|Guide|How-To| Root & Install Custom Recovery for 4.3 / 4.4 Update |16 July 2014 |

Search This thread

BearOnThePhone

Jul 14, 2012
When I try to flash TWRP it says pass but when I boot into recovery i get the android guy on his back with a red exclamation point and its stock recovery.

Is there any reason why its failing for me? I followed step 2 directions.
EDIT______

Not sure why, but it worked when I flashed the latest version 2.6.3.1 from here techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/d2att

If anyone else runs into my problem try that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkeats20

StaticMaal

Jul 26, 2010
Raleigh,NC
After installing and rooting OTA 4.3, installing custom recovery, flashed romoved KNOX script are you able to flash a rom below 4.3 without brick?
I didn't read the other forum about how to upgrade to 4.3 by OP.

Last edited:

einsteinz

Jun 18, 2012
i used this method, i dont know how, but work

Dunno where you guys got your 4.3 update from and how you got it working but I did the OTA and Root just does not want to stick. I used knox remover and Cf auto root but it loses root after a restart. SuperSu never opens and crashes as soon as you open it. I have a feeling Cf auto root is just not compatible for the ota 4.3 i747??

sorry for my english, isn't my native language

this void the warranty.

i already had my galaxy s3 sgh-747 (at&t) 4.1.2 rooted, i didn't unroot.
i also had 'rom toolbox pro' to backup my file and apks and 'triangle away'

1) downloaded via OTA the 4.3
2) installed CF-Auto-Root-d2att-d2uc-samsungsghi747.zip with odin
3) after reboot, the SuperSU start crashing
4) just remove from the phone the old update.zip (need it when root 4.0) and download the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip into my phone.
5) in the galaxy s3, go to: 'my file -> all files -> Device storage -> App-Manager -> App_Backups -> system_apps' and install again the 'eu.chainfire.supersu.apk'
if you don't have 'rom toolbox', may be work if you download the chainfire and install it again.
6) and done

i don't know how, but, believe me, i read a lot of methods. but just doing this work for me.

Last edited:

stoobie-doo

May 2, 2008
Dallas
Who has been able to stay rooted without switching recoveries or permanently removing Knox, and if so, how? The only person who seems to have reported that working is norbarb, and it's hard to tell why it has worked for him, but not others.

My S3 is my work phone and my company is hinting it will soon require no root to access email, so I am loathe to do anything difficult to reverse if I am going to have to unroot at some point anyway and there doesn't appear to be an easy way to flash back to any stock once you take the 4.3 plunge.

PimpMyPC

Nov 21, 2013
Who has been able to stay rooted without switching recoveries or permanently removing Knox, and if so, how? The only person who seems to have reported that working is norbarb, and it's hard to tell why it has worked for him, but not others.

My S3 is my work phone and my company is hinting it will soon require no root to access email, so I am loathe to do anything difficult to reverse if I am going to have to unroot at some point anyway and there doesn't appear to be an easy way to flash back to any stock once you take the 4.3 plunge.

It wont work without removing knox. Knox is basically like a virus from Samsung it blocks almost everything you do. I froze about 30-40 apps today and the money is a million times better

lilmagnus

Sep 7, 2006
Mid-Atlantic
Odin won't recognize phone after 4.3 update

First. Big thanks to all those involved in providing info on doing this to our phones. Forever grateful.

As the title says, Odin 3.07 doesn't see updated phone. Even uninstalled Kies 2.6, Samsung drivers, and then installed Kies 3 with the included drivers. Phone accessible as MTP device but no go while in stock recovery. Any other ideas out there? Really need to get this rooted as my TiBU data is now being held hostage.

Thanks

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
Anyone know which adb drivers to use so that my win7 laptop sees the phone in recovery? Everything is fine in download mode, when the phone is on (normally), etc. It's just recovery where adb kill-server, then adb usb shows up error detecting device...or something like that. I have the S3 toolkit installed, no Kies. My laptop and recovery work fine for TWRP 2.5.0.0 but not 2.6.3.0. The sideload files don't work with 2.5.0.0, get a "whole-file signature verification failed" error.

I did a nandroid back to my 4.1.2 for now, but did take a snapshot of my unrooted 4.3 install.

Last edited:

mewikime

Aug 12, 2011
Los Angeles
If you are uncertain about any of the steps above, please ask your questions here before proceeding.

Haha, if you're sure :p

I'm currently on Loserskater's [Stock Rom] AT&T 4.1.2 UCMG2 {Rooted} ROM with CWM Touch 6.0.4.3.

To be able to Odin back to stock 4.1.1 do I use PDA? And do I uncheck everything else? Also, am I right to believe that using the 4.1.1 link in Post 1 of [Download][Install] 4.3 OTA Update will take me back to unrooted, stock rom and stock recovery?

Thanks

tailgunner9

Apr 8, 2012
Jackson, Tn.

Haha, if you're sure :p

I'm currently on Loserskater's [Stock Rom] AT&T 4.1.2 UCMG2 {Rooted} ROM with CWM Touch 6.0.4.3.

To be able to Odin back to stock 4.1.1 do I use PDA? And do I uncheck everything else? Also, am I right to believe that using the 4.1.1 link in Post 1 of [Download][Install] 4.3 OTA Update will take me back to unrooted, stock rom and stock recovery?

Thanks
I seem to have a weaker Wi-Fi signal in my home now after 4.3 and rooting. Anyone noticed this on their cell??

Coonman

Jan 27, 2013
I actually just installed the 4.3 update.zip with Mobile Odin Pro's everroot option. I've not had any issues, but I'm not aware if Knox, even though it doesn't appear, is still present on this ROM, which is just the official AT&T update. I've yet to scour the filesystem for any evidence, though. I got my custom recovery by means of ROM Manager's flashing capability, and that also appears to function properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: gnahc79

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
I actually just installed the 4.3 update.zip with Mobile Odin Pro's everroot option. I've not had any issues, but I'm not aware if Knox, even though it doesn't appear, is still present on this ROM, which is just the official AT&T update. I've yet to scour the filesystem for any evidence, though. I got my custom recovery by means of ROM Manager's flashing capability, and that also appears to function properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

THIS WORKS!!!! :)
on my stock and auto-cf rooted 4.1.2 I installed the 4.3 update zip with Mobile Odin Pro's everroot option. and then in adb:
su
pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid

stoobie-doo

May 2, 2008
Dallas
THIS WORKS!!!! :)
on my stock and auto-cf rooted 4.1.2 I installed the 4.3 update zip with Mobile Odin Pro's everroot option. and then in adb:
su
pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
Did you load the OTA or load the update.zip onto your SD card (and if the latter, which link)
Have you confirmed root has stayed after rebooting?
This seems like a much more reversible way to go, which would definitely be my preference.

One more question - would android terminal emulator also work here, or do I need to install ADB?

Last edited:

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
Did you load the OTA or load the update.zip onto your SD card (and if the latter, which link)
Have you confirmed root has stayed after rebooting?
This seems like a much more reversible way to go, which would definitely be my preference.

One more question - would android terminal emulator also work here, or do I need to install ADB?

never used the emulator before, sorry. Yes I've rebooted my phone several times and still have root (copying some wifi files to /system and /etc to try to get LEAP wifi working). No funky shield error popups or anything.

I loaded the 4.3 update zip from the OP. While building the flash update, I got some file warnings from odin pro since my 4.1.2 has root and modified wifi files. I did the update and the 4.3 update worked, I did check wipe data and cache since 4.1.2 to 4.3 is a big jump.

stoobie-doo

May 2, 2008
Dallas
never used the emulator before, sorry. Yes I've rebooted my phone several times and still have root (copying some wifi files to /system and /etc to try to get LEAP wifi working). No funky shield error popups or anything.

I loaded the 4.3 update zip from the OP. While building the flash update, I got some file warnings from odin pro since my 4.1.2 has root and modified wifi files. I did the update and the 4.3 update worked, I did check wipe data and cache since 4.1.2 to 4.3 is a big jump.
Thanks - wondering whether I should re-root with CF before doing this; I rooted on 4.1.1 with Mr. Robinson's no tripping the flash counter method http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426 and used Voodoo OTA to keep root when I went to 4.1.2

You didn't mention in your post - are you on stock recovery or a custom one?

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA

big_redfox

Aug 20, 2007
Method 2 works

I was 4.1.2 stock rooted. I tried OTA update and it did not work. So I revert back to factory image using Kies, which is 4.1.1 instead of 4.1.2. Did the OTA it goes straight to 4.3.

Tried CF Auto-root (method 1) and it did not work for me due to Knox. Tried the method 2 and it worked.

KarmaCamel

Aug 23, 2013
Success with CF Auto Root + Knox Removal + Super SU zip

It took a few passes but I took the OTA 4.3 update, ran a Knox Removal tool, ran CF Auto Root, and installed Super SU from the zip.

For some reason after doing this once Super SU would immediately exit anyway, but after a few tries it went through and now my root is sticky through reboots. The same was happening even after running Knox removal. But I retried CF Auto Root followed by Super SU from zip, and can confirm it's working.

My suspicion is that the SuperSU dev has been hard at work getting it 4.3 ready, and that may have been the difference maker.

Nothing special but posting related threads anyway. :cyclops:

CF Auto Root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963790
Knox Removal: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507931
SuperSU: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

CYRAXDroid

Jun 9, 2011
I did the update today (11/25/13) and I have been reading some threads about all issues with this update. Now and reading this thread is it safe to root. And and install twrp/roms. I've seen some post about knox, bricking, and not having any fixes.

I'm completely stock no root. I just updated. And so far I'm seeing that knox is the new bootloader blocker. So I'm just a little stand offish about rooting again with this new update.
Screenshot_2013-11-26-02-49-48-1.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    |Guide|How-To| Root & Install Custom Recovery for 4.3 / 4.4 Update |16 July 2014 |

Warning: Following any of these instructions will void your warranty, and could possibly cause irreparable harm to your device (i.e. bricked). If you do not understand these risks, stop here and do not proceed. If you do not know how to use Odin, stop here and do not proceed. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. YOU chose to follow this guide.

If you have not updated to 4.3, go here.

If you have not updated to 4.4, go here.

Finally, there is no guarantee that either method will work for you.

Root Method #1:
    The first thing you should try is CF-Autoroot since this has worked for many users.

If you successfully root with this method, you can simply install Goo Manager or ROM Manager and install recovery.

This method failed for me after many attempts.

Edit:
    Here is some potentially useful info for root method #1 from ansonantonym.

Root Method #2:
    1) Reboot in to download mode
    2) Flash TWRP with Odin via PDA
    3) Reboot to recovery then flash SuperSu and the Knox Remover
    4) Reboot
    5) Download SuperSu from the Play Store
    6) Open SuperSu and update the binary when prompted
    7) Reboot
    8) Enjoy rooted 4.3/4/4

Downloads:
    Odin

TWRP (Odin flashable tar)

SuperSu (v1.65)

SuperSu (v2.01)

DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0

If you found another method that worked for you, please post here so that others may benefit.

If you are uncertain about any of the steps above, please ask your questions here before proceeding.

Please be sure to thank Chainfire, Dees_Troy, and Kaito95.

Rooted with CF-Auto Root method

Hi all

Just rooted successfully with method 1 or CF Auto Root method from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963790

This is the first time i am rooting my phone. Phone is AT&T Galaxy S3 I747. Android was 4.3

Steps followed:
    1. Followed the instructions as per the thread and used Odin to install the CF-Auto root tar file.
    2. Phone rebooted. (Super SU crashed. Knox showed a notification about blocking an App)
    3. Went to Play store and updated Super SU.
    4. Opened Super SU and updated Binary
    5. Super SU notified me that Knox was installed and asked whether to disable it. and i said yes.
    6. All done. Got Root access.
    7. (optional) If you need custom recovery, install ROM Manager from play store and flash CWM from it.

I restarted couple of times and the root is persistent.

For people having issues with SuperSU update:
    Please make sure SuperSU is not installed before this process as mentioned by fffft in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49485783

Hope this helps someone.
    Thanks alot everything works and its rooted.
    Now, think about what you did to get rooted. Think of all the steps you followed that lead you to success. Remind you of something? It should...it is the instructions from post #1.

Going forward, please do yourself a favor and make sure you read, read, read before you do anything to your phone. This time you struggled to root, next time you could brick your device.
    Root method #2 works. Unfortunately I lost all my data after the flash cleared by internal storage.

The instructions should be clarified for step (2) - flash TWRP. After flash is complete in ODIN, it will reboot the phone. DO NOT LET THE PHONE REBOOT. As soon as the flash is complete, press and hold the Vol UP and HOME buttons, so that the phone goes into Recovery mode. The go to step (3) to flash KNOX and SU.

If the phone reboots, TWRP gets wiped off from memory. When you go to step (3) to flash SU and KNOX, it will wipe off all data. Not to mention, Root will not work.

I learnt this the hard way :(
    Once you have 4.3, there is no known (or likely) way to go back to 4.1.x. That is because 4.3 was a major update and it blew a "qfuse" on the phone, preventing a reversion. The best that you can reasonably hope for on that front is to use a tool like Safestrap to boot a secondary ROM. That doesn't multiboot kernels, just the ROM. But it is conceivable that a pre 4.3 version could be emulated. In short.. you should think of 4.3 as irreversible unless someone does something unexpectedly clever.

edit for clarity.. you can revert the file system files e.g. with a custom ROM, flashing with mobile Odin, etc. What you can't revert is the underlying bootloader /modem that controls a lot of the functionality and characterizes the version that your phone runs.

For those having problems rooting or adding custom recoveries under 4.3.. both methods at the head of this thread continue to work. Where most people are running into problems is in having remnants of Supersu remaining that keep the second attempt from succeeding. You need to completely remove Supersu. Probably the easiest way to do that is to flash a stock ROM before trying to root or add a recovery. And then the two methods at the start of the thread work just fine for 4.3.

So if you've been having problems,

1. Backup any important data. Then flash a stock ROM via Odin. Important: make sure that partition is not checked in the Odin menu. And use the PDA line to select the stock ROM tar file.

Followed by:
    2. If you just want to root and don't need a custom recovery, then CF-autoroot works well.
    3. If you want a custom recovery e.g. TWRP, then use Odin to flash TWRP instead of CF-autoroot. Then boot to recovery and use TWRP to flash install the SuperSu and remove Knox zip files).

In all cases you should be using the newest versions of TWRP, SuperSu, CF-autoroot, etc. Older versions of TWRP or SuperSu won't work properly under 4.3

-