Brace yourself, in Chromecast ads are coming

Search This thread

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I wouldn't worry too much about this at all...
If there are Ads then the content will be free and if not no one will pay to watch commercials and the venture will fail.

as far as what this is about, @bhiga nailed it on the head...And I expect to see much more like this in time...

Brightcove is basically creating a provider side (B2B) business for themselves which basically is creating a Player technology that any content provider can use to make content available with ad insertion (or not) without having to code or maintain their own programming department to maintain the player software. In Brightcove's case they are using this technology to sell their Server services with a side portion of profits from Ad sales and commission. The issue will be does the content need to come from their servers to display ads or can the main content come from anywhere? My guess is the content must reside on Brightcove's servers for this to work well so it won't affect content sources that don't come from there (like Plex)

as @bhiga pointed out though....There is nothing in the DIAL or CCast guidelines thats says you can't use someone else's Player App to display your content. All you need is permission from the owners of that Player App in the form of Info needed to launch it. Some will charge for that info (license fee) some will not.

If MX Player came out with a comprehensive Player App for the CCast to be used with their Android App there is no reason why Plex, Twonky and even NBC, ABC and CBS couldn't use that MX version of the CCast player app when adding CCast support to their mobile apps and Website. Content providers will probably pay a licence fee to the developer of those Player apps they use.

Basically setting up a B2B App market for those developers smart enough to make a good CCast side Player app.

I get it that people don't want to pay (or pay a lot) for things they want to use, But the business model of today is Free to Play - Pay for Plus.

Plex is an example of this as is any app that has a PREMIUM version that removes Ads or adds features.
Even those apps that are FREE without ads usually have you paying a price such as data mining of it's users to sell to marketing companies. Still a price your paying albeit a price that isn't money.

Someone has to pay otherwise there is no reason for programmers to waste their time creating these things other than making them for their own personal use and then deciding well it's made why not share it.

And if they target the folks who have the money (aka Content Providers) it's better for us in the end. We get the free because someone is subsidizing it in order to get to us.

I'm all fine with that.

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
I do not understand the ChromeCast's popularity.. 10 measley apps, half of which you need to subscribe to a service, the other half require people with a brain to start a server (like Plex) or be interested in tech stuff.. I can understand it's popularity here because we all live to tinker, but 5 million sold? How many returns? Google missed another mark with CC and if these applications coming out don't shine bright as the sun, we'll have another GoogleTV on our hands..

Thankfully, it was cheap.

Now we also have a problem with one if the biggest CC apps getting throttled by the two most popular and major ISP's in business.

The time is ticking for the ChromeCast and it's in it's last 15 minutes of fame before the masses start to their in the towel.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I do not understand the ChromeCast's popularity.. 10 measley apps, half of which you need to subscribe to a service, the other half require people with a brain to start a server (like Plex) or be interested in tech stuff.. I can understand it's popularity here because we all live to tinker, but 5 million sold? How many returns? Google missed another mark with CC and if these applications coming out don't shine bright as the sun, we'll have another GoogleTV on our hands..
Let's be fair now...
There are 14 official apps.
Of those, only 4 (Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO GO, Pandora) permanently requires a service subscription, plus one more (Plex) for now.
The only one that requires a local server is Plex.

That's not including apps in development or third-party stuff like AllCast.

Market penetration is key to success and commodity pricing helps, that's why Google made a $35 device and not a $100 device that would compete directly with Apple TV.

Google TV was way too niche - too expensive for someone to make an impulse purchase decision and too "computery" and early in the game for the general public.

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
I'm just looking at it subjectively.. But I also said that users are also required to have a brain for tinkering.

I'm not going to count Viki, what avg American (which seems to be the ChromeCast's major demographic) cares about TV from Asia..

So, you have Netflix, Google play music and movies, HBO, hulu, Realplayer, Plex, and Mono which all require subs or to buy movies and music.

So that leaves Avia, Pandora, RedBull, YouTube and Songza.

The majority are subscriber based.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

Reactions: EarlyMon

mkhopper

Nov 20, 2009
So sick of in app ads, so sick of freemium, so sick of subscription services (ie: PlexPass etc), so sick of pay to win games, so sick of every Android developer (not every, but you get the point) nickel and diming the piss out of users either with ads or micro-transactions. Enough.. Just follow the PC software model that has worked for decades. A set price, minor upgrades are free, major revisions you re-pay. The Android software market is the biggest racket.

Thank you Sir, these are true words. I agree you to 100%

So in other words, you would rather pay for everything up front? $5 here, $15 there, $25 somewhere else? Think of all the apps installed over the life of a standard Android user and then imagine how quickly you'd be forking over money left and right. Developers wouldn't develop if they weren't making money and there are a few ways of doing so.
A single, up-front payment, which in some cases might be out of reach for many users.
A subscription based system, where you'd pay a few bucks a month, but could eventually also get out of the reach of some users.
Ads
IAPs.

Clearly, ads and IAPs are the easiest routes to take since they allow for making the apps and services available for everyone without needing to worry about money up-front and it allows the developer a return for their hard work.

Now, if you chose to run some sort of ad-blocker, that's your decision. I frown on ad-blocking however since it actively restricts money from flowing back to the developer.
So, how to get around that? IAPs. And if you don't want to pay for in-game extras, then don't. Find some other game to play.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I'm not going to count Viki, what avg American (which seems to be the ChromeCast's major demographic) cares about TV from Asia..
Actually a lot more than you'd expect. Korean dramas are especially popular even in non-Asian American circles. It continues to surprise me. Maybe it's a West coast thing...

So, you have Netflix, Google play music and movies, HBO, hulu, Realplayer, Plex, and Mono which all require subs or to buy movies and music.
RealPlayer is free unless you want to use more than the initial 2 GB of their cloud storage.
Google Play Music and Movies don't require subscription either. They give away free music tracks and movies every so often (Elf for Christmas, now there's a Disney short).

There's also Post TV (not my thing) and VEVO.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guess this just means Team-Eureka ROMS will need to have ad-blocker added at some point ;) Depending how this actually ends up being implemented.
    So sick of in app ads, so sick of freemium, so sick of subscription services (ie: PlexPass etc), so sick of pay to win games, so sick of every Android developer (not every, but you get the point) nickel and diming the piss out of users either with ads or micro-transactions. Enough.. Just follow the PC software model that has worked for decades. A set price, minor upgrades are free, major revisions you re-pay. The Android software market is the biggest racket.
    While I agree, the trouble is that video content doesn't really work like software. Every new episode would be a "major" release. It's not like you can release a movie in 2-minute segments. Well, maybe if you're J.J. Abrams...

I don't mind ads as long as I have the option to pay to get rid of them. Even Netflix could opt for a cheaper ad-supported tier if they wanted to.
    To be honest, I like apps that are free with ads and paid without as it gives me a way to try the app for a period longer than the Play Store's 15 minutes.
    Talk about a blast from the past. Have you seen -

http://creativity-online.com/
    Well I'll repeat something else I said

I'm guilty of being an old timer. I came into Android with 1.5 (CupCake).. The Market and Android community used to be a thriving community of freeware, innovation and great discussion.. I just hate what it turned into. It's like a gold rush and the end user is the gold and everyone is trying to sell you their bridge. I just hate how it got like this. I don't mind paying for stuff but it seem anymore it's a constant and quality has taken a back seat. It's like people stopped doing this for fun and a hobby and started trying to make a business.. Anything that is anything that is in demand someone will find a way to charge you for now a days.

P.S. I don't mind subscription services like Netflix etc. Dumb stuff like Plex Pass is a joke though. You're subbing monthly to unlock in-app features. Doesn't make any sense..
    You knew it was only a matter of time before someone figured out a way to fill their wallets off users by annoying them to death..

http://bgr.com/2014/02/12/chromecast-ads-coming-soon/

I will copy and paste a reply I left about this on Reddit

I can see it now for apps like Plex when Casting goes free (whenever that happens)

"We will Cast your content right after this short advertisement"