GUIDE: Installing a Sense 5 4.2.2 ROM? Here's Some help

Search This thread

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Does HBOOT 2.15 actually exist for an AT&T version of the One X (or One XL if you must) for this to be a problem? I keep seeing the Telstra people with HBOOT 2.15 but where is this coming from? I'm asssuming HTC and AT&T have no plans to give us any future upgrades, but I have already gone to Sense 5 with MagioROM and love it. Always looking to be on the latest firmware however. I just get confused when I keep seeing people mention something I don't know to be in existence..

Yes it exists, whether it's an at&t, Telstra, Rogers etc phone it is compatible, they're all the same phone. You can find it in the OP of Turge's stock ROM thread. It comes with any of the official updates that were released a week ago.

Sent from my Evita

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
Hello, i think i'm in trouble...
I've been using ViperXL for about a year, and it has been great, but recently ran into problems, so i upgraded to 4.10, Android 4.2.2, and sense 5.

I was having exactly the problems this thread was describing, random rebooting, sim card drop and data/phone signal drops.

So, i started following your guide. I downloaded all the necessary files. I currently have hboot 1.09 and twrp 2.6.3.0

So, i am attempting step 1, updating my hboot to 2.14 using this info:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2156686

The first 2 steps went as they should:
fastboot erase cache //optional
fastboot oem rebootRUU //to enter in HTC black screen

My phone went to a black HTC screen. However, now is when i ran into a problem...

When i executed the 3rd command, i got an error. I didn't read it too carefully (i know not very smart) because the thread said there was a good chance at a very similar error, and to just run the command again. So i did. Now it is stuck at "<bootloader> zip info parsing...

My phone is still on the all black HTC screen.

Please help, what do i do?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello, i think i'm in trouble...
I've been using ViperXL for about a year, and it has been great, but recently ran into problems, so i upgraded to 4.10, Android 4.2.2, and sense 5.

I was having exactly the problems this thread was describing, random rebooting, sim card drop and data/phone signal drops.

So, i started following your guide. I downloaded all the necessary files. I currently have hboot 1.09 and twrp 2.6.3.0

So, i am attempting step 1, updating my hboot to 2.14 using this info:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2156686

The first 2 steps went as they should:

My phone went to a black HTC screen. However, now is when i ran into a problem...

When i executed the 3rd command, i got an error. I didn't read it too carefully (i know not very smart) because the thread said there was a good chance at a very similar error, and to just run the command again. So i did. Now it is stuck at "<bootloader> zip info parsing...

My phone is still on the all black HTC screen.

Please help, what do i do?

Changing hboot can be a pretty risky thing to do. You're actually following the wrong method because it isn't just the hboot you're meant to be upgrading, it's the entire firmware that the 2.15 hboot is a part of.

Are you able to post the full command prompt return text?

Sent from my Evita

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
Changing hboot can be a pretty risky thing to do. You're actually following the wrong method because it isn't just the hboot you're meant to be upgrading, it's the entire firmware that the 2.15 hboot is a part of.

Are you able to post the full command prompt return text?

Sent from my Evita

Here is the full thing.

Please note the reason i got an error on c:\214.zip the first few times was the file was 2.14.zip, so i renamed the file

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

Should i try to reboot my phone?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Here is the full thing.

Please note the reason i got an error on c:\214.zip the first few times was the file was 2.14.zip, so i renamed the file

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

Should i try to reboot my phone?

Ok, so you're still stuck at the parsing stage now? What is on the phone screen? Do you have s-off?

Sent from my Evita

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
I'm not really sure if i have S-Off. I bought the phone unlocked, and basically installed TWRP and installed ViperXL and haven't done anything else until my problems this last week.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm not really sure if i have S-Off. I bought the phone unlocked, and basically installed TWRP and installed ViperXL and haven't done anything else until my problems this last week.

It says at the very top of the downgrade/upgrade hboot thread that you must have s-off first. It's in red text, you can't miss it. I have no idea why you'd try this without knowing whether you have s-off or not.

Sent from my Evita

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
Yes, i'm sitting at the parsing stage right now, probably been here just over an hour in this spot, wanted to get some advice before i did anything else.

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

Is it safe to reboot and load hboot and check? Or do i need to do something while i'm still in fastboot?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yes, i'm sitting at the parsing stage right now, probably been here just over an hour in this spot, wanted to get some advice before i did anything else.

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

Is it safe to reboot and load hboot and check? Or do i need to do something while i'm still in fastboot?

To be honest I don't know what you should do, like I said before anything to do with hboot is risky. If you are in fact s-on you've quite possibly just screwed your phone beyond repair. At this point I don't think there's much else you can do.

You can either try rebooting to bootloader, which will tell you instantly whether it's bricked, but then there's no turning back.

Or, you can wait until someone else with more knowledge sees your post and can advise you further. Keeping in mind that it's very early morning in the US right now so you might be waiting a while.

Whichever way this turns out, I really hope this is a learning experience for you. This is a perfect example of why people need to research adequately and actually know what they're doing before they attempt anything. As you now know, the consequences are potentially catastrophic.

Sent from my Evita

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
Yeah, thanks for your help so far, i appreciate it.

I'll wait a little longer until i try rebooting it, if anybody has other ideas for me?

I'm in south africa, so evening is just starting.

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
I opened a new cmd promt and ran the "fastboot devices" command, and it does come back and say, "HT24...rest of serial fastboot"

So at least my phone is responding.

Anyone know if it is safe to reboot and hope i can access the bootloader? Or should i try to put hboot 1.09 back on now?

Last edited:

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
Does anyone know what those first 2 steps:

Exactly did? What cache was erased, will it rebuild itself? What does the fastboot oem rebootRUU command do?

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
Hi,
Sorry, I tried to reply about 4-5 times yesterday, but my internet was too slow and didn’t work

ricky310711 helped me out. Basically this is what we did:
1. Phone was still on black screen with white/green HTC logo
2. Phone wouldn’t respond to most commands
3. Rebooted phone (didn’t know at this point if this would brick phone or not)
4. Went to recovery
5. Verified s-off from facepalm HTC One X S-off thread
6. Updated hboot (this time followed directions correctly)
7. Followed rest of directions from this thread
Now I’m most of the way through my 1st day using the phone, and so far things are working great.

So thanks timmaaa for asking and your help, and thanks ricky as well!!!!

XNine

Dec 28, 2010
Denver
HTC 10
OnePlus 6
Updated the OP just a tad.

Hi,
Sorry, I tried to reply about 4-5 times yesterday, but my internet was too slow and didn’t work

ricky310711 helped me out. Basically this is what we did:
1. Phone was still on black screen with white/green HTC logo
2. Phone wouldn’t respond to most commands
3. Rebooted phone (didn’t know at this point if this would brick phone or not)
4. Went to recovery
5. Verified s-off from facepalm HTC One X S-off thread
6. Updated hboot (this time followed directions correctly)
7. Followed rest of directions from this thread
Now I’m most of the way through my 1st day using the phone, and so far things are working great.

So thanks timmaaa for asking and your help, and thanks ricky as well!!!!

Good to hear that you're up and running. It's not that tough, but you do have to follow directions exactly. I tried to put a lot of info in the guide such as wait times for first boot and what not. Each and every phone is different, so some quirks may be experienced. All in all, glad you're enjoying your phone!

Thanks for the update. I'm really glad you were able to get it working, I hate to see a great phone get bricked.

Sent from my Evita

You're by far the biggest help on the Evita forums! :good:

mondena

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks guys, i've loved my phone the last year, and was not happy about the idea of killing it! So i'm glad it is back up and running!

mrcesarmx

Dec 8, 2011
I tested for two days cleanrom rom and it seems to me that everything is fine exept for the wifi, according to this guide already I did all the steps, but I did not these:

6. Flash BeastMode 2.0 via Recovery and Reboot back into your ROM.
7. Enter Recovery, Flash Beastmode 3.5 and use the Aroma Prompts to tailor your kernel to however you want.

Are they necessary? can I still make them?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, So, I figured I would write this up since I see so many people with the same issues who keep posting. This should help get your Sense 5 4.2.2 based ROM up and working just fine.

Obligatory note: I'm not responsible for any damage, loss of data, bricked phones, burning houses, or outbursts of violence. You follow these instructions at your own risk, despite the fact that I've already done this

I've tried this with Magio, sun_dream's S2 ROM, and Viper.

THIS GUIDE ASSUMES THE FOLLOWING:
    1.You have SUPERCID/UNLOCK/S-OFF
    2. You are using TWRP as your recovery. Do not ask about S-ON or Clockwork Recovery, I don't know and won't answer.
    3. You have an AT&T/ROGERS HTC ONE XL. THIS IS NOT FOR THE INTERNATIONAL VERSION!
    4. You are having issues with Random Reboots, Data/Signal Drops, Wifi Errors, or SIM Card drops.

The Files that you will need:
    1. Pick your Sense 5 ROM from here: http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1541
    2. Download JB_KERNEL_5.08.111.2_Init.d_Support_EVITA_Installe r.zip from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2331373 You can also Download Carl's UrDroid ROM from this link if you are choosing it as the ROM to go with.
    Why do I need this? Because it has several tweaks that allows seamless integration of these ROMs to work on the HTC ONE X. The firmware version will ensure compatibility with our devices. This ALSO FIXES RADIO and SIM DROP/DATA-SIGNAL DROP. So download it.
    3. Download BeastMode 2.0 AND 3.5 from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2165880
    Why Do you need both 2.0 and 3.5? Because some ROMS are not being nice with the Beastmode 3.5 install. You need to flash BeastMode 2.0 FIRST, Reboot, THEN install BeastMode 3.5 For some reason, some ROMs fail at installing 3.5 without 2.0. I don't think it's a Beastmode issue, so don't go complaining to Zarboz or any of the ROM devs, it is what it is and until these ROMs are all similar in their creation and content, this will continue to happen.
    4. Newer HBoot (2.14 or above, note that the new optional firmware will put you at hboot 2.15) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2156686
    5. Latest TWRP http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2423270
    6. OPTIONAL(but recommended) Latest Firmware from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2423735

Now, here comes the magic.
    1. Update your Hboot (I'm using 2.14)
    2. Update TWRP to 2.6 (If you don't, your install may end up screwed, so, please, do it. It's not that hard to update)

FIRMWARE UPDATE:
    OPTIONAL: Installing the Firmware ](Warning: You MUST be S-OFF and Super CID to flash this! Flash at own risk!)
    Reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader if "USB Debugging" is enabled in Android)

Plug in your Phone to the USB cable
    Make sure "Fastboot" changes to "Fastboot USB"
    In ADB/Fastboot, Typye: fastboot devices
    Your Device should be listed. If not, USB debugging is not enabled, your drivers are not installed (or installed correctly), or you need to use another USB port, preferably on your motherboard and using a USB 2.0 Port.
    Run: fastboot oem rebootRUU
    Run: fastboot flash zip <PathToFirmware.zip>
    If the output ends with "FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)", run the previous command AGAIN
    If it ends with "INFO..... OK", reboot to the bootloader: fastboot reboot-bootloader
    Verify everything was successful by running: fastboot getvar all
    Quote:
    (bootloader) version: 0.5
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 1.31a.32.45.16_2
    (bootloader) version-cpld: None
    (bootloader) version-microp: None
    (bootloader) version-main: 5.08.111.2
    (bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
    (bootloader) product: evita
    (bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
    (bootloader) modelid: PJ8310000
    (bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
    (bootloader) battery-status: good
    (bootloader) battery-voltage: 4140mV
    (bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
    (bootloader) security: off
    (bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
    (bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
    (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-de589c6eef
    (bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
    (bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
    Reboot into Android: fastboot reboot or into recovery: fastboot reboot-recovery
    This section is copy pasted from Turges Stock 4.2.2 thread

3. Flash your ROM via Recovery (TWRP), and Be sure to do a Factory Wipe and Dalvick/Cache Wipe prior to Flashign your ROM.
    Reboot.
    Note: These Sense 5 ROMS take FOREVER to boot initially. Let it do its thing. Don't hard reboot during the initial Boot.
    4. Flash JB_KERNEL_5.08.111.2_Init.d_Support_EVITA_Installe r.zip And go through the Aroma Prompts and install everything.
    5. Reboot into the ROM. You may notice your wifi is giving you an Error on certain ROMS. Don't worry, We're gonna fix that right now.
    6. Flash BeastMode 2.0 via Recovery and Reboot back into your ROM.
    7. Enter Recovery, Flash Beastmode 3.5 and use the Aroma Prompts to tailor your kernel to however you want.
    8. Enjoy your new Sense 5 4.2.2 based ROM and all of the benefits it yields!
    9. Elemental X 8.2 is now up and alive. For those of you that like using Elemental, it's now updated.

If this guide helped you, hit the Thanks button.
    Please note: I did not create any of the files I linked to. Those are created by people much smarter and talented than myself. I have linked to THEIR threads, I have not hosted any files for you to use. Please be sure to THANK THE DEVELOPERS THAT ARE TAKING THEIR TIME TO PROVIDE YOU WITH AWESOME ROMs AND KERNELS. IT'S THE VERY LEAST THAT THEY DESERVE!

If you have Questions about a particular ROM or Kernel, please see that ROM's Q&A thread. Always always always follow Developer Requests to NOT Post Q&A in their Development threads if they have asked.
    And some ARE ports from T-Mobile....

I agree with timmaaa, they aren't ports. Its a ROM meant for the EVITA. T-Mobile is just a minor carrier branding. The T-Mobile ROM was used as a base, then customized (in the case of custom ROM like Magio). But that goes for any custom ROM (it has to start off some base). A "port" normally refers to a ROM that is meant for a completely different device (like from the One/M7) and hacked to work on our EVITA.

Some more constructive criticism, it should be mentioned what the 'issues" are (signal drops and random reboots), and that the steps are really not required, unless trying to resolve such issues.
    Just some constructive criticism, none of those ROMs are actually ports, they're official Evita updates. A port is a ROM that's been ported from a different device.

Also, in the "this guide assumes the following" part, point 3, you might want to make that at&t/Rogers One X and HTC One XL, it's more accurate.

Sent from my Evita
    No, that's not a port. Even though it was a T-Mobile update it's still for our device, which is Evita. Like I said before a port is a ROM that was not initially intended for our phone but has been ported to work on our phone. The T-Mobile update is an official HTC release for our phone.

Sent from my Evita
    With the updates could I flash cm10.2 or would i still need to do the ruu for 3.18, just wasn't sure if the firmware for the touch panel was updated with the bootloader update, and thanks for the walkthrough.

At the moment the cm based ROMs are looking for hboot 2.14 to be able install them. So if you update to 2.15 the install will fail. You still need to RUU up to 3.18 RUU (2.14) hboot and leave it there if you want to run a cm based ROM.

Sent from my Evita