FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Post Reply Email Thread
SOLVED: This was fixed by adding and using e2fsck, see the link in post #3. I had issues using adb push to install the tools, see the CyanogenMod thread. I do NOT believe the parted files he linked were intended to be used on ext4, so YMMV, but it did convert my fscked up ext4 partition to a over-writable ext2.

I am having a problem with my sd-ext partition being unable to mount. After a relatively routine procedure, I suddenly have this problem (below), for example when I tried to Nandroid Restore my sd-ext partition.
Code:
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(File exists)
Setup: HTC Desire; HBOOT 0.93, S-ON; ClockWorkMod v2.5.0.7; CyanogenMod-6.0.2; DTapps2sd

I was trying the relatively simple procedure of removing a couple of system Apps, according to the instructions on the CyanogenMod Wiki:Barebones.
I had minor problems with capitalization since I'm using Windows.

I removed Calculator, Email, and Calendar. Upon restart, all of my Apps are gone, except the few system apps and GApps that were not moved via dtapps2sd.

The phone still "works", I can send/receive SMS, make calls etc., but it's pretty highly crippled.

I've tried a Nandroid Restore, but it gives this message above (as did my attempt to do a Nandroid Backup).

The dtapps2sd "repair" command also said something about "cannot mount".

I tried to wipe and reflash CyanogenMod, which worked (in that it did re-flash). But when I tried to then Restore, I got the same "Can't mount" problem.

I also tried the following fastboot command I found in another thread, with no effect
Code:
fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
fastboot reboot
I have noticed that whey I use Terminal Emulator, the Permissions on mmcblk0p2 don't match the other blocks. Could this be related? Sadly, my Linux karate is weak :/
Code:
$ cd /dev/block
$ ls -al
brw------ .. .. .. .. .. mmcblk0p1
brw-r--r--.. .. .. .. .. mmcblk0p2
brw------ .. .. .. .. .. mmcblk0p1
I guess I haven't yet tried the HTC RUU, which is always a possible fallback. Or I could try to flash a stock PB99IMG.ZIP file. But those seem like just a generic "solution" that doesn't really involve any understanding. And it certainly doesn't help others with this same problem, or to figure out what I did to create this problem, so others could avoid that.

UPDATE: Link for PB99IMG.ZIP. It's ~140MB, and ROM+Radio specific, so no I won't post it here.
http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottHW For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ScottHW Ad-Free
23rd November 2010, 03:16 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Still trying
I just tried another suggestion from these threads:
http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod...detail?id=1614
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/index.p...6124#entry6124

Code:
adb shell
# su
# tune2fs -O ^huge_file /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
# sync
# reboot
But that did nothing for me.
23rd November 2010, 04:47 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
More info
Following along from raskolnik
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/6...post__p__56396
I now have parted (and others) added to my ClockWorkMod Recovery

Below is the partition info for my SD card
Code:
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
GNU Parted 1.8.8.1.179-aef3
Using /dev/block/mmcblk0
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: SD USD (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 8017MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system     Flags
 1      32.3kB  7444MB  7444MB  primary  fat32
 2      7444MB  7979MB  535MB   primary  ext4
 3      7979MB  8011MB  32.9MB  primary  linux-swap(v1)
I followed that up with a check with e2fsck
Code:
~ # e2fsck /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
e2fsck /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
e2fsck 1.41.6 (30-May-2009)
e2fsck: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? n
no
e2fsck: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
I decided NOT to go through with clearing the journal, as I don't really understand what implications that would have.

UPDATE:
Actually, I could only do adb push for the fiiles parted et al. after I had rebooted into CWM Recovery. When I rebooted normally, now the files are gone. I suppose this has something to do with the fact that I am still S-ON, since when the adb push failed, I got a response like "... read-only file system"

More Info:
I just did adb pull /etc/fstab. It looks like this
Code:
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data yaffs2 rw
/dev/block/mtdblock3 /system yaffs2 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard vfat rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext auto rw
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottHW For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ScottHW Ad-Free
23rd November 2010, 08:36 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
[SOLVED] kinda
LEARN BY DOING!!!

So, I got anxious and just went ahead with the e2fsck command from above.

There were a LOT of problems (so many I had to .zip the attachment, it was waay over the forum .txt size limit) But, probly the tool wasn't meant for ext4...? I know that the actual Linux version does support ext4, but this one...?

Anyway, see the attached log if you want to check out more details. I don't really know WHAT all happened, whether anything good or bad went down.

I haven't really "Learned" anything, but the problem is fixed, more or less. After doing e2fsck, I was able to do a Nandroid Restore, and the mmcblk0p2 problem(s) were gone.

[SPOILER=Semi-related minutia]
Of course, since I had been careless and not done a Backup in about a week, actually ended up restoring last weeks' backup, then restoring last nights' backup sans sd-ext, then doing dtapps2sd: repair, remove, reinstall, repair. Then some manual app reinstalls, a couple widgets, and some shortcuts. Overall, tho, I think I only lost one SMS through the whole deal.
[/SPOILER]
Attached Files
File Type: zip e2fsck.txt.zip - [Click for QR Code] (299.3 KB, 1532 views)
12th August 2011, 09:23 AM |#5  
Flag Kao-Hsiung
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHW

LEARN BY DOING!!!

So, I got anxious and just went ahead with the e2fsck command from above.

There were a LOT of problems (so many I had to .zip the attachment, it was waay over the forum .txt size limit) But, probly the tool wasn't meant for ext4...? I know that the actual Linux version does support ext4, but this one...?

Anyway, see the attached log if you want to check out more details. I don't really know WHAT all happened, whether anything good or bad went down.

I haven't really "Learned" anything, but the problem is fixed, more or less. After doing e2fsck, I was able to do a Nandroid Restore, and the mmcblk0p2 problem(s) were gone.

[SPOILER=Semi-related minutia]
Of course, since I had been careless and not done a Backup in about a week, actually ended up restoring last weeks' backup, then restoring last nights' backup sans sd-ext, then doing dtapps2sd: repair, remove, reinstall, repair. Then some manual app reinstalls, a couple widgets, and some shortcuts. Overall, tho, I think I only lost one SMS through the whole deal.
[/SPOILER]

hi, i'm facing problem more or less just like you. I'm trying using e2fsck but it keep saying the super block can not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 system.

do you have any idea?
13th August 2011, 12:31 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
semi-brick.
14th August 2013, 04:38 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Linking the problems
Just trying to link the thread involving my problem issue to this one as both are similar.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post44617022

e2fsck seems to be the key to solve it as S2E log could automatically solve it. S2E is not compatible with higher android version ROMs that's all.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps2sd, mount, partitions, sd-ext

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)