What is your i/o score on quadrant?

Search This thread

vtec2k7

Account currently disabled
Feb 7, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
Mine is .30 firmware, stock rom, rooted, performance mode. IO: 1217
Terrible number compared to what I could be receiving. What are the io scores on the tf300 and tf201?

CandyAndy

Jul 29, 2009
ZEUS v4.0 is a great rom. I might go back, but JB is a bit smoother...

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

From your results it only looks like Infinity is "crushed" on I/O (we know) and 2D, and yes, memory could be better but not horrible. Infinity is better on CPU and 3D, which may be great for some things. Plus, think about the fact that a phone, even with a relatively high screen resolution, still has so many fewer pixels to drive, and with somewhat comparable hardware. It's surprising that the GS3 doesn't do better than it does.

Agree with the resolution but actually the horrible mem and I/O results that otherwise good cpu and 3D will be wasted in everyday use. That is why this is so frustrating product. There is gold around it but **** inside.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

Vo01985

Jan 13, 2011
On another note, why is our 2D performance so poor?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Mine is .30 firmware, stock rom, rooted, performance mode. IO: 1217

1122 on performance mode, stock rooted, no tweaks.

Even if doubled, those are some pretty sorry scores. The Teg3 One X is 8184 and the Note 10.1 is 7009. Even the original Kindle Fire on 2.3.5 scores significantly better. It uses a Samsung moviNAND controller/NAND module combo that was released in 2010. The new KF HD has a dedicated IO controller (like the One X and the Note 10.1). IO isn't rocket science.

zenaxe

May 30, 2010
Mine was 1095 in perf mode. Turned off WiFi/BT/autorotate and retest: 1242 :eek:

A significant increase, but still terrible enough to be embarrassingly bad.

Diogenes5

May 2, 2012
Houston, TX
They cheaper out and used a class 4 SD card it seems. Random write and read is incredibly important for smooth operation and even generation old ssd drives have better performance than this(while being almost as cheap). Asus really messed up here.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using xda app-developers app

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Vellamo Benchmark tells a different story

Using the new Vellamo Benchmark tool, which is actually optimized for Qualcomm devices, I was able to get a score of 1463 in HTML5 and 444 in Metal (hardware). These scores placed my TF700 in 3rd place, after SGS3 and the HTC OneXL. Check it out and see what scores you get so I have something to compare with. TF Prime was much lower.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Vellamo Benchmark tells a different story

Not really. Here's what Vellamo tests. Out of the six "metal" tests only one has anything to do with IO. Strong CPU/GPU performance could easily mask a low IO score. What's your individual score on each of the six Metal tests? HTML5 is a single-threaded browser test and has little or no IO interaction. Since this is really a conversation about IO, Vellamo's not really a good reference. It is a pretty cool test though. Has anyone posted AndroBench scores for a TF700 running Zeus? Someone above tweaked some code and in the process got excellent SQL scores but tanked sequential reads and all the macro results. Jacking up one number at the expense of others isn't going to help overall IO performance.

Metal =

Dhrystone - Integer computing performance of the CPU
Linpack - Floating point performance of the CPU
Branch-K - RAM test
Stream 5.9 - Memory bandwidth
RamJam - RAM read/write/copy
Storage - IO

Here's a breakdown of a Note's scores:

woodsonmh

Dec 2, 2010
my io score was 1237, at the same time my cpu speed was 14730. the fastest on my quadrant chart. maybe tf is slower transferring files but it blows every thing out of the water when data arrives. memory is a lot faster too. does a faster cpu and memory offset slow io? its does on overall test results but how about real world? my experience is yes it does. my acer 500 io is at least 4 times faster than tf. cpu is less than half that of tf. 500 seems sluggish and tf screen is so much better. i notice io when transferring files, to and from computer, to and from external hard drive, and doing mass program backups, task i am not doing very often. daily use not so much.
woody

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: okantomi

hajalie24

Apr 9, 2011
Mine was something include the low 1000s before unlocking and using zeus's rom. Now's it's in the 3500s

Edit: 4133 in performance mode

Last edited:

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Asus must have went to different memory in the N7. My N7 scores below

Screenshot_2012-09-22-22-41-26_zps68d7ab80.png

My TF700 scores

Screenshot_2012-09-22-22-50-18_zps7bd0539b.jpg

HoushaSen

Jul 10, 2012
Asus must have went to different memory in the N7. My N7 scores below

Screenshot_2012-09-22-22-41-26_zps68d7ab80.png

My TF700 scores

Screenshot_2012-09-22-22-50-18_zps7bd0539b.jpg

They are indeed different but you must have your nexus 7 overclocked and or custom rom innstalled? Because as i recall stock benchmark on nexus 7 io were also as Low as infinity. Then there are people with custom rom and overclock had 12000 or some insane io value.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
They are indeed different but you must have your nexus 7 overclocked and or custom rom innstalled? Because as i recall stock benchmark on nexus 7 io were also as Low as infinity. Then there are people with custom rom and overclock had 12000 or some insane io value.
Yes, because it is a nexus device, all source code is available and there is zero skinning to have to work through. Devs are now having the Android equivalent of drag races to see who can make the cpu/gpu scream the loudest...well you get my drift. I got a Nexus 7 pretty early on, and believe me, it was nothing too impressive until motley and team eos and the others started getting revved up.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
One is in balanced mode and the other performance.

Thanks. Kind of what I suspected. Top left is your (best) score, top right is BxMxK's that he posted a couple of pages back. He said he tweaked some settings that improved his scores. The improved Quadrant scores on Zeus are based on the faster SQL time. What's happening though is you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. The SQL numbers improve dramatically but at the expense of reads, especially sequential. The macro performance (browser, market, camera, and camcorder) also suffer. Like Vellemo, Quadrant's IO component is four simple tests - file and database reads/writes. Zeus' tweaking of SQL is what's causing the database scores to improve in Quadrant (half the test) and the scores to show the improvement they do. But if you run IO-specific benchmarks like AndroBench and RL Benchmark you'll see that the better SQL performance comes at the expense of other IO functions. In other words, the pie isn't getting bigger the sizes of the slices are being shifted. So while the tweaks are good for benchmarks actual day-to-day performance will suffer because of the pretty significant drops in read speed which is more often used. For comparison, the screen shot on the bottom left is a JB TF300 and a Note on the right.

Bottom line is that without a dedicated IO controller there's only so many functions that can be performed concurrently. That also explains the universally poor write results. All Zeus and BxMxK's tweaks are doing is giving higher priority to the SQL calls at the expense of others. The biggest issue that Anand confirmed in his testing can't be overcome with s/w. And that is concurrent processes overwhelming the NAND solution Asus is using and turning what should normally be sequential (faster) processes in to random (slower) ones. He posted a video demonstrating this where a background download destabilizes the browser. People will see different results based on the apps they use, the background syncs they have going, and whether or not they’re doing IO related things at the same time. That explains why some people notice IO related issues and others don't. One other thing to note. With JB Google is introducing much more multithreading support including in the OS itself. As more apps are rewritten to take advantage of this more concurrent processes will be introduced. That’s not a good thing based on Asus’ NAND implementation and may be one of the reasons they moved off of it for the N7. So that's pretty much the state of the union.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Interesting stuff

Ok. Maybe the nand in the Infinity isn't the greatest, however, the way Androbench is being used is almost worthless. I had tried it several times before I noticed the cache settings. It's using a 256k read buffer and 4k write buffer by default? Wtf? How does that show any measure of performance? By piling up system write calls?

Turn the buffers up to 2048k and try it. Now your sequential and randoms speeds can almost match.

The major hangup with this tablet's IO is just like any other linux box with an SSD. Poor file system management.

Granted the overall read/write speeds could be much faster... but until ASUS or some dev with plenty of time on his/her hands tweaks the file system to manage IO more efficiently this tab is just going to choke and sputter until something better comes along. Until then, any agonizing over these benchmarks is just is retarded.

Just for fun though... Here's a 10k+ Quadrant I/O in normal mode :rolleyes:
    Thanks. Kind of what I suspected. Top left is your (best) score, top right is BxMxK's that he posted a couple of pages back. He said he tweaked some settings that improved his scores. The improved Quadrant scores on Zeus are based on the faster SQL time. What's happening though is you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. The SQL numbers improve dramatically but at the expense of reads, especially sequential. The macro performance (browser, market, camera, and camcorder) also suffer. Like Vellemo, Quadrant's IO component is four simple tests - file and database reads/writes. Zeus' tweaking of SQL is what's causing the database scores to improve in Quadrant (half the test) and the scores to show the improvement they do. But if you run IO-specific benchmarks like AndroBench and RL Benchmark you'll see that the better SQL performance comes at the expense of other IO functions. In other words, the pie isn't getting bigger the sizes of the slices are being shifted. So while the tweaks are good for benchmarks actual day-to-day performance will suffer because of the pretty significant drops in read speed which is more often used. For comparison, the screen shot on the bottom left is a JB TF300 and a Note on the right.

Bottom line is that without a dedicated IO controller there's only so many functions that can be performed concurrently. That also explains the universally poor write results. All Zeus and BxMxK's tweaks are doing is giving higher priority to the SQL calls at the expense of others. The biggest issue that Anand confirmed in his testing can't be overcome with s/w. And that is concurrent processes overwhelming the NAND solution Asus is using and turning what should normally be sequential (faster) processes in to random (slower) ones. He posted a video demonstrating this where a background download destabilizes the browser. People will see different results based on the apps they use, the background syncs they have going, and whether or not they’re doing IO related things at the same time. That explains why some people notice IO related issues and others don't. One other thing to note. With JB Google is introducing much more multithreading support including in the OS itself. As more apps are rewritten to take advantage of this more concurrent processes will be introduced. That’s not a good thing based on Asus’ NAND implementation and may be one of the reasons they moved off of it for the N7. So that's pretty much the state of the union.

OK, OK, we've got it...our $600 device has crappy hardware that makes it have poor benchmark performance and nothing we can do will make it better...we will always be "robbing Peter to pay Paul" so are you happy now? I'm really going to stop participating in this absolutely fruitless game and go back to enjoying my fabulous Infinity TF700 tablet and keyboard dock. I'll watch my movies, browse and read and write and listen to music to my heart's content. Enjoy your Sunday....over and out!
    So can it actually be fixed in a software update? If not, that's quite awful really

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

The honest answer is nobody knows. Barry's point is one view but he's not a programmer (as far as I know) and though he does use objective data, his conclusion is simply his opinion and does sound logical but may not necessary be true statement (nor false). So my opinion or other guys in this forum are technically as good as Barry's as long as we have done the background research as Barry did. ;)

The issue is all of us are simply making a guess. There is no doubt we can improve overall function. The question is simply by how much. It may not have to be the extreme the best I/O in the world before you notice the issue completely eliminated in day to day use. However, I think nobody really knows by how much it improves by software and whether the degree be enough. The other question is if ASUS is capable and willing to spend the effort to achieve the goal. So if you still have an option to return or trade your TF300 (based on your signature), you probably should as there is no promise.

Most of us (I believe) keep this tablet because we like what it does at this point, and hoping to have even better experience in the future.

One thing though I think would be nice is someone with Zeus ROM to have some video clips to show some day to day activity clips to see how much I/O issue had been eliminated. Again, benchmark become irrelevant if you can eliminate the issue at the end user front.

Though this basically raises the question what function do you think is affected by I/O? Doing something else while downloading a large file? Browsing a web? Playing a game?

My guess is doing something else while downloading a large file, or perhaps copying a file from pc to internal storage. The test needs to be done more based on real life experience. I don't think Barry has ever used Zeus (I apologize if I am wrong) so he does not know how much software tweak can improve overall performance. Similarly, I do not know how much Zeus really improves as I never used one myself. So I really like to see someone post Zeus ROM running Infinity video clips rather than benchmark. And that I believe is most reliable indicator of what software can do or cannot do at least for this moment. Remember many drugs are out there that works well in the laboratory, or even on animals but may not be the same on human. :)

Oh by the way, Andtech's video is old. I believe it was taken with original firmware that US infinity came with. I just did the similar test i.e. over the AirDroid transfer multiple 50-100MB file in background with opening, closing and browsing. No noticeable speed lag at all. Though my test may not be accurate comparison as I have browser2ram installed on my machine. But it essentially proves (when comparing to the Andtech's video), software can and is indeed improving day to day performance.
    Some early reports from Prime users that got the JB update and have been playing with IO...

As several of us said several times, benchmark is just benchmark. The most important part is how things play at the end. Besides if some users are seeing improvement in IO of 20-50%, then if same happens to Infinity that's like RL benchmark of 30-40 for most of us, which is reasonably good number but again I don't think we should get bogged down with numbers.

So exact same thread that BarryH took quotes, I see followings:

It's looking better and better for me. Everything seems super smooth. I did not lose root thanks to Voodoo Rootkeeper. Also the wavy line issue while drawing seems to have been addressed. It's not perfect as drawing slowly still produces waviness, but when quickly sketching lines seem to be nice and straight when drawing diagonally. Happy camper here!

Haven't tried any heavy gaming but ANRs during browsing have disappeared for me. Screen tearing is gone as well. The lockups while updating apps aren't gone but not as prevalent and I do believe that this also has to do with, although not solely because, the system I/O being horrible. I would like to see what happens when some of the devs dig through this and see what can be done with the build.prop. I would also like to see if V6 Supercharger would be a viable option as well or ATP Tweak. Time will tell.

so far so good. project butter is instantly noticeable (my first JB device...)

So far no ANRs after opening and closing Chrome Brower a bunch (used to get them pretty often)... only been 15 minutes, so I'm still cautious.

Awesome update, running stock unrooted, web browsing is much, much better, its actually enjoyable now. I havent tried chrome yet, was only using stock browser with default settings with flash set to always on.

Project butter makes things run smoothly.

Google now is pretty awesome.

Thats all i noticed for now.

Great job asus!!

Yes. I only extracted positive comments here just as BarryH sort of did negative comments. The difference here?

1. Subjectivity OR
    2. Benchmark vs. Actual user experience

Originally I thought main reason why IO issue came up as people's attention was because of frequent ANR, which people linked to possibly IO as a cause. So if that issue is fixed do we still care? But personally, improvement in browser speed is most hoping feature.

In any event, you can turn table in either way by taking selected sample or changing the measurement. To me, end user experience seem far more important measurement than the benchmark score.
    You definitely know much more than I do about manipulating android OS. Just for curiosity, can you run androbench on yours as well to see how fast you got on it? Because that could potentially null some of our hypothesis of the I/O issue being hardware bound.

There's something going on with the overall throughput. These are fairly normal Androbench numbers... but sometimes read will spike up to 18-20 other times write will drop to 4-5.

If I start playing in sysctl stuff I can flip it the other way with fast writes and slow reads. Haven't found any middle ground yet though