FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Metallic backplate...

255 posts
Thanks Meter: 53

By jongilluley, Senior Member on 1st May 2014, 10:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just bought this off eBay the other day....

Arrived this morning and I have to say I'm loving the feel of a metal back.

It's a replacement back so doesn't add any more to the size and is brushed aluminum. Signal strength hasn't been affected either so I'm happy.

Cost £8 and just a quick search on eBay haha.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1398938088845.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2719206   Click image for larger version

Name:	1398938104048.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2719207  

1st May 2014, 01:23 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongilluley

It's a replacement back so doesn't add any more to the size and is brushed aluminum. Signal strength hasn't been affected either so I'm happy.

How's the reception ? Does it affect it much?
1st May 2014, 01:28 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlockwalter

How about IP67? Is it still protected with rubber rings inside the backplate? Is it real aluminum or fake? Can you send us a link to the ebay seller?
1st May 2014, 04:52 PM |#4  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 422

More
Quote:

Mine is in the mail today too! Can't wait to check it out. Same color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlockwalter

Supposedly reception is affected a bit. I'll gladly let you know later today if OP doesn't beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo4000

How about IP67? Is it still protected with rubber rings inside the backplate? Is it real aluminum or fake? Can you send us a link to the ebay seller?

It is not IP67 with no rubber. It's real aluminum according to the people in another thread who got this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151273219078
The Following User Says Thank You to Syn Ack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Syn Ack Ad-Free
1st May 2014, 05:49 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Does your backplate vibrate at high volumes?
1st May 2014, 06:40 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Yeh I can confirm after being out with it today that I have dropped maybe one bar for reception overall...

It's real metal and feels nice thanks to the brushed effect...

And no it doesn't have the rubber seal so no ip67 protection. This doesn't bother me though as I don't get my phones wet even if they say they are water proof to any degree.

I'm really happy with this and think I'll stick with it... I've now ordered the green and blue one.

If u search eBay for s5 metal housing u will find loads in the us, uk and China...

1st May 2014, 06:40 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neugenusis

Does your backplate vibrate at high volumes?

Nope no vibrations at any level of volume.

1st May 2014, 08:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Having a metal back must have some effect on reception. It MAY be too small to make it go from x bars to y bars and it will possibly have more or less effect depending on which direction the transmitters are in, but lets be realistic here, radio waves will travel much easier through rubber and plastic than they will through any kind of metal.

So the difference in some situations may be very small, and in others may be significant. Personally I would rather have the strange rubbery back that comes with the S5, knowing 1: I am guaranteed the best possible reception at all times, and 2: because of what it is made of, I cannot easily dent, scratch, or damage the back and 3: It's construction will allow for better grip than a hard metal back so I am less likely to drop it.

Samsung themselves have said the reason for lack of metal back is due to the effect it has on reception. And this is what worries me, if they get pushed by idiots and the media into putting metal cases all over it for no good reason, we lose points 1-3 AND inevitably have to pay more for the privalege. No problem if people want to buy a 3rd party or even Samsung original metal back but I hope to god they don't start shipping them as standard.
1st May 2014, 09:46 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
All I can say is the back I bought is no less grippy than the original backplate... and the signal loss is slight. Your usage may vary but for me it's fine.

I also think u could scratch the plastic cases or damage them as easy as a metal one... plastic isn't invicible to damage.

1st May 2014, 10:11 PM |#10  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 422

More
Quote:

All I can say is the back I bought is no less grippy than the original backplate... and the signal loss is slight. Your usage may vary but for me it's fine.

I also think u could scratch the plastic cases or damage them as easy as a metal one... plastic isn't invicible to damage.

I concur. Using it right now. Feels pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
1st May 2014, 10:18 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Definitely looks thicker than the original back. I might jump on the wood back though
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)