Smart IR Remote app by Color Tiger

Search This thread

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
I noticed this app is on sale for $5. It looks nice, but there doesn't appear to be a trial or anything. Has anyone used this app before? How does it work? Is it any good/worth the cash? It gets good reviews, but I rather hear from the horse's mouth what the thoughts are. Does it seem to support pretty much everything? Anyone know if it supports DirectTV boxes? Can it be used with a HTPC that has a IR module? Can you configure the interface the way you like or are the screens only the way the dev wants them?

AMoosa

Sep 24, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I had a dodgy apk of it, since it had been taken off the Play Store. I have now bought it while it's on offer. Excellent app. Simple universal remote control with a brilliant widget. And now the tablet version and HTC version are all built into one app. I'd recommend it. Well worth 5 bucks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Sadly it said it was on sale until midnight tonight. Saw it in the play store for $4.99, went to buy it and it was about to charge $9.99. Went to email the author, came back to try again and now play store had it at $9.99. Guess I'll wait for another sale...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
I guess a follow-up question (maybe I should make a new thread?) is this:

Are there any good free universal remotes? I tried a few and they are like "You can control any TV before 1990 for free" or "you can control these 2 types of TV" and then you have to pay.

I'm just looking for a free one that's decent until a really good one goes on sale again. I regret not getting this one. :(

mbze430

Feb 28, 2007
Southeast Missouri
I also use Smart IR Remote. Works great for the most part, but it can't learn. due to Samsung's implementation

Anyone know if it supports DirectTV boxes?
I personally don't have DirecTV anymore, but it has about 20 codes for DirecTV boxes.

Can you configure the interface the way you like or are the screens only the way the dev wants them?
SOME buttons can be rearranged but not all... new buttons can be added as well in empty spots

Can it be used with a HTPC that has a IR module?
Yes, but since the Samsung can't learn it might be limited by that.

Last edited:

p107r0

Jan 29, 2010
I guess a follow-up question (maybe I should make a new thread?) is this:

Are there any good free universal remotes? I tried a few and they are like "You can control any TV before 1990 for free" or "you can control these 2 types of TV" and then you have to pay.

I'm just looking for a free one that's decent until a really good one goes on sale again. I regret not getting this one. :(

There's one, free and working for some devices, there's also available USB receiver: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317635

Sent from my GT-N5100 using xda premium

chopper the dog

Oct 17, 2008
The blood bath known as Chicago IL.
Since I was playing with house money (the $25 google play credit for registering the note 8.0) I snagged the smart remote app at the $6.99 sale price and I really like it. I have 3 tv's on my wall along with a wall mounted touch screen jukebox with infrared support. It was easy to come up with one page of the only needed buttons for all 3 tv's and juke box. I also edited the apk and added some images of local channels that were added to quick channel macros. The screen scrolls and includes the same channel macros for each of my other 2 tv's. The main power button in the upper left is a macro that sends power toggle to the 3 tv's and audio system.

9jFhIuyz

**edit** Forgot to add that I have 4 zones of lighting controlled via infrared that is also handled in my main screen.

good day.

Last edited:

craigkahn

Mar 28, 2010
Topanga, CA
Missing button for DirecTV

Just got this app and so far everything functions well except it seems to be missing the "LIST" button for DirecTV. Does anyone else use the Smart IR Remote with DirecTV? Am I missing something?

usn.mustanger

Jul 22, 2010
Since I was playing with house money (the $25 google play credit for registering the note 8.0) I snagged the smart remote app at the $6.99 sale price and I really like it. I have 3 tv's on my wall along with a wall mounted touch screen jukebox with infrared support. It was easy to come up with one page of the only needed buttons for all 3 tv's and juke box. I also edited the apk and added some images of local channels that were added to quick channel macros. The screen scrolls and includes the same channel macros for each of my other 2 tv's. The main power button in the upper left is a macro that sends power toggle to the 3 tv's and audio system.

9jFhIuyz

**edit** Forgot to add that I have 4 zones of lighting controlled via infrared that is also handled in my main screen.

good day.

Chopper, how did you get the channel icons on those favorite channel buttons?
Also, is there a way to get that directional pad on a DirecTV remote?

le0.br4zuc4

Jun 8, 2010
Boca Raton, FL

9jFhIuyz

good day.

How did you put the channel icons on the buttons?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

chopper the dog

Oct 17, 2008
The blood bath known as Chicago IL.
I don't use a dvd player so most of the custom icons for skip, play, rewind etc. were not used. I just replaced those icons in the apk with my local channel icons and resigned the apk and installed. I created macros for favorite channels and applied the channel icon within app. You can get icons from here http://www.iconharmony.com/icons/watchtv?category=harmonyOne. I did have a little contact with the app dev and they are working on "favorite" channel buttons that will also allow for adding icons from sd. The dpad only gets used within a universal remote. Create a new universal remote named direct tv and apply the commands and buttons from you direct tv remote in the edit mode and hide your original direct tv remote from the remote list.

good day.

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
I ended up buying it. Love the fact that I'm down to 1 remote (the Note 8). Sadly, two apps though since this won't work with my Roku. I have to use their app. Still, for two DirectTV, two TV's, and two DVD players (7 remotes total). It's a godsend!

TC93

Mar 2, 2011
I bought it but ended up choosing a refund soon after due to it being *very* hard to read the text in the settings. Its like its blurry or something on its black background.

Is it just me that experienced this?

I wanted this app but doubt I will buy it until that changes. The font displayed on the app screenshots are not the blurry text I saw in the app itself.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

qwerty7th

Nov 19, 2011
I bought this app because it was on sale last week. It is a good app and highly customizable with its several blank button. The macros help me to set one button to control several device at once and also build a single remote/interface to control some basic command for several devices.

I have several remote which are not listed in the app so I send the app developer an email. Gladly, they reply it within a day. They point out that some of my unlisted remote actually already in the list but with difference name specially for Panasonic tv (they keep reuse same remote code for their line of product). They also said will try to add one of my unlisted remote code if possible. That's 1 star for good after sales service.

But I really hope it has learning function, which later I learn it is a limitation from Samsung side.

Anyway, using Note 8.0 as a remote is not really practical for it large size. Normal phone size is okay but not Note 8.0.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

I bought it but ended up choosing a refund soon after due to it being *very* hard to read the text in the settings. Its like its blurry or something on its black background.

Is it just me that experienced this?

I wanted this app but doubt I will buy it until that changes. The font displayed on the app screenshots are not the blurry text I saw in the app itself.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app

I don't have that blurry text problem specially not in setting. But when I press the setting button at the top right, it showed 3 more button ( SETTING, EDIT and RENAME). These 3 text are a bit blurry.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium HD app

Svirusx

Jun 6, 2015
AnyMote Smart Remote - .amsr

Long time ago i had Nokia 3650 Symbian... :)
i had totalirremote app. It had include large database IR codes , but now on my galaxy s6 must all time connect to internet for download new codes :(

i found downloaded codes ( saved remotes) in /data/data/com.remotefairy (root access)
files named e.g. 092837582.json but download all codes singly a lot of time :(
Is possible to download their IR remotes database and save. Later import it offline without connect to internet?