HowTo: Root your Motorola Droid X2 - UPDATED [14DEC2011]

Search This thread

Skinzaholic

Jun 14, 2012
Yep tried that. When I first got the phone it came with 2.3.6 and that was the steps I took to root it the first time.

Just tried it again.
When I put in /preinstall/su it comes back saying not found. It went through the first part installing root.img and rebooting fine
Never gives me the option to accept superuser request

When I installed Eclipse it switched the sd card around with the internal memory. I was just wondering if that has anything to do with the results I am getting since it is still that way.

Last edited:

RLeMuiX

Nov 18, 2012
How's it going xda. I am new to rooting, but the steps needed to root my Droid X2 seemed pretty straight forward as I am a computer guy myself. I have tried running these steps multiple times with zero luck in getting my X2 rooted. I have a screen shot of the command prompt to aid in solving my problem, but I can't post any outside links until I have made ten posts. Looks like a lot went wrong, but I have no idea how or where I went wrong in the steps. Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone needs to look at the screenshot, I have it.

kelbizzle

Aug 9, 2008
Baltimore
error: more than one device and emulator

Just in case anyone else has this issue. I was trying to run the script on a pretty fresh install of windows 8. and I would get the error error: more than one device and emulator multiple times and the script would exit and nothing would happen.

When I ran adb devices it showed an emulator-5554 as an offline device. Nothing I could do would get rid of this device. Restarting the PC, trying to use adb kill-server, restarting my phone...nothing.

Well thanks to Mastacheata for his comment in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18401299 I found what I needed. So I edited the .bat file in notepad++ and replaced all copies of

Code:
adb

to

Code:
adb -d

Note: The -d option will target the only other device connected.

and the script ran fine after that.

Terry of Astoria

May 21, 2013
Is the AVG warning of Exploit_c.WPD trojan in the zergRush file a false positive?

Nothing mentioned about virus or trojan or Exploit_c.WPD but my AVG free says the file DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip, linked-to in the OP, contains it.
I flashed my Droid X2 following those directions. Now should I worry?
I'll go see if the second link, which is labeled "old" also trips a warning . . .
Yes. AVG calls it "Android/toor"
I suspect maybe it's just a false positive, and the antivirus program is detecting the rooting code. . . .
I read that Kaspersky also indicated a threat from that file, as did several other programs.
Just wanting someone to hold my hand and say "It's OK, son . . .AVG just doesn't want to see you own your own phone. You can go on about your business and finish installing CM7 on your Droid X2..."
Thanks.
And thanks to OP for posting the how-to.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
all root methods use an exploit, that I would classify as a trojan, which is a file that is designed to look like one thing but does something else.
there are better explanations about this out there, but zergrush does not do anything except root the phone, and is safe.
what you do after gaining root access, is up to you

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

also see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_(computer_security)

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

and
What is Rooting? / Plagiarism in the Android Rooting Scene

tears0fshad0w

Jun 2, 2017
i know this post is really old but i'm trying to root my droid 2 and don't know where to get the motorola drivers. the link in this is old. could someone please help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - HowTo: Root your Motorola Droid X2

Please keep in mind that this tutorial is specifically for the Motorola Droid X2 running any version of Gingerbread 2.3.4 and below. :D This procedure MIGHT work for other phones, however, I would not recommend taking the risk of bricking, or even soft bricking, your phone.

Standard disclaimer: I, nor XDA Forums, are responsible for what you do to your phone. Just because these tutorials work for me, does not mean that they will work for you.

I make no claims to be the original owner of this process. :D I am just consolidating the process into an easy to follow (hopefully) guide that will help everyone from noobs to experienced users.

This tutorial has been adapted from the post: [16/Nov][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit by DooMLoRD.

Unrooting is covered at the end of this post.

This method uses Windows! :eek: (I know, I'm a Linux guy, but...) If you have a Mac or a Linux box, use Pete's One Click Root for Linux and OSX - Droid 3. I have not tried it as my Linux system crashed several months ago and I do not have the funds to purchase new hardware or fix it. I can try to assist as I am a mixed environment System Administrator, however, I make absolutely no claims of being a guru. :cool: I have heard (not substantiated) that people are having success using Virtual Box. I highly recommend Virtual Box as it seems to be the only free virtualizing environment that supports accessing hardware directly, as long as Linux sees the hardware, Virtual Box and use it (for the most part).

I am making some assumptions in this tutorial:
    1. You understand and are comfortable with installing software on a Windows computer.
    eek.gif

2. You understand and are comfortable with downloading programs.
    eek.gif

3. You understand and are comfortable with extracting compressed files (*.zip, *.rar *.7z, etc.) (I recommend 7zip to extract all compress files.)
    eek.gif

4. You are willing to read this entire tutorial and ask questions if something is unclear to you, BEFORE you start this process. (Better to be safe than sorry.)
    confused.gif
    mad.gif
    eek.gif
    frown.gif

Now, on to the good stuff…
    biggrin.gif

Hints:
    Text in green are applications to launch or buttons to push within an application.
    Text in red are warnings.
    Orange is reserved for text that must be typed or copied. – Specific commands are also listed in code boxes.
    This process is for Gingerbread (2.3.x) ONLY! For the Froyo gingerbreak, see booked's thread: [REF] Roms, Root, SBF, RSD, Bootstrap, Mods.

I have performed this method for rooting my Droid X2 from both Windows XP (SP3) and Windows 7 Professional x64. After a system boot file (SBF) restore of 2.3.4. Tutorial on SBF is here: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2.

1. First download the correct Motorola driver for your Windows system:
    a. Windows universal 32-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    b. Windows universal 64-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    2. Next download DooMLoRD's ROOT-zergRush: DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip (Older version: DooMLoRD_v3_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip).
    3. Install the correct driver and reboot.
    4. Once the computer comes back up, extract DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip.
    5. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your device. This can be accessed by hitting the Menu key and navigating to: Settings -> Applications -> Development and making sure there is a check mark in the box next to USB Debugging.
    6. Plug the USB cable into your phone and computer.
    7. Make sure your phone is in “Charge Only” mode:
    a. Drag the Pull Down Menu down
    b. Tap “USB Connection”
    c. Select “Charge Only” mode
    d. Click OK
    8. From the new folder you created, launch runme.bat.
    9. A command prompt window will open, make sure the phone is plugged into computer via the USB cable and press any key.
    10. zergRUSH will reboot your phone once it is done. Watch for errors. If there are none, you will be rooted. If there are errors, try re-running zergRUSH again.
    11. Once your phone is rooted, open the market and upgrade Superuser and Busybox. Busybox can be upgraded via the app from Stephen (Stericson) or JRummy16. Please, if you use these tools, purchase the Pro versions. This helps support our developers! Thanks!

People have asked about un-rooting their DX2. Here is what I posted in another topic:

I do not know about unrooting using Pete's tool. I haven't tried it. (But ashclepdia says it works just fine.)

There are two options that I know of to unroot your Droid X2. They are:

1. If you already have root privileges (and root/su works), using a root enabled explorer (I use File Expert) mount the /system folder in read/write (rw) mode and delete the following 3 files:
    a. /system/xbin/busybox
    b. /system/xbin/su
    c. /system/app/Superuser.apk

OR

In the adb shell, type the following:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    rm  /system/xbin/busybox
    rm /system/xbin/su
    rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    reboot
    (The reboot command will reboot your phone. If you are not done working with your phone or in the adb shell, just type exit, or keep working with ADB.)

2. The easiest, don't screw up your phone, put it back to "as stock as the day you got it", way is to do a data wipe and SBF. Performing a SBF restore is not difficult at all. See my tutorial: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2.

Old rooting method (depricated but left in for information):
    This tutorial has been adapted from the post: [Gingerbread Root] Pete's Motorola Root Tools by infazzdar who reposted from the original post from Pete Souza at http://www.psouza4.com/Bionic/.

This method uses Windows! :eek: (I know, I'm a Linux guy, but...) If you have a Mac or a Linux box, Pete posted this:One Click Root for Linux and OSX - Droid 3. I have not tried it as my Linux system crashed several months ago and I do not have the funds to purchase new hardware. I can try to assist as I am a mixed environment System Administrator, however, I make absolutely no claims of being a guru. :cool: I have heard (not substantiated) that people are having success using Virtual Box. I highly recommend Virtual Box as it seems to be the only free virtualizing environment that supports accessing hardware directly, as long as Linux sees the hardware, Virtual Box and use it (for the most part).

I am making some assumptions in this tutorial:
    1. You understand and are comfortable with installing software on a Windows computer. :eek:
    2. You understand and are comfortable with downloading programs. :eek:
    3. You understand and are comfortable with extracting compressed files (*.zip, *.rar *.7z, etc.) (I recommend 7zip to extract all compress files.) :eek:
    4. You are willing to read this entire tutorial and ask questions if something is unclear to you, BEFORE you start this process. (Better to be safe than sorry.) :confused:
    mad.gif
    :eek: :(

Now, on to the good stuff… :D

Hints:
    Text in green are applications to launch or buttons to push within an application.
    Text in red are warnings.
    Orange is reserved for text that must be typed or copied. – Specific commands are also listed in code boxes.
    This process is for Gingerbread 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 ONLY! For the Froyo gingerbreak, see booked's thread: [REF] Roms, Root, SBF, RSD, Bootstrap, Mods.

I have performed this method for rooting my Droid X2 from both Windows XP (SP3) and Windows 7 Professional x64. Both on the initial 2.3.3 Gingerbread load when I received my phone, on the 2.3.4 Gingerbread over the air (OTA) update, and after a system boot file (SBF) restore. Tutorial on SBF is here: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2.

1. First download the correct Motorola driver for your Windows system:
    a. Windows universal 32-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    b. Windows universal 64-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    2. Next download Pete’s Motorola Root Tools: PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.07.zip
    The program still say's "This is version 1.06 of this tool, by Peter Souza IV. Exploit by Dan Rosenberg." What was updated was the version of su and busybox.
    3. Install the correct driver and reboot.
    4. Once the computer comes back up, extract PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.07.zip.
    5. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your device. This can be accessed by hitting the Menu key and navigating to: Settings -> Applications -> Development and making sure there is a check mark in the box next to USB Debugging.
    6. Plug the USB cable into your phone and computer.
    7. Make sure your phone is in “Charge Only” mode:
    a. Drag the Pull Down Menu down
    b. Tap “USB Connection”
    c. Select “Charge Only” mode
    d. Click OK
    8. From the new folder you created, launch Pete's Motorola Root Tools.exe.
    9. Click the Root My Phone button.
    10. Pete’s Motorola Root Tools will reboot your phone a total of three times. At the end of the last reboot, Pete’s Motorola Root Tools SHOULD tell you that your phone has been rooted successfully. If it does not, follow the steps in the next section. (I had to do this after one SBF.)
    11. Once Pete's Motorola Root Tools tells you your phone is rooted successfully, open the market and upgrade Superuser and Busybox. Busybox can be upgraded via the app from Stephen (Stericson) or JRummy16. Please, if you use these tools, purchase the Pro versions. This helps support our developers! Thanks!

Manual root:
    If the preceding steps did not root your phone, follow these manual steps (it's kind of ugly, but it works). This process will install the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) and the Android Standard Development Kit (SDK). For a specific and customized HowTo on ADB Visit the [HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) post on XDA by VanillaTbone and download either the ADB for Dummies Guide or ADB for Dummies AIO(All In One) App by AndroidSamurai. (I think both VanillaTbone and AndroidSamurai are two different people, but I’m not sure. If anyone can clarify that would be great. Thanks!) Please keep in mind that these manual steps are specifically for the Motorola Droid X2. They might work on other phones, however, I take no responsibility for you bricking or soft bricking your phone by trying this.

1. Download and install the latest Java Development Kit (JDK) from Oracle. (As of this writing, 22OCT2011, Java SE Development Kit 7u1 is the most current version. PM me if there is a newer version so I can update this.)
    2. Download and install and configure the latest Android SDK from Google. Once installing the Android SDK, launch SDK Manager and download and install the "SDK Platform-tools". (As of this writing, installer_r14-windows.exe is the most current version. PM me if there is a newer version so I can update this.)
    3. For Windows XP and Windos 7 32-bit (i686), add the following to your path statement: C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools. For Windows 7 64-bit (x86_64), add the following to your path statement: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools. The path statement is located by right clicking My Computer in Windows XP or Computer in Windows 7 and selecting Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables and locate PATH under System Variables. Double click the line and add a semicolon to the end, if there is not one there and copy and paste the above line to the end.
    4. Reboot your computer.
    5. Download DROID 3 easy root script v7.zip.
    6. If the following folder does not exsist, create it: C:\TEMP
    7. Then create a folder in C:\TEMP called MANUAL_ROOT
    8. Extract the Droid 3 easy root script v7.zip into the C:\TEMP\MANUAL_ROOT folder.
    9. Once you have rebooted your computer, open a command prompt. Yeah, you know, one of those DOS things… ADB is an Android tool, and Android is a fork of Linux. Get used to it. A bunch of typing is in your future, plus it’s good for you.
    10. Type the following command:

Code:
    adb shell
    11. You should receive an ADB prompt ending with either a # or a $.
    12. If the line ends with a $, then run Pete’s Motorola Root Tools.exe.
    13. Click the Run Temp. ADB Root Procedure button.
    14. The program reboots your phone three times, I think… Hey, I’m an old guy and my memory is failing me. Okay, maybe not that old, but that is my excuse! :p
    15. Once the process is complete, enter the following command:

Code:
    adb shell
    16. You should now have and adb shell ending with a #. If not, reboot your computer and Droid X2 and start again at step 13.
    17. Type the following command: (This remounts the /system directory on the Droid X2 as read/write, because the partition is mounted read only.)

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
    18. Type exit until you are back to the DOS C:\> prompt, then type the following: (The first changes directory to the C:\TEMP\MANUAL_ROOT directory, the push commands push the required files for su, busybox and the Superuser.apk app to the Droid X2, the shell commands set the read/write/execute (rwx) permissions on su and busybox and changes the owner and group on the /data folder to system, the reboot command reboots your phone.)

Code:
    CD \temp\manual_root
    adb push busybox /system/xbin/busybox
    adb push su /system/xbin/su
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
    adb shell chown system.system /data
    adb shell reboot
    19. It may take quite a while (5-10 minutes) for your phone to come back up to the home launcher. Sit, relax, or better yet, walk away from your computer.
    20. Once the phone has booted, open the market and upgrade Superuser and Busybox. Busybox can be upgraded via the app from Stephen (Stericson) or JRummy16. Please, if you use these tools, purchase the Pro versions. This helps support our developers! Thanks!
    21. This concludes the tutorial for rooting your Motorola Droid X2.

Again, if you have any questions, or comments, either post them here, or PM me! Thanks all!

Ciao!
    2.3.5 can only be rooted with magic md5
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1818758

[How To] Root DX2 2.3.5/1.3.418 magic md5 method

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium
    Sbf is the "save all" so far for x2. And it's really only like 5 simple steps once u have rsdlite and moto drivers installed :)

I do not know about unrooting using Pete's tool. I haven't tried it. There are two options that I know of to unroot your Droid X2. They are:

1. Using a root enabled explorer, I use File Expert, mount the /system folder in read/write (rw) mode by typing this:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    and delete the following 3 files:
    a. /system/xbin/busybox
    b. /system/xbin/su
    c. /system/app/Superuser.apk

2. The easiest, don't screw up your phone, put it back to "as stock as the day you got it", way is to do a data wipe and SBF. Performing a SBF restore is not difficult at all. See my tutorial: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2.

Also, to everyone, I really appreciate the kind words. My intent it to help as much as possible, without being the complete techno-weenie that I am. :p
    Thanks! Let the mod know... Infact, who is the mod for this forum?

:)
    I am new and wanting to know how to do a complete system backup on my dx2 version 2.3.4 before i root the phone. Just let me know what i need to download.

Don't think u can
    BUT
    once u root
    just follow moonshadow other sticky tutorial on creating a nandroid backup
    BEFORE you do ANYTHING after u root.
    That way u will have yourself a stock rooted backup.
    Being rooted alone wont cause anything to change in your performance of the phone or anything. It just allows you to change system files and other tweaks etc... that you need root privileges to do.

Then if you ever want to unroot just restore your stock rooted nandroid backup and then sbf. And you will be back to complete stock unrooted with whatever data u had when u made the nandroid backup.

Is there some specific reason u want a "system backup" before rooting?
    Cause u can always sbf((it is VERY EASY)) and u will no longer be rooted..

Edit::
    Oh yeah! By the way! WELCOME TO THE X2:eek:
    Don't be shy...have fun...and dont feel left in the dark ;)
    U will see soon that this stuff isn't as scary as u may think...I have NEVER seen anyone brick an X2 to the point of no return....sbf os an amazing thing lol