[Guide]Rooting 14.2.A.1.136

Search This thread

cameljockey1

Aug 4, 2011
Arlington
ummm... you could flash FTF and untick kernel. Then boot into recovery and flash superuser. then flash the FTF but only select the kernel.
In theory this will work.
Will have a rooted .132

One more thing i am sorry for all the questions. In flash tool in the wipe section do i need to could i uncheck any of those? or does this have to be a clean install. I am guess yes clean install?

abuihsan

Jul 16, 2012
Banten
TESTED and working here from a CLEAN install of the ftf, but thanks for all the constructive criticism, it really motivates people to help.

IF you are doing something as drastic as rooting a new firmware ALWAYS have an out path/plan, and really guys is flashing a FTF to get back to stock that hard?

I'll amend the OP with a big red warning

Just leave your bootloader unlocked.
1- Flash the German C6833 base. Then you'll have a working ROM.
To get ROOT you'll need to:
2- flash a modified kernel,
3- then flash superuser, and then
4- flash the stock kernel.

I have posted the stock .132 kernel... Its a .elf format. But haven't tested it.

Yes that is what I thought, modified kernel problem.. this practically shows that new kernel is different. So maybe after all process done flashing new stock kernel will be the solution but it was almost midnight so I simply restored nandroid backup. Thanks for your hard works guys

hamdogg

May 14, 2012
New Zealand
www.youtube.com

Just ignore them Blue... some people are never happy. Perhaps we should post our address so we can root their device for them... I mean thats probably what they want...

DoggROM is complete... works. But need to flash FTF "kernel only"
There are wifi, bluetooth, 4G and 3G tweaks in the new kernel.

I see NUT has the same issues, and his stripped FTF is the kernel and partition.
Gotta head out, will test and then upload DoggROM. Feel free to use that blue and make your ROM off it..

Last edited:

abuihsan

Jul 16, 2012
Banten
And those that flashed the modified kernel for. 290, I said hotboot...

Confirmed, so I repeated the processes, coming from monx rom, c6833 rooted and UBL:

- flashed Germany ftf and then
- followed OP for Coming from stock 14.2.A.1.136 with unlocked BL, but I use 'fastboot boot kernel-dual.img' instead of hotboot with flashtool
- reboot and everything works except I got partial root (cannot mount R/W on /system)
- changed /sys/kernel/security/sony_ric/enable (from '1' to '0') and I got full root.
- tried to reboot to see if it works permanently.. and.. it does!

happy with it. thanks blue!

Reactions: TimeTurn

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Confirmed, so I repeated the processes, coming from monx rom, c6833 rooted and UBL:

- flashed Germany ftf and then
- followed OP for Coming from stock 14.2.A.1.136 with unlocked BL, but I use 'fastboot boot kernel-dual.img' instead of hotboot with flashtool
- reboot and everything works except I got partial root (cannot mount R/W on /system)
- changed /sys/kernel/security/sony_ric/enable (from '1' to '0') and I got full root.
- tried to reboot to see if it works permanently.. and.. it does!

happy with it. thanks blue!

Good that it works,odd that you had to disable ric manually as I didn't have to and it sounds like hamdogg didn't have to either.

Reactions: abuihsan

reednoel4u

Jan 3, 2013
Vung Tau
This is a WIP :D
[EDIT]
A few people seem to have had issues, please follow instructions - they DO work Use this guide at your own risk!!!
[/EDIT]

Rooting guide for the new 14.2.A.1.136 firmware:
This will void your warranty, don't flash without a full battery or if there is a black cat near by. If this bricks your Z-Ultra I blame the Waikato Draught

Upgrading from .290 already rooted Unlocked BL Working
Flash ftf and follow Coming from stock 14.2.A.1.136 with unlocked BL

Coming from stock 14.2.A.1.136 with unlocked BL Tested as working

1. ............
  2. fastboot (hotboot from flashtool) @ChillyChan's dual recovery kernel

many more as well...

Please feel free to add tips to this guide, and I'll keep it updated.

1. When I using
  2. fastboot (hotboot from flashtool) @ChillyChan's dual recovery kernel
    have error, please help me to root C6802 Fw 136
    5up.vn-Capture.PNG

Last edited:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
When I using [*]fastboot (hotboot from flashtool) @ChillyChan's dual recovery kernel
have error, please help me to root C6802 Fw 136
5up.vn-Capture.PNG

From the screenshot it looks like the phone has booted in the os. Power of the phone and hold the volume up key while connecting to the pc

EDIT: @reednoel4u I was away/out at family yesterday and it looks like I may have led you wrong. The phone does look to have booted so you would need to boot back to fastboot to boot the recovery again.

But see the op for new instructions now that we have a kernel with recovery

Last edited:
Reactions: reednoel4u

reednoel4u

Jan 3, 2013
Vung Tau
From the screenshot it looks like the phone has booted in the os. Power of the phone and hold the volume up key while connecting to the pc
Hi @blueether,
After finish fastboot (hotboot from flashtool) @ChillyChan's dual recovery kernel
I can't go to recovery by put power on the phone, when the show the logo SONY, put and keep Volume Up and My phone not root
5up.vn-Screenshot_2014-02-01-15-43-13.png

Please help me!
Thanks

Last edited:

hamdogg

May 14, 2012
New Zealand
www.youtube.com
Hi @blueether,
After finish fastboot (hotboot from flashtool) @ChillyChan's dual recovery kernel
I can't go to recovery by put power on the phone, when the show the logo SONY, put and keep Volume Up and My phone not root

Please help me!
Thanks

Download the superSU app off the play store. What may have happened is that you have binaries installed, but not the app.

S

SweFox

Strange, I can't enter recovery with holding volume + :S.

So when I hotboot the kernel it flashes the purple led but never boots into recovery, solution?

Last edited:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Strange, I can't enter recovery with holding volume + :S.

So when I hotboot the kernel it flashes the purple led but never boots into recovery, solution?

I think the best way now will be to use @jackie099's newly built kernel/recovery, should just need to flash that from flashtool and not have to worry about the hotboot step or the install recovery step.

I was away from a pc yesterday so couldn't test or edit the OP easily, I'll get to it latter.

Reactions: reednoel4u
S

SweFox

I think the best way now will be to use @jackie099's newly built kernel/recovery, should just need to flash that from flashtool and not have to worry about the hotboot step or the install recovery step.

I was away from a pc yesterday so couldn't test or edit the OP easily, I'll get to it latter.

I tried flashing it as well and while the purple led flashes like its going into recovery the phone boots into the system instead, damn!

Also, for some reason it takes much longer to boot when I flashed that kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is still a WIP as Devs do their good work :D
    [EDIT]
    Although a few people seem to have had issues, I'm removing this big RED warning as these instructions work well where it says tested, but still: Use this guide at your own risk!!!
    [/EDIT]

Rooting guide for the new 14.2.A.1.136 firmware:
    This will void your warranty, don't flash without a full battery or if there is a black cat near by. If this bricks your Z-Ultra I blame the Waikato Draught

Upgrading from .290 already rooted Unlocked BL Working
    Flash ftf and follow Coming from stock 14.2.A.1.136 with unlocked BL

Path 1. Coming from stock 14.2.A.1.136 with unlocked BL Tested as working
    This will give you Dual Recovery (CWM+TWRP)
    1. Download @Chainfire's SuperSU http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
    2. Download @jackie099's kernel and recovery: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631866
    3. Copy SuperSU to SD card of phone
    4. Flash @jackie099's recovery kernel from flashtool (boot into fastboot mode)
    5. Boot into recovery
    6. Flash SuperSU update from recovery
    7. Re-boot

Path 2. Coming from stock 14.2.A.1.136 with unlocked BL Tested as working
    This will give you these Recoveries (CWM & PhilZ Touch & TWRP)
    1. Download @ChillyChan's dual recovery kernel https://db.tt/MSIQ5ZNW (read about it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2575909)
    2. Download XZDualRecovery kernel with recovery http://nut.xperia-files.com/downloa...kZHVhbHJlY292ZXJ5Mi43LjgwLUJFVEEuZmxhc2hhYmxl
    3. Download @Chainfire's SuperSU http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
    4. Copy SuperSU and XZDualRecovery to SD card of phone
    5. fastboot boot (hotboot from flashtool) @ChillyChan's dual recovery kernel (we only want to boot this kernel/recovery, not flash it)
    6. Flash XZDualRecovery from recovery
    7. Flash SuperSU update from recovery
    8. Re-boot
    If you only have partial root then change /sys/kernel/security/sony_ric/enable (from '1' to '0')

Coming from stock 14.2.A.1.136 or 14.2.A.0.290 with locked BL
    Get a rooted .290 install then continue from below "Upgrading from .290 already rooted Locked BL"

To get root on .290 follow below or [NUT]'s/jackie's stock .290 for locked BL

1. Flash [NUT]'s .532 http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=3442 (read guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2593918)
    2. skip setup
    3. settings
      • - enable dev settings
      • - enable usb debuging
    4. Root with this tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460
      • - Option 0
    5. Run http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2426739 to get recovery
    6. Download DoggRom for C6833
    7. Download latest ZU-lockeddualrecovery2.7.xx-BETA.flashable.zip
    8. Save both to SD card
    9. Download .136 ftf for your Ultra - Save in flashtool firmware folder
      Now comes the tricky bit
    10. Charge phone - I used 40% of the battery while doing this
    11. Reboot to recovery
    12. Wipe Data
    13. Flash a stock based rom (DoggRom for c6833 or [NUT]'s etc) from recovery - DON'T REBOOT
    14. Flash ZU-lockeddualrecovery2.7.xx-BETA.flashable.zip from recovery
    15. POWER OFF the phone - don't reboot
    16. Start flashtool
      • Select flash
      • Select Flashmode
      • Select the .290 ftf or .136 ftf
      • [Top Box] Uncheck everything
        To make sure that there are no mismatch issues like on the Z1 that has lead to DEAD devices
      • [Middle Box] Check excludes for system only. We may need at least all of these: KERNEL, ELABEL, BOOTBUNDLE, AND BASEBAND
      • Flash
    17. Reboot phone when done
    18. Run XZDualRecovery 2.7.xx from the pc to get recovery if needed

Upgrading from .290 already rooted Locked BL Should be working
    The easiest way ATM is to use [NUT]'s 136 ROM ( testing stages):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631768

Thankyou to these good folk.
    With out your work all of this would be most difficult.
    @jackie099 and @[NUT] for the base of the rooting guide for .290 on locked BL
    @chemcup for the FTF
    @ChillyChan & @[NUT] & @jackie099 for the recoveries and kernels
    @abuihsan for the ric tip
    many more as well...

Please feel free to add tips to this guide, and I'll keep it updated.
    when posting something critical as rooting guide at least make 100% sure things work, it was a headache to re flash tft
    Worked for me

Thanks for the guide!.
    After following the instructions my phone is now working fine, including wifi, but system read/write only works one minute after it boots so xposed doesnt work either. im an idiot that forgot to install the apk for xperia devices using 4.3 (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48484642&postcount=6846). I read the XZDualRecovery thread and aparently this was fixed in beta 2.7.80, the same one posted here, but for me it didnt do the trick.Im just posting this here so other people are aware that there might be problems with it, after all its a wip.. Now everything its working fine, Thanks again :)

(Using a c6802 with an unlocked bootloader, came from a c6802 stock .290, flashed .136 c6833 ftf from germany)
    can the moderators remove this thread as we are going to have many people suffering from the faulty rooting guide
    can the moderators remove this thread as we are going to have many people suffering from the faulty rooting guide

TESTED and working here from a CLEAN install of the ftf, but thanks for all the constructive criticism, it really motivates people to help.

IF you are doing something as drastic as rooting a new firmware ALWAYS have an out path/plan, and really guys is flashing a FTF to get back to stock that hard?

I'll amend the OP with a big red warning