Get a new Nook Color Stock Charge Cable Free

Search This thread

mtutick

Dec 9, 2010
My cable is frayed at the "n" end, and exposing the internal wires just from normal use. I'm going to call about a new one tomorrow.

busyworked

Jun 2, 2011
Pacific North West
It struck me as the cheap connector; Hard lateral male guide post would of solved potential problems.

I was going to order another charger for on the road anyhow. Think I will wait and see if after market is better. Mine is fine so far. But don't want to run out of juice on the road. I already dedicated a spot just for charging in the studio as the connector is obviously a weak link so care is necessarily.

mjf0000000

May 16, 2011
free replacement cable at the store

I got new cable yesterday just by showing the old one (with the crack by the 'n') to the guy at the local b&n. I hardly got a single sentence out about what I needed, & he picked out a replacement and gave it to me free. I bought the warranty, but he didn't ask my name or check my registration or anything at all. I'm guessing this has been a common problem. You should just go to the store & ask ( if you've got one around).

byronczimmer

Mar 26, 2011
After having two of these break, I have now put a piece of shrink tube around the connector to give it some strength and stability, and have had no issue since doing so.

k8108

Jun 27, 2010
I went into my local B & N today looking for a replacement. Had never seen this thread. They told me to call 1-800-thebook for a replacemment.

So I called when I got home and they are sending me a new data/charging cord - not the whole charger.

My daughter's cord broke also and they are sending her a new one, too.

Zorkman

Aug 31, 2010
shipping to europe

does someone know if they will also be willing to ship to europe?

Sigvard

May 12, 2006
The replacement they sent me a few weeks ago just broke. It's now recognized as a USB charger and it takes my nook significantly longer to charge. Terrible quality for such an important accessory.

Imbroglio

Jun 18, 2011
I just got a NC last week and the first time chargiing it I noticed that the N part of the plug is slightly loose. If it is moved upwards the N momentarily turns green and the NC comes out of sleep mode. It still does charge but I am worried that this will get worse as time goes on.

I am wondering if I should get a replacement cord and if this is a common problem.

levers

Jun 17, 2011
I'm a new NC owner as well - just got a refurb online last week - and I notice when charging the n on my cord never changes to green even when my NC is fully charged. The unit does charge, but the indicator light never turns green.

I'm wondering if either my cord or the power adapter is defective. I don't have a B&N nearby to have it checked. Has anyone else had a similar issue at all?

Imbroglio

Jun 18, 2011
I just tried hooking the NC up to my pc for the first time and if I merely bump the cord or the N plug it causes the NC to drop the usb connection and then reconnect.

Something is definitely wrong with the cord or socket.

I just got done talking to the B&N customer service and they are sending out a new cable. I asked if this does not remedy the problem if I can get a replacement NC at the store I bought it at, they said no, I have to call customer service again. This is starting to get aggravating for a NC that I have had for only 1 week.

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
I just tried hooking the NC up to my pc for the first time and if I merely bump the cord or the N plug it causes the NC to drop the usb connection and then reconnect.

Something is definitely wrong with the cord or socket.

I just got done talking to the B&N customer service and they are sending out a new cable. I asked if this does not remedy the problem if I can get a replacement NC at the store I bought it at, they said no, I have to call customer service again. This is starting to get aggravating for a NC that I have had for only 1 week.

The phone rep may say no, but the stores have to say yes, given that i believe you have a 14 day return policy. Personally, i would not even bother waiting for the cable, and go exchange it for a whole new device right now. if it isn't the cable, you will be stuck dealing with CS; i would bite the bullet, and hedge your bets now. Restore to factory state, and exchange.

Imbroglio

Jun 18, 2011
I took my NC back to B&N last night and they were able to reproduce the problem with one of their cables. You were right about the 14 day return, that is exactly what the manager said when he gave me a new replacement NC. So far so good with this one.

On a side note, when I was waiting in line to talk to the Nook guy after I got there, I overheard him tell a customer that the in store warranty would only cover things they could fix there and anything else would have to be through the B&N customer service. That got me worried when I heard that as it brought back images of past warranty return experiences with other companies of waiting for weeks only to be sent a refurb or worse the same unit back with a note saying "could not replicate problem".

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
I took my NC back to B&N last night and they were able to reproduce the problem with one of their cables. You were right about the 14 day return, that is exactly what the manager said when he gave me a new replacement NC. So far so good with this one.

On a side note, when I was waiting in line to talk to the Nook guy after I got there, I overheard him tell a customer that the in store warranty would only cover things they could fix there and anything else would have to be through the B&N customer service. That got me worried when I heard that as it brought back images of past warranty return experiences with other companies of waiting for weeks only to be sent a refurb or worse the same unit back with a note saying "could not replicate problem".

Excellent.. i am so glad it worked out. :)

Now, if you really want to be honest, you could return the cable coming to you; but personally, i think it is fair compensation for getting a bum unit. ;)

cal3thousand

Feb 10, 2009
Glad I found this post

I've been dealing with a crappy USB cable tip since January and have had numerous times where the thing ended up dead due to not charging.

I just got off the phone with CS and they are sending me a new one within a week.

I'm gonna have to treat this one like newborn.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As many of you'll know by now the Nook Color stock cable tip break easily and a stock replacement is expensive. To top it off its the ONLY cable that will fast charge your Nook Color. Well I have some good news. After writing a bad review of the cable on their website after my second one bent which I had to pay $30 for since the cable wasn't available separately then. I talked to a Barnes and Noble worker and they gave me this number:

1.Call 1-800-The-Book and go digital products from the prompts then Nook Color.

You must have your serial number and the email you registered your Nook with. When you talk to a representative tell them you need a replacement cable for your Nook Color. After you give them your information they will ship you a new one completely free.

2. The fastest way is to go to or call your local Barnes & Noble and tell them you heard that if you bring a broken Nook Color cable in they could replace it for free.

Both methods worked for me but I'm 100% sure method one should work if and when you need a new cable.

Hope this helps everyone.
    Can a moderator please sticky this. A thanks push is appreciated also if the info helped you.
    For those of you on a custom rom and can't find your serial number, its also listed on the microSD slot flap...

Just for future reference though, is there a way to see your NC's serial number in settings on CM7?
    Has anyone outside from US received a free cable?
    Free Cable

Just thought I would share this. The tip broke off my charger cable. Then I read this thread. I took my nook and the broken cable to the local Barnes&Noble store and talked to the nook "girl". I said I heard a rumor that you guys could replace this for me for free. She said I have to check with my manager. She made a phone call and then said. Sure.. no problem and handed me a new one.

She didn't check warranty or serial number or anything.