[WIDGET] Todo List Widget - a simple task list with ICS and HC scroll support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ftgg99

Account currently disabled
Mar 20, 2010
MOOGLY

A simple but powerful to do list widget designed to be customized. Now with auto-hiding buttons!

Features:

★ Multiple independent, scrollable widgets
★ Quick, dialog based entry
★ Tick to delete or mark complete
★ Widgets are optimized for Honeycomb
★ Predefined themes or total customization
★ RTL support
★ Custom image backgrounds

This widget was inspired by To Do List from HTC Sense - for some reason, they were the only ones to get it right.

Lite Market link - restricted to 8 entries and only one widget

https://market.android.com/details?id=fahrbot.apps.moogly.lite&feature=search_result

Screens:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4,197
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3,584
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3,285
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,119
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,070
Last edited:

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Must have
- More better themes
- Notifications and alarms
- Sorting

Could use
- Image background transparency
- Save custom themes

Would be nice
- Button themes
- Fullscreen note character board

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslfc5

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Nothing at all? I was hoping for a little feedback...

EXQEX9

Jun 20, 2010
Upland
Nothing at all? I was hoping for a little feedback...

I just downloaded and installed the free version and it looks really nice. However, I do feel that there is room for improvement in the functionality.

1. Scrollable please! I want to use the widget in a 2x4 space, but I have lots of things I want to put on it. Making the widget scrollable will allow me to use a smaller widget size instead of putting it in the 4x4 space I use now (I gave it its own screen). Ill pay for the app if you implement this.

2. Mark as done in one click! As of now, you click once to open a menu that shows your tasks, then you click a second time to mark a task done, then you click a third time to close the menu (EDIT This is totally wrong. Its only 2 clicks, but I think the point stands) Placing a check box or some other kind of button next to each task that marks it as done would streamline this process.

3. Option to display "notes" on the widget. Again, something that would remove "clicks" from the process of seeing notes. Maybe make a global default for displaying notes in all tasks, then be able to edit each tasks individual "note display options" independently of the default. Also, if a task has "hidden notes", maybe place an asterisk at the end to denote that is has hidden notes. As for tasks that display their notes on the widget, the notes should have their own font size, style, and color options, and ideally (for me) should be indented. :)

These are all just suggestions. I hope some of them get you thinking of ways to improve your app. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

Last edited:

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
I say I'll look into it when I've had some sleep...

EXQEX9

Jun 20, 2010
Upland

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
The amount of r&d I do depends on the number of people that buy the app. Everyone thinks its the other way round, but for a company time is money, so I have to see an app succeed first, before committing additional resources...

So when people just use lite versions, never leave ratings or comments but still demand features many studios lose interest.

Reactions: fafrehugen

EXQEX9

Jun 20, 2010
Upland
The amount of r&d I do depends on the number of people that buy the app. Everyone thinks its the other way round, but for a company time is money, so I have to see an app succeed first, before committing additional resources...

So when people just use lite versions, never leave ratings or comments but still demand features many studios lose interest.

If this comment is directed towards me, I certainly wasn't demanding anything. I was just trying to help you improve your product.

If you think people will buy your app before it has the features they are looking for, you might want to reconsider. I rated your app a 3 because it doesn't have what I'm looking for. I'm not going to give you a 5, let alone spend money, on something that isn't what I want. I hope that makes some sense.

Reactions: excarnate

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
If this comment is directed towards me, I certainly wasn't demanding anything. I was just trying to help you improve your product.

If you think people will buy your app before it has the features they are looking for, you might want to reconsider. I rated your app a 3 because it doesn't have what I'm looking for. I'm not going to give you a 5, let alone spend money, on something that isn't what I want. I hope that makes some sense.

How nice... however, I am a professional developer with over 20 apps. Im pretty sure i know what im doing in this business.

The 3 star rating is just a sign of ignorance, because two of the three features you want implemented are not possible under android at all. In fact, i know of only one other to do list app anywhere near as good as the current early (0.2) release of Moogly. And its still rubbish.

Giving the app a low rating despite it performing exactly as described will only lead to generally lower ratings and less time spent on development. But thats our lot - getting flamed by noobs with $500 phones who shy away from spending $1.48 on something they will use on a daily basis.

Reactions: fafrehugen

fafrehugen

May 19, 2011
Noginsk
Haha, i know exactly how you feel mate - people just dont understand :)

You are one of the few devs that actually engages with the users, and some are always just ungrateful. I have been trying to do some modifications to it, but as you told me before its not possible!

He gave it 3 star because it didnt have what he wanted, but the app never claimed to have more than what is in the description. The only good reviews are the ones that give 5 stars and say "Works as advertised".

Dunc001

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 6, 2010
Hiding out south of the border...
@ftgg99 - Just out of interest which of those suggestions are not possible in Android? Just asking as I'm still getting to grips with what you can and can't do in apps and widgets on Android. Is it possible to mark as done directly in the widget? Also, I have been using GTasks and integrating it into Pure Grid Calendar so all my stuff is in one place, however I fancied a change so am trying out beOrganized at present (but getting really pissed off having realised that the Voice entry function only works when you have wifi/data available - wtf!). Anyway, I'd like to give your app a try so will feed back. Tasks is a big thing for me on my phone and something I use equally as much as my calendar, and having tried most things out there I have to agree that none of them are a perfect solution. So good luck with your app, if I like the lite version I will happily pay your humble price ;)

BTW, would you consider adding in alarm/notification reminder for tasks like in GTasks - find that very handy...

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
@ftgg99 - Just out of interest which of those suggestions are not possible in Android? Just asking as I'm still getting to grips with what you can and can't do in apps and widgets on Android. Is it possible to mark as done directly in the widget? Also, I have been using GTasks and integrating it into Pure Grid Calendar so all my stuff is in one place, however I fancied a change so am trying out beOrganized at present (but getting really pissed off having realised that the Voice entry function only works when you have wifi/data available - wtf!). Anyway, I'd like to give your app a try so will feed back. Tasks is a big thing for me on my phone and something I use equally as much as my calendar, and having tried most things out there I have to agree that none of them are a perfect solution. So good luck with your app, if I like the lite version I will happily pay your humble price ;)

BTW, would you consider adding in alarm/notification reminder for tasks like in GTasks - find that very handy...

Regarding the not possible thing - i was pretty red-eye after coding all night and after a second thought i must admit that i was wrong. All of them are possible. Im a noob.

Originally i just made this for myself after finding nothing adequate on the market, and i never use any other features - why bother with notifications for example when the widget is one one of only three screens i stare at all day anyway?

Now of course ill have to take people's suggestions into account so the minimalism i enjoy will have to take a backseat :)

The alarm, notification thing is on the todo list already. Will be implemented next week for sure.

EXQEX9

Jun 20, 2010
Upland
How nice... however, I am a professional developer with over 20 apps. Im pretty sure i know what im doing in this business.

The 3 star rating is just a sign of ignorance, because two of the three features you want implemented are not possible under android at all. In fact, i know of only one other to do list app anywhere near as good as the current early (0.2) release of Moogly. And its still rubbish.

Giving the app a low rating despite it performing exactly as described will only lead to generally lower ratings and less time spent on development. But thats our lot - getting flamed by noobs with $500 phones who shy away from spending $1.48 on something they will use on a daily basis.

First off I want to say that the only reason I'm still in this thread is because I think there has been some kind of misunderstanding. I'm not one to argue online, but on the other hand, I don't like people thinking I'm flaming them when I'm trying to praise them.

I respect you're time spent as a dev, but I've been a consumer for longer than you've been a dev and I know that I will not buy a product based on future potential. Yes, even if it's $1.48. As a dev, you should know how those small sums can add up to be quite a bit over time.

Your app is the closest thing I have found to date to what I'm looking for in a todo widget. That having been said, I can't use it because it is missing some, of what are to me, key features. That having been said, I can't rate this app perfectly. The rating system, to me, does not reflect how well an app does what it advertises, but how useful/fun the app is overall and compared to other apps.

In my comment (EDIT: the one i made in the market), I did say that the app had serious potential. That's the highest praise I can give at the moment, but I think it's great praise.

I would appreciate you retracting the ignorant/noob comment, as you realized that the features are implementable.

Thank you if you've read this and thought about it objectively. Good luck with the app. I hope it's a success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOOGLY

A simple but powerful to do list widget designed to be customized. Now with auto-hiding buttons!

Features:

★ Multiple independent, scrollable widgets
    ★ Quick, dialog based entry
    ★ Tick to delete or mark complete
    ★ Widgets are optimized for Honeycomb
    ★ Predefined themes or total customization
    ★ RTL support
    ★ Custom image backgrounds

This widget was inspired by To Do List from HTC Sense - for some reason, they were the only ones to get it right.

Lite Market link - restricted to 8 entries and only one widget

https://market.android.com/details?id=fahrbot.apps.moogly.lite&feature=search_result

Screens:

need Gtasks integration
    Its coming. Now that Call Master has gone beta, ive got the time to concentrate on Moogly. Bext week you will have your sync.
    Youre right. I will add it, thanks for the steering :)
    No offense, but its only a dollar. Surely a much better incentive to work faster is a little donation?
    I don't see the point in buying an app that doesn't fit my needs. Already uninstalled since I need the syncing feature, but will definitely purchase it once that function is in.