ROM for Hurricane 5.2.23017 Build 23017

Search This thread

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
The material provided in the unofficial theme. In the case of a failed flash unit, and the topic of the site is not liable! All actions are at your own risk.
I present you the firmware WM 6.5.Standard Build 23 017
Just a flashing 3 languages ​​(0407 (German), 0409 (English), 0419 (Russian)), the default English. And 3 input language.
Screen theme (Sliding Panel & Sliding Panel Media) converted from Rose Sliding Panel's, which made it possible to use HTC Weather.

After the firmware necessary to reboot the device!

Programs: Celetask, CHome configurator, Clock on Top, WM5torage, Registry edit.
Links:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hnd324uanwwz0id
https://rapidshare.com/files/3185754262/6.5.BIN

Calls, SMS sending, SMS takes, SMS as chat, Bluetooth works, in general, everything seems to be working pretty well!

Thanks to all who helped in creating this firmware!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: tobbbie

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I have checked on the package and here are the comments:
  • The backlight/display driver is not acting according to the settings in the control panel. The display does not get off. The light gets off - but not the LCD. You can see that when you put the display in bright light. When making my kitchen for WM6 I have tried out several different drivers all having one or the other problem and finally decided for the one present there. Please re-check your choice in the light of above problem which creates a big battery drain unfortunately.
  • The German language is only fractional available. I think that the packages are missing some .provxml files or that these are not read correctly. You can cross-check needed actions for multi-language in my beginners guide for cooking. Especially tracking down the correct execution of .provxml is tricky. There are some threads at XDA dealing with this. I found finally that using the rapiconfig tool on the connected PC sending the files for execution is giving a fast and reliable method for debugging. Search for "provxml" and "rapiconfig".
    For my kitchen I had added at the end of each .provxml a registry entry to write to HKLM\Platform with the name of the .provxml as an entry. This way you can check if the file was executed in the first place and then further investigate which was not.
  • Finally I have seen that the WM65 allows to have skinned menus which complement the sliding panels appearance. Would be good to see that in the WM6.5 ROM as well.
Good luck with your further cooking!

Oh one last thing: You should change your topic title to include "WM 6.5". Not all know that WINCE 5.2.23017 is one internal version of the WM6.5. I think that WM6.x translates to WINCE 5.2.y before that was WM5 with WINCE 5.1.z.

Reactions: sniper304

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
tobbbie thanks for the posts!In other rom, i want to do all languages good!

Upd.04.09.11
Hmmm... I don't know what with backlight driver!!!I i don't change him!
Nex update will be only with 2 languages (en-ger and eng-rus) because, i don't know how edit mxip_lang.vol!!!

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Have you done anything lately to the ROMs? I finished my Typhoon and Tornado porting to OS Builder, so Hurricane is on the list now to have these old candy-bar phones complete on OSB.
When dumping the ROM with OSB, I noticed that you had used the "merge packages" option when assembling it. This makes it harder to get started, though not impossible as I have the XIP to build my own 6.5 (which I used from the Captain for the Tornado).

Where did you get the base from?
Which kitchen tools have you used?

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
Hi tobbbie!
Ok, i send you archive later.
but there is a problem, display driver(backlight) don't work correctly(i trying 5 or 6 backlight.dll) and if driver saving power correctly, when you receive incoming call, display don't turn on =(
I think best choose for hurricane is 6.1 =)

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
It is strange with the backlight. Usually the OEM parts are those that do NOT change in the porting process and so their behavior should also not when the SYS changes.
Problem with the Hurricane is that many OEM modules do not have a relocation section and so can not be properly relocated by some tools. In the batch kitchen I used, the wmreloc.exe could magically do the job nevertheless, probably by making clever general assumptions on the structure of the modules.

When porting Aleut's WM65 for Typhoon to OS Builder I have identified the modules without relocation section (wmreloc writes a special file to the modules folder for those) and "nailed" them to their current location by adding them to the OSB list of "do not relocate" modules.
To be sure that you start with a working set of modules, it is mandatory to start with a dump of such a working device and not a fresh directory setup - where you would rely on the relocation to properly work for ALL modules.
For Typhoon there were just 5 modules without relocation section because there existed a leaked WM5 "dogfood build" for that device. This had all modules including their relocation section. So just the non-Typhoon (Feeler and Amadeus) specific things (keyboard I remember) needed that special treatment.

For the Hurricane I had counted many more such modules and I am not sure if I will ever get a running OSB setup for this. Last time I tried I could not even get my working WM6 setup rebuilt, so this project may find an early ending.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Good news: I got my WM6 build running and re-built with OS Builder. Took some time to discover that the empty boot.rgu from OEMXipKernel package has left out the Launch20=service.exe from the resulting registry, which made the boot stop at that point.
So nailing the OEMDrivers does work here as well - there is hope for more to come here as well :)

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
Tobbbie, it's fantastic!!!
I use your kitchen to create imgfs.bin, then i use imgfs.bin with program nbwork to create os.nb(with uldr.bin xip.bin imgfs.bin) and then use you program xipbin =)
To port wm standard roms, i also tryed 28004, and once it's work, but there is no different =)

P.S. links add some minutes later, now uploading to mediafire.

Thanks for your work!

link: http://www.mediafire.com/?qu1x574f8u437g0,lb4ha9rm53n9gpu

And i also rying to poted wm pprofessional on hurricane,it start, but work with some lags, and need to rewrite some oem drivers =)

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Why do you need extra tools outside my Hurricane kitchen set? If you put the WM6.5 XIP and Partition framework in the Source folder with the right names then the batch should deliver a ready-made .bin at the and as well.
The easiest way to get back to the one-step batch would be to pick one of your two-step created .nb files, rename it to 82040000-OS.nb and put it to the SOURCE folder.
Batch processing will cut out the pieces and supply the compression for imgfs later - no more two-step.

Last step of the kitchen is basically to joint the new created imgfs with the already ported XIP and ULDR (if present) to a new .nb and then put it to transfer format of the BIN file - transparent blocks with some kB size (not sure if it is64k) and a checksum so that transfer errors can be detected.

Anyway the important part is the creation of the imgfs and especially the correct relocation of modules, something special with the Hurricane and its many modules without reloc section.

You up'ed 2 files, one named "part1.." is there a part 2 also or is this the create_wm6_5?

I guess I will just use the SYS I have for WM61 (from Rose) and WM65 (from Captain) in my Tornado OS Builder kitchen for porting inside OS Builder. This is easier than porting from Batch to OS Builder.

I see no advantage of WM65 over WM61, but all done for the WM61 can be transferred 100% to WM65, so no big deal here. The added functions on WM65 are not worth it:

• some memory and CPU hogging browser ad-on
  • and "widgets" you cannot use on smartphone anyway
  • and a 1MB bigger SYS with otherwise identical packages
  • make not up for the option to be able to skin your menus, they just get bigger and making that finger friendly on smartphone is a joke :)
Sliding panels are in WM61 already (for those who like it) but I have my private homescreen that does all I want on one page and it includes ToDos which the Sliding panels does not.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

And i also rying to poted wm pprofessional on hurricane,it start, but work with some lags, and need to rewrite some oem drivers =)

Why professional - you have touchscreen on Hurricane? Just the 96DPI is nice for more screen estate (smaller top/bottom bars) - but I don't care, really.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

BTW: WM6 Kitchen runs full gear and all options - time to port to WM61 and WM65 :)

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
in part 1 your kitchen with sys 6.5
in create 6.5 nbwork and rom files(uldr.bin xip bin)
I don't like imgfstonb tool =)
Some times i get bad roms, with bugs, but when i used nbwork, all roms work good.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I see no advantage of WM65 over WM61, but all done for the WM61 can be transferred 100% to WM65, so no big deal here. The added functions on WM65 are not worth it:

• some memory and CPU hogging browser ad-on
  • and "widgets" you cannot use on smartphone anyway
  • and a 1MB bigger SYS with otherwise identical packages
  • make not up for the option to be able to skin your menus, they just get bigger and making that finger friendly on smartphone is a joke :)
Sliding panels are in WM61 already (for those who like it) but I have my private homescreen that does all I want on one page and it includes ToDos which the Sliding panels does not.

I found one advantage WM65 over WM61 that maybe useful for some: WMPlayer shows embedded Album Art in WM65 while it does not in WM61. This includes the art display in the sliding panels Media Panel. I use Conduits PocketPlayer for years so never cared about this.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
All OS Builder kitchen run well now (6.0, 6.1-Rose and 6.5-Captain). XIP porting was a little inconsistent across these versions but all startup and reboot without flaws.
Still have to cleanup the package sort order - at least in WM6.5 - and see if A2DP would work well (though it is a CPU hog and I would never recommend it).
Release may happen next weekend -> watch out for a dedicated thread then.

Best with the Hurricane cooking is that you will not have to care about ROM size and balancing with storage space on the device in 1 MB steps like on the Tornado - or be limited to fix size like on the Typhoon. The "l" (load) commend will trigger in the SPL a ROM-size matched formatting of the BINFS (in 64k steps, I guess).

Also "good" is that the device still has a RIL v1, so the Radio ROM is smaller (and less capable) then the Tornado Radio. You will hardly note the difference, however will NITZ (Time setting via GSM Network) not work with this RIL.

Even with 8MB Paging Pool (my default) you have free RAM of ~32MB (Sliding Panels Homescreen) or ~34MB with standard Homescreen. You could make the PP even 10-12 MB here and have the device even more "snappy" with several applications in parallel.

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
tobbbie Thanks for the good work!
I want also clean rom from FWUpdate, because in our phone it's not used, i some time make experiments with some files and when deleted one(i don't remember what file =((( )and it will free about 3 Mb Ram(on startup 35-36MB with sliding panels with weather =)), but i sometimes think, it's unbeliveble, because when i deleted that file, some system pictures don't work(etc. system notification) =(
I think the need to rewrite some system files in order to achieve this = (

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
No wild deletions, please. FWupdate is removed in the OSB kitchen and only one stub is left in WM6.1+ because otherwise the ROM does not work. Also some other packages are made optional (e.g. SQL mobile) - it so easy making something selectable with OSB (drag + drop), really fun to play with.

The OSB framework has sophisticated tools to analyse the dependencies, so a lot of insight to gain there. If you are curious, download my Tornado OSB Kitchen and do some dry-cooking, the Hurricane will be 98% the same. Also visit the main OSB kitchen thread to get the basic documentation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The material provided in the unofficial theme. In the case of a failed flash unit, and the topic of the site is not liable! All actions are at your own risk.
    I present you the firmware WM 6.5.Standard Build 23 017
    Just a flashing 3 languages ​​(0407 (German), 0409 (English), 0419 (Russian)), the default English. And 3 input language.
    Screen theme (Sliding Panel & Sliding Panel Media) converted from Rose Sliding Panel's, which made it possible to use HTC Weather.

After the firmware necessary to reboot the device!

Programs: Celetask, CHome configurator, Clock on Top, WM5torage, Registry edit.
    Links:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hnd324uanwwz0id
    https://rapidshare.com/files/3185754262/6.5.BIN

Calls, SMS sending, SMS takes, SMS as chat, Bluetooth works, in general, everything seems to be working pretty well!

Thanks to all who helped in creating this firmware!
    I have checked on the package and here are the comments:
    • The backlight/display driver is not acting according to the settings in the control panel. The display does not get off. The light gets off - but not the LCD. You can see that when you put the display in bright light. When making my kitchen for WM6 I have tried out several different drivers all having one or the other problem and finally decided for the one present there. Please re-check your choice in the light of above problem which creates a big battery drain unfortunately.
    • The German language is only fractional available. I think that the packages are missing some .provxml files or that these are not read correctly. You can cross-check needed actions for multi-language in my beginners guide for cooking. Especially tracking down the correct execution of .provxml is tricky. There are some threads at XDA dealing with this. I found finally that using the rapiconfig tool on the connected PC sending the files for execution is giving a fast and reliable method for debugging. Search for "provxml" and "rapiconfig".
      For my kitchen I had added at the end of each .provxml a registry entry to write to HKLM\Platform with the name of the .provxml as an entry. This way you can check if the file was executed in the first place and then further investigate which was not.
    • Finally I have seen that the WM65 allows to have skinned menus which complement the sliding panels appearance. Would be good to see that in the WM6.5 ROM as well.
    Good luck with your further cooking!

Oh one last thing: You should change your topic title to include "WM 6.5". Not all know that WINCE 5.2.23017 is one internal version of the WM6.5. I think that WM6.x translates to WINCE 5.2.y before that was WM5 with WINCE 5.1.z.