[ROM]{GT-P6210} OMGBBQROM Final Release 3/18/12 (Based on LA3 firmware)

Search This thread

bdds13

Aug 28, 2011
Mexico City
Warning: I am not responsible if I am not responsible if loading this rom hard bricks your tab. Install this at your own risk.

NOTE: This ROM is not compatible with Gary9d's Kernel

DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON T-Mobile's Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus
DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON GT-P6200

If you do install this on another device besides GT-P6210, you will soft brick your tab and I WILL NOT be able to help you out since I DO NOT have those devices.

I'm not sure if this will work on all the GT-P6210 from all regions since I don't have a samsung galaxy tab 7 plus from europe or any other place.

I am only sure that it will work on the American GT-P6210

Ok, so this is the first rom I have ever made so please be patient with me. If any of you more experienced developers see something wrong with this rom, please tell me so that I can fix it. The rom is based samsung's LA3 firmware.

Here are the rom features:

build.prop tweaks (improved touch screen response, enabled launcher hardware acceleration, experimental dalvik heapsize, possible battery saving tweaks, etc).
zip-aligned apps
removed bloatware (mostly samsung's apps such as their music player and store)
de-odexed
root (just install superuser from the market)(I don't take credit for this, Garyd9 is the one that got us root access for our device).
Go Launcher HD for tablet as default launcher (removed the crappy touchwiz-honeycomb launcher)

The rom is very basic right now, but I will be adding more features later on.

Installation instructions:
First you must have clockworkmod recovery installed. If you don't already have it installed go to this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1379532 and follow the instructions

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO A BACKUP BEFORE IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH THE INSTALLATION.

Once you have clockworkmod recovery installed, download the omgbbqrom betav1.zip and put it on your device memory. Then boot into clockworkmod recovery and choose

-install zip from sdcard

then

-choose zip from sdcard (not choose zip from internal sdcard, because thats actually the external sd card)

then

look for "OMGBBQROM Final Release" and select it

then

It will ask your to confirm install, select "-yes - install OMGBBQROM BETA v1". Wait for it to install.

I also recommend wiping dalvik cache, battery stats and fixing permissions. But it is not completely necessary

After it has finished installing go back to the main menu and look for -wipe data/factory reset and select it and choose "-yes -- delete all user data". When its done wiping the data reboot your tablet and wait for it to start up.

It will take about 5 min to boot up. It will stay on the samsung screen for a while because it's organizing all the new files. The first boot may be a little laggy because the market will be restoring all the apps to your tab.

Change Log:
v1.0: Initial Release
v1.1: Modified dalvik heapsize and zip-aligned system folder for real now. Improved wifi and improved video and audio streaming
v2.0: Improved battery life with deeper sleep. Disabled dithering for better performance. Enabled Dalvik VM Just-In-Time Compiler.

OMGBBQROM BETA v1.0 OBSOLETE AND CRAPPY

OMGBBQROM BETA v1.1 Removed (this one was mostly for testing purposes)(Please download the final release)

OMGBBQROM Final Release Removed for now (Need to add some fixes)

MD5:70A48AFD0E3ECCD30824ED15D32B07C4

Enjoy!

Screenshots

scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:

jmar8124

Apr 16, 2011
prestatyn
Warning: I am not responsible if I am not responsible if loading this rom hard bricks your tab. Install this at your own risk.

If you do install this on another device besides GT-P6210, you will soft brick your tab and I WILL NOT be able to help you out since I DO NOT have those devices.

I'm not sure if this will work on all the GT-P6210 from all regions since I don't have a samsung galaxy tab 7 plus from europe or any other place.

Ok, so this is the first rom I have ever made so please be patient with me. If any of you more experienced developers see something wrong with this rom, please tell me so that I can fix it. The rom is based samsung's LA3 firmware.

build.prop tweaks (improved touch screen response, enabled launcher hardware acceleration, experimental dalvik heapsize, possible battery saving tweaks, etc).
zip-aligned apps
de-odexed
root (just install superuser from the market)(I don't take credit for this, Garyd9 is the one that got us root access for our device).

Go Launcher HD for tablet as default launcher (removed the crappy touchwiz-honeycomb launcher)

First you must have clockworkmod recovery installed. If you don't already have it installed go to this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1379532 and follow the instructions

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO A BACKUP BEFORE IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH THE INSTALLATION.

Once you have clockworkmod recovery installed, download the omgbbqrom betav1.zip and put it on your device memory. Then boot into clockworkmod recovery and choose

-install zip from sdcard

then

-choose zip from sdcard (not choose zip from internal sdcard, because thats actually the external sd card)

then

look for OMGBBQROM BETA v1 and select it

then

It will ask your to confirm install, select -yes - install OMGBBQROM BETA v1. Wait for it to install.

After it has finished installing go back to the main menu and look for -wipe data/factory reset and select it and choose -yes -- delete all user data. When its done wiping the data reboot your tablet and wait for it to start up.

It will take about 5 min to boot up. It will stay on the samsung screen for a while because it's organizing all the new files.

Link: https://rapidshare.com/#!download|381tl4|3374871652|OMGBBQROM_BETA_v1.zip|142901

Enjoy!

this is great news for the wifi version unfortunately o have 3g tab :-( how about some screen shots :p let us have a look lol

Reactions: JayWheelz

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
this is great news for the wifi version unfortunately o have 3g tab :-( how about some screen shots :p let us have a look lol

Doesn't seem like he themed it much, so it should *almost* look identical to stock.

With that being said, I'm downloading now. Will install/test once I'm off of work at 7pm (pacific time) and I'll let you know how its running :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

bdds13

Aug 28, 2011
Mexico City
Doesn't seem like he themed it much, so it should *almost* look identical to stock.

With that being said, I'm downloading now. Will install/test once I'm off of work at 7pm (pacific time) and I'll let you know how its running :)

Yep, I didn't theme anything. I did try to change the font of the lockscreen clock to the roboto ice cream sandwich font but for some reason the hour part of the clock kept getting cut off. So for example the time was 8:30, then you would only see the right half of the number 8 lol. So for right now im leaving it with the stock honeycomb clock font. But I'll post a screenshot of that so you guys can see what I mean.

Roboto Font
photo021012001.jpg

Honeycomb Font
scaled.php

Sorry for bad quality of the images guys but atleast you can tell the difference between the two.

Last edited:

bdds13

Aug 28, 2011
Mexico City
Sorry Guys but I removed v1.0, I wasn't really happy with it. But now im uploading v1.1 right now and maybe its just me but v1.1 feels much faster

Last edited:

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
Guess I'll wait for 1.1 before testing then :)

bdds13

Aug 28, 2011
Mexico City
Yeah, sorry about that, the upload is almost complete, i'll have a link to it here as soon as its done.

I got a slow upload speed so its taking a while.

RivenSky

Apr 23, 2010
Seattle
About dang time! Will be checking this out first thing in the morning. Whoop whoop!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

allchannels99

Sep 3, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Great work! If I were you I would remove the Sim Tools, Phone, and Messaging APK's since our Tab is Wi-Fi only.
If it were my ROM I would also replace the stock Browser with Opera Mobile so we can have a real desktop experience, use ssLauncher instead ofGoLauncher, install Gesture Control to hide and show the Honeycomb Bar, install Loquendo TTS Susan instead of the stock robot voice, install the Toshiba Thrive Media Player and remove all others including Gallery, install Spare Parts and uncheck Compatibility Mode so any app can be fullscreen, install Supernote from Toshiba Thrive, install Swiftkey X for Tablets for the keyboard, Wi-Fi finder for wardriving, Zedge for notification tones, and TV.com, Play Movies, and Crackle for movies, and of course Tiny Flashlight and CameraZoom FX. Other than that it would be great if we could use Gary's kernel since it gives incredible battery life and NoLock so we don't have to deal with a lock screen, and GrooveIP so we can make calls via Google Voice on Wi-Fi.
Other than that it's rad.

bdds13

Aug 28, 2011
Mexico City
Great work! If I were you I would remove the Sim Tools, Phone, and Messaging APK's since our Tab is Wi-Fi only.
If it were my ROM I would also replace the stock Browser with Opera Mobile so we can have a real desktop experience, use ssLauncher instead ofGoLauncher, install Gesture Control to hide and show the Honeycomb Bar, install Loquendo TTS Susan instead of the stock robot voice, install the Toshiba Thrive Media Player and remove all others including Gallery, install Spare Parts and uncheck Compatibility Mode so any app can be fullscreen, install Supernote from Toshiba Thrive, install Swiftkey X for Tablets for the keyboard, Wi-Fi finder for wardriving, Zedge for notification tones, and TV.com, Play Movies, and Crackle for movies, and of course Tiny Flashlight and CameraZoom FX. Other than that it would be great if we could use Gary's kernel since it gives incredible battery life and NoLock so we don't have to deal with a lock screen, and GrooveIP so we can make calls via Google Voice on Wi-Fi.
Other than that it's rad.

Thanks for the feedback. The point of this rom is for it to be the lightest as possible so that means having the least apps as possible and letting the people install their own apps. Also I don't think I can put swiftkey x for tablets in because it would be illegal to put in a paid app in the rom. However I will ask for permission to put gesture control into this rom. I'll see if I can remove the simcard tools, phone and messaging apk and still make it boot.

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
Can you provide the file's md5sum? Rapidshare shows the file being 142.9mb and the actual downloaded file seems to be about 136mb :what:

bdds13

Aug 28, 2011
Mexico City
Can you provide the file's md5sum? Rapidshare shows the file being 142.9mb and the actual downloaded file seems to be about 136mb :what:

Hmm, thats weird. Ok, I didn't create a md5sum for the rom, i'm still new at this. So im reuploading it with md5sums. The actual file size should be 139mb.

Last edited:

Martinjv71

Aug 8, 2007
Chicagoland
What features will you add?

Just wondering before I flash this ROM...What features will you be adding? I would like to know before I flash this, set it all up and then find out there is a new version realeased and then I have to do it all over again...

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
it is actually 142.9... its correct.... just the way windows showing the info is different... just right click the zip and see the properties...

You're right. I've re-uploaded it anyways on mediafire this time /w md5sums just in case.

MD5sum: 2F945413D689C4415D1E8D21B57D140D

Thanks guys

Edit: running smooth so far. Only thing I did was replace the Go launcher with the stock launcher, haven't been a "Go" fan since their whole "data hoarding" fiasco a while back.

Will continue to test/keep an eye out for anything unusual

Last edited:
Reactions: bdds13

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NOTE: This ROM is not compatible with Gary9d's Kernel

zip-aligned apps
    de-odexed

-install zip from sdcard

then

then

look for "OMGBBQROM Final Release" and select it

then

It will ask your to confirm install, select "-yes - install OMGBBQROM BETA v1". Wait for it to install.

I also recommend wiping dalvik cache, battery stats and fixing permissions. But it is not completely necessary

After it has finished installing go back to the main menu and look for -wipe data/factory reset and select it and choose "-yes -- delete all user data". When its done wiping the data reboot your tablet and wait for it to start up.

It will take about 5 min to boot up. It will stay on the samsung screen for a while because it's organizing all the new files. The first boot may be a little laggy because the market will be restoring all the apps to your tab.

Change Log:
    v1.0: Initial Release
    v1.1: Modified dalvik heapsize and zip-aligned system folder for real now. Improved wifi and improved video and audio streaming
    v2.0: Improved battery life with deeper sleep. Disabled dithering for better performance. Enabled Dalvik VM Just-In-Time Compiler.

OMGBBQROM BETA v1.0 OBSOLETE AND CRAPPY

OMGBBQROM BETA v1.1 Removed (this one was mostly for testing purposes)(Please download the final release)

OMGBBQROM Final Release Removed for now (Need to add some fixes)

MD5:70A48AFD0E3ECCD30824ED15D32B07C4

Enjoy!

Screenshots

scaled.php

scaled.php
    OMGBBQROM Final Release

The final release will be up in couple hours. Changes in this version include Deep sleep enabled (saves much more battery during sleep), Disabled dithering for better performance, Enabled Dalvik VM Just-In-Time Compiler.

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments and patience!

The reason that this will (probably) be the last release is because of 2 things. (1) The stock rom is quite limiting and I can't add much more stuff to the rom. (2) I am currently working on getting Ice cream sandwich on our device.
    Actually I'm currently testing a new rom based on the KL2 firmware. I chose KL2 since it is compatible with garyd9's kernel. If I were you i'd wait for this new rom to be release. It will be much better!
    OMGBBQ ROM BETA v1.1 is up!
    it is actually 142.9... its correct.... just the way windows showing the info is different... just right click the zip and see the properties...