MOTO G, custom ROM = Yes or No?

Search This thread

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
I have been using Custom Rom's for a while. But this is usually to bring a phone up to the latest possible Android version well after the manufacturer has stopped updating a device . I have been using Nexus devices so typically this is 18 months after a model is first introduced. Bit of a sore point with me coming from iPhones which get supported for much longer period. but I digress.

In the case of the Moto G. I question whether it is beneficial ATM to install a custom ROM? I have tried a couple, but have been quite disappointed up till now with reliability and performance.

So for now I have stayed with the standard Moto G Rom. Then tweaked it a little by doing the following.

1. Unlocked the phone
2. Rooted using TWRP (couldn't get CWM to work right)
3. Eliminated the Unlocked warning screen at start up :- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2548530
4. Changed the 3G data to H, H+ format :- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2600654
5. Installed Qualcomm-optimized bionic and dalvic from here :- http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/4-4-4-4-x-qualcomm-optimized-dalvik-t2546120 (thanks @drfr )
6. Installed a new Faux123 Kernel, flcon_umts-faux123-kk-005u-signed.zip from here :- http://faux.romhost.me/falcon_umts/kk44/
7. From Play store installed the xposed installer
8. From Play Store added module Gravity box (KK)
9. From Play Store added module Ringer & Notification Volume
10. Installed the Apex launcher
11. From Play Store purchased Faux123 Kernel Enhancement Pro (couldn't find a free tool that worked!)

Result is a very stable ROM together with most of the little tweaks that I like to get from a Custom ROM. Plus everything works great. The current Antutu result is 19860.

So my general question, what is the advantage of using a Custom Rom, when for at the moment at least, the manufacturers ROM is fully up to date and with a few simple tweaks provides Custom Rom like appearance, together with great stability and performance?

Last edited:

zener773

Oct 6, 2007
As far as I know, the stock rom has a lot of optimizations for the Moto G hardware. For instance, its based on F2FS which is something the GPE Moto G does not have going for it.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
That´s exactly the way I see things too. Played around with custom ROMs for a while and then came back to stock + all the enhancements you mentioned. Just a note to the point 5 of your list. Optimized dalvik and bionic are already included in stock ROMs.

Thank you, I didn't know that, funny but I could swear that Antutu improved! I am still trying to decide if Point 6. Faux123 is really worth it. The 1.6gh/z over clocking is working and I am still getting two days of average use per charge. Can't decide either way really......

Alejandrissimo

Jan 12, 2011
unlock-bootloader.com
Same here, at this point, custom roms (non stock based) are non sense, since the stock is almost Aosp and updated as hell. Xposed is all you need.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Soerdroid

Aug 12, 2010
OnePlus 8
Correct me if I am wrong but the stock roms from moto are equipped with the Qualcomm-optimized bionic and dalvik patches, aren't they?
If not where can I find this patches?

matixz3

May 11, 2011
Im far away from that 19860 antutu score, any tips? I installed faux kernel and optimizers from qualcomm and cant get even close to 18000.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

ashut0sh

Jan 27, 2012
Muktsar
I have been using Custom Rom's for a while. But this is usually to bring a phone up to the latest possible Android version well after the manufacturer has stopped updating a device . I have been using Nexus devices so typically this is 18 months after a model is first introduced. Bit of a sore point with me coming from iPhones which get supported for much longer period. but I digress.

In the case of the Moto G. I question whether it is beneficial ATM to install a custom ROM? I have tried a couple, but have been quite disappointed up till now with reliability and performance.

So my general question, what is the advantage of using a Custom Rom, when for at the moment at least, the manufacturers ROM is fully up to date and with a few simple tweaks provides Custom Rom like appearance, together with great stability and performance?

True. But its for now and that is because this is a brand new phone also with multiple variants like 1031/2/3
Hence creating a kind of obstruction for a successful ROM dev

Furthermore you don't just dev a ROM to get an Android update.

Its for the different features that people are looking for.

You might wanna try xposed modules.
Hell l0tta options there. Not for now but then for future.
Also then small little tweaks from other phones can be ported to this one.

There are just countless things that you can customize once you are rooted.

I had a Galaxy Ace duos CDMA which had no custom ROM.
But once I got it rooted my phone was so much better.
I had an extended internal memory with my SD card.
The bloatware that covered the small little internal memory was completely removed.
And it was so much faster and Functional with those rooted apps.
If that small little phone could do some magic with rooting.
Then this is a beast.
:p

Half the new functionality that we get on the updates are actually the features of apps that work on rooted phones.
Wifi hotspot for an instance.

Agreed that in the current scenario its really not so useful but rooting your phone is a gift to yourself

Sent from my XT1033 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: AK4TAY7BEN

intellq

Jun 16, 2010
How you guys were able to use Faux with Dalvik? Faux only works on my phone with ART. If i try Dalvik, com.android.phone force closes all the time. I also have tried the new dalvik, no luck either.

And that prevents me to use XPosed, cause it doesn't have an ART version. And i really miss GravityBox...

Can someone explain me how to do it? :)

Moto G Dual Sim (XT1033) with KitKat 4.4.2

Last edited:

tsimitsangaz

May 11, 2013
Greece
checked the system/lib in my motog stock(nongpe) and doesnt have all the files from the Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik & Bionic libraries so can I have the latest version links to flash?Thanks

tsimitsangaz

May 11, 2013
Greece
yes checked.. I need to have ( libc.so, libm.so, libcutils.so, libdvm.so, libqc-opt.so, libcutils.so) and I have only libqc-opt.so from these files.

intellq

Jun 16, 2010
How you guys were able to use Faux with Dalvik? Faux only works on my phone with ART. If i try Dalvik, com.android.phone force closes all the time. I also have tried the new dalvik, no luck either.

And that prevents me to use XPosed, cause it doesn't have an ART version. And i really miss GravityBox...

Can someone explain me how to do it?

Moto G Dual Sim (XT1033) with KitKat 4.4.2

No one? :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So for now I have stayed with the standard Moto G Rom. Then tweaked it a little by doing the following.

1. Unlocked the phone
    2. Rooted using TWRP (couldn't get CWM to work right)
    3. Eliminated the Unlocked warning screen at start up :- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2548530
    4. Changed the 3G data to H, H+ format :- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2600654
    5. Installed Qualcomm-optimized bionic and dalvic from here :- http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/4-4-4-4-x-qualcomm-optimized-dalvik-t2546120 (thanks @drfr )
    6. Installed a new Faux123 Kernel, flcon_umts-faux123-kk-005u-signed.zip from here :- http://faux.romhost.me/falcon_umts/kk44/
    7. From Play store installed the xposed installer
    8. From Play Store added module Gravity box (KK)
    9. From Play Store added module Ringer & Notification Volume
    10. Installed the Apex launcher
    11. From Play Store purchased Faux123 Kernel Enhancement Pro (couldn't find a free tool that worked!)

Result is a very stable ROM together with most of the little tweaks that I like to get from a Custom ROM. Plus everything works great. The current Antutu result is 19860.

Correct me if I am wrong but the stock roms from moto are equipped with the Qualcomm-optimized bionic and dalvik patches, aren't they?
    If not where can I find this patches?

1. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48932223&postcount=430
    2. http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/4-4-4-4-x-qualcomm-optimized-dalvik-t2546120
    Great antutu result. Mostly due to the overclock. CM based roms doesnt have working overclock yet.

True. But its for now and that is because this is a brand new phone also with multiple variants like 1031/2/3
    Hence creating a kind of obstruction for a successful ROM dev

Furthermore you don't just dev a ROM to get an Android update.

Its for the different features that people are looking for.

You might wanna try xposed modules.
    Hell l0tta options there. Not for now but then for future.
    Also then small little tweaks from other phones can be ported to this one.

There are just countless things that you can customize once you are rooted.

I had a Galaxy Ace duos CDMA which had no custom ROM.
    But once I got it rooted my phone was so much better.
    I had an extended internal memory with my SD card.
    The bloatware that covered the small little internal memory was completely removed.
    And it was so much faster and Functional with those rooted apps.
    If that small little phone could do some magic with rooting.
    Then this is a beast.
    :p

Half the new functionality that we get on the updates are actually the features of apps that work on rooted phones.
    Wifi hotspot for an instance.

Agreed that in the current scenario its really not so useful but rooting your phone is a gift to yourself

Sent from my XT1033 using xda app-developers app
    yes checked.. I need to have ( libc.so, libm.so, libcutils.so, libdvm.so, libqc-opt.so, libcutils.so) and I have only libqc-opt.so from these files.

You do have all those files, they are not in the same folder. Just search harder.