[Q] Noob needing help with adb remount!

Search This thread

Bighurk

Aug 14, 2010
California
I have Android SDK on my pc. I got Busybox installed on the phone. when I use command prompt to navigate to \tools directory and i type adb remount, i get the error message of "remount failed: no such file or directory"

Is there something im doing wrong here?

lost2030

Jul 27, 2010
Miami
I've never used the command adb remount. Only adb shell and adb devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Bighurk

Aug 14, 2010
California
If I use adb shell it doesnt let me push files into certain folders. It says push is not a command... I'm trying to change my bootscreen

lost2030

Jul 27, 2010
Miami
Hmm, I would help you if I could, but I don't know the steps for changing the boot screen. I haven't had the need for adb remount, sorry.

Kaik541

Jun 26, 2010
Cedar Park, TX
I've also never used the adb remount, but as for your comment about pushing... push isn't ran from "adb shell"

you should be doing "adb push <file to push> /path/to/where/it/goes/<file>"

Of course this needs root and, in places where the NAND is mounted as read only, you must do the remount option with r/w

There are tons of guides on how to do this on our forum, but I'm too lazy to find them.

Bighurk

Aug 14, 2010
California
The thing is, I'm already rooted so I don't know why I can't do those commands. I will try to mount with "adb remount r/w"?

Bighurk

Aug 14, 2010
California
i tried adb remount r/w and i get the following message:

D:\ANDROID SDK\android-sdk-windows>cd tools

D:\ANDROID SDK\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb remount r/w
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
remount failed: No such file or directory

D:\ANDROID SDK\android-sdk-windows\tools>

G

GuestD0808

I was having a similar issue. Maybe I can help.

First, I am already rooted and have busybox installed. Don't know if that matters, but can't hurt.

Here's what you can do:

Code:
C:\Program Files\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
$ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0
[COLOR="Red"]/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0[/COLOR]
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,ioc
harset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocha
rset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iochar
set=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset
=utf8 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=
1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,s
hortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
$

At this point, we can see that /system is mounted at /dev/block/stl9. With that knowledge:

Code:
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

Now your free to do whatever it is you were trying to do. When you're done, don't forget to :

Code:
# mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/stl9 /system

That should do it. Standard disclaimer, not responsible, blah,blah,blah...

jvanja

Aug 12, 2010
NYC
I was having a similar issue. Maybe I can help.

First, I am already rooted and have busybox installed. Don't know if that matters, but can't hurt.

Here's what you can do:

Code:
C:\Program Files\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
$ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0
[COLOR="Red"]/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0[/COLOR]
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,ioc
harset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocha
rset=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iochar
set=utf8 0 0
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset
=utf8 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=
1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,s
hortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
$

At this point, we can see that /system is mounted at /dev/block/stl9. With that knowledge:

Code:
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

Now your free to do whatever it is you were trying to do. When you're done, don't forget to :

Code:
# mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/stl9 /system

That should do it. Standard disclaimer, not responsible, blah,blah,blah...
Everything is fine until I get to
$ su
I get "Permission denied"

Hmm... anyone has any tips? Thanks!

slifer315

Oct 17, 2010
when you type su into the command prompt, you should get a pop-up on your phone saying unknown is requesting superuser permissions and you need to allow it or you will get denied permission.

jvanja

Aug 12, 2010
NYC
Thanks! I passed that.. Now Im confused about whats the next step to push an apk into /system/app. I tried exiting from shell ("exit" twice until I saw C:\Program Files\android-sdk-windows\tools>) and then tried adb push.... but again I got No permission message ..
any advice?

silvertag

Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Thanks! I passed that.. Now Im confused about whats the next step to push an apk into /system/app. I tried exiting from shell ("exit" twice until I saw C:\Program Files\android-sdk-windows\tools>) and then tried adb push.... but again I got No permission message ..
any advice?

Did you do the "mount -o remount,ro ..." before you exited the shell ? sounds like your still on Read-only .

-First thing copy the .apk app into the sdk tools folder.
-Then do the following
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
exit
exit

-Now from your windows command prompt in sdk tools folder
adb push my_app.apk /system/app

-Once your finish
adb reboot

After the reboot your /system is returned to it's original read-only state.

Reactions: chrisz5z

jvanja

Aug 12, 2010
NYC
Thats exactly what I did..:/ Does shell give you a confirm that you got the rw rights after doing:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system??

In my case it only responded with the same line below..

silvertag

Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Thats exactly what I did..:/ Does shell give you a confirm that you got the rw rights after doing:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system??

In my case it only responded with the same line below..

No it wont say anything. After you've done the remount,rw check your mount with "mount" in the shell. The /dev/block/stl9 /system line should read like this.

Code:
/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs [color=green]rw[/color],vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

rather then

Code:
/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs [color=red]ro[/color],vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    any advice?

Did you do the "mount -o remount,ro ..." before you exited the shell ? sounds like your still on Read-only .

-First thing copy the .apk app into the sdk tools folder.
    -Then do the following
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
    exit
    exit

-Now from your windows command prompt in sdk tools folder
    adb push my_app.apk /system/app

-Once your finish
    adb reboot

After the reboot your /system is returned to it's original read-only state.