FORUMS

Anyone else sad that RIM bought TAT?

313 posts
Thanks Meter: 27

By lostinbeta, Senior Member on 2nd December 2010, 11:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/02/r...oming-awesome/

So, is anyone else sad that RIM bought TAT? Those of you that don't know, TAT helped with and polished the original Android interface for the G1 and helped us get to what we all know and love today in Android. Not to mention they have 3 awesome live wallpapers on the market, plus they have that awesome TAT Home homescreen replacement that never got to see the light of day... yes, it was supposed to be an OEM homescreen replacement, but it would have been nice to see it released sometime. *sigh* I'm actually surprised Google didn't purchase them first, given what they've put into Android in the past and what they can obviously do with it now.
2nd December 2010, 11:53 PM |#2  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I am very surprised that a buttoned up, un innovative company like RIM snatched them up. They must be terrified of iOS and Android (rightly so) to step so far out of their comfort zone.
3rd December 2010, 12:11 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactagonist

I am very surprised that a buttoned up, un innovative company like RIM snatched them up. They must be terrified of iOS and Android (rightly so) to step so far out of their comfort zone.

I think after their current os overhaul sort of fell flat they are desperate for something to keep people interested. Something more than color and icon changes.
3rd December 2010, 12:34 AM |#4  
Flag Montréal
Thanks Meter: 22

More
I'm not really sad, I really want RIM to get back in the game, since it's a Canadian company and I'm proud of having technology companies in here...I wouldn't like if it RIM died out just like Nortel did, would suck badly to get overhauled by American companies only...

Although, RIM really has to work its ass off to make better stuff...I mean, the torch has a suckier cpu and same camera as the Nexus which came out almost a year ago...they really need to get some exclusive things...now, they even lost what was pretty much the only "exclusive" feature, being the BlackBerry Messenger...they are now in court with Kik just for that matter :P
3rd December 2010, 03:04 AM |#5  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 135

More
It'd pretty easy to make some sparkly beautiful UI . Its another to make it work properly with available hardware.
G1 won my heart but the ui is the reason sense and others came about.
Unless there's something I'm missing ...big whoop. BB needs a big overhaul lets see what they can do with that OS.
3rd December 2010, 03:35 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xManMythLegend

It'd pretty easy to make some sparkly beautiful UI . Its another to make it work properly with available hardware.
G1 won my heart but the ui is the reason sense and others came about.
Unless there's something I'm missing ...big whoop. BB needs a big overhaul lets see what they can do with that OS.

Check out tat home, the 2d-3d list and map Apps as well as their XML based interfaces. Tat is good at what they do when they are given free reign. IMO they could have done great things for android, I think Google restricts to keep things simple rather than flashy as android is supposed to be able to operate on devices of different power.
3rd December 2010, 03:49 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
You know to tell you the truth: competition is always good for us the customer. Apple vs. Android isn't enough and even Google can get lazy. Hopefully RIM will FINALLY help push the industry forward.

Also, I'm looking at getting a Playbook to connect to my Nexus One via free wifi hotspot. Maybe this will make the Playbook a better product in the future, which again, helps all of us at the end of the day.

Apple and Google don't need TAT...RIM certainly does. They finally have shown some life with this acquisition.
3rd December 2010, 03:55 AM |#8  
Switzerland
Thanks Meter: 28

More
as a former RIM developer I'm couldn't sign the statement "RIM is innovative".
The hardware is very powerfull, but the OS is way behind, OS6 is nothing but a polished GUI on top of OS5. BES the core strength of RIM is losing ground, just as RIM did within 1 year dropping stocks approx. 50%.
If a little theme with a few SVG lines can bend down a 1ghz device, there's nothing to feel sad, but for the customer wasting a lot of money. Not intended to get into a flame, but since the question popped up, here's my 2 cents.
3rd December 2010, 04:24 AM |#9  
Flag Montréal
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTimeWorld

as a former RIM developer I'm couldn't sign the statement "RIM is innovative".
The hardware is very powerfull, but the OS is way behind, OS6 is nothing but a polished GUI on top of OS5. BES the core strength of RIM is losing ground, just as RIM did within 1 year dropping stocks approx. 50%.
If a little theme with a few SVG lines can bend down a 1ghz device, there's nothing to feel sad, but for the customer wasting a lot of money. Not intended to get into a flame, but since the question popped up, here's my 2 cents.

The hardware itself is indeed very "solid' and extremely reliable, thus the incredible business use of BlackBerry. The specs, though, fall short in today's standards!

Hopefully, they will come up with something nice soon, before they get forgotten in oblivion :P
3rd December 2010, 08:09 AM |#10  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinbeta

Check out tat home, the 2d-3d list and map Apps as well as their XML based interfaces. Tat is good at what they do when they are given free reign. IMO they could have done great things for android, I think Google restricts to keep things simple rather than flashy as android is supposed to be able to operate on devices of different power.

I have. Theyre beautiful. But so was Xperias Android UI.
Concept designs for Android have been gorgeous and "futuristic" but they all flop if they even bother seeing light of day.
If you want to say its Google restricting I wont argue. Im sure they refuse to add anything that hampers there backbone. But seeing how cooliris got free reign and we ended up with a slow , low res Gallery app im more prone to thinking HW simply is not up to the point to handle these interfaces.

At the end of the day its another case of a looming update with no sign of UI overhaul. I dont have "major" issues with current UI. But its clear that these big leaps being shown just arent happening. I cant fathom why Google would simply say no. There has to be another reason. Maybe the Sidekick/Palm guy wasnt to keen on them ?

WebOS UI > Android/Ios/BB anyways.
3rd December 2010, 01:39 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Haha, good point about the gallery. Cooliris really did fail on that one. I hope it either gets better or gets replaced in future versions of android.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)