[APP] Genie widget (Google news and weather)

Search This thread

Nate2

Dec 11, 2010
I'm using v1.3.04 on my unrooted Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4.3).
This is the best News and Weather app around.
Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

alexisalex72

Aug 12, 2014
Have you access to menus with the 1.3.11 version?
Menus are not present on 1.3.04

How to Change the permissions to install 1.3.11 on Galaxy s5?

thank you

FlyingsCool

Jun 18, 2010
Is anyone else having trouble with the weather portion of the app? It stopped being able to download weather a few days ago. I've tried rebooting, clearing data and cache. I have a Note 5 with 6.0.1 Marshmallow on T-Mobile.

It seems as though it can't figure out its location.
I'm using wifi and network for location, GPS is off. It's worked fine for years in that configuration.

Is there some other way to clear it's cache than by using the button on the Applications settingssettings page on a stock phone?

Last edited:

samsung_a460

May 20, 2016
same problem - can't load weather

I'm having the same problem as FlyingsCool above. The weather is not loading. It just says "There was a network error. Try again later." This started happening a few days ago.

I cleared the dalvik-cache, cleared all data, rebooted, and no luck.

Any one have any ideas ? Is it still working for anyone ? Did Google change something - maybe server of the data location ? Recently the Google Now and Google + apps have been updated. Could this have broken something ?

Nobby1960

Jun 3, 2016
Freiburg
Since a few days I had no weather report, but news. Since today: "Network error, please try it later". My smartphone is an older Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360. Unfortunatelly I can't install the current version from Google Play Center, cause I have Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Is there any solution? This was a great app, I find nothing comparable. Did Google change something on their servers?

Thanks in advance!

iAlisa

Apr 14, 2014
Looks like it's completely dead now. Too bad. Loved this app. Just so simple yet powerful.

Since a few days I had no weather report, but news. Since today: "Network error, please try it later". My smartphone is an older Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360. Unfortunatelly I can't install the current version from Google Play Center, cause I have Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Is there any solution? This was a great app, I find nothing comparable. Did Google change something on their servers?

Thanks in advance!

Technology Genocide ! 201605?? in Japan ! - The Group of Seven (G7) ''(G8)'' is an informal bloc of industrialized democracies--the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and the United Kingdom--that meets annually to discuss issues such as global economic governance, international security, and energy policy.
The Lightbulb Conspiracy (Full Length - English Subtitles) YouTube

Only. News & Weather BY Awnry Software (News & Weather v1.7.0 (OS 2.3) APK) Pacage: com.awnry.android.nawnry
playg00gle
A simple app that keeps you updated with the latest news and local weather information, with an optional home screen widget.

Last edited:

FlyingsCool

Jun 18, 2010
Are you talking about the same app as discussed here? Yes, the released version of Google News and Weather found in the play store is working fine.

Those of us who are having problems are talking about the app which is the subject of this thread; the OP released an updated version of Genie app 1.33 many moons ago that worked on later versions of Android. Now, after I updated my Note 5 to Marshmallow, this app stopped working for me (coincidental? I don't know). I don't like the 2.x and onward versions of the Google News app, this version is much more elegant and useful to me. They screwed up the weather graph and other things as far as I'm concerned.

FlyingsCool

Jun 18, 2010
Did you try last version? I cannot see much difference in weather graphs. Or maybe I got used to new version? Anyway it is as usefull as always. Life goes on...

Yes, as noted, I don't like it. But that's just me. For weather, Weather Underground has the weather graph closest to what Genie 1.3 had. News, eh, Flipboard and others, for that. I don't trust the news much, anyway... it's all so biased these days, and so often just plain wrong.

samsung_a460

May 20, 2016
@ tweakradje
I completely agree with FlyingsCool - don't like the new Google News and Weather app. We'd like the old genie version (subject of this thread) to work. Not just the look of the add, but also the new version uses more data than the old, simpler version of the app. Some people have limited (capped) data plans and don't need all that fancy graphics that use additional data.

tweakradje

Then don't buy a new phone ever year that comes with new OS :)

No serious. Hard to say why it is not working. Some gapps rely heavily
on Google play services. Maybe use logcat command to find what is wrong.
Anyway good luck with finding a work around if you persist using old app with new OS.

I don't see any more data traffic then old version. I manage the pages at news.google.com
to read exactly what I want to read. On top I have disabled background data for News and Weather App.
So it only refreshes when it is on foreground (mostly with Wifi connection then).

If you want this app only as weather app there are many more that give you sort of same data.

Cheers

Last edited:

Ducter

Jan 10, 2009
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Found this app the other day and been using it since, it's about as close to a copy of Google's original app that you could ask for. Since they updated it with transparent widget support it's basically the same as the modified genie widget I use to use. I will say tho I am rooted with adaway so I can't comment on ads as I don't see them.

Google play

j.yossarian

Dec 21, 2016
for those who wants to know why the orig app has stopped working:

it sends an plain http (not https) POST request to google (/m/appreq) of a body containing your location, but google returns 404.

`com.awnry.android.nawnry` app, that is suggested above, do look similar to old GinieWidget but displays ads :(

Reactions: FlyingsCool

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is version 1.3.3 of the Google News and Weather widget.

I have tested 1.3.4 but I found that news sorting as not OK some times.

How to use:

- install with adb install -r GenieWidget.1.3.3.apk or whatever method
    - add News and Weather widget to you home screen (I use 4x1 News and Weather)
    - select Google news items (they are localized)
    - add custom news items (see below)

The info the app uses comes from Google news. If you add custom news try the keywords first at news.google.com to see the results.

I like to add custom tweakers.net info so I type: site:tweakers.net as keywords

Weather comes indirectly from weather channel. So lookup you location first at Weather Channel.

(un)install info:

If it is system app (in ROM) overwrite original:
    adb remount (mounts /system rw)
    adb push GenieWidget.1.3.3.apk /system/app/GenieWidget.apk
    adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget-1.apk@classes.dex
    adb reboot

If it is user app just use:
    adb install -r GenieWidget.1.3.3.apk
    adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget-1.apk@classes.dex
    adb reboot

so app and dex go to:

Apk:
    /data/app/com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget-1.apk (user app)

Dex:
    /data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget-1.apk@classes.dex

Data:
    /data/data/com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget

Cache:
    /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget.news-content-cache

Cheers

EDIT1: looks like there is a bug in the genie widget. If you add more then 2 own news subjects
    it cannot sort these pages by date. Please confirm.

EDIT2: to solve above problem it looks like I had to clear /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@GenieWidget.apk@classes.dex
    and reboot

EDIT3: Added 1.3.11 Runs from 2.3 and up, looks better on ICS/JB, no big changes.
    You have to change/fix permissions. Compare the permissions from .04 and .11 Make .11 the same as .04

Just to add to the clarification. You don't install it. Put it in the system/app folder then change permissions, and reboot. Once it reboots it will be in your app drawer. Root Explorer works great for me. I've added many system apps like that. Make sure you change your folder explorer to R/W from R/O.

Follow the white rabbit... Sent from the Galaxy...
    Weather channel api is not working at the moment. Dunno why. Same here.

Cheers
    Thanks.

Out of seven different GenieWidget.apk I found, yours is the only one that works on my custom Samsung/Android ROM.
    Sorry about the confusion but 1.3.04 = 1.3.4

Cheers