[Android] Donut Evolution - Feb 25: Full, Fast, Stable and many flavours

Search This thread

plemen

Here is the newest Donut build and it works for non-rootfs NAND only. Tested at 320x240.

Changelog:

Feb 25

- modified internal task management
- +

Feb 8

- reverted changes in sysinit and build.prop to fix some FC's
- testing Polaris wifi support

Features:

- Solid base (from AOSP Eclair and Heroblend Donut - based of Enomther's build)
- All packages zipaligned for speed - fast!
- Bluetooth and GPS
- Wysie's Contacts, Eclair Calculator
- Full market
- 4 themes with more to come
- blah blah - lots of the latest and greatest

Base File with Eclair theme:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ddzy2otmkjy/base_253d_androidinstall.zip

Sqsh file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vnyyyju3nzm/253d_system.sqsh

Wi-Fi Update for Kaiser/Polaris:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5683048&postcount=1197

4330673735_f9e879ee44.jpg
4331408544_f1844d5df6.jpg
4330673341_786637e6db.jpg

4330673323_af588d82cf.jpg
4330673547_2b900425ca.jpg

HeroBlend Theme (custom blend)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nnj1lmtnhmu/heroblend_v253_androidupdate.zip

4330673595_491363af10.jpg
4330673631_8400c2a4e2.jpg
4331408402_511561c2c0.jpg

Plastic Theme (by nebrada)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/evkmwikwekj/plastic_v253_androidupdate.zip

4330673673_134ce75f1b.jpg
4331408484_859a2be164.jpg

Darkstar (by freakfrogy)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mtjdyzntkud/darkstar_v253_androidupdate.zip

4331408186_16eeee6180.jpg
4331408232_7dc118a27a.jpg
4330673489_a1709fbe58.jpg

Thanks to zen, vilord, dzo, enatefox, enomther, djengizz, canadiancow, srwalter, jamezelle, jnandke, shidell, mrkite32 and everybody else who's contributed and encouraged.

If you like what I do, buy me a drink!

Last edited:

sshark

Sep 17, 2008
damn it, I always get post #2 on all great builds.

Full market?? Nice..

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007
Nice work buddy.

PS. Are you from Canada? Maybe even Toronto?

The reason I ask is I see "The Hip" playing and I know they are big there. Having lived there for 21 years :).

plemen

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
i'm not sure I believe that market enabler actually does anything to the missing market apps for donut and above anymore. why?

1. after booting 320x480, getting full market, then going to 240x320 and using market enabler religiously, after 4-5 days my market still reverts back to having missing apps.

2. after booting a data.img at 240x320, I ran market enabler before entering my google account stuff. missing market apps still missing (paid apps yes, but no pandora, no google listen, no pdanet, no weather channel etc etc).

but i'm willing to be a believer. i'm going to fire this up in 240x320 with a brand spanking new data file and see what rolls. I think we need to find a way to fake resolution to google to avoid missing apps, as the market enabler/t-mobile footprint thing seems to only work for paid apps. waiting to stand corrected though . . . will post back.

plemen

i'm not sure I believe that market enabler actually does anything to the missing market apps for donut and above anymore. why?

1. after booting 320x480, getting full market, then going to 240x320 and using market enabler religiously, after 4-5 days my market still reverts back to having missing apps.

2. after booting a data.img at 240x320, I ran market enabler before entering my google account stuff. missing market apps still missing (paid apps yes, but no pandora, no google listen, no pdanet, no weather channel etc etc).

but i'm willing to be a believer. i'm going to fire this up in 240x320 with a brand spanking new data file and see what rolls. I think we need to find a way to fake resolution to google to avoid missing apps, as the market enabler/t-mobile footprint thing seems to only work for paid apps. waiting to stand corrected though . . . will post back.

This build won't show you the apps for different resolutions - just gives you the full market (as market enabler would) for 320 x 240; I'll have to correct the wording to avoid confusion.

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
This build won't show you the apps for different resolutions - just gives you the full market (as market enabler would) for 320 x 240; I'll have to correct the wording to avoid confusion.

love the build, fast as usual. I see you are feeling lcd.density of 113, I like it. love the animations as well. yeah, to me "full market" means everything - only way to get that, it seems, is booting a fresh data file at 320x480. I should work on a fix for that . . .

berardi

Jul 16, 2007
NYC
absolutely love it! same stable build as last time, updated. With bluetooth and fully functional gps, there is really not much more that I could ask for! For my phone and my use, this build is far and away the fastest out there, very smooth. Everything just fits right on the screen too. Nothing fancy but 100% usable.

Love that you have paid apps enabled by default too.

Tatnai, you figure out how to fix the market / resolution issue and I don't think there is a single thing left we can complain about...as small of an annoyance as it is.

Thanks Plemen! great work as usual

Last edited:

timmey

May 22, 2008
i´ve installed this version to my polaris and it runs very nice and fast. thanks!

just a few things i noticed:
- data connection works
- camera works
- wifi doesn´t work
- market doesn´t work (always getting a server error message)
- coundn´t test bluetooth yet

wifi not working is a big issue for me since i don´t have a data-plan. hope this gets fixed in the future :)

plemen

i´ve installed this version to my polaris and it runs very nice and fast. thanks!

just a few things i noticed:
- data connection works
- camera works
- wifi doesn´t work
- market doesn´t work (always getting a server error message)
- coundn´t test bluetooth yet

wifi not working is a big issue for me since i don´t have a data-plan. hope this gets fixed in the future :)

I'm not sure what enabling wifi for the polaris entails - I only have a vogue but if somebody sends me the info I'll add an update and add it to the first post.

stopthebus

Apr 3, 2006
Any body got google voice to work on this build?
Mine installed fine, but then keep force closing.

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Tatnai, you figure out how to fix the market / resolution issue and I don't think there is a single thing left we can complain about...as small of an annoyance as it is.
would love to, but don't hold your breath . . .
Any body got google voice to work on this build?
Mine installed fine, but then keep force closing.
getting that too. going to try clearing my dalvik cache again and re-installing, I wonder if the new footprint has anything to do with it? if what I'm doing now doesn't work, I may try replacing the build.prop with another footprint, will post back.

EDIT 1: ok, i pulled myns build.prop and dumped it in, google voice works again. I don't know if it is the carrier settings (could be) or maybe the lcd.density (don't think so, unlikely but I guess possible; I know I've used 113 before and I don't recall it causing a problem). I've got to go to bed (my wife's about to kill me) so I can't test anymore. Someone should try google voice with myns build.prop changed to 113, and with plemen's changed to 110. I'll assume that plemen's is going to still force close at 110 cause I think it may be the carrier settings. then we'll need to figure out which setting in particular.

Last edited:

iseeka

Jul 5, 2006
I'm not sure what enabling wifi for the polaris entails - I only have a vogue but if somebody sends me the info I'll add an update and add it to the first post.

what info do you need?

I know nothing about it but I can spend time searching and asking

thanks for your interest in incorporating wifi for polaris

Top Liked Posts