By designgears, Inactive Recognized Developer on 21st July 2010, 10:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th August 2010, 10:33 PM |#471  
Flag Holly Springs, NC
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSilva

Okay, I think I really bricked this phone.

History:
~~~~~
I was using JH2, flashed to JM3 (i9000) + i897 kernel and it was working just fine until I decided to try "modaco's JP3" because of the "unrestricted bootloader" but I didn't like it then I flashed JH3... I flashed it and before the AT&T world phone screen now I see the GT-i9000 screen as well but I was able to boot normally.

When things went bad:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I decided to update my kernel to the 1.2oc version so typed "adb reboot download <enter>" but forgot to open odin first... I just ignored and opened odin.
Odin started but would not go past "flashing zImage" or something like that and there was no blue bar on my download screen.
In a very dumb moment I decided to pull the battery and do the proper way: "odin THEN download mode"
I was used to get the phone - ! - computer screen then download mode but this time I'm stuck on that screen. It flashes 2 times but no download mode.

Conclusion:
~~~~~~~
My guess is the i9000 rom changed the sequence to enter the download mode and due to the lack of a d-pad I will never be able to get it. I will need to get a new phone...

I think you are still in good shape. The i9000 rom or kernel, which ever one I don't know, changes the download mode key sequence. I found that pressing the down volume button only and then powering on is it's sequence.
In your case, I would pull the battery, plug in the USB cable, hold the down volume button and then put the battery back in, or some variation of that.

Hope that works for you.

26th August 2010, 10:36 PM |#472  
Flag Holly Springs, NC
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFJASON1

I have spent years flashing windows mobile and more recently blackberry ROM and have been lurking in XDA for a long time. I have read and searched through the forum before finally posting my problem and question. I am trying to flash from the stock ROM to one of the newer beta ROM's.

When I open the Odin EXE on my windows 7 computer the top half of the program in nothing but blank fields. I read posts that say to insert different files in different fields. But I do not have this option. I have tried running as an administrator, and in XP compatibility mode. When I connect my phone the program does recognize it on the USB com port.

Thanks in advanced.

Yeah, that is probably the One-Click version. Does it say Start and Master Clear at the bottom? If so, that is pre-packaged to flash you back to stock. You want the stand alone Odin 3 to flash individual packages. When you have that, on the right you will see buttons for PDA, CSC, PIT, etc, that is where you click and choose the file you want to flash.
26th August 2010, 11:50 PM |#473  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylx

Yeah, that is probably the One-Click version. Does it say Start and Master Clear at the bottom? If so, that is pre-packaged to flash you back to stock. You want the stand alone Odin 3 to flash individual packages. When you have that, on the right you will see buttons for PDA, CSC, PIT, etc, that is where you click and choose the file you want to flash.

Thank you sir. I was in fact using the one-click version apparently. I made an assumption that the links for Odin were the same on this thread as well as the ROM thread. I have found the correct download for the stand alone version. Now off to flash!
27th August 2010, 04:12 AM |#474  
Thanks Meter: 159

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylx

I think you are still in good shape. The i9000 rom or kernel, which ever one I don't know, changes the download mode key sequence. I found that pressing the down volume button only and then powering on is it's sequence.
In your case, I would pull the battery, plug in the USB cable, hold the down volume button and then put the battery back in, or some variation of that.

Hope that works for you.

Yes! My phone is back! The key sequence was: VOL UP + PWR then after the first blink VOL DOWN and there you go: Download Mode
28th August 2010, 12:10 AM |#475  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
pllllllllllleassee helpppp !!! I had put the phone in Download , started Odin One click all ok , then the phone got black screen and the coputer disconected the usb, on odin said in green restart or something. i took cable out and since then the phone is only AT&T flashing , if i insert cable it stops and does nothing please helppppppppppppppp i had it only for a day ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( i am going crazy if it's broken for goodddd

i read it alll so MY PHONE IS PRETTY MUCH DONE !!! It's Galaxy S and i see that GOD hates me... i see that others here did the stupid thing of instaling this on Galaxy S , i don;t know if i can change it at guaranty... AT&T in Europe i don't think so... so i probably lost 400 euro for a stupid thing, THE USB is ded so i can't get in the phone so i will start to cry now, if there is a solution please help...
28th August 2010, 02:29 AM |#476  
Flag Davis, CA

More
I figure I'd add my experience...

I was having problems with Odin stalling at "DO NOT TURN OFF DEVICE!!" or "File analysis"

What solved it was having one-click Odin open BEFORE plugging in my Captivate (in download mode)
28th August 2010, 04:20 AM |#477  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mate

pllllllllllleassee helpppp !!! I had put the phone in Download , started Odin One click all ok , then the phone got black screen and the coputer disconected the usb, on odin said in green restart or something. i took cable out and since then the phone is only AT&T flashing , if i insert cable it stops and does nothing please helppppppppppppppp i had it only for a day ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( i am going crazy if it's broken for goodddd

i read it alll so MY PHONE IS PRETTY MUCH DONE !!! It's Galaxy S and i see that GOD hates me... i see that others here did the stupid thing of instaling this on Galaxy S , i don;t know if i can change it at guaranty... AT&T in Europe i don't think so... so i probably lost 400 euro for a stupid thing, THE USB is ded so i can't get in the phone so i will start to cry now, if there is a solution please help...

I hate to say it but I think you've done the one thing that can actually brick these phone's...Maybe you can check on the Galaxy forums to see if anyone has been able to recover from this mistake..good luck..
28th August 2010, 04:58 AM |#478  
Flag Cedar Park, TX
Thanks Meter: 906

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhernand1102

I hate to say it but I think you've done the one thing that can actually brick these phone's...Maybe you can check on the Galaxy forums to see if anyone has been able to recover from this mistake..good luck..

+1

That's why you should learn to read the forums. If, as a captivate user, I browse the i9000 forum, I don't touch anything I'm not certain I can recover from. If you weren't sure about what model phone you had or what forum you were in, then this would probably have happened sooner or later.

This is also a terrible downfall of these various one click tools. People just don't double (and triple check) to make sure what they're doing. Unfortunately for you, the other poster is right and you now have a very expensive, plastic paperweight

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i897
28th August 2010, 06:34 AM |#479  

More
Thanks you so much! I was having problem of Download mode on but ODIn not doing anything...I just closed ODin and followed the instructions from Naplesbill

They are on page 11 of this thread ..I copying them over for you guys

For anyone who is on the fence about doing this, don't be scared.

I simply followed the directions from where you turn the phone off, start the update program on the PC, plug in the usb cable, press both volume up and down together, while holding press power and and hold all three buttons until the screen goes off twice, release power but keep holding both volume keys until the download screen appears.

From here the update program showed com4 connected with id4 and I clicked start. It only took a few minutes and the phone is now back to stock. The program will announce when it is complete and there is a box on the screen that will say reset. This is your indication that it has completed successfully. It did do an update on first boot and once it rebooted I now have a stock phone without root.

I did not use master clear, just clicked on start.
28th August 2010, 07:31 AM |#480  

More
Sorry to throw out an often asked total n00b question, but i wasn't sure where to post it, and even though I know i've read it, I can't find it.

I've got odin (not the one click) i've got the jh3 tar.. my question is.. what do i do from here. With the pit, and the pda, phone, csc, etc? Thanks, I've never used odin before, and its looking kind of scary compared to rooting my phone.

---edit
Do i need a pit file? I don't have one..
28th August 2010, 09:40 AM |#481  

More
so there is no way of repairing the phone? i will let the battery go so i can go to the service and the phone not to start charge anything, maybe i will get it changed...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)