[Q] KitKat update Device overheating closing apps

Search This thread

Roussel90

Mar 27, 2014
Hi! I'm newly registered to these forums and i'm posting my problem here because I hope you guys can help me out i've tried everything!

I'm on Bell Canada provider LTE on a Samsung I337 Galaxy S4 and updated to KitKat 4.4.2. Since the update my apps are getting closed saying my phone overheats and I can only use Phone and Contacts. I figured this happens only when going on LTE. I stay on the internet for about 10-15 seconds then it happens and im locked for a good 30 seconds and its stays like that until I get back to Wifi. Being on wifi doesn't trigger the alert.
I've tried wiping my data , doing a system recovery. I even tried rolling back to 4.3 but that didn't work too well. I need to desactivate this security feature or remove it. You guys are my last hope!

Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot_2014-03-27-18-49-12.jpg

SelfElevated2

Oct 8, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
Hi! I'm newly registered to these forums and i'm posting my problem here because I hope you guys can help me out i've tried everything!

I'm on Bell Canada provider LTE on a Samsung I337 Galaxy S4 and updated to KitKat 4.4.2. Since the update my apps are getting closed saying my phone overheats and I can only use Phone and Contacts. I figured this happens only when going on LTE. I stay on the internet for about 10-15 seconds then it happens and im locked for a good 30 seconds and its stays like that until I get back to Wifi. Being on wifi doesn't trigger the alert.
I've tried wiping my data , doing a system recovery. I even tried rolling back to 4.3 but that didn't work too well. I need to desactivate this security feature or remove it. You guys are my last hope!

Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 2654340

I've been using the s4 since it came out and ive never seen it heard of anything like that. I'm on an att version and have been on 4.4.2 for awhile. Did you do the official ota or is it a custom rom?
Sounds like a kernel issue to me. Are you using any apps that are hard on the CPU at the time like heavy gaming? Which shouldn't even cause that but it does warm up a bit.

I would look into rooting and flashing a custom rom if it was the official update. But that will trigger the new knoxed boot loader and void your warranty. So there is that option which will most likely fix the issue. Or if your still under warranty and don't want to void it contact Samsung or your contract carrier and see if they will fix or replace your phone which could take some time.

Last edited:

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010

Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 2654340

If you haven't rooted the phone and it's either less than a year old or you have extended warrenty, I would take it back to Bell. If the phone is rooted then I would say you have a bad flash of the rom (only guessing because you don't say if you did the OTA stock update or you flashed it) I flashed one rom that made my phone hot but I quickly did recovery back to the older rom.

Reactions: Roussel90

Roussel90

Mar 27, 2014
I've been using the s4 since it came out and ive never seen it heard of anything like that. I'm on an att version and have been on 4.4.2 for awhile. Did you do the official ota or is it a custom rom?
Sounds like a kernel issue to me. Are you using any apps that are hard on the CPU at the time like heavy gaming? Which shouldn't even cause that but it does warm up a bit.

I would look into rooting and flashing a custom rom if it was the official update.

If you haven't rooted the phone and it's either less than a year old or you have extended warrenty, I would take it back to Bell. If the phone is rooted then I would say you have a bad flash of the rom (only guessing because you don't say if you did the OTA stock update or you flashed it) I flashed one rom that made my phone hot but I quickly did recovery back to the older rom.

Hi thanks for the answer, I did put the original official OTA 4.4.2 provided by my carrier and my cell warranty/knox warranty is gone. I'm only using chrome to navigate on the web when its happening so my only option is to try custom kernels not too sure which to pick I wanna have a stable like official one. I've never used any custom kernels before. Any idea what causes that force close?

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
Hi thanks for the answer, I did put the original official OTA 4.4.2 provided by my carrier and my cell warranty/knox warranty is gone. I'm only using chrome to navigate on the web when its happening so my only option is to try custom kernels not too sure which to pick I wanna have a stable like official one. I've never used any custom kernels before. Any idea what causes that force close?

There is definitely an issue with your install... see my post here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51448767#post51448767 it is number 3, suggest you read up a bit before diving head first into this... unless you have installed a custom recovery, rooted and installed a rom before. Mapleleaf is as close to stock as you can get.... if you choose twrp, don't use 2.7 see if you can get 2.6 I have seen a few people have problems with that version.... twrp is device specific so make sure you install the right one..... read up on the too.....

Roussel90

Mar 27, 2014
There is definitely an issue with your install... see my post here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51448767#post51448767 it is number 3, suggest you read up a bit before diving head first into this... unless you have installed a custom recovery, rooted and installed a rom before. Mapleleaf is as close to stock as you can get.... if you choose twrp, don't use 2.7 see if you can get 2.6 I have seen a few people have problems with that version.... twrp is device specific so make sure you install the right one..... read up on the too.....

I've tried different roms and kernels and its still doing it. I need to basicly desactivate or remove the security feature of the phone but I can't find whats controlling it, If anyone has an idea let me know. Until then no mobile data for me. My phone is rooted so i'm open to any ideas but customizing my phone still triggers the alert. 4.3 was not doing it at all. So something is new since the update.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I've tried different roms and kernels and its still doing it. I need to basicly desactivate or remove the security feature of the phone but I can't find whats controlling it, If anyone has an idea let me know. Until then no mobile data for me. My phone is rooted so i'm open to any ideas but customizing my phone still triggers the alert. 4.3 was not doing it at all. So something is new since the update.

Thanks for providing the link to here. We should take your issue out of the other thread which deals with nb1 down grade. Your issue is that a lot is not working when you flash the stock firmware? What exactly is the problem?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Roussel90

Mar 27, 2014
Thanks for providing the link to here. We should take your issue out of the other thread which deals with nb1 down grade. Your issue is that a lot is not working when you flash the stock firmware? What exactly is the problem?

Sent from my Nexus 5

As seen on the screenshot, whenever i'm on an app. Android system just closes every apps im using and locks the phone for a good 30 seconds saying it overheats. I can only use Phone and apps whil this occurs. That all started when upgrading to Android 4.4. Before that phone was very stable. Its all on stock firmware too. I've tried different roms too, still the force closing occurs. Back to 4.3 i had never seen this thing happen.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
As seen on the screenshot, whenever i'm on an app. Android system just closes every apps im using and locks the phone for a good 30 seconds saying it overheats. I can only use Phone and apps whil this occurs. That all started when upgrading to Android 4.4. Before that phone was very stable. Its all on stock firmware too. I've tried different roms too, still the force closing occurs. Back to 4.3 i had never seen this thing happen.

Boy, this is a tough one. Using Odin to go back to 4.3 should have fixed the problem unless its a coincidence that the overheating started when you upgraded to 4.4. Even when you Odin back to 4.3 or earlier you still have the overheating problem? Just want to confirm that

Sent from my Nexus 5

Roussel90

Mar 27, 2014
Boy, this is a tough one. Using Odin to go back to 4.3 should have fixed the problem unless its a coincidence that the overheating started when you upgraded to 4.4. Even when you Odin back to 4.3 or earlier you still have the overheating problem? Just want to confirm that

Sent from my Nexus 5

No I don't, But LTE is gone. so I cannot verify that 100%. i've used the phone for several months before the update and was working like a charm. The second the OTA 4.4 was installed it showed and my problems started.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
No I don't, But LTE is gone. so I cannot verify that 100%. i've used the phone for several months before the update and was working like a charm. The second the OTA 4.4 was installed it showed and my problems started.

Ok, for the lte issue have you checked that the apn is set up correctly? You can Google your carrier's apn settings to see what they should be.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Roussel90

Mar 27, 2014
Ok, for the lte issue have you checked that the apn is set up correctly? You can Google your carrier's apn settings to see what they should be.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Apn settings are good. I just checked them. MMS is working and im receiving calls. 4.3 is just unstable it seems its missing some core android system apps that are used for mobile data keyboard and the phone apps. 4.4.2 is stable and good just the overheating issue.

Roussel90

Mar 27, 2014
on another 4.2 with odin fails. SW REV. Check fail Fused 4 Binary 1

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I337MVLUAMG1_I337MOYAAMG1_I337MVLUAMG1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/005> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/005> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/005> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/005>
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/005> Removed!!

floydhead

Apr 8, 2014
downgrade

Buddy any luck? I'm trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 and w/o any luck. I'm using the Rogers i337m. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
Buddy any luck? I'm trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 and w/o any luck. I'm using the Rogers i337m. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

You need to check which bootloader your on before you try going backwards..... NC1 is 4.4, MK6 is 4.3 ..... there are instructions on here somewhere on how to check your bootloader version through terminal.... I think it was either in trouble shooting or developement.... just do a search. If your bootloader is hogher than the version you are trying to go to .... I think your out of luck..... although you could Google it and see..... something like downgrade NC1 bootloader to MK6....... maybe

Or download phone info from play store... it tells you the bootloader version.....

Last edited:
Reactions: floydhead

floydhead

Apr 8, 2014
You need to check which bootloader your on before you try going backwards..... NC1 is 4.4, MK6 is 4.3 ..... there are instructions on here somewhere on how to check your bootloader version through terminal.... I think it was either in trouble shooting or developement.... just do a search. If your bootloader is hogher than the version you are trying to go to .... I think your out of luck..... although you could Google it and see..... something like downgrade NC1 bootloader to MK6....... maybe

Or download phone info from play store... it tells you the bootloader version.....

Phone info app show, I337MVLUFNC1 as bootloader version.

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
Phone info app show, I337MVLUFNC1 as bootloader version.

Unfortunately you are stuck on 4.4.2 or higher..... most of what I have read says you can't downgrade the bootloader unless you can check with some of the devs. I did a Google search but all that I found was it isn't reversable.

abdulla ermila

Nov 10, 2014

same with me, i got the kitkat 4.4 update and it started happeing to me on my s4 , whats going on ? it is getting annoying
please reply
anysuggestions
i updated all my apps
i clear the catch
i close all running background apps
i deleted a bunch of apps
i have 3.00 gb left of storage ,
but it still says 1 Aplicatons have been close. your device is over heating . you can only use the phone and contacts app
Help?!!!!

abriellemarvin

May 12, 2016
same with me, i got the kitkat 4.4 update and it started happeing to me on my s4 , whats going on ? it is getting annoying
please reply
anysuggestions
i updated all my apps
i clear the catch
i close all running background apps
i deleted a bunch of apps
i have 3.00 gb left of storage ,
but it still says 1 Aplicatons have been close. your device is over heating . you can only use the phone and contacts app
Help?!!!!

hello thats my problem too what should i do to fix this?? pls help us

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 2654340

I would look into rooting and flashing a custom rom if it was the official update. But that will trigger the new knoxed boot loader and void your warranty. So there is that option which will most likely fix the issue. Or if your still under warranty and don't want to void it contact Samsung or your contract carrier and see if they will fix or replace your phone which could take some time.

Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 2654340

Sent from my Nexus 5