[Help Thread][Unihertz Atom] Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly (2018)

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Unihertz Atom

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
attachment.php
List of supporters
...​
...​
...​
...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Atom, World`s Smallest 4G Rugged Smartphone
Kickstarter page

https://www.unihertz.com/

Estimated Ship date: Oct 2018

News:

Answers from Unihertz

Q: Does Atom support Verizon?
===============

We had done a field test in Verizon network and Atom works fine with it.

==> Reserve my Atom Now

===============
Q: What is the warranty policy of Atom?
===============

We provide one-year warranty. If there’s any quality related issue, we will repair it or replace it with a new Atom for free.

==> Grab my Atom Here

===============
Q: Where is the NFC sensor located?
===============

The NFC sensor located at the back of Atom.

Last edited:
Reactions: x111

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Last edited:
Reactions: x111

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
I saw this question somewhere else but didn't see an answer - rumor that the Atom will have a Walkie-Talkie feature? And what the range would be? I assume if it is not using cellular the range would be fairly short - probably half mile or less but still would consider it a very neat feature.

I've seen some Apps that claim to use Wifi to directly talk to another phone with the same App on Wifi but never had much luck with that when I tried it. Range would likely be limited to a hundred feet or so.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Considering how the Atom has some fairly high end specs (Octa core, 4GB Ram, 64GB ROM) it would be nice to have a subforum for Unihertz.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I saw this question somewhere else but didn't see an answer - rumor that the Atom will have a Walkie-Talkie feature? And what the range would be? I assume if it is not using cellular the range would be fairly short - probably half mile or less but still would consider it a very neat feature.

I've seen some Apps that claim to use Wifi to directly talk to another phone with the same App on Wifi but never had much luck with that when I tried it. Range would likely be limited to a hundred feet or so.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Considering how the Atom has some fairly high end specs (Octa core, 4GB Ram, 64GB ROM) it would be nice to have a subforum for Unihertz.
I haven't seen anything about that.
Walkie-talkie (s) can have a range of 2 maybe 5 miles without requiring a license (USA) then up to 10 miles.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
retail price - do we know what it will be?

I think I recall $249 but not sure - does anyone know what the price will be from Unihertz? I can't seem to find that info on their website.

moviti

Oct 21, 2013
Hi,
I just received my ATOM via KickStarter!
It's done very well, comfortably fit in my hands. If I could make it rooted, I would play more..

Reactions: steta and sd_shadow

steta

Feb 5, 2015
Anybody know how to root an Atom?

Got it yesterday. Cool. Real improvmet to Jelly-Pro:
- Enough CPU-Power
- Big enough battery
- Fingerprint-Reader
- Auto-Brightness

--> BUT: I need root-acces - Has anybody rooted an Atom yet?

tapa_t

May 27, 2014
Got it yesterday. Cool. Real improvmet to Jelly-Pro:
- Enough CPU-Power
- Big enough battery
- Fingerprint-Reader
- Auto-Brightness

--> BUT: I need root-acces - Has anybody rooted an Atom yet?

Try:
1. Extract Atom's boot.img using SP Flash Tool.
2. Copy the extracted boot.img to an android device.
3. Install Magisk Manager (apk) to the same android device.
4. Patch the boot.img using Magisk Manager.
5. Flash the patched boot.img to Atom using SP Flash Tool.

uosel

Oct 21, 2018
I thought the SP flash tool needed root access to run? I don't have root yet.

I have the atom, adb/flashboot working, I can unlock and lock the bootloader - I just need either a custom recovery for it or the ability to download the stock recovery/os images.

tapa_t

May 27, 2014
I thought the SP flash tool needed root access to run? I don't have root yet.

I have the atom, adb/flashboot working, I can unlock and lock the bootloader - I just need either a custom recovery for it or the ability to download the stock recovery/os images.
No, you don't need root to use SP Flash Tool.
You can extract an entire ROM with it. No need to wait for anyone to give you the stock recovery or boot.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

steta

Feb 5, 2015
Bricked

I tried to flash a "generic" MTK TWRP recovery.
Booting with Volume-Down didn't boot into TWRP but into normal "Factory-Mode".
Android started normally, after a while tried to reset to factory settings (vie Andoroid-Settings).
It rebooted and went dark.
Nothing happens any more, I can press any buttons (or combination of buttons), even for a very long time, but it stays "off".

Anybody has any ideas?

tapa_t

May 27, 2014
I tried to flash a "generic" MTK TWRP recovery.
Booting with Volume-Down didn't boot into TWRP but into normal "Factory-Mode".
Android started normally, after a while tried to reset to factory settings (vie Andoroid-Settings).
It rebooted and went dark.
Nothing happens any more, I can press any buttons (or combination of buttons), even for a very long time, but it stays "off".

Anybody has any ideas?

Use SP Flash tool to flash back the stock rom you had backed up before you flashed the custom recovery.

Last edited:

steta

Feb 5, 2015
Anybody has a stock rom?

Use SP Flash tool to flash back the stock rom you had backed up before you flashed the custom recovery.

I tried to get the stock rom from the phone (before I bricked it): I tried for about 5 hours to get MTK Droid Tools to recognize my phone. But it stubbornly will not find the device. I tried multiple VCOM- and USB-Drivers, even installed PdaNet for the drivers, used a freshly set up Windows 10 for each try, but I didn't succeed. -> ADB & Fastboot of MinimalADB worked just fine.

So I was very frustrated and justed hoped that all will be good. But, suprise, not all was good...

So has anybody a stock rom for me?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I tried to get the stock rom from the phone (before I bricked it): I tried for about 5 hours to get MTK Droid Tools to recognize my phone. But it stubbornly will not find the device. I tried multiple VCOM- and USB-Drivers, even installed PdaNet for the drivers, used a freshly set up Windows 10 for each try, but I didn't succeed. -> ADB & Fastboot of MinimalADB worked just fine.

So I was very frustrated and justed hoped that all will be good. But, suprise, not all was good...

Doesn't look like Official firmware has been released yet.
Should be able at https://www.unihertz.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=44 hopefully soon.

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA Labs

tapa_t

May 27, 2014

Ask Unihertz. They sure have one and they gave stock rom to Jelly users who bricked their jellies. Just ask.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Unihertz Atom

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
    Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

How I rooted & Updated all at once without custom recovery, ADB or Fastboot

How to ROOT, Update to latest Unihertz ROM without Custom recovery or ADB or Fastboot.
    I got the Unihertz Atom "How to Flash a ROM" manual and latest ROM here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RYcxHLfp3huxY79C3fAGtoe-hnLVdWpX
    and downloaded the MTK drivers (already had them but reinstalled anyway) . Backup your Apps and data any way you can before starting unless your phone is just new. I'm not responsible if you brick your phone but this worked for me and was a quick and easy way to update to Unihertz's latest ROM which has some important updates and fixes.
    - The "how to flash a ROM" has links for the drivers.
    - Turn on developer options (click build number 7 or more times)
    - Turn on OEM unlock
    - Forget using the flash tool they mention and get SP Flash tool latest 5.1828 version.
    - Open the ROM zip file you downloaded and unzip to a folder then copy the boot-verified.img file to your Atom.
    - Install latest Magisk. Turn on Wifi.
    - Start Magisk and click Install then find the boot image (rename it boot.img from the boot-verified.img) just to make sure Magisk sees it.
    - After clicking install then click patch boot image.
    - After it is done copy the patched_boot.img back to your PC and rename it boot-verified.img and copy that back into the unzipped ROM folder of the latest ROM update (currently 11-30-2018).
    - Start SP Flash tool - load the scatter file from that unzipped ROM.
    - Turn off your Atom and hook it up to the USB on your computer.
    - Make sure the 'Connection' setting in SP Flash tool is set to 'Battery installed' or Auto.
    - When ready click on the SP Flash tool "Download" button on the main page then push the power button briefly on you Atom but not long enough to turn it on. The download should start and when finished SP tool will show a big check mark and 'Done' - then disconnect the USB cable.
    - Turn on your phone and you will have the new setup screen where you will need to do the usual setup stuff.
    - Install latest Magisk manager App
    - Start Magisk Manager and you will see Magisk is already installed and you will have ROOT.
    - I suggest installing ROM Toolbox by J Rummy and freezing any Apps you don't like :cool:
    TWRP for Atom

I have patched TWRP now to work on the Atom on the Oreo 8.1 version dated 11-30-2018. I'll upload it shortly. I installed TWRP by using SP Flash tool and also installed the patched Magisk boot and the stock preloader. Use the scatter file from the 11-30-2018 ROM I mention above - this one:
    11-30-2018 latest ROM

A couple notes on SP Flash tool - my Avast antivirus doesn't see a problem with it but Virustotal.com will say it has trojans. Since I'm not sure I only use it when I have Shadow Defender enabled on my PC (freezes everything in your system so no changes are made permanent) and then I disable antivirus. Upon reboot everything is back to the way it was before you enabled Shadow Defender.

Download the TWRP I modified for the Atom here:
    Link no longer valid - see the link in post #70 below.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I'm noting one issue with TWRP recovery. Don't use any apps the have a "reboot to recovery" option - not even TWRP which has reboot to recovery option or it will just power off and you won't be able to start it up again without reflashing the recovery, boot and preloader. However if you just use the Volume UP and Power buttons to get into recovery from a powered off state it works fine. So always power down then use Volume UP and Power held down until you see the first Unihertz screen and then release both buttons and it will boot into TWRP.
    Hi,
    I just received my ATOM via KickStarter!
    It's done very well, comfortably fit in my hands. If I could make it rooted, I would play more..
    Rooted!

I have rooted the Atom!

(After learning SP Flash tool, WWr_Mtk, Magisk, and scatter files, I've done it!)

I will post the files shortly. The versions will be what is on my phone currently - one system update shortly after receiving the Atom.

Brief procedure: get SP Flash tool, the scatter file I created, and the atom patched boot image.

Use SP Flash tool and newly created scatter file to upload atom_patched_boot.img to the "boot" partition on the phone. To do this, go to the Download tab. Next to "Scatter Loading File" press Choose and select the scatter file.
    Ensure none of the boxes in the bottom are checked. Then check "boot" and click on the Location to select the atom_patched_boot.img file. The display will read Begin Address 0x0000000018a00000, End Address 0x00000000193c75d3, Region EMMC_USER. Press Download, connect your phone, and if the drivers are working properly (and your phone feels like it) it will flash the image to that portion of the phone. If successful, you'll get a green check mark.

Boot, and then install Magisk Manager via the APK from their website.

It didn't even need the bootloader unlocked or anything. I'm impressed with Magisk.

Software versions that will be in the ROMs posted shortly:
    Android Version 8.1.0
    Android Security Patch Level May 5, 2018
    Baseband Version MOLY.LR12A.R2.MP.V26.1
    Kernel Version 4.4.95 (gcc version 6.3.1 20170109 (Linaro GCC 6.3-2017.02) ) root@agold-All-Series #11 Mon Oct 8 15:27:55 CST 2018
    Build Number Unihertz_Atom_20181008
    Custom Build Version alps-mp-o1.mp1

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Atom (MT6763) Scatter file:

############################################################################################################
    #
    # General Setting
    #
    ############################################################################################################
    - general: MTK_PLATFORM_CFG
    info:
    - config_version: V1.1.2
    platform: MT6763
    project: MT6763_unihertz_atom
    storage: EMMC
    boot_channel: MSDC_0
    block_size: 0x20000
    #
    # Layout Setting
    #
    - partition_index: SYS0
    partition_name: preloader
    file_name: preloader_MT6763_unihertz_atom.bin
    is_download: true
    type: SV5_BL_BIN
    linear_start_addr: 0x0
    physical_start_addr: 0x0
    partition_size: 0x40000
    region: EMMC_BOOT_1
    storage: HW_STORAGE_EMMC
    boundary_check: true
    is_reserved: false
    operation_type: BOOTLOADERS
    reserve: 0x00

- partition_index: SYS1
    partition_name: pgpt
    file_name: NONE
    is_download: false
    type: NORMAL_ROM
    linear_start_addr: 0x0
    physical_start_addr: 0x0
    partition_size: 0x8000
    region: EMMC_USER
    operation_type: INVISIBLE

- partition_index: SYS2
    partition_name: boot_para
    file_name: boot_para
    linear_start_addr: 0x8000
    physical_start_addr: 0x8000
    partition_size: 0x100000
    operation_type: UPDATE

- partition_index: SYS3
    partition_name: recovery
    file_name: recovery.img
    linear_start_addr: 0x108000
    physical_start_addr: 0x108000
    partition_size: 0x2000000

- partition_index: SYS4
    partition_name: para
    linear_start_addr: 0x2108000
    physical_start_addr: 0x2108000
    partition_size: 0x80000

- partition_index: SYS5
    partition_name: expdb
    linear_start_addr: 0x2188000
    physical_start_addr: 0x2188000
    partition_size: 0x1400000

- partition_index: SYS6
    partition_name: frp
    linear_start_addr: 0x3588000
    physical_start_addr: 0x3588000

- partition_index: SYS7
    partition_name: nvcfq
    linear_start_addr: 0x3688000
    physical_start_addr: 0x3688000
    operation_type: PROTECTED

- partition_index: SYS8
    partition_name: nvdata
    linear_start_addr: 0x5688000
    physical_start_addr: 0x5688000
    partition_size: 0x4000000

- partition_index: SYS9
    partition_name: metadata
    linear_start_addr: 0x9688000
    physical_start_addr: 0x9688000

- partition_index: SYS10
    partition_name: protect1
    linear_start_addr: 0xb688000
    physical_start_addr: 0xb688000
    partition_size: 0x800000

- partition_index: SYS11
    partition_name: protect2
    linear_start_addr: 0xbe88000
    physical_start_addr: 0xbe88000
    partition_size: 0x978000

- partition_index: SYS12
    partition_name: seccfg
    linear_start_addr: 0xc800000
    physical_start_addr: 0xc800000

- partition_index: SYS13
    partition_name: sec1
    file_name: sec1
    linear_start_addr: 0xd000000
    physical_start_addr: 0xd000000
    partition_size: 0x200000

- partition_index: SYS14
    partition_name: proinfo
    linear_start_addr: 0xd200000
    physical_start_addr: 0xd200000
    partition_size: 0x300000

- partition_index: SYS15
    partition_name: md1img
    file_name: md1rom.img
    linear_start_addr: 0xd500000
    physical_start_addr: 0xd500000

- partition_index: SYS16
    partition_name: md1dsp
    file_name: md1dsp.img
    linear_start_addr: 0x11500000
    physical_start_addr: 0x11500000
    partition_size: 0x1000000

- partition_index: SYS17
    partition_name: spmfw
    file_name: spmfw
    linear_start_addr: 0x12500000
    physical_start_addr: 0x12500000

- partition_index: SYS18
    partition_name: sspm_1
    file_name: sspm_1
    linear_start_addr: 0x12600000
    physical_start_addr: 0x12600000

- partition_index: SYS19
    partition_name: sspm_2
    file_name: sspm_2
    linear_start_addr: 0x12700000
    physical_start_addr: 0x12700000

- partition_index: SYS20
    partition_name: qz1
    file_name: qz1
    linear_start_addr: 0x12800000
    physical_start_addr: 0x12800000

- partition_index: SYS21
    partition_name: qz2
    file_name: qz2
    linear_start_addr: 0x13800000
    physical_start_addr: 0x13800000

- partition_index: SYS22
    partition_name: nvram
    linear_start_addr: 0x14800000
    physical_start_addr: 0x14800000
    operation_type: BINREGION

- partition_index: SYS23
    partition_name: lk
    file_name: lk.bin
    linear_start_addr: 0x18800000
    physical_start_addr: 0x18800000

- partition_index: SYS24
    partition_name: lk2
    file_name: lk2.bin
    linear_start_addr: 0x18900000
    physical_start_addr: 0x18900000

- partition_index: SYS25
    partition_name: boot
    file_name: boot.img
    linear_start_addr: 0x18a00000
    physical_start_addr: 0x18a00000

- partition_index: SYS26
    partition_name: logo
    file_name: logo.bin
    linear_start_addr: 0x1aa00000
    physical_start_addr: 0x1aa00000

- partition_index: SYS27
    partition_name: odmdtbo
    file_name: odmdtbo
    linear_start_addr: 0x1b200000
    physical_start_addr: 0x1b200000

- partition_index: SYS28
    partition_name: tee1
    file_name: trustzone1.bin
    linear_start_addr: 0x1c200000
    physical_start_addr: 0x1c200000
    partition_size: 0x500000

- partition_index: SYS29
    partition_name: tee2
    file_name: trustzone2.bin
    linear_start_addr: 0x1c700000
    physical_start_addr: 0x1c700000
    partition_size: 0x900000

- partition_index: SYS30
    partition_name: vendor
    file_name: vendor
    linear_start_addr: 0x1d000000
    physical_start_addr: 0x1d000000
    partition_size: 0x29000000

- partition_index: SYS31
    partition_name: system
    file_name: system.img
    linear_start_addr: 0x46000000
    physical_start_addr: 0x46000000
    partition_size: 0xe0000000

- partition_index: SYS32
    partition_name: cache
    file_name: cache.img
    linear_start_addr: 0x126000000
    physical_start_addr: 0x126000000
    partition_size: 0x1b000000

- partition_index: SYS33
    partition_name: userdata
    file_name: userdata.img
    type: EXT4_IMG
    linear_start_addr: 0x141000000
    physical_start_addr: 0x141000000
    partition_size: 0xd4d7fbe00

- partition_index: SYS34
    partition_name: flashinfo
    linear_start_addr: 0xFFFF0080
    physical_start_addr: 0xFFFF0080
    boundary_check: false
    is_reserved: true
    operation_type: RESERVED

- partition_index: SYS35
    partition_name: sgpt
    linear_start_addr: 0xFFFF0000
    physical_start_addr: 0xFFFF0000
    partition_size: 0x4200
    boundary_check: false
    is_reserved: true
    operation_type: RESERVED

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Here are the patched boot, scatter, and original boot and recovery images. I hope this helps some others!

Too new here (always the reader, never the rooter before) to post links - mod, please feel free to make these into links if you think I am worthy!

Patched boot with Magisk 17.1:
    https-www-dropbox-com/s/gr5sevahraozjwn/atom_patched_boot.img?dl=0
    SHA1: 16fe9e225390c612cf7ffab5e1eb50b259553005

Scatter file for Atom's flash partitions layout:
    https-www-dropbox-com/s/9sm2krirszfun74/MT6763_Unihertz_Atom_Android_scatter.txt?dl=0
    SHA1: 168497d80bd41d1ad0868bac492e0c5264ef3a3b

Original boot.img:
    https-www-dropbox-com/s/vsv21dwbep1jxul/unihertz_atom_boot.zip?dl=0
    SHA1: af5e364825845b291511fb0457a2a6b9de6ae1fa

Original recovery.img:
    https-www-dropbox-com/s/heg1aa86kxvrjmd/unihertz_atom_recovery.zip?dl=0
    SHA1: e7a196ccd160eacedf7d0d235dbe8a8146d49acd

If needed I could post the whole system/vendor portions of the rom.