[Q] Somebody fluent in Linux, Want to help me out?

Search This thread

danipoak

Feb 27, 2012
Took the plunge and put lmde on. It seems great so far. My only problem now is since I did the system update there is no minimize button on any of the windows. Wtf?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Took the plunge and put lmde on. It seems great so far. My only problem now is since I did the system update there is no minimize button on any of the windows. Wtf?

Yeah that's gnome3 for you. It changed everything... if you want it to go back to how the original was download mate-desktop-enviroment then log off and to the left there is a selector choose MATE and everything will be back to normal :). Did this today... like it better than cinnamon and gnome3... althought gnome is more appealing mate is more functional.

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Noo I'm scared lol, well since I'm bored, might as well try and see

Lmao its not hard if you want a walk through add me on gtalk I was just as scared... but darkie walked me through and I've done it recently so ill know everything you'll be concerned with just add me crystylizd@gmail.com . :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition). It fixed aprosamurai's issues. After you install it and boot up, open terminal and run this
    Sudo apt-get update
    Sudo apt-get upgrade

And then reboot

Ubuntu is super picky about drivers and mint debian edition 'just works'. In my opinion, Ubuntu is on a downfall as an OS for developers and has become an OS geared toward kids who want a super simple UI for just using the internet. It doesn't even natively support a full root user and the UI is incredibly hard to multitask on.

Aprosamurai had a similar graphics card (ATI built in). I have an ATI dedicated.

You shouldn't have to run any other mods after installing LMDE and doing what I said.

Ubuntu is touchwiz, LMDE is AOSP
    Just need some questions answered/ suggestions.
    I have ubuntu 10.04 on my HP Pavillion DV6z, and it works.. but is very crippled. It took me to hell and back to get my screen to work.. even though it won't detect my monitor but displays and I get random graphical glitches. My internet won't work through a cable anymore... and is supper slow and unreliable. I had to frakenstien my wifi drivers to make wifi even partially work. I have the windows wireless drivers for linux installed, as well as some other official drivers for my RTL8189ce wifi card that I installed via terminal. My wifi drops and reconnects quite often even though my router is RIGHT next to me. My battery lasts at the most 3 and a half hours... its a high capacity 6-cell li-ion battery. It lasts 7 hours or so on Windows and windows is a battery hog... and uses 30% of my 6gb's of RAM... Ubuntu uses 7%.

Okay now to the suggestions/questions... will newer builds help? I tried 11.10 and it wouldn't get my screen to turn on but found out about using "nomodeset" at the bootscreen and it should work... then permanetly adding that to the boot kernel. Not certain but may work. Is there a flavor of linux that is very similar to windows... or to better put universally compatible with more windows pc's? I was going to try deving and learning code but don't even think its worth it with such a crippled laptop ='[. PLEASE help me... I'm tired of being stuck with windows... love me some linux.

Not to offend/discourage anyone from helping but googling and pasting me some links isn't going to cut it trust me I've spent days on trying to fix this... and it is what it is now because of that.
    So I need some real pros or someone who's been through this type of ordeal... even tho I hear most don't even get such issues.

Specs:

AMD A8 3550-mx with Radeon HD 6220g [discrete class graphics]
    6gbs of RAM
    Windows 7 64 and ubuntu 10.04 64bit
    560gb HDD 5400rpm.

It gets the job done...

I would reformat the partition but when you boot up into the live cd I am sure it will give you the option to do so. Running the live cd first to make sure everything is working properly is always a good idea. If it isn't then you would want to hit up their forums and see if what is not working in your case is just a missing driver from the live cd and it would start working when you install it and update the OS or if there is something else going on.
    So I'm installing mint and its asking for me to review the bootloader "install grub bootloader" is select for /dev/sda... is that where it goes? My partition is on sda4.

Just do what it recommends. Grub is the part where it asks windows or Linux so it should be on /dev/sda

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Yep.. :) its working flawlessly the sound doesnt crackle like it did on ubuntu.... :D. Im very tempted to remove my windows partition altogether :).. but i wont. :rolleyes: one issue though everytime i go to the update manager and try to let it update to 1.5 it keeps sticking.. ? wont do anything and i have to force quit it. is it normal that it freezes and is it just me jumping the gun?

I don't use the manager. Apt-get upgrade should update everything you need. I have not yet updated to 1.5

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk