[ROOT][TOOL]Debugfs automated root [09/18/2012]

Search This thread

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
This tool will root your device based on the debugfs root method developed by miloj.

Just download and unzip everything into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory (if you do not currently have the device drivers for your transformer, they are attached to this post, please install them, please use them to install your device before attempting the process).

Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below (though it won't hurt anything if they are).

Helpful tip:
Make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

It should look familiar since I took PrimeTime and gutted it, only keeping the menu options. Thanks to viperboy for that.
Original post is in the TF300 thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704209

UPDATE 6/12/2012:
v1.1 - Added donation link for miloj
v1.2 - Fixed bug that caused it to stop while doing "debugfs", to cancel press Ctrl+c
v1.3 - Fixed bug where the id is not returned from the su test
v1.4 - Fixed bug introduced with v1.3
v1.5 - Fixed bug where you don't have to push the apk before calling install

6/13/2012
v1.6 - Fixed messaging (this is a cosmetic change)
v1.7 - Added a remove call on su prior to rooting for those who had root previously and it not longer works
v1.8 - Change the octal permissions to be 6755 instead of 4755

7/2/2012
v1.9 - Update superuser app and binary to the latest version available
XDA uploads are not working currently so I have uploaded the new version to here for now
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DC89975E3CE960E5!221

8/5/2012
v2.0 - Updated to include a kill for Asus sync as that seemed to be the biggest issue.
I have also made it more generic so that it can root more devices with the same util. This is done by scanning for the system partition automatically, thanks to rightonred for that suggestion. With the attachment labeled "generic" I have removed all asus references and drivers since they were causing issues with me being able to attach the zip to xda. Anybody who needs the drivers can download them from asus or from another xda post.
v2.1 - Added a pause while waiting for the device to restart to alleviate that nuisance.
v2.2 - Added message to ignore "File not found" message when trying to delete old su versions. Also updated message with the generic locations of settings on the tablet.

8/12/2012
v2.3 - Update su binary file (hopefully it may help some of the people with superuser app issues)

ASUS drivers can be downloaded from the ASUS site but some are not provided other than through the sync install. I have extracted out the drivers from that sync install and attached them to this post. These drivers will support most of the Asus Eee Pad family including TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, ME171(MeMO), A66(Padfone), SL101(Slider), and a couple others.

No longer need a PadFone specific root util as the generic one should work for it as well.

Here is a version I put together for the Gallexy SII (but the generic one attached here should work fine)
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27611187&postcount=3

Attachments

• DebugfsRoot_Generic_v2.3.zip
    2 MB · Views: 138,730
Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Latest Supported Versions:
v9.2.1.27 for the TF101 (ICS 4.0.3)
v9.2.2.6 for the TF101G (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.2.28 for the TF201 (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.4.3.30 for the TF300T (ICS 4.0.3)
v9.4.4.40 for the TF300TG (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.5.30 for the TF700T (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.18.8.41 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.3)

These are the latest supported versions as far as I know, if I get any further input I will update this post.

Reported UNsupported Versions
v10.4.2.15 for the TF201 (JB 4.1.1)
v10.4.2.9 for the TF300T (JB 4.1.1)
v10.4.4.16 for the TF700T (JB 4.1.1)
v9.20.1.22 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.4)

Last edited:

Gremlin001

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
www.gremsgear.com
Currently in progress .... sitting at:

Step 2 - Rooting...
debugfs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
debugfs: (shows a flashing cursor)

My Prime has rebooted but still sitting at the above. Is this normal? :confused:

OK, now I'm getting nervous .... Anybody wanna help a Noob?

Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
any one confirmed? what's the risk, if it doesnt work?

The risk if it doesn't would should just be that you wouldn't have root.

We already have confirmation that the method works (so there should be no risk there). We just don't have confirmation that I didn't make a typo or other mistake when putting it all together.

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Currently in progress .... sitting at:

Step 2 - Rooting...
debugfs: (shows a flashing cursor)

My Prime has rebooted but still sitting at the above. Is this normal? :confused:

How long has it been sitting there?

This is one of the points where I wasn't sure about since I had to pass input to debugfs through adb.

Gremlin001

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
www.gremsgear.com
How long has it been sitting there?

This is one of the points where I wasn't sure about since I had to pass input to debugfs through adb.

Currently 7 minutes...

If my memory serves me correctly, this is the point where it can take 10 - 15 minutes. Is that correct?

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Nope ... left it stalled at "debugfs:" for 20 minutes.

Ctrl-C'd out of the batch file. Doesn't seem to have hurt the Prime.

Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Currently 7 minutes...

If my memory serves me correctly, this is the point where it can take 10 - 15 minutes. Is that correct?

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Nope ... left it stalled at "debugfs:" for 20 minutes.

Ctrl-C'd out of the batch file. Doesn't seem to have hurt the Prime.

Thats what I was going to tell you. I have an update that I will put up. just forgot to put the absolute location. Please stand by.

Reactions: prahladvarda

Gremlin001

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
www.gremsgear.com
Running the updated bat as I type.... stand by

update #1 - sitting at the same spot.

Is it possible some of the files in the zip need to be in the MS-Win system32 folder?

Last edited:

texstar

Feb 13, 2012
Houston
sparkym3- you have a quick link to the win driver installation tutorial? Gonna try this but haven't used Windows in years. Got a lappy with xp on it.

Gremlin001

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
www.gremsgear.com
sparkym3- you have a quick link to the win driver installation tutorial? Gonna try this but haven't used Windows in years. Got a lappy with xp on it.

Plug your prime into the computer with the Asus usb cable. When the Autoinstall drivers dialogue pops up, tell it you want to select the drivers. when it asks you to browse to the drivers, browse to the location where you unzipped sparky's and select it. WinXP does the rest.

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Running the updated bat as I type.... stand by

update #1 - sitting at the same spot.

Is it possible some of the files in the zip need to be in the MS-Win system32 folder?

Can you tell me what the console displays after these lines. That should tell if all the files got copied over to the device.
adb push debugfs /data/local/
adb push debugfsinput /data/local/

Since debugfs actually runs, at least that one is copied over, my main concern is debugfsinput, this is the file that tells debugfs what to do.

Also, would you post a screenshot so I can see exactly what is happening, something might jump out if I can actually see it.

Gremlin001

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
www.gremsgear.com
Screen shot won't do any good. Lettering is very dark. Here is a select all/copy of the output.

Waiting for device to be detected...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

Step 1 - Pushing files...
843 KB/s (1862336 bytes in 2.156s)
698 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.031s)
7 KB/s (119 bytes in 0.015s)

Rebooting...

Step 2 - Rooting...
debugfs:

I'm exiting the batch file.

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Screen shot won't do any good. Lettering is very dark. Here is a select all/copy of the output.

Waiting for device to be detected...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

Step 1 - Pushing files...
843 KB/s (1862336 bytes in 2.156s)
698 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.031s)
7 KB/s (119 bytes in 0.015s)

Rebooting...

Step 2 - Rooting...
debugfs:

I'm exiting the batch file.

Would you just run this line manually and see if you get the same.
adb shell "/data/local/debugfs -w /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 < /data/local/debugfsinput"

I wish I had my prime i could test, all i have with me is an emulator.
On the emulator i get errors, but it still runs the correct commands then exits

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell "/data/local/debugfs -w /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 < /data/local/debugfsinput"
/dev/block/mtdblock0: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while opening filesystem
debugfs: cd: Filesystem not open
debugfs: write: Filesystem not open
debugfs: set_inode_field: Filesystem not open
debugfs:
C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>

Gremlin001

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
www.gremsgear.com

C:\Documents and Settings\kcr\Desktop\Root>adb shell "/data/local/debugfs -w /de
v/block/mmcblk0p1 < /data/local/debugfsinput"
debugfs: debugfs: write: The file 'su' already exists

debugfs: debugfs: debugfs: debugfs:

C:\Documents and Settings\kcr\Desktop\Root>

Then it exits to dos shell

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Gotta run sparky. I'll be back to try again in about 4 hours. Thanks for giving it a go and setting up the bat. It will likely be something simple messing up - it usually is.

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)

C:\Documents and Settings\kcr\Desktop\Root>adb shell "/data/local/debugfs -w /de
v/block/mmcblk0p1 < /data/local/debugfsinput"
debugfs: debugfs: write: The file 'su' already exists

debugfs: debugfs: debugfs: debugfs:

C:\Documents and Settings\kcr\Desktop\Root>

Then it exits to dos shell

if the file already exists, then that may be a problem.
you could try this to remove the existing file:
Code:
adb shell
/data/local/debugfs -w /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
rm /xbin/su
quit
exit

This should clear out any current su file that's in there and then try that line again.

Hopefully somebody else can come in and confirm they are seeing the same because I am useless for trying things without my device.

Reactions: laurabacu

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
v9.4.2.21 for the TF201
v9.2.1.17 for the TF101
v9.4.3.29 for the TF300

These are the latest supported versions as far as I know, if I get any further input I will update this post.

The latest update for TF201 v9.4.2.28/29 due out within a day or 2 has been reported to not have any of the known root exploits, do NOT upgrade to the latest build prior to rooting or you may be out of luck.

I'm already out of luck :(

so i can't even downgrade either, if I wanted to, huh? .28 blues..lol

texstar

Feb 13, 2012
Houston
Ok I'm in if you are still around sparkym3.

Running v1.3 bat gets me to...

Step 2 -- Rooting...
debugfs 1.42
debugfs: Allocated inode: 1369
debugfs: su: File not found by ext2_loopback
debugfs:
Rebooting...
Testing superuser...
/system/bin/sh: /system/xbin/su: not found

uid and gid should both be 0.
Are they? (y/n):

I'm stopped here. not sure how to proceed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tool will root your device based on the debugfs root method developed by miloj.

Just download and unzip everything into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory (if you do not currently have the device drivers for your transformer, they are attached to this post, please install them, please use them to install your device before attempting the process).

Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below (though it won't hurt anything if they are).

Helpful tip:
    Make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

It should look familiar since I took PrimeTime and gutted it, only keeping the menu options. Thanks to viperboy for that.
    Original post is in the TF300 thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704209

UPDATE 6/12/2012:
    v1.1 - Added donation link for miloj
    v1.2 - Fixed bug that caused it to stop while doing "debugfs", to cancel press Ctrl+c
    v1.3 - Fixed bug where the id is not returned from the su test
    v1.4 - Fixed bug introduced with v1.3
    v1.5 - Fixed bug where you don't have to push the apk before calling install

6/13/2012
    v1.6 - Fixed messaging (this is a cosmetic change)
    v1.7 - Added a remove call on su prior to rooting for those who had root previously and it not longer works
    v1.8 - Change the octal permissions to be 6755 instead of 4755

7/2/2012
    v1.9 - Update superuser app and binary to the latest version available
    XDA uploads are not working currently so I have uploaded the new version to here for now
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DC89975E3CE960E5!221

8/5/2012
    v2.0 - Updated to include a kill for Asus sync as that seemed to be the biggest issue.
    I have also made it more generic so that it can root more devices with the same util. This is done by scanning for the system partition automatically, thanks to rightonred for that suggestion. With the attachment labeled "generic" I have removed all asus references and drivers since they were causing issues with me being able to attach the zip to xda. Anybody who needs the drivers can download them from asus or from another xda post.
    v2.1 - Added a pause while waiting for the device to restart to alleviate that nuisance.
    v2.2 - Added message to ignore "File not found" message when trying to delete old su versions. Also updated message with the generic locations of settings on the tablet.

8/12/2012
    v2.3 - Update su binary file (hopefully it may help some of the people with superuser app issues)

ASUS drivers can be downloaded from the ASUS site but some are not provided other than through the sync install. I have extracted out the drivers from that sync install and attached them to this post. These drivers will support most of the Asus Eee Pad family including TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, ME171(MeMO), A66(Padfone), SL101(Slider), and a couple others.

No longer need a PadFone specific root util as the generic one should work for it as well.

Here is a version I put together for the Gallexy SII (but the generic one attached here should work fine)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27611187&postcount=3
    v9.2.1.27 for the TF101 (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.2.2.6 for the TF101G (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.2.28 for the TF201 (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.4.3.30 for the TF300T (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.4.4.40 for the TF300TG (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.5.30 for the TF700T (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.18.8.41 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.3)

Reported UNsupported Versions
    v10.4.2.15 for the TF201 (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.2.9 for the TF300T (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.4.16 for the TF700T (JB 4.1.1)
    v9.20.1.22 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.4)
    I have not been on the forum for a couple days so I will respond to a few things.

Supersu is not required, rootkeeper will work with superuser installed as well.

The best option I have seen for the next root is the google restore exploit, but it has yet to be adjusted for the asus devices.

I will help in any way I see possible to help figure a new root method out, or create a tool that is needed if a manual root method is found. Until then, reverting to ics, rooting, and upgrade seems to be the only route. Though I am vague on the details of that procedure.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    any one confirmed? what's the risk, if it doesnt work?

The risk if it doesn't would should just be that you wouldn't have root.

We already have confirmation that the method works (so there should be no risk there). We just don't have confirmation that I didn't make a typo or other mistake when putting it all together.
    It appears it cannot find "su" in the /system/xbin/ folder. Using Root Browser (free) I have confirmed it *is* there. Wierd date stamp on it tho - 31 June 1969...

There is also a "su" in the /system/bin/ folder. hmmmmm ..... I wonder ....

Can you send me the result of the commands (in adb shell):

ls -l /system/*/su
    echo $PATH

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Having the exact same problem trying manually and with the tool...

Since SU is still installed but root was lost it cannot write the new SU... the old one is a protected system file you can not overwrite or delete....

Until we can find a way to delete(uninstall) previous version of SU no root for us :-(

Oh ok, I see what it is. Let me find a way to solve this quickly.

EDIT: The problem comes from OTA RootKeeper in my opinion, it does a "chattr +i /system/xbin/su" to prevent Asus OTA to overwrite or delete the file.
    Here is the trick to solve it, very simple, insert the command "rm su" before the write command, like this:

debugfs: cd xbin
    debugfs: rm su
    debugfs: write /data/local/su su
    debugfs: set_inode_field su mode 0104755
    debugfs: set_inode_field su uid 0
    debugfs: set_inode_field su gid 0
    debugfs: quit

Will update my OP.