[Q] Noob needs help installing KatKiss ROM

Search This thread
Jan 24, 2014
Hi there!
I am a super noob in installing custom ROMs and desperately need some help!
I have an Asus Transformer tf101 (duh), I don't have the keyboard dock. I want to install the KKKK ROM, but I have no idea how to. I know I have to wipe, boot rom, flash kernel and reboot, but I really have no idea how to. I do not have an SD card (and I don't think my tablet can take one), but there is a folder on the tablet somewhere called sdcard. So... Can you help me? I have searched through the forums but I am not sure if descriptions for other devices go for mine as well...

Concluding: I have the TF101 without the keyboard dock. It runs stock android (updated as far as I could, just checked it: Android 4.0.3). And I want to run KatKiss' KitKat ROM.

Can you help this noob installing a ROM (and not bricking the device?;))? It would be very much appreciated!

Michelle

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Plug the tablet into the PC > USB
Turn off your tablet
Put the Tablet into APX Mode (Volume Up & Power button)

You won't see anything on the tablet screen, but the PC should recognise it, that is the only indication that you have successfully entered APX Mode

Install APX Drivers

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514942

Run EasyFlasher
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688012

Depending on your tablet serial number you will need either SBK1 or SBK2 selection in EasyFlasher - easiest way to know if if your tablet serial starts with B4O > B6O it's SBK1, anything above that and it's SBK2 (Some B7Os are SBK1 but not many)

You need to select TWRP Recovery from EasyFlasher and flash that first

Once you have successfully flashed TWRP, you can flash any ROM you like from TWRP Recovery by booting into recovery
(Volume Down & Power until white text appears at the top of the screen, then release buttons and press volume up once)

Your TF101 does take Micro SD cards, it's a small slot on the lower right side of the tablet edge

Because you are coming from stock I would at this point suggest wiping everything from TWRP, but as you are not using a Micro SDCard, Im not 100% sure where you could store the ROM before wiping, so...

Copy the ROM & Gapps to your SDCard folder on your TF101 before wiping anything / before booting into recovery

Now boot into recovery and wipe only SYSTEM, CACHE & DALVIK CACHE

Now go to the INSTALL menu and find your KatKiss ROM & Gapps

Flash ROM then Gapps

Now back to the WIPE menu and wipe only CACHE & DALVIK CACHE

Now reboot

You should be booting into Kat Kiss now

My advice: Buy a MicroSD Card to make things much easier and have a way to recover your tablet if you accidentally wipe everything including your Custom ROM zip while you're inside recovery

Jan 24, 2014
Thanks so much!^^ I do have some questions still though.. (so afraid I'll brick the thing)

To install the APX drivers, I first wipe the drivers via device manager, and then install the new drivers via device manager? Which file should I click on? The zipped folder, the unzipped folder, or one of the files? (I use Windows 8.1, don't know if it matters).

I do not need to follow the “instructions for unbricking/flashing ASUS stock firmware”, right?

Depending on your tablet serial number you will need either SBK1 or SBK2 selection in EasyFlasher - easiest way to know if if your tablet serial starts with B4O > B6O it's SBK1, anything above that and it's SBK2 (Some B7Os are SBK1 but not many)
Okay, so my serial number begins with BCO, so I need SBK2, right?

Once you have successfully flashed TWRP, you can flash any ROM you like from TWRP Recovery by booting into recovery
(Volume Down & Power until white text appears at the top of the screen, then release buttons and press volume up once)

Your TF101 does take Micro SD cards, it's a small slot on the lower right side of the tablet edge

Because you are coming from stock I would at this point suggest wiping everything from TWRP, but as you are not using a Micro SDCard, Im not 100% sure where you could store the ROM before wiping, so...

Copy the ROM & Gapps to your SDCard folder on your TF101 before wiping anything / before booting into recovery
Haha, that must have sounded so very dumb. I am so sorry. I use a cover for my tablet and there’s no opening for the SD in that cover, so never noticed it before, haha. Okay I have an Micro SDCard for it. So what exactly should I put on that SD? The KatKiss zips and the .zip.md5? Or the kernels? Or something else entirely? And what are/where can I find the Gapps? Are you talking about the ROM and Gapps already on the tablet or the new ones from KatKiss?

Flash ROM then Gapps

Now reboot

Okay, I think that will speak for itself when I arrive at that point.

Sorry for the million questions. Hope you can help me again! Thank you!!

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Thanks so much!^^ I do have some questions still though.. (so afraid I'll brick the thing)

To install the APX drivers, I first wipe the drivers via device manager, and then install the new drivers via device manager? Which file should I click on? The zipped folder, the unzipped folder, or one of the files? (I use Windows 8.1, don't know if it matters).

When you have the TF connected to the PC USB and enter APX mode, it should show up in Device Manager as ! unknown device or something similar, extract the zip of the Universal drivers and update the ! entry in device manager manually by pointing it to the drivers you extracted earlier - it should install the correct driver for you

I do not need to follow the “instructions for unbricking/flashing ASUS stock firmware”, right?

No, just choose SBK2 and Flash TWRP recovery

Here is EasyFlasher with the latest version of TWRP recovery 2.3.2.3 included, it will save you having to update your TWRP later
http://www.putlocker.com/file/9A166042D0E31CE6

8B9xUca.png

Yes, SBK2

Haha, that must have sounded so very dumb. I am so sorry. I use a cover for my tablet and there’s no opening for the SD in that cover, so never noticed it before, haha. Okay I have an Micro SDCard for it. So what exactly should I put on that SD? The KatKiss zips and the .zip.md5? Or the kernels? Or something else entirely? And what are/where can I find the Gapps? Are you talking about the ROM and Gapps already on the tablet or the new ones from KatKiss?

Great, yes now you can copy the ROM & Gapps zip files to the Micro SD Card, and once you are inside of TWRP recovery you can now wipe SYSTEM, CACHE, DALVIK CACHE, DATA, INTERNAL STORAGE etc etc (Everything apart from External Storage which is your MicroSD Card) if you do not want to keep anything at all on the TF101 and just start a fresh with KatKiss

:)

Last edited:

Dalc

Aug 8, 2011
Hi,

I tried what you say and the ROM flashing failed with this error

Code:
-- Install /sdcard/KatKiss-4.4.2_2018.zip
Findind update package
Installing update
set_perm : some change failed
E:Error in /sdcard/KatKiss-4.4.2_2018.zip
(Status 7)

Could you tell me what this error means ?

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Hi,

I tried what you say and the ROM flashing failed with this error

Code:
-- Install /sdcard/KatKiss-4.4.2_2018.zip
Findind update package
Installing update
set_perm : some change failed
E:Error in /sdcard/KatKiss-4.4.2_2018.zip
(Status 7)
Could you tell me what this error means ?

Don't know where you got that ROM from, but it's not named the same as the actual ROM from the main page

This is the ROM you want
http://downloads.timduru.org/android/tf101/K.A.T/KatKiss/4.4/dev/KatKiss-4.4.2_018.zip

See how yours is called KatKiss-4.4.2_2018.zip

Actual ROM doesn't have that 2
KatKiss-4.4.2_018.zip

Jan 24, 2014
Okay, thanks. So I'm doing this, but can't seem to boot into TWRP... APX, EasyFlash all went great, but when I try to boot into TWRP (Vol Down+Power and when text comes vol up) it just boots into my tablet (you know, asus, android, but no TWRP).
Am I doing something wrong? Or should I press earlier or later on the vol up?

Dalc

Aug 8, 2011
Detection: My bad that was a typo, i actually have downloaded the good version but it seems that the md5 is not correct.
I already wipe the system and havent a microSD card yet. So i can't change the file on the /sdcard. But i have a SD that the dock can read.And also 2 USB. But it is possible to use them in TWRP ? With a mount command or something ? Otherwise i will buy a microSD...

MichelleChristiana92: When the text come up, you have only 5s to press VOL_UP

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Okay, thanks. So I'm doing this, but can't seem to boot into TWRP... APX, EasyFlash all went great, but when I try to boot into TWRP (Vol Down+Power and when text comes vol up) it just boots into my tablet (you know, asus, android, but no TWRP).

You have 5 seconds from the time the white text appears to press Vol Up or it will just boot to the ROM

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Detection: My bad that was a typo, i actually have downloaded the good version but it seems that the md5 is not correct.
I already wipe the system and havent a microSD card yet. So i can't change the file on the /sdcard. But i have a SD that the dock can read.And also 2 USB. But it is possible to use them in TWRP ? With a mount command or something ? Otherwise i will buy a microSD...

You could use ADB in TWRP and push the new ROM to the TF via ADB commands

Put ROM in same folder as adb command is being run from on the PC

So if ROM is on C:\ROM, make sure Command Prompt is like this:

C:\ROM> adb push nameofROM.zip /sdcard/

Hit Enter

That should copy the ROM to the TF internal sdcard

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalc

Dalc

Aug 8, 2011
Thank you for help.
But actually adb does not found my device :/
Is there something to configure ?

Jan 24, 2014
Hmm.. I press the vol up as fast as I can, but every time when I press it it goes to that second text screen with "OS will cold boot to stock linux, you have ten seconds to press vol up or vol down for..." or something like that.. I don't even think I have 5 seconds. When I press it it immediately goes to that second text screen, and then just boots.
Will try again tomorrow, if you know anything please let me know :) (but its probably just me though ;)

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Hmm.. I press the vol up as fast as I can, but every time when I press it it goes to that second text screen with "OS will cold boot to stock linux, you have ten seconds to press vol up or vol down for..." or something like that.. I don't even think I have 5 seconds. When I press it it immediately goes to that second text screen, and then just boots.
Will try again tomorrow, if you know anything please let me know :) (but its probably just me though ;)

Try using EasyFlasher to Root your TF, and then install this App, it will let you press it to reboot into recovery

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.transformer.recovery&hl=en

It sounds like the TWRP install didn't work though, but could be wrong

Also, if you manage to root it, you could flash TWRP using GooManager
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.s0up.goomanager&hl=en

GooManager > 3 dots menu button top right > "Install OpenRecoveryScript"

But you need to be rooted for either of those options to work

Dalc

Aug 8, 2011
As you can see in the attachment below, i already have APX Driver installed.
But abd devices does not recognize my device when i boot my tablet in the APX mod.

When i boot in TWRP, the device appear as USB MTP device but adb still not find it...

Attachments

• device.png
    device.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 26

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
As you can see in the attachment below, i already have APX Driver installed.
But abd devices does not recognize my device when i boot my tablet in the APX mod.

When i boot in TWRP, the device appear as USB MTP device but adb still not find it...

Yea Windows & APX don't play nice together from my experience

Install Ubuntu somewhere and use that instead, I use VMWare, I guess VMPlayer will work too if it can see USB devices, and it's free
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

Or boot your PC on a Live Ubuntu DVD / Flashdrive and do it from that

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2014
Thank you! I am on KitKat now!
I downloaded and installed EasyFlasher again, from a few diffrent sources, and one of them worked and I rebooted into TWRP! Everything went smooth after that and am on KitKat now! :)
Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Michelle

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Thank you! I am on KitKat now!
I downloaded and installed EasyFlasher again, from a few diffrent sources, and one of them worked and I rebooted into TWRP! Everything went smooth after that and am on KitKat now! :)
Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Michelle

Great! :)

Remember to update your TWRP to 2.3.2.3 using Goo Manager from Google Play if it is an older version you managed to flash in the end

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...omanager&hl=en

Open GooManager > 3 dots menu button top right > "Install OpenRecoveryScript"

Dalc

Aug 8, 2011
Hi,

Finally i used a microSD card and its works.

Thank you Detection for your help !

Its really really smooth, pretty impressive for a TF101 :D

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
:good: Pleased you got it working in the end

Yea KatKiss is very smooth indeed, brings new life to our old tablets ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Plug the tablet into the PC > USB
    Turn off your tablet
    Put the Tablet into APX Mode (Volume Up & Power button)

You won't see anything on the tablet screen, but the PC should recognise it, that is the only indication that you have successfully entered APX Mode

Install APX Drivers

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514942

Run EasyFlasher
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688012

Flash ROM then Gapps

Now reboot

My advice: Buy a MicroSD Card to make things much easier and have a way to recover your tablet if you accidentally wipe everything including your Custom ROM zip while you're inside recovery

When you have the TF connected to the PC USB and enter APX mode, it should show up in Device Manager as ! unknown device or something similar, extract the zip of the Universal drivers and update the ! entry in device manager manually by pointing it to the drivers you extracted earlier - it should install the correct driver for you

No, just choose SBK2 and Flash TWRP recovery

Here is EasyFlasher with the latest version of TWRP recovery 2.3.2.3 included, it will save you having to update your TWRP later
    http://www.putlocker.com/file/9A166042D0E31CE6

8B9xUca.png

Yes, SBK2

Great, yes now you can copy the ROM & Gapps zip files to the Micro SD Card, and once you are inside of TWRP recovery you can now wipe SYSTEM, CACHE, DALVIK CACHE, DATA, INTERNAL STORAGE etc etc (Everything apart from External Storage which is your MicroSD Card) if you do not want to keep anything at all on the TF101 and just start a fresh with KatKiss

:)
    Another Guide for you

Hi

Frederuco also did quite a good guide HERE

It might help you too.

You have 5 seconds from the time the white text appears to press Vol Up or it will just boot to the ROM

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

You could use ADB in TWRP and push the new ROM to the TF via ADB commands

Put ROM in same folder as adb command is being run from on the PC

So if ROM is on C:\ROM, make sure Command Prompt is like this:

C:\ROM> adb push nameofROM.zip /sdcard/

Hit Enter

That should copy the ROM to the TF internal sdcard