Asus Mypal A6x6 WM6.5.3 rom version 3 (6-8-10)

Search This thread

Steven855

WARNING: This is a release of Windows Mobile 6.5.3. Due to changes to os code, SOME older programs WILL NOT WORK. By this, I mean that an older program may execute as normal, but some of the menu options might not work due to the start button being moved to the bottom of the screen instead of the top like it was with WM6.5 and older. As far as I know, this is an os thing, so I CANNOT change this.

Here's another summer rom release for WM6.5. This one is my 1st release of WM6.5.3. Due to comments recieved from my previous WM6.5 rom release thread, I have done testing of bluetooth and I can say yes, it does work. For those of you waiting on the next release of WM6.1, I will officially say that I will not release it until I figure out how to flash international roms (as this will be my 1st international release). If someone knows how to do this (for example, English is the default language for roms, but you want to flash a German rom), PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. This is the only thing hanging up the release.

Thanks to Makuu (for helping to get me started), Lenny, AstainHellbring (thank you for all the nightly help sessions), the creators of the tools I used to make this rom, and anyone else that I failed to mention in name who gave me the knowledge to complete this rom.

Asus Mypal A6x6 WM6.5 version 3
Windows CE version 5.2.28205 (Build 28205.5.0.89)

This was tested on an Asus Mypal A626 (and works). It should work with the A686/A696, but the other models were not tested. Any other models not metioned above WILL NOT WORK.

Updates
1. new compression type
2. NEW INTERFACE (comes with OS update)
3. os build
4. bug fixes
5. Bluetooth fixes

Additions (since last release)
1. PsShutXP

Removals (since last release)
1. none

download: http://www.easy-share.com/1910836072/Asus_A6x6_WM653_3.rar

At this time, this will be the only download link. Mirrors will be created in the future (after I give permission).

Instructions (I have included a txt file with same instructions for offline convenience)

Before you do anything, make sure you have at least a 256mb SD card and a card reader (you can get one at a place like Radio Shack or Office Depot). You also need to install winrar (found at http://www.win-rar.com/download.html). Your SD card must be formatted with the FAT16 file system.

To format your SD Card with the FAT16 file system

Step 1: To do this insert the SD Card into the reader and go to "My Computer".
Step 1a: BACKUP YOUR FILES before you start!!
Step 2: Right-click the drive letter of the SD Card reader (differs for each computer, probably either E:\ or F:\ or G:\) and click "Format".
Step 2a: Don't worry about any of the options except for file system, choose "FAT"
Step 3: Click "Start" and wait until it is done

Step 1: Get (OS) rom image
Step 2: Extract files to any folder on hard drive using Winrar
Step 3: Go to the folder where you extracted the files in the RAR archive
Step 4: Make sure that the filename is "CANNES_A_WM6.img"
Step 4a: if the img file it's not exactly "CANNES_A_WM6.img", rename it to that
Step 5: Format the SD card if you haven't already done so using the instructions above
Step 6: Copy the img file to the SD card, see step 6a
Step 6a: Make sure that the img file is the ONLY file on the SD card after formatting
Step 7: Take SD Card out of SD Card reader and put it in the a6x6
Step 8: Make sure that the a6x6 is plugged in via ac adapter before doing the next few steps
Step 9: activate SD Loader using the following instructions {
Step 9a: Hold down the power button and enter button (that's the button in the center of the d-pad)
Step 9b: Double tap the soft reset button while holding the other 2 buttons
Step 9c: After double tapping the soft reset button, keep the other 2 buttons held until a blue screen comes up that says something like Asus Cannes flashing utility
Step 9d: Wait until the process is finished (it's near the end when it says "writing private")
}
Step 10: At this point, your a6x6 should reboot on its own
Step 11: enjoy your updated rom

If you have any questions, feel free to just post or PM me.

As I release new roms, if you have a support question, please give me the rom version so I know what rom you are working with. You can get the rom version from the filename of the rom pack.

Example: Asus_A626_WM614_1
A626 = device (most often it will be A626, will rarely be different), WM614 = os version, 1 = release #

Last edited:

Steven855

--reserved--

My work is free for everyone's use, but if you feel compelled to give a donation towards my work (I am a full-time college student working on this in what little spare time I have), my paypal e-mail is "toa649@myway.com"

Last edited:

drtek

Oct 1, 2009
you sir Steven855, are just plain awesome. thank you I will try this one the next days.

bmasephol

Jul 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Steven - thanks for the new version. Flashed and everything seems to be working so far without issue. I've reconfigured my SDIO barcode reader and all software and things appear to be working. I'm going to do some testing with the device going into and out of blank screen with AC power connected and disconnected. I'll report back with any problems. Thanks again!

frblckstr1

Feb 21, 2008
This was tested on an Asus Mypal A626 (and works). It should work with the A686/A696,
Works on my A696, although I have problems connecting the WiFi to my Sitemcom AP (which can do B+G+N) and uses WPA2-PSK(AES), a WPA-PSK 11b seems to work.
Before you do anything, make sure you have at least a 256mb SD card
And make sure you do not use a SDHC, although it works later on the flash process can't use it.

Tanks for the ROM!

imre00

Oct 30, 2008
Thanks for the 6.5.3 ROM !

I think this is almost a perfect ROM, no battery drains, no wakeup problems, bluetooth is working fine. The only bug what I observed is the task manager problem (not runing the task manager if wireless is not enabled in today).

Thanks again, great work.

drtek

Oct 1, 2009
This ROM is very good indeed but do you know how to disable the Windows Media "A SD CARD WAS DETECTED, WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY" Message when I pop in the SD? Thanks.

Steven855

This ROM is very good indeed but do you know how to disable the Windows Media "A SD CARD WAS DETECTED, WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY" Message when I pop in the SD? Thanks.
Sorry, I do not know a permanent solution (although I have seen it before). I can only offer the suggestion of making sure Windows Media Player mobile is not running (if it is running, you can kill it with the task manager) when you insert the SD card.

Steven855

I'm curious; How many people like this rom's graphical interface better than the one that WM6.5 and previous versions of Windows Mobile used? Also, what programs have people using my roms come accross that work with previous versions of Windows Mobile, but don't exactly work with the new interface that comes with WM6.5.3 (and later versions)? I'm trying to compile a list of older programs for Windows Mobile that don't exactly work with the new graphical interface.

Last thing, has anyone encountered any problems with Bluetooth? I had gotten some complaints about bluetooth issues with the last WM6.5 rom that I put out, and I would like to know if those problems got fixed.

Last edited:

imre00

Oct 30, 2008
I like more the 6.5 interface, but I can exist with the new 6.5.3 too. The only program what I use and is not 100% compatible with the new 6.5.3 interface is the totalcommander for pocketpc. Any other programs what I use, can accomodate with the new interface.
My problem with this ROMs are only relative with the iGO navigation, which are using more and more memory from one versions to another, and the ROMS are using more memory then the Asus 6.0. But I observed, that if I softreset my A696 before using the navigation, the navigation working fine without any memory problems.

m_a_k_s

Jun 6, 2010
Warsaw
Is it possible to change the language of this rom? I need Polish.
I've tried to use AsusWM6Patch but no luck (Actual language: Unknown).
Maybe some HEX hack?

BTW: Great work Steven855. Thanks.

dj.brudo

Apr 15, 2010
Maybe some HEX hack?

It's seems to look that this rom is the greatest so far.

Thanks again steven for amazing job!

In addition i would like to have a HEBREW language to the rom.

Steven855

Maybe some HEX hack?

There's no easy way to change the language of a rom. You have to take an existing rom, extract its contents, change what you need, and then package it up again so it (fits and) can be successfully flashed. If someone is willing to tell me how to flash a rom with a language different than the default language, PLEASE TELL ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The big thing right now with all the international roms is trying to flash them so I can test them. Once this is (finally) solved, I can continue working on the international releases. I would try AsuWM6Patch, but it seems to be geared towards flashing with the supplied program and not the SD flasher method that I have been using to test my roms.

m_a_k_s

Jun 6, 2010
Warsaw
There's no easy way to change the language of a rom. You have to take an existing rom, extract its contents, change what you need, and then package it up again so it (fits and) can be successfully flashed. If someone is willing to tell me how to flash a rom with a language different than the default language, PLEASE TELL ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The big thing right now with all the international roms is trying to flash them so I can test them. Once this is (finally) solved, I can continue working on the international releases. I would try AsuWM6Patch, but it seems to be geared towards flashing with the supplied program and not the SD flasher method that I have been using to test my roms.

Well I don't understand why you say it's so complicated. My friend bought Asus A696. But that was WWE version (Windows Mobile 6 Classic). I've dump rom from my A696 (POL version) a then reflashed his PDA. So it's possible and quite easy.

Here you can read more about it (google translator version).
h t t p : / / t n i j . o r g / a s u s _ f l a s h
(remove spaces).
Hint: usbloader.exe

One more thing. You can use modified version of Upgrade Tool. Now it's easy to upgrade even if the rom file is older then the orginal or in different language.
h t t p : / / r a p i d s h a r e . c o m / f i l e s / 3 4 1 9 0 0 4 7 6 / U p g r a d e _ T o o l . e x e

Last edited:

Steven855

Well I don't understand why you say it's so complicated. My friend bought Asus A696. But that was WWE version (Windows Mobile 6 Classic). I've dump rom from my A696 (POL version) a then reflashed his PDA. So it's possible and quite easy.

Here you can read more about it (google translator version).
h t t p : / / t n i j . o r g / a s u s _ f l a s h
(remove spaces).
Hint: usbloader.exe

One more thing. You can use modified version of Upgrade Tool. Now it's easy to upgrade even if the rom file is older then the orginal or in different language.
h t t p : / / r a p i d s h a r e . c o m / f i l e s / 3 4 1 9 0 0 4 7 6 / U p g r a d e _ T o o l . e x e
Thank you for the resources. I will definitely look into the second entry. As for the 1st version with usbloader, I run Windows 7 and have tried the usbloader method, but it never works for me. I haven't been using the Upgrade tool because I'm afraid of permanently bricking my A626 (I bricked it once before, and getting it fixed was a pain) and I know that the SD flasher method works with no problems (as long as the power is on; never try to flash roms during a thunderstorm). By the way, where did you find the modified upgrade tool anyway?

frederickcar

Nov 15, 2007
i have been following your roms for a6x6, and i would like to thanks you for making them.

just one comment, i hope you finish or solve first the bugs in your previous versions before making a new one.

m_a_k_s

Jun 6, 2010
Warsaw
Thank you for the resources. I will definitely look into the second entry. As for the 1st version with usbloader, I run Windows 7 and have tried the usbloader method, but it never works for me. I haven't been using the Upgrade tool because I'm afraid of permanently bricking my A626 (I bricked it once before, and getting it fixed was a pain) and I know that the SD flasher method works with no problems (as long as the power is on; never try to flash roms during a thunderstorm). By the way, where did you find the modified upgrade tool anyway?

Link to the modified version is mentioned here:
h t t p : //asuspda.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

and here for example:
h t t p : //xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=308611

Oh and I find this page:
h t t p : //oneiros-eidos.nm.ru/index_en.dhtml

There is a solution for usbloader and Win7:
h t t p : //asuspda.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2644385

Thanks!

I have installed the 6.5.3 ROM on my Asus MyPal A696. So far no problems. My PDA has come back to life.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the great work! Keep it up!

Tip: Sprite Backup works on migration from Windows 6.1. ROM, including the installed programs.

Yours sincerely,
Christian Opitz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone have a link to this ROM or any version of it? Can't seem to find anything on the internet. I wish people didn't look down on others rehosting software, as not it's vanished and all their work is gone and no one else can enjoy it 10+ years later.