[Q] Logitech Harmony remote compatibility

Search This thread

Rugged96

May 26, 2010
Nashville
I am successfully using FLIRC to control XBMC but when I'm in the FTV side of the house the back and home buttons do not work. How do I get this to work? Any ideas?

cb00

Nov 2, 2010
The Harmony Smart Hub with basic remote works with FireTv with very little effort. Just need to add the FireTV as a device and then pair the remote using bluetooth.

eskay993

Jun 11, 2014
Indeed, it's now officially supported by Harmony and works very well (just as fast and responsive as the fire remote). And for extra awesomeness you can combine with FLIRC and map the remaining buttons to other stuff.

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
I am successfully using FLIRC to control XBMC but when I'm in the FTV side of the house the back and home buttons do not work. How do I get this to work? Any ideas?

You need to manually program from the Command Line some keys in Flirc. I have a Harmony ONE not the Ultimate discussed above. it works fine. I got menu, return/Back, and home by reading here:

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/1116-using-flirc-with-amazon-firetv/page-2

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/1112-flirc-harmony-fire-tv/?hl=firetv#entry7030

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/605-harmony-remotes/

A bit of work but my ONE controlled my whole system which took awhile to pull off. PLUS, the Ultimate is/was $300.

Hill16

Jun 26, 2014
Indeed, it's now officially supported by Harmony and works very well (just as fast and responsive as the fire remote). And for extra awesomeness you can combine with FLIRC and map the remaining buttons to other stuff.

Hi - can the Harmony get the Fire TV to shut down? Or how can it get over the problem of the Fire TV only shuts down after 30 minutes. I've only had the Harmony a few days but still have issues switching inputs and back again as the Fire TV is still on.

I must look into the FLIRC option too but ideally would like the Harmony to do everything

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
Hi - can the Harmony get the Fire TV to shut down? Or how can it get over the problem of the Fire TV only shuts down after 30 minutes. I've only had the Harmony a few days but still have issues switching inputs and back again as the Fire TV is still on.

I must look into the FLIRC option too but ideally would like the Harmony to do everything

You need Flirc as AFTV cannot handle IR commands from the Harmony. The AFTV remote is RF. Flirc receives UR commands an injects them as keystrokes via the AFTV USB port.

Reactions: Hill16

eskay993

Jun 11, 2014
@ schneid
Good point. I was talking specifically about the Harmony Ultimate being compatible (no need for FLIRC for basic navigation). If you have a ONE then it sounds like you will need FLIRC..

@ Hill16
I'm not sure I fully understand that issue you're having, but either way, there is no shutdown option for the Fire TV that I am aware of, short of unplugging it :p. The closest thing is putting it to sleep, but to achieve that, there needs to be a built in AFTV remote function for it (for example, force restart is done by holding Play and OK button together for 5 seconds). If there was such a function, then you could map that to the Harmony remote, but I don't believe there is.

I know that if you have a standard keyboard plugged into the AFTV that has a Sleep/Shutdown button (like many Logitech keyboard), then that works and puts it to sleep. There may be some way to map that to a Harmony remote button using FLIRC, but I have no experience with this. Check the links posted above or maybe search/ask on the FLIRC forums.

Of course you can always do it the long way. From the main menu, go to Settings > Systems > Sleep.

Reactions: Hill16

shaxs

Aug 16, 2010
You need Flirc as AFTV cannot handle IR commands from the Harmony. The AFTV remote is RF. Flirc receives UR commands an injects them as keystrokes via the AFTV USB port.

Isnt IR line of site? Will I need a usb extender if I use Flirc as the usb port is in the back?

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
Isnt IR line of site? Will I need a usb extender if I use Flirc as the usb port is in the back?

It does not have to be line of sight but it cannot be blocked meaning can be bounced like a pool ball. My stuff is in a cabinett so I have an IR repeater system. I also use a powered four port USB hub to allow a KB and USB stick. I was using an un-powered hub w/o problem but needed a power source for my Chromecast.

mad212

Oct 15, 2008
Phoenix
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm looking to buy a new universal remote. Was looking at the Logitech Harmony Smart Control. Does anyone have any feedback on using one with the fire tv? It is Bluetooth so seems like it should work well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jmerrilljr2

Jul 13, 2014
I'm looking to buy a new universal remote. Was looking at the Logitech Harmony Smart Control. Does anyone have any feedback on using one with the fire tv? It is Bluetooth so seems like it should work well.

Smart Control is the best -- Harmony has a device profile for the AFTV. No lag at all.

Reactions: mad212

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anyone know if the Kindle Fire TV is compatible with any of the Harmony remotes?

You would need to add and IR Reciever like a FLIRC or there are reports of this item working as well.

I can't post links, so search amazon for Ortek-Windows-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate

@ schneid
    Good point. I was talking specifically about the Harmony Ultimate being compatible (no need for FLIRC for basic navigation). If you have a ONE then it sounds like you will need FLIRC..

@ Hill16
    I'm not sure I fully understand that issue you're having, but either way, there is no shutdown option for the Fire TV that I am aware of, short of unplugging it :p. The closest thing is putting it to sleep, but to achieve that, there needs to be a built in AFTV remote function for it (for example, force restart is done by holding Play and OK button together for 5 seconds). If there was such a function, then you could map that to the Harmony remote, but I don't believe there is.

I know that if you have a standard keyboard plugged into the AFTV that has a Sleep/Shutdown button (like many Logitech keyboard), then that works and puts it to sleep. There may be some way to map that to a Harmony remote button using FLIRC, but I have no experience with this. Check the links posted above or maybe search/ask on the FLIRC forums.

Of course you can always do it the long way. From the main menu, go to Settings > Systems > Sleep.

Smart Control is the best -- Harmony has a device profile for the AFTV. No lag at all.