[GUIDE][ML1/NC1/NE1] TW 4.4 and 4.3 Sticky Roll-Up Thread (7-10-14)

Search This thread

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
4.4 and 4.3 Sticky Roll-Up Thead

Do not use EZ-Unlock! You will instantly hard brick your phone and you will have to go through a painstaking hardbrick repair or get a JTAG repair.

Thread Purpose

The official 4.3 touchwiz update brought significant changes to the Verizon Galaxy S3. Once you took the update, the phone is completely stuck on the 4.3 or 4.4 base and any attempt to change the rom (unless using safestrap) will brick the device. Previous rooting and unlocking methods will no longer work on the update and will cause bricks if used. However, there are great threads going around regarding the update but are fragmented all over the device sections. We need a place to have all the information available on the new update. The old sticky roll-up thread should be used for anyone who still has an unlocked bootloader, meaning you did not take the 4.3 or 4.4 OTA update or your phone did not come with it pre-installed.

If you have 4.4 NE1 baseband you are unable to go back to any version of the 4.3 updates. Running any kind of 4.3 rom in safestrap will not work, and installing a stock 4.3 rom will brick your phone. You are limited to using a modified safestrap located in this thread, with no current modified custom roms.

This thread should strictly be for reference only, meaning posts should only be made if you believe a specific thread should be linked in the OP. If you want to discuss any aspects of this update that you're confused about, please use the 4.3 discussion thread (first linked sticky) or post your question in the Q&A forum. Keeping post counts low will make it easier for new members to access the information they need, so please post appropriately.

How can I tell if I have the official 4.3 or 4.4 update if I bricked my device?
It's important to know what base you're on so you can fix a brick. In any circumstance except a hard brick, once you boot into download mode you will see one of three possibilities:

If you're on a 4.3 or 4.4, you're in the right place:

Product Name: SCH-I535
Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable
Warranty Bit:0
Bootloader RP Swrev: 0

If you're on the 4.1 baseband, you're in the wrong place and you should head here: Stickied Threads [9.2.13]
The information displayed in download mode will look like this:

Stuck Threads

https://towelroot.com
Only tool available that will root 4.4 NE1 and 4.3 NC1 basebands. Will also root 4.3 ML1.

Touchwiz 4.3 (VRUCML1 and NC1) update discussion thread
Great resource with plenty of helpful people roaming the thread constantly. Use this thread to discuss any aspect of the 4.3 update you want.

[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3
A tool that will root the 4.3 VRUCML1 base. Will not work on NC1 or NE1 basebands.

[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2014-01-10 Alpha]
Only custom recovery that will work on the 4.3 VRUCML1. Do not try to use any other custom recovery, you will brick your phone. Right now you can only install custom Touchwiz 4.3 roms, so follow the directions in the thread. Will not work on the VRUCNC1 baseband, lacks kernel modules for WIFI connectivity. Will not work at all on the NE1 baseband.

[RECOVERY LOCKED/NE1] Unofficial Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-27 KK B01]
Only recovery that will work on the NE1 baseband.

[HOWTO]Comprehensive IMEI/EFS Backup
Old thread, but a good one. This should be done immediately after you root, steps A and B (if still possible).

[INDEX] TW 4.3 Download List (5-24-14)
Everything you can install on 4.3 basebands NC1 and ML1.

[INDEX] TW 4.4 Download List (7-10-14)
Everything you can install on 4.4 baseband NE1.

[GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]
Use this if you bricked your device, and you're still able to access download mode. You can also use this guide to return completely to stock if you need to. For NE1 you need to use an appropriate NE1 stock rom, not the 4.3 rom listed.

[GUIDE] Debrick your bricked SCH-I535! [BOOTLOADER/HARDBRICK]
Use this if you bricked your device and can't enter download mode. Computer will recognize device as QHSUSB-DLOAD, but other than that you have no other sign of life. You can also fix this problem with a JTAG repair if you can't get this method to work.

Useful Information

If you have 4.3 VRUCNC1 baseband, since wifi modules aren't available it is recommend to Odin flash the Stock 4.3 VRUCML1 rom then root and install safestrap. That way you will have working wifi after rom installations.

[FAQ] KNOX and you
Very useful information on KNOX that everyone should understand. However, we have a locked bootloader and the sprint device doesn't, so don't listen to what he's telling you about flashing AOSP roms. If you do it you'll brick the phone, just understand what he's saying about what knox is.

[FIRMWARE] (MODEM/RPM/TZ/SBL) Verizon SGS3 (SCH-I535)
Good information on the locked bootloader and why it can't be downgraded to a previous modem. Do not flash any files from this thread if you're on the 4.3 base.

I think that's all I can think of, hope this helps everyone who needs it!

Last edited:

tyler.frost92

Sep 19, 2013
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but can I use safestrap to flash a custom kernel on the stock ROM?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but can I use safestrap to flash a custom kernel on the stock ROM?

Actually, the safestrap thread would have been the best place to ask a question about safestrap. And no, you cannot flash a custom kernel on safestrap.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: BadUsername

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Thread updated with new information about the VRUCNC1 baseband.

Let me know if I missed something.

EVoorhees

Jul 28, 2012
New Jersey
Thread updated with new information about the VRUCNC1 baseband.

Let me know if I missed something.

Don't know if I'm missing something or what.
But, I have the VRUCNC1 firmware and it's rooted. Was going to install SafeStrap, but not sure how that will work out.
(i previously had ML1 before the update forced itself upon me)

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
But, I have the VRUCNC1 firmware and it's rooted. Was going to install SafeStrap, but not sure how that will work out.

If it was rooted before you can either enable survival mode in supersu or sometimes root will survive the Ota to nc1. Safestrap should work for you on nc1.

If you don't have root and you're on nc1, you're unable to root that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011

If it was rooted before you can either enable survival mode in supersu or sometimes root will survive the Ota to nc1. Safestrap should work for you on nc1.

If you don't have root and you're on nc1, you're unable to root that.

Only problem that I'm noticing is that using Safestrap on VRUCNC1 requires VRUCNC1 kernel modules. These do not exist as of this moment of course. There have been a few users whom used Safestrap on VRUCNC1 then had no wifi when flashing the VRUCML1 kernel modules. So, there is a road block in that regards.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Only problem that I'm noticing is that using Safestrap on VRUCNC1 requires VRUCNC1 kernel modules. These do not exist as of this moment of course. There have been a few users whom used Safestrap on VRUCNC1 then had no wifi when flashing the VRUCML1 kernel modules. So, there is a road block in that regards.

That makes sense, thanks for posting that.

EVoorhees

Jul 28, 2012
New Jersey

That's what I was planning on doing since I didn't see a module for NC1.
Thanks for the heads up, though.

enomele

Jun 16, 2010
chippewa
Anyone know how I can add the ability to change songs using the volume buttons like in Cyanogenmod? I've been doing a little research and haven't found anything yet. Its not hugely important but would be one of the major things I need, besides the reseting volume and constant WiFi nag, that I need until I get time to get safestrap recovery and install a custom stock ROM. I'm pretty damn angry that the replacement phone I got from Asurion has the ML1 update. I personally can't stand TW. I wish there was a Boot loader unlock tool like HTC phones as I don't need a warranty anymore.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll update this if I can find anything, perhaps in a Xposed module. I'm sure what I'm looking g for is right in front of me and that I'm just oblivious of it.

Edit: Wanam Xposed seems to have one or more of the features I require. I haven't had the opportunity to teat it yet but that seems to be my solution.

Edit 2: had some issues where the phone was restarting. Defaulted everything back to normal and have only had 1 or two since. I didn't use many of the features of Wanam so I'm not sure exactly what it was.

Edit 3: It continued happening even after I flashed a stock .tar file in Odin and I eventually narrowed it down to the battery that asurion had sent me. Seems Wanam was not the culprit!

Last edited:

Overmann

Dec 22, 2009
I will note that my phone has the line BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 1 in the Download mode, which is different than what is up there. I have 4.3, ML1 update. Is there a difference? What does this line indicate, if anything?

Last edited:

len207

Apr 24, 2009
Help! I have a Samsung S3 I535 for Verizon with the very latest baseband version ...NC1. At this point I can do nothing with the phone as far as root, recovery or a custom ROM! My Sprint version of the S3 is much easier to work with! I surmise that my phone has the Knox boot loader and can not be unlocked? However, I thought that the phone (I535) could be rooted and have a custom recovery. Is this correct and I just can't seem to find the proper thread or am I stuck with STOCK for the rest of this phones (probably short if I can't set it up to my liking) life?

Help! I have a Samsung S3 I535 for Verizon with the very latest baseband version ...NC1. At this point I can do nothing with the phone as far as root, recovery or a custom ROM! My Sprint version of the S3 is much easier to work with! I surmise that my phone has the Knox boot loader and can not be unlocked? However, I thought that the phone (I535) could be rooted and have a custom recovery. Is this correct and I just can't seem to find the proper thread or am I stuck with STOCK for the rest of this phones (probably short if I can't set it up to my liking) life?

Read the OP of this thread.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.4 and 4.3 Sticky Roll-Up Thead

Do not use EZ-Unlock! You will instantly hard brick your phone and you will have to go through a painstaking hardbrick repair or get a JTAG repair.

Thread Purpose

The official 4.3 touchwiz update brought significant changes to the Verizon Galaxy S3. Once you took the update, the phone is completely stuck on the 4.3 or 4.4 base and any attempt to change the rom (unless using safestrap) will brick the device. Previous rooting and unlocking methods will no longer work on the update and will cause bricks if used. However, there are great threads going around regarding the update but are fragmented all over the device sections. We need a place to have all the information available on the new update. The old sticky roll-up thread should be used for anyone who still has an unlocked bootloader, meaning you did not take the 4.3 or 4.4 OTA update or your phone did not come with it pre-installed.

If you have 4.4 NE1 baseband you are unable to go back to any version of the 4.3 updates. Running any kind of 4.3 rom in safestrap will not work, and installing a stock 4.3 rom will brick your phone. You are limited to using a modified safestrap located in this thread, with no current modified custom roms.

This thread should strictly be for reference only, meaning posts should only be made if you believe a specific thread should be linked in the OP. If you want to discuss any aspects of this update that you're confused about, please use the 4.3 discussion thread (first linked sticky) or post your question in the Q&A forum. Keeping post counts low will make it easier for new members to access the information they need, so please post appropriately.

How can I tell if I have the official 4.3 or 4.4 update if I bricked my device?
    It's important to know what base you're on so you can fix a brick. In any circumstance except a hard brick, once you boot into download mode you will see one of three possibilities:

If you're on a 4.3 or 4.4, you're in the right place:

Warranty Bit:0

If you're on the 4.1 baseband, you're in the wrong place and you should head here: Stickied Threads [9.2.13]
    The information displayed in download mode will look like this:

Stuck Threads

https://towelroot.com
    Only tool available that will root 4.4 NE1 and 4.3 NC1 basebands. Will also root 4.3 ML1.

Touchwiz 4.3 (VRUCML1 and NC1) update discussion thread
    Great resource with plenty of helpful people roaming the thread constantly. Use this thread to discuss any aspect of the 4.3 update you want.

[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3
    A tool that will root the 4.3 VRUCML1 base. Will not work on NC1 or NE1 basebands.

[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2014-01-10 Alpha]
    Only custom recovery that will work on the 4.3 VRUCML1. Do not try to use any other custom recovery, you will brick your phone. Right now you can only install custom Touchwiz 4.3 roms, so follow the directions in the thread. Will not work on the VRUCNC1 baseband, lacks kernel modules for WIFI connectivity. Will not work at all on the NE1 baseband.

[RECOVERY LOCKED/NE1] Unofficial Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-27 KK B01]
    Only recovery that will work on the NE1 baseband.

[HOWTO]Comprehensive IMEI/EFS Backup
    Old thread, but a good one. This should be done immediately after you root, steps A and B (if still possible).

[INDEX] TW 4.3 Download List (5-24-14)
    Everything you can install on 4.3 basebands NC1 and ML1.

[INDEX] TW 4.4 Download List (7-10-14)
    Everything you can install on 4.4 baseband NE1.

[GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]
    Use this if you bricked your device, and you're still able to access download mode. You can also use this guide to return completely to stock if you need to. For NE1 you need to use an appropriate NE1 stock rom, not the 4.3 rom listed.

[GUIDE] Debrick your bricked SCH-I535! [BOOTLOADER/HARDBRICK]
    Use this if you bricked your device and can't enter download mode. Computer will recognize device as QHSUSB-DLOAD, but other than that you have no other sign of life. You can also fix this problem with a JTAG repair if you can't get this method to work.

Useful Information

If you have 4.3 VRUCNC1 baseband, since wifi modules aren't available it is recommend to Odin flash the Stock 4.3 VRUCML1 rom then root and install safestrap. That way you will have working wifi after rom installations.

[FAQ] KNOX and you
    Very useful information on KNOX that everyone should understand. However, we have a locked bootloader and the sprint device doesn't, so don't listen to what he's telling you about flashing AOSP roms. If you do it you'll brick the phone, just understand what he's saying about what knox is.

[FIRMWARE] (MODEM/RPM/TZ/SBL) Verizon SGS3 (SCH-I535)
    Good information on the locked bootloader and why it can't be downgraded to a previous modem. Do not flash any files from this thread if you're on the 4.3 base.

I think that's all I can think of, hope this helps everyone who needs it!
    man we need some people to find a way to unlock the 4.4.2 bootloader cause this stock crap I can't do it...this was my mother's phone
    Maybe set up an undercover operation, get some ski masks and break into Samsung's headquarters. You're going to need a few runners to create a diversion, then get an expert computer hacker to steal the unlocked bootloader from their servers quickly before before they have time to catch up.

I think that's the only way it's going to happen.

I am unfortunately stuck on 4.3 stock that came with a warranty replacement phone. I somehow hard bricked it BUT the hard brick link above worked perfectly.

Thank you for this thread

Updated the thread.

Still a work in progress I think, I might be missing some things.

This phone is getting more difficult for me to keep up with since I don't have it anymore, somebody please tell me if I posted something incorrectly or am missing something. I think I got it mostly correct.

Read the OP of this thread.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2