[Tutorial] FNF Ifive Mini 4s custom recovery and root

Search This thread

UnknownDK

Oct 24, 2016
Hjallerup
I finally managed to get a custom recovery and root working on my new FNF Ifive Mini 4s :)

I found This post, that claimed to be a recovery working for all tablets with a rk3288 chipset, so i decided to check it out. I would like to say thanks to Oma7144 for making the post on archtablet.com and another huge thanks to CrewRKTablets who made the tool and recoveries :D

The tool can in theory also install TWRP, which actually also worked for me, but the touch part does not work so it is pretty useless. This is why we are going to use ClockworkMod ;) If anyone figures out how to get TWRP working, please do tell me :D

So first of all you need to download the recovery tool and a supersu of your choosing. Chainfire seemed to be the only thing working, so I am going to use that.
Chainfire SU
Recovery tool (New link thanks to k8500)

Now follow these steps:

1. Extract the recovery tool
  2. Enter the RKDriverInstaller folder and run Driverinstall.exe as admin.
  3. Press Uninstall driver
  4. Press Install driver
  5. Enter the RKAndroidTool folder and run AndroidTool.exe as admin.
  6. Turn off your tablet
  7. Enter Loader mode by connecting your tablet to the computer with the included usb cable and pressing Power-button and Vol-.
  8. The AndroidTool should look like this now.
    GGQbphz.png
  9. Check box number 12 as shown here.
    2VHAQ21.png
  10. Press run. Your tablet should reboot now.
  11. Now transfer the Supersu zip file to the tablet.
  12. Turn off the tablet and enter your new recovery by pressing the power button and Vol- button. This time without the powercable in.
  13. Nagivate to install zip with the Vol- and Vol+. Select it by pressing the powerbutton once.
  14. Select Choose zip from /Sdcard
  15. Now find your zip file and select it.
  16. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes.
  17. Now reboot. If CWM asks if it should repair supersu select No.
  18. You should now be rooted.

If you did something wrong and ended up in a bootloop I have written a tutorial on how to fix it. You can find it here.

Last edited:

spiou

Jul 20, 2007
Paris
Hello, still running one with 1.1.1.C image.
I has definitely some bugs but I don't know if it would ever be recycled so I'm trying to integrate it into a DIY project.
Any backup of modded LineageOS 14.1 by Oma (aka post 61) ?
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum...-custom-root-firmware-20170609/page-5/#p60891
Hello,
I own a Fnf iFive mini 4 (not the 4s) and I'm also interested in the lineage 14.1 ROM build by OMA. Unfortunately, all links on arctablet are down...
Is there anyone who have a backup of the package referenced in the 1st post ?
Thank you in advance
PS : my old iFive is still running the custom Riley ROM under Kit Kat !

Reactions: esqjf

Split_X: z

Nov 27, 2014
Hello,
I own a Fnf iFive mini 4 (not the 4s) and I'm also interested in the lineage 14.1 ROM build by OMA. Unfortunately, all links on arctablet are down...
Is there anyone who have a backup of the package referenced in the 1st post ?
Thank you in advance
PS : my old iFive is still running the custom Riley ROM under Kit Kat !

I have read the 18th pages of arc tablet forum. OMA did NOT manage to build a stable build. That's the reason we cannot find files. It is without support and non working. OMA did not own the device so it was rather difficult to debug specific issue, as most people don't know what is a log and how to send it.

- Touchscreen had a strange mapping (inverted input in some cases!)
- Wifi driver was not found as on some models running an unsupported version.
- battery voltage was not readable.

I will try to flash android 10 but I'm expecting to encounter similar issues. Main reason is beacause it is a cheap tablets, some shortcuts have been taken.

Nevertheless, Android 6.0 with root is very well supported thanks to Xposed (not tested on this device yet).
Also there are dev boards with similar specs (no display though) so we can find some kernels on Github...

spiou

Jul 20, 2007
Paris
I have read the 18th pages of arc tablet forum. OMA did NOT manage to build a stable build. That's the reason we cannot find files. It is without support and non working. OMA did not own the device so it was rather difficult to debug specific issue, as most people don't know what is a log and how to send it.

- Touchscreen had a strange mapping (inverted input in some cases!)
- Wifi driver was not found as on some models running an unsupported version.
- battery voltage was not readable.

I will try to flash android 10 but I'm expecting to encounter similar issues. Main reason is beacause it is a cheap tablets, some shortcuts have been taken.

Nevertheless, Android 6.0 with root is very well supported thanks to Xposed (not tested on this device yet).
Also there are dev boards with similar specs (no display though) so we can find some kernels on Github...
Thanks for your response.
Which model do you own ? IFive mini 4 or 4s ?
Have you some links about Android 6.0 ?

Split_X: z

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks for your response.
Which model do you own ? IFive mini 4 or 4s ?
Have you some links about Android 6.0 ?

4s on 1.1.1C
There's a link for some stock roms

- Magisk ZIP install doesn't seem to work.
- So we only have limited CWM (no SDext/ No install) -> that would require to
- SuperSU works fine.
- Only way to flash is to use the Custom crewRKT windows tool. Using .img format flash.png
- some work required to build a custom kernel, without proper drivers that might be difficult

Last edited:

RVA84

Dec 2, 2016
You did not enter the loader mode correctly. You have to plug your device in first, and then pres the power butten and vol- at the same time.

I have done and now it puts "lowerformat device fail"

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

I have repeated the process and it seems that its being updated

Reflexiony

Apr 12, 2017
Hoffe es ist ok das ich auf Deutsch schreibe. ;)

Die Anleitung ist gut, gut verständlich (Vielen Dank dafür !), und cwm und root funktionieren mit dem FNF Ifive Mini 4S problemlos, genau wie das aufspielen der aktuelle Rom 1.0.6.
Leider kommt es zum beenden der google Dienste nach deren Aktualisierung, aber auch nur wenn man explizit die Dienste aktualisiert. Ich weiß nicht ob das mit cwm/root Rechnen zusammenhängt.

Kennt jemand hier das Problem oder kann vlt helfen ?

UnknownDK

Oct 24, 2016
Hjallerup
Hoffe es ist ok das ich auf Deutsch schreibe. ;)

Die Anleitung ist gut, gut verständlich (Vielen Dank dafür !), und cwm und root funktionieren mit dem FNF Ifive Mini 4S problemlos, genau wie das aufspielen der aktuelle Rom 1.0.6.
Leider kommt es zum beenden der google Dienste nach deren Aktualisierung, aber auch nur wenn man explizit die Dienste aktualisiert. Ich weiß nicht ob das mit cwm/root Rechnen zusammenhängt.

Kennt jemand hier das Problem oder kann vlt helfen ?

Meinen Deutche ist nicht sehr gut, aber ich denke das diesen application kanst deinen problem repariert.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.weberdo.apps.serviceinfo

stephendt0

Apr 9, 2012
QLD, Australia
Thanks, this works well. Only problem is that CWM recovery is very limited... no USB storage, no ADB, no external SD card support :( CWM backups work OK though.

TkMelter

Mar 27, 2017
Works!!!

Many thanks!!!

Another tablet updated and rooted.
Great work!!

PD: Waiting for TWRP, it has more tools and tactile does not work for me.

TkMelter

Mar 27, 2017
Sequence

I am trying to upgrade to version 1.0.6 and in factorytool, when I connect the tablet to the pc I get "wait for loader fail" and not updated. What happen??

This is the sequence that works for me:
1 - Press the - volumen
2 - Wait a second
3 - Push the power button
4 - When you see some message in the window application (in the "usb hubs") leave both buttons.

Reactions: UnknownDK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally managed to get a custom recovery and root working on my new FNF Ifive Mini 4s :)

I found This post, that claimed to be a recovery working for all tablets with a rk3288 chipset, so i decided to check it out. I would like to say thanks to Oma7144 for making the post on archtablet.com and another huge thanks to CrewRKTablets who made the tool and recoveries :D

The tool can in theory also install TWRP, which actually also worked for me, but the touch part does not work so it is pretty useless. This is why we are going to use ClockworkMod ;) If anyone figures out how to get TWRP working, please do tell me :D

So first of all you need to download the recovery tool and a supersu of your choosing. Chainfire seemed to be the only thing working, so I am going to use that.
    Chainfire SU
    Recovery tool (New link thanks to k8500)

Now follow these steps:

1. Extract the recovery tool
    2. Enter the RKDriverInstaller folder and run Driverinstall.exe as admin.
    3. Press Uninstall driver
    4. Press Install driver
    5. Enter the RKAndroidTool folder and run AndroidTool.exe as admin.
    6. Turn off your tablet
    7. Enter Loader mode by connecting your tablet to the computer with the included usb cable and pressing Power-button and Vol-.
    8. The AndroidTool should look like this now.
      GGQbphz.png
    9. Check box number 12 as shown here.
      2VHAQ21.png
    10. Press run. Your tablet should reboot now.
    11. Now transfer the Supersu zip file to the tablet.
    12. Turn off the tablet and enter your new recovery by pressing the power button and Vol- button. This time without the powercable in.
    13. Nagivate to install zip with the Vol- and Vol+. Select it by pressing the powerbutton once.
    14. Select Choose zip from /Sdcard
    15. Now find your zip file and select it.
    16. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes.
    17. Now reboot. If CWM asks if it should repair supersu select No.
    18. You should now be rooted.

If you did something wrong and ended up in a bootloop I have written a tutorial on how to fix it. You can find it here.
    Instructions are perfect... thanks a million. Great tablet too.
    Sequence

I am trying to upgrade to version 1.0.6 and in factorytool, when I connect the tablet to the pc I get "wait for loader fail" and not updated. What happen??

This is the sequence that works for me:
    1 - Press the - volumen
    2 - Wait a second
    3 - Push the power button
    4 - When you see some message in the window application (in the "usb hubs") leave both buttons.
    Sucks for you to receive that lemon or so. I got it from Banggood early last week for 155$ CAD. Only the battery seems to be the negative point, about 2.5 to 3 hours of SOT. when i play Clash of Clans and CATS. Maybe i can squeeze more if i only browse the net and youtube without gaming. But i got no problem that you described. maybe you can try to restore back to the lowest firmware... which is 1.04, then upgrade your way to 1.06... instead of doing a restore... just giving an idea.

Yeah, that it is .. a lemon ... btw, I installed 1.0.6 and the device keeps crashing even if I let it lay around! Suddenly the screen lits up and I see the FNF iFive logo and it reboots. Noooo sorry, dear seller, that can't be true ... I opend an RMA with them because I think I have a faulty DRAM module. Keep your fingers crossed that the whole send-it-to-them-repair-get-it-back-from-them does not take months ...

Cheers, DFahren