "PDA" button, remember to uncheck the reset

4. Mount Device into Download Mode (PWR, Vol) and Hit go on Odin once it appears.

5. Once Finished, Reboot into Recovery

6. Backup your existing image

7. Flash SuperSu from SDcard

8. WInning.

TO RETURN TO STOCK RECOVERY USE THIS ODIN FLASHABLE:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58849669/espresso10att/espresso10_stock_childofthehorn.tar.md5

****In the process of doing this, I had to bust my /system in order to get the files required.
    I would strongly appreciate if anyone can send me a copy of their boot.img and either a copy of their system.img or system.tar.ext4 made by clockworkmod. ****

Part of doing this was integrating everything with the d2-variant build chains in CM9 and CM10. Say thanks in the Thread if you like this or promote this thread so it makes it to the main page.

GITHUB: https://github.com/childofthehorn/espresso10att

Thanks Guys!
    Well, my situation has not changed much since I was last here.... :rolleyes: I have root/superuser on my I497... :D I use several super user programs like ES file explorer and SD maid and all work fabulous, and all is well with the stock rom(since it's all we have)... I have tweaked to my satisfaction for the most part.... My ONLY issue at this point is..... If I boot recovery (doesnt matter which one TWRP, CWM, or Phil's) it's for the most part a moog point..... I get all kinds of mounting errors and almost zero functionality... :( Not sure what the problem is... any ideas???:confused:

You can try my newly built TWRP for sgh-i497: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cp350bzzrszblt/recovery_twrp2.6.3.0_tselling.tar.md5
    Working fine for me.
    Glad to hear it guys!

Very happy to know it works just as well on the T-mobile one.

I can get some custom ROMs going if I can get a copy of someone's /system and boot.img .

First goal is CM9 and then a migration to CM10.1 once that is pretty stabile.

Luckily for us, we have two amazingly complete CM sources with the d2att ( and nice d2 kernel chain!) and p5100 which cover most of our requirements as far as setup and drivers/libs.

Thank You for the support. If you like this, check out my site, say thanks, and/or vote this up onto the main site for a post so it is more visible.

I will be posting the original stock recovery.IMG in Odin flash able later tonight.

Glad to know it works guys.

Yeah I worked with Chainfire in getting him some pieces for the CF auto root and triangle away for the tab. Hopefully that holds you guys over.

I also have some custom stock kernels if anyone is interested.

Sorry I haven't been one it. I work a lot of long hours and have been programming like a Mofo. I do Android and mobile development full time so.... Work is in high demand!

BTW guys added in the device to CM10.1 and added the Tab to the D2 device set.

I am hunting down some surface flinger and kernel configs ATM. You will have full USB host support and I am baking in some other capabilities.

Let's just say that I have some other drivers to get working as well, like any device.

If anyone wants to join in the fun I am usually hanging in the teamhacksung and the team rugby IRC channels helping others with questions on porting/drivers/etc. At some point I will upgrade the CWM to 6 and have a somewhat "working" TWRP that needs some tweaking. Just haven't had the required time.

Sucks that Samsung didn't release the AOSP source pieces. Mostly just have D2 stuff to go on since as everyone knows, the ATT source is not complete.

Thanks for the Good words.

Oh, and BTW T-Mobile doesn't program anything, they just send it out. The problem likely lies in someone not making a fully separate device tree over at Samsung. The two share sooooo many common sources, likely it was from someone merging that stuff into the espresso10-d2 common overlays. No biggie everyone! Happens!

Sent my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Umm... Thanks? I got past init and now have healthd from the qualcomm statics has a bit of an issue. More patches to come. Mind you I am never spending more than 30min every couple days so it just takes time.