N900V Bootloader Bypassed + Custom Recovery...may be possible on N900A?

Search This thread

DrAzzy

Aug 7, 2011
Lets clear something up - Was the N900V bootloader actually unlocked, or is the OP just referring to safestrap?

CorleReeFer

Nov 19, 2012
Carlisle
Lets clear something up - Was the N900V bootloader actually unlocked, or is the OP just referring to safestrap?

I would definitely think so since hashcode is the one that is known for getting safestrap to the Verizon note 3 first and is now making very good progress on getting it to us at&t guys who can't get anything but root. . Alpha version for now..

sent from my rooted, rommed, and strapped at&t note3... eat that at&t

farrock2unes

Feb 18, 2011
damn

The Verizon Note 3 variant N900V has had it's bootloader bypassed by @Hashcode and custom recovery has now been achieved on that device. I talked to @bajasur who is running their bounty thread and he believes that the same safestrap method could possibly be used on the N900A (our version). If @Hashcode can get this to work on the N900A I am sure development will move quickly so get over to our bounty thread and make your bounty pledges now!!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2493369

See @bajasur's N900V Bounty Thread here...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2473918

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

i thought it was already bypassed

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
i thought it was already bypassed

People are just confused and rightly so. You can flash roms with safestrap as long as you use the stock kernel provided by AT&T. Safestrap redirects the /system partition which isn't protected like the /boot partition is. This is fine right now, but once KitKat builds or AOSP start showing for the international version it's going to be a different story unless a way is found to unlock the bootloader and flash kernels on the N900A.

Last edited:

tropazr

Aug 26, 2008
Columbus
People are just confused and rightly so. You can flash roms with safestrap as long as you use the stock kernel provided by AT&T. Safestrap redirects the /system partition which isn't protected like the /boot partition is. This is fine right now, but once KitKat builds or AOSP start showing for the international version it's going to be a different story unless a way is found to unlock the bootloader and flash kernels on the N900A.

So the bootloader isn't bypassed by this method? Not unlocked...but bypassed? I thought that a locked bootloader was what prevented custom ROMs from being flashed? I understand it's not unlocked but it's been bypassed enough to flash a custom recovery/ROM...correct? I clearly am not an expert in the exact terminology/procedures of this so I am asking out of curiosity.

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
So the bootloader isn't bypassed by this method? Not unlocked...but bypassed? I thought that a locked bootloader was what prevented custom ROMs from being flashed? I understand it's not unlocked but it's been bypassed enough to flash a custom recovery/ROM...correct? I clearly am not an expert in the exact terminology/procedures of this so I am asking out of curiosity.

No the locked bootloader on the Note3 for ATT is protecting the kernel just like aboot protects the bootloader. It's a chain of events. The obstacle for flashing roms without kernels on the n900a was mainly SELinux enforcing. Other than that, it's about the same as the n900v. Again, the /system partition was never protected like the /boot partition is. That's why RDLV and safestrap work and don't effect the knox warranty status. It's because it doesn't change an area that is protected.

Last edited:

tropazr

Aug 26, 2008
Columbus
No the locked bootloader on the Note3 for ATT is protecting the kernel just like aboot protects the bootloader. It's a chain of events. The obstacle for flashing roms without kernels on the n900a was mainly SELinux enforcing. Other than that, it's about the same as the n900v. Again, the /system partition was never protected like the /boot partition is. That's why RDLV and safestrap work and don't effect the knox warranty status. It's because it doesn't change an area that is protected.

Got it! Thanks for the information!

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
Unfortunately the bootloader is still locked and hasn't been bypassed. What safestrap does is hijack the boot process once it reaches the /system partition. That is after the bootloader. It then runs a modified recovery. This is why you can't run custom kernels on it yet. The /boot partition is still protected. Don't get me wrong though it's a huge step in the right direction.

Agreed. Wasn't sure if you've seen the progress or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk 4

mohan_kr

Mar 27, 2012
In Nebraska
OnePlus 5T
True

Unfortunately the bootloader is still locked and hasn't been bypassed. What safestrap does is hijack the boot process once it reaches the /system partition. That is after the bootloader. It then runs a modified recovery. This is why you can't run custom kernels on it yet. The /boot partition is still protected. Don't get me wrong though it's a huge step in the right direction.

+1. And yes the breathing room afforded on the current version, will obviously be closed. They have to, when you realize you have millions of dollars of DoD, Enterprise contracts riding on this. You would obviously want to not take the next update, as even the /system partition loophole will be closed. And then, like hashcode has said it will be the end of the SS for locked bootloaders. unless someone leaks the signing keys or another loki type exploit is found (doubt it) it is pretty much impossible to break it. Don't want to sound pessimistic, but dealing with IT security on a daily basis, it does not look good .. unfortunately, yeah that is why I got the T-Mo Note 3 running great on the ATT network, of course my own ROM and kernel :cool:, yeah the flexibility of unlocked bootloader shaves an insane amount of time for customization..

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit

Fendulon

Sep 21, 2010
Check his Twitter. Djbliss already said Samsung and LG phones can't be unlocked with this method.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't mean to be a downer, but I'm still on the fence whether I can get this working on the AT&T variant.

So let's hold off on any specific donations. :/
    The Verizon Note 3 variant N900V has had it's bootloader bypassed by @Hashcode and custom recovery has now been achieved on that device. I talked to @bajasur who is running their bounty thread and he believes that the same safestrap method could possibly be used on the N900A (our version). If @Hashcode can get this to work on the N900A I am sure development will move quickly so get over to our bounty thread and make your bounty pledges now!!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2493369

See @bajasur's N900V Bounty Thread here...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2473918

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have verizon and no it doesn't trip knox
    Any progress on unlocking bootloader of N900A?
    We highly expect this.
    Thank you.

Have you not looked in the development forums?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk 4