Need help getting super glue off my phone

Search This thread

JamesR913

Dec 23, 2008
I was doing some stuff around the house and grabbed some super glue to fix one of my son's toys and stuck it in the same pocket I had my phone in, and I am sure you know what happened next, the glue leaked in my pocket. Luckily the phone didn't stick to the pocket and still works fine but now I have residue from the glue on my phone, does anyone know of a way to get super glue off with out damaging the phone? Thanks in advance

Sent from my One X using xda premium

area51avenger

Sep 14, 2012
Toronto
Make sure its off. Carefully dip a cloth in vegetable oil and rub the glue off. Good luck

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

Root-Maniac

Jan 10, 2012
SO. Cali.
The nail polish could eat through the body of the phone... that's the only issue

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
It doesn't eat threw a finger nail, it was designed to melt finger nail glue, aka super glue. Being a mechanic, I have never Seen finger nail polish remover melt plastic, not the plain old formula.. it's what I would do. Actually, now that I think of it, I use fiber nail polish remover, to get the grease off of my phone, I have the white one and being a mechanic, it gets greasy in about the first 10 mins of my work day

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6
It doesn't eat threw a finger nail, it was designed to melt finger nail glue, aka super glue. Being a mechanic, I have never Seen finger nail polish remover melt plastic, not the plain old formula.. it's what I would do. Actually, now that I think of it, I use fiber nail polish remover, to get the grease off of my phone, I have the white one and being a mechanic, it gets greasy in about the first 10 mins of my work day

I guess it depends how the plastic was made, certain plastics do deteriorate when you use nail polish on them. Done it before

I usually use armor all personally to get the gunk off my phone.

But if it works it works!

Reactions: Root-Maniac

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Do not use nailpolish remover. Its active ingredient is acetone, at verying strengths. It will eat through the case of your phone, maybe not completely, but it will ruin the finish most likely.

Idk, try it and see? If you have a white phone that might be different plastic from the grey one.

If you have the box it came in it should say something about how to get it off incase you glue your fingers together.

Sent from my HTC One XL

Last edited:

Root-Maniac

Jan 10, 2012
SO. Cali.
Do not use nailpolish remover. Its active ingredient is acetone, at verying strengths. It will eat through the case of your phone, maybe not completely, but it will ruin the finish most likely.

Idk, try it and see? If you have a white phone that might be different plastic from the grey one.

If you have the box it came in it should say something about how to get it off incase you glue your fingers together.

Sent from my HTC One XL

Notice I said regular, not extra strength, etc.

JamesR913

Dec 23, 2008
I tried the vegetable oil (well actually canola oil) and it did seem to break down the glue a little. I thought about finger nail polish but didn't want to risk it. I also used my new knife which is very sharp to scrape some of it off. Between those two things and zagg wipes it got most of it off. I am sure over time the rest will wear off. Thanks guys

Sent from my One X using xda premium

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Notice I said regular, not extra strength, etc.

Regular is still watered down acetone... It will have the same effect if you hold it there long. The nailpolish remover won't melt through fingernail because your nails are not made out of plastic, not because it's diluted.

If I told you 90% rubbing alcohol melts plastic (usually doesn't), would you try 70%?

Idk, maybe you would. I wouldn't.

Sent from my HTC One XL

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Regular is still watered down acetone.

They do make non-acetone nail polish remover, which usually contains ethyl acetate. But it also doesn't break down super glue very well. At least not for the amount of time I applied it to super glue.

Acetone won't eat the plastic if just exposed for a short time, but might etch or haze the surface, ruining the appearance.

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
I see.. guess I've never bought non-acetone nailpolish before.

I once tried to remove a painted logo from my monitor when I was younger using nailpolish remover and it started eating through the plastic after a short while. That's why I was cautioning against it.

Sent from my HTC One XL

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I see.. guess I've never bought non-acetone nailpolish before.

It just happened to be what my wife had around when I made a super glue mess. And like I said, it didn't really help!

I once tried to remove a painted logo from my monitor when I was younger using nailpolish remover and it started eating through the plastic after a short while. That's why I was cautioning against it.

Probably depends on the type of plastic. Some chemicals will start to etch or melt some types of plastic almost instantly, but no other types of plastics. Nail polish remover comes in plastic bottles, after all!

Of course if you don't know what the result will be, its best to assume the worst.

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Hehe, guess that's true, it does come in a plastic bottle. It would be an interesting experiment for someone who has their hox disasembled to see if nailpolish remover eats the inside of their shell.

Sent from my HTC One XL

Root-Maniac

Jan 10, 2012
SO. Cali.
Hehe, guess that's true, it does come in a plastic bottle. It would be an interesting experiment for someone who has their hox disasembled to see if nailpolish remover eats the inside of their shell.

Sent from my HTC One XL

Lmao, now do you believe me.. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Lmao, now do you believe me.. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

To clairify, no, I still don't. As red said there are different kinds of plastic. The kind I tried actually was eaten by nailpolish remover. The nailpolish remover that does not contain acetone didn't work for red at all.

Sent from my HTC One XL

Root-Maniac

Jan 10, 2012
SO. Cali.
To clairify, no, I still don't. As red said there are different kinds of plastic. The kind I tried actually was eaten by nailpolish remover. The nailpolish remover that does not contain acetone didn't work for red at all.

Sent from my HTC One XL

I would be more worried aabout the super glue melting tthe plastic more then I will the standard finger nail polish remover. Have you ever tried to glue certain kinds of plastic together with super glue? It melts some plastics. Anyways do whatever floats you're boat. Like I said it didn't melt my phone so yea... Lol have a nice day folks!

npropanol

May 19, 2009
FYI - Acetone will dissolve some plastics like polystyrene, polycarbonate, polypropylene. The bottle it comes in is HDPE. AFAIK the body of the One X is polycarbonate.

Reactions: ECEXCURSION

Samhi

Nov 9, 2017
Guys, try Bio Oil. It doesn't break down the glue like acetone, but it seems to soften it and lift it so you can use friction (fingertip) to remove it. Common sense tips - a tiny drop goes a long way and start closer to the centre of the screen if you can.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Make sure its off. Carefully dip a cloth in vegetable oil and rub the glue off. Good luck

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

Wtf? Veggie oil? I doubt that will work, try finger nail polish remover, works great for removing resign from my bong. :beer:

I guess it depends how the plastic was made, certain plastics do deteriorate when you use nail polish on them. Done it before

I usually use armor all personally to get the gunk off my phone.

But if it works it works!

FYI - Acetone will dissolve some plastics like polystyrene, polycarbonate, polypropylene. The bottle it comes in is HDPE. AFAIK the body of the One X is polycarbonate.