Screen scratch

Search This thread

Hammer_drum

Jan 21, 2013
I have a scratched screen - it's not large but one of those ones that is completely noticeable as the light reflects off it.

All I've done is put it in and out of my pockets and I don't have anything else in them!

I've read on here in the past that gorilla glass should not scratch unless you really go at it.

Has anyone successfully had a scratch/screen repaired under the warranty for something like this?

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Doubtful a warranty repair would take place with a scratch on the screen . It is deemed user wear and tear.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

G

GuestK00445

I think it's sand. My previous iPhone got lots of fine scratches on its Gorilla Glass 2 too. :/

Sand is one of the hardest substances. Just below diamond iirc.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
If 2 is true, I don't know how are you going to fit whole new glass on, which is, from what I've seen on youtube, x100 times more difficult especially if you use liquid glass underneath. Without liquid glass you may have issues.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
2 reasons:

1st - I'm yet to find one that I don't know is "there"

2nd - Every time I've tried to apply one, I can never get it totally dust or bubble free.

Exploring getting some new glass and fitting myself.

I just use the cheap ass one's 3 for £5 in the local market, A couple I've had some bubbles in but this last one I have now, I managed to get it completely bubble free.... Trick is scrape out the bubbles as you press it on

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I have a scratched screen - it's not large but one of those ones that is completely noticeable as the light reflects off it.

All I've done is put it in and out of my pockets and I don't have anything else in them!

I've read on here in the past that gorilla glass should not scratch unless you really go at it.

That kind of stuff is why most people that know better and really want to avoid scratches (and potentially also lower the risk of shattering after a sudden shock) use a screen-protector. (mine is a very inexpensive one, my main requirement was to be easy to apply without dust or bubbles).

Has anyone successfully had a scratch/screen repaired under the warranty for something like this?

I always have a completely empty pocket dedicated to my phone - front right pocket. However I have a miniscule scratch, which I believe was due to a coin in the same pocket which was only there for a few minutes. Gorilla glass Shmagilla glass - seems like it isn't as strong as it should be...

Sent from my Galaxy Note III; Previous owner/hacker of Galaxy S III, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X, HTC HD2, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Tilt, HTC 8525, O2 XDA II, O2 XDA.

MaTiCeK-

Apr 23, 2010
I found that the best way to cover up scratches is to apply a screen protector. The trick to applying a screen protector bubble and dust free is water.

1. Clean your phone's screen, to really catch all the dust use some kind of ducktape/sellotape - magic tape works best as it doesn't leave any residue on the glass. Do this immediately before applying the protector.

2. Now wash your hands and keep your fingers moist, so that any accidental touching of the sticky side of the screen protector won't leave any finger prints.

3. Get a water spray and water the sticky side of the protector, alternatively put the sticky side under the tap.

4. Aim and apply the screen protector. Because the sticky side is wet, you can take it off and reapply if you've messed it up. A pro tip: If you messed up your screen protector, you can try washing it gently with transparent liquid soap.

5. Push the water bubbles out with a credit card wraped in a linen cloth.

6. Once you've removed all the water bubbles it can take around a day for the screen protector to fully adhere to the screen.

7. Congrats!

Reactions: missmawarlina

XiphoneUzer

Nov 30, 2013
2 reasons:

1st - I'm yet to find one that I don't know is "there"

2nd - Every time I've tried to apply one, I can never get it totally dust or bubble free.

Exploring getting some new glass and fitting myself.

Fitting it yourself? U cant even put a screen protector on, and your going to perform a repair on your $750 device?
It's too late to tell you to bring it in to your carrier and let them apply your screen protector for free. Next time perhaps.

Hammer_drum

Jan 21, 2013
No would have sufficed as an answer to the original question, but thanks for your patronising responses.

hypnodaz

Jan 19, 2014
Fit your screen protector in a warm steamy bathroom! The steam grabs all the dust out of the air...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found that the best way to cover up scratches is to apply a screen protector. The trick to applying a screen protector bubble and dust free is water.

1. Clean your phone's screen, to really catch all the dust use some kind of ducktape/sellotape - magic tape works best as it doesn't leave any residue on the glass. Do this immediately before applying the protector.

2. Now wash your hands and keep your fingers moist, so that any accidental touching of the sticky side of the screen protector won't leave any finger prints.

3. Get a water spray and water the sticky side of the protector, alternatively put the sticky side under the tap.

4. Aim and apply the screen protector. Because the sticky side is wet, you can take it off and reapply if you've messed it up. A pro tip: If you messed up your screen protector, you can try washing it gently with transparent liquid soap.

5. Push the water bubbles out with a credit card wraped in a linen cloth.

6. Once you've removed all the water bubbles it can take around a day for the screen protector to fully adhere to the screen.

7. Congrats!