FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] Encryption Unsuccessful - Reset Android [ICS Issue]

46 posts
Thanks Meter: 50

By cgugino, Member on 15th January 2012, 05:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Note: This guide is geared toward the Samsung Captivate. If you have a different device, try your device's forum, or search this thread.

Are you using ICS and pulled your phone out of your pocket only to find that it had this screen, saying "Encryption unsuccessful" and your only option a button that said "Reset Phone"? Don't press it! Try rebooting a few times with your external sdcard out first. Sometimes that will fix the issue. If not, take a deep breath and follow the guide below to get your phone usable again:

Too late? Already hit the button? Then you know this screen:

Here's the bad news:

Your partitions for /data and /sdcard are no longer accessible. Latest news points to a bug in the firmware for the memory card in your phone. ICS uses a new function that doesn't work correctly with the affected phones.

Good news:
I found a *workaround* to get my phone to at least work again. Note: You will need to perform steps 9-11 every time you flash a ROM or ROM update, because flashing overwrites the vold.fstab file.

Here were my steps to get your phone working again:
  1. Realize that you may have just lost whatever was on your sdcard and it's your own fault. For me, this was acceptance that *I* installed ICS on my phone and now CWM backups, photos, and more were gone. Once your realization has set in, move forward.
  2. Acquire an micro SD card that you will put into your phone. This will contain your new /data partition as well as your new /sdcard partition. I recommend at least 8GB. If you already have a card, backup whatever is currently on your micro SD card - you *WILL LOSE* everything on this card in the next few steps.
  3. Boot into clockwork mod, using either 'adb reboot recovery', or some other combination of buttons.
  4. Partition your mircosd card through CWM. This will be 'advanced' then 'Partition SD Card'. The first size you choose will be the size of your /data partition. I have a 16GB card and chose 2GB for /data. This will leave me with (16GB-2GB) 14GB for /sdcard. You can choose a different size if you like, depending on how big you want your internal data partition to be. Choose 0M for swap. This process will take a few minutes, so keep waiting, you impatient jerk.
  5. Download the latest build of ICS for your phone and put it on your micro SD card. (You can mount it to your computer at this point in CWM with 'mounts and storage' 'Mount USB storage')
  6. Create a full backup. Just in case. Put it on a computer, dropbox, whatever. Your phone isn't a safe place for backups.
  7. Wipe user data, cache, & system. Now install the ICS package you just put on your card and reboot.
  8. The first boot will take a while, as all first boots do, but after a while you should be back in ICS. Exhale (If you're not exhaling at this point, post something in this thread and I or someone else will help get you running)
  9. Check Settings > Storage and see if your new /sdcard partition (For me it was about 14GB) shows up as 'USB Storage' or 'SD Card' If it's USB storage, then your micro sd mounted to /sdcard successfully and you're done. You should be able to take a picture and have it save. If not...
  10. Edit etc/vold.fstab with whatever you use personally (root explorer for me) and swap paths for /emmc and /sdcard (the part that starts with /devices/platform...). Someone more intelligent than me can probably make this a CWM zip. This step is telling ICS to swap your /sdcard (broken internal sdcard) and your /emmc (working external sdcard). It will probably look like this when you're done:

Code:
    # internal sdcard that is no longer working
    dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0

# external sdcard
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
  11. Reboot with your new vold.fstab and check your storage amount in ICS and test your camera (easy test to see if Android can write to the sdcard). Hopefully now this is working for you.

Let me know if you have any questions or (hopefully not) problems!

Notes for myself and devs:
ICS is a lot pickier about mounting filesystems, and if it can't mount /data correctly, it assumes it is encrypted. It really isn't, firing off https://source.android.com/tech/encr...mentation.html an misleading encryption message.

In ICS and in CWM, when I look at /dev/block/platform/ I only see s3c-sdhci.2 and s5pc110-onenand. The s3c-sdhci.0 block is missing completely. I'm not sure how to even touch the /data or /sdcard filesystem at *ALL*

Oh well.
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to cgugino For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgugino Ad-Free

22nd January 2012, 07:04 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
the camera does not work. The main memory is corrupt.
Using 8gb memory card. Do you have any suggestions for the camera?
The Following User Says Thank You to edecan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift edecan Ad-Free
22nd January 2012, 07:11 PM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 2,940

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edecan

#1 dont quote a post that is un-related (especially huge 1st posts)
#2 dont ask unrelated questions in a thread
#3 dont ask questions PERIOD in development threads.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRusselo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TRusselo Ad-Free
22nd January 2012, 07:20 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:

This is happening because your phone is still trying to use your internal sdcard, but it isn't accessible. You will need to trick your phone to use the external sdcard as if it was the internal.

You will need ADB working and your phone in USB Debugging mode (Options>Development) for this part:

Code:
adb pull /system/etc/vold.fstab
This will put your vold.fstab file in the directory you have command prompt running. Open this file and swap the references of 'mmc2' with 'mmc0' and 's3c-sdhci.2' with 's3c-sdhci.0'. It should look something like the example in step 10 of post #1 when you're done. Save and close the file.

Now use these commands:
Code:
adb remount
adb push vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab
if you get permission denied error when doing adb remount then try the following instead :

Code:
adb push vold.fstab /emmc/vold.fstab
adb shell
su
mount -o remount rw /system
cp /emmc/vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab
chmod 644 /system/etc/vold.fstab
mount -o remount ro /system
exit
exit
adb reboot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgugino For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgugino Ad-Free
22nd January 2012, 07:23 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRusselo

#1 dont quote a post that is un-related (especially huge 1st posts)
#2 dont ask unrelated questions in a thread
#3 dont ask questions PERIOD in development threads.

Actually, the question he asked is extremely relevant to my post, specifically step 9. I agree with you #1, though.
22nd January 2012, 08:32 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgugino

This is happening because your phone is still trying to use your internal sdcard, but it isn't accessible. You will need to trick your phone to use the external sdcard as if it was the internal.

You will need ADB working and your phone in USB Debugging mode (Options>Development) for this part:

Code:
adb pull /system/etc/vold.fstab
This will put your vold.fstab file in the directory you have command prompt running. Open this file and swap the references of 'mmc2' with 'mmc0' and 's3c-sdhci.2' with 's3c-sdhci.0'. It should look something like the example in step 10 of post #1 when you're done. Save and close the file.

Now use these commands:
Code:
adb remount
adb push vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab
if you get permission denied error when doing adb remount then try the following instead :

Code:
adb push vold.fstab /emmc/vold.fstab
adb shell
su
mount -o remount rw /system
cp /emmc/vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab
mount -o remount ro /system
exit
exit
adb reboot

Thank you! Everything is working now thank you.
ICS currently using 4.0.3 version of the Onecosmic's ROM version 2.1.
I want to use version 3.1 or CM9 KANG, this time when the boot screen remains. Have his solution
25th January 2012, 08:44 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
when i follow the steps to pull the file through adb, i get "remote object '/system/etc/void.fstab' does not exist"

phone boots, but when changing via root explorer, the files revert back when I reboot
25th January 2012, 09:42 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhee07

when i follow the steps to pull the file through adb, i get "remote object '/system/etc/void.fstab' does not exist"

phone boots, but when changing via root explorer, the files revert back when I reboot

Make sure you're using vold and not void, as in VOLume Daemon.
OR
Make sure you're remounting the file system with Root Explorer (press the button to change R/O to R/W)
26th January 2012, 03:36 PM |#9  

More
roms kernel glitch does not work.
Boot screen does not turn on the device remains.
26th January 2012, 04:25 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:

roms kernel glitch does not work.
Boot screen does not turn on the device remains.

What ROM are you on?

Did you flash a ROM update? If so, this overwrites the vold.fstab and you'll have to fix it. If you're on CM9, try reinstalling the latest update package, then perform steps 9 and on from the first post.
26th January 2012, 06:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
cgugino: i tried again via root explorer(both of the things I did wrong, you called out perfectly, thanks for keeping me in check!), but now the phone wont leave boot animation. I guess I'll flash again, and try to edit the document on my computer via adb
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
captivate, encryption, galaxy s, ics

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)