Samsung Galaxy K Zoom review for S4 Zoom users

Search This thread

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
As an ex S4 Zoom owner, I now have the K Zoom, and at the moment there is no dedicated thread. I've written quite a bit about the K Zoom since I've got it on Saturday.

Link to review and my 7 part S4 review http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/?s=Samsung+K+Zoom+review

Part 3 of the K Zoom is up tomorrow. If you click on any part of the review you will also see a link to the expanding K Zoom flickr set. Part 3 is a big part with camera specifics.

If you any questions I will answer them here.

The only bit I miss on the K Zoom from the S4 Zoom is the tripod mount is missing on the K Zoom. Otherwise , the K Zoom is better in every way.

Anyway, fire away any questions.

Ramsey

May 23, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
As an ex S4 Zoom owner, I now have the K Zoom, and at the moment there is no dedicated thread. I've written quite a bit about the K Zoom since I've got it on Saturday.

Link to review and my 7 part S4 review http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/?s=Samsung+K+Zoom+review

Part 3 of the K Zoom is up tomorrow. If you click on any part of the review you will also see a link to the expanding K Zoom flickr set. Part 3 is a big part with camera specifics.

The only bit I miss on the K Zoom from the S4 Zoom is the tripod mount is missing on the K Zoom. Otherwise , the K Zoom is better in every way.

Thanks for taking the time to review and posting the link here! Appreciate it.

Can you keep us updated on if dust reaches the lens below the protective glass?

Ramsey

May 23, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Will do. I'm waiting for my free case from Samsung. This has a lens cover too, that automatically pops off when lens opens.
That's pretty cool.

I read your review and I agree with you. I prefer having 1080p res and a thin profile on my smartphone. After using the S4 and HTC One now I'll stick to the HTC One (terrible camera but great speakers and body), gave my wife the S4 Zoom since she doesn't mind. I'm glad the K Zoom is thinner but it seems it has some of the same issues that the S4 Zoom has also, and it also has bad sound quality.. It shows that Samsung did not work too hard on this other than the body (which looks really good) and adding the same TW software that the S5 has.

Last edited:

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
That's pretty cool.

I read your review and I agree with you. I prefer having 1080p res and a thin profile on my smartphone. After using the S4 and HTC One now I'll stick to the HTC One (terrible camera but great speakers and body), gave my wife the S4 Zoom since she doesn't mind. I'm glad the K Zoom is thinner but it seems it has some of the same issues that the S4 Zoom has also, and it also has bad sound quality.. It shows that Samsung did not work too hard on this other than the body (which looks really good) and adding the same TW software that the S5 has.

Sound quality isn't bad. It's just not as good as the HTC One M8 for example.

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
My review (as posted on Galaxy Camera Section)

So, I got the Galaxy K Zoom on launch day and my first impressions are WOW! It has far exceeded my expectations in many ways.

The build quality is really good, it feels solid and it looks really nice (I have the black one). I thought the screen might be sub standard being only 720p but it really is sharp and bright and although super AMOLED the colours are not saturated at all. They have got the balance right in my opinion and the size is right too. It doesn't feel particularly bulky or heavy and the casing is grippy.

I didn't have a lot of time but I did a quick comparison test with photographs taken from it in the same spot with my Galaxy S4 Zoom and the Galaxy Camera. I have to say the shots on the K Zoom at 10x optical were on a par with the Galaxy Camera and better than the S4 Zoom. I also tried 20x zoom that's 10 optical +10x digital and the results were far better than I expected, actually they were great. Low light level shots came out better than the Galaxy Camera as did the video recording.

There are tons of scene modes and not forgetting the excellent AF/AE mode – This lets you choose separate parts of the picture to act as exposure metering and focus points. The only thing missing oddly enough is the tilt shift (or selective focus) as seen on the S5, I am not sure why that wasn't included. I also thought there was mean't to be an LED flash in addition to the Xenon, for video use but that's missing and there's no notification LED. But no great loss.

But overall, it a massive improvement over the S4 Zoom and it's definitely good enough to replace my Galaxy Camera. It's pocketable, has full mobile phone function, better screen, battery life, interface and Android Kit-Kat on board. Missing only a tripod mount (I bought a smartphone tripod mount accessory to solve this) and that extra 10x zoom if we're talking Galaxy Camera comparison.

I have only been using it for a day but I am bowled over. I have no regrets replacing the Galaxy Camera with this baby.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

I tried to leave a comment on your review on your blog, but it just boots me off. So I cut and paste it here:

Whilst this is an excellent in depth review, and I love the sample pics you have posted by the way! I thought I would add my findings. As I have also included a mini review above obviously I have a K Zoom and I have not experienced any crashes at all. Maybe you have a memory card issue? Also I didn't think the sound was bad at all. It's subjective granted but I have heard much worse. "Story Album" works perfect for me too, so I am wondering if you have some 3rd party app conflict. I also have no reception problems.

My biggest criticism of your review is I don't think it's fair to compare it to an S5 or HTC One M8. The K Zoom isn't a flagship top end device like the S5. So the missing features you complain of are a cost cutter and as long as the camera side performs well (which it does) then I am happy I bought it for that reason. At £360 (pre order cost) I think it's an absolute bargain. You're not going to get an S5 with an optical zoom camera for that price.

Last edited:

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
So, I got the Galaxy K Zoom on launch day and my first impressions are WOW! It has far exceeded my expectations in many ways.

The build quality is really good, it feels solid and it looks really nice (I have the black one). I thought the screen might be sub standard being only 720p but it really is sharp and bright and although super AMOLED the colours are not saturated at all. They have got the balance right in my opinion and the size is right too. It doesn't feel particularly bulky or heavy and the casing is grippy.

I didn't have a lot of time but I did a quick comparison test with photographs taken from it in the same spot with my Galaxy S4 Zoom and the Galaxy Camera. I have to say the shots on the K Zoom at 10x optical were on a par with the Galaxy Camera and better than the S4 Zoom. I also tried 20x zoom that's 10 optical +10x digital and the results were far better than I expected, actually they were great. Low light level shots came out better than the Galaxy Camera as did the video recording.

There are tons of scene modes and not forgetting the excellent AF/AE mode – This lets you choose separate parts of the picture to act as exposure metering and focus points. The only thing missing oddly enough is the tilt shift (or selective focus) as seen on the S5, I am not sure why that wasn't included. I also thought there was mean't to be an LED flash in addition to the Xenon, for video use but that's missing and there's no notification LED. But no great loss.

But overall, it a massive improvement over the S4 Zoom and it's definitely good enough to replace my Galaxy Camera. It's pocketable, has full mobile phone function, better screen, battery life, interface and Android Kit-Kat on board. Missing only a tripod mount (I bought a smartphone tripod mount accessory to solve this) and that extra 10x zoom if we're talking Galaxy Camera comparison.

I have only been using it for a day but I am bowled over. I have no regrets replacing the Galaxy Camera with this baby.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

I tried to leave a comment on your review on your blog, but it just boots me off. So I cut and paste it here:

Whilst this is an excellent in depth review, and I love the sample pics you have posted by the way! I thought I would add my findings. As I have also included a mini review above obviously I have a K Zoom and I have not experienced any crashes at all. Maybe you have a memory card issue? Also I didn't think the sound was bad at all. It's subjective granted but I have heard much worse. "Story Album" works perfect for me too, so I am wondering if you have some 3rd party app conflict. I also have no reception problems.

My biggest criticism of your review is I don't think it's fair to compare it to an S5 or HTC One M8. The K Zoom isn't a flagship top end device like the S5. So the missing features you complain of are a cost cutter and as long as the camera side performs well (which it does) then I am happy I bought it for that reason. At £360 (pre order cost) I think it's an absolute bargain. You're not going to get an S5 with an optical zoom camera for that price.

No idea why it did that.

Back for a day out. Took 700 photos. Battery down to 10% so used ultra power saving mode. Very impressed today.

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com

[/COLOR]

My biggest criticism of your review is I don't think it's fair to compare it to an S5 or HTC One M8. The K Zoom isn't a flagship top end device like the S5. So the missing features you complain of are a cost cutter and as long as the camera side performs well (which it does) then I am happy I bought it for that reason. At £360 (pre order cost) I think it's an absolute bargain. You're not going to get an S5 with an optical zoom camera for that price.[/QUOTE]

I didn't reply to this part yesterday. Was busy sorting through 700 photos :D. I like you mini review too.

I assume you've read the other parts of the review as they got published daily. Also my flickr account photo set is getting bigger as we speak.

The reason I compared the K Zoom with the S5 was not to knock it but to give people who are used to that sort of phone an idea of the differences and then it leaves them seeing whether it matters or not. Personally, the only things I miss with my S5 is the notification led , waterproofing, and the screen. Obviously the S5 costs £200 more, but I thought it showed that in reality the K Zoom has all the essentials and more.

In fact in use I don't know of any camera let alone phone that can take over 700 photos in one day and still have battery remaining. Awesome.

Kroy73

Apr 22, 2013
York
When I pre ordered via the Samsung estore in the UK, part of that offer was a free case. It comes about a week after the phone.

I've ordered from there and my order is still in 'processing'!
How did you manage to receive it before now, was I part of a 2nd wave of despatches.....?!
I bought it May 26th, they took my money on the 28th.

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
How did you manage to receive it before now, was I part of a 2nd wave of despatches.....?!

I have not received the free case yet. It's due any day. The phone I got already. I ordered on 22nd. I suggest speaking to Samsung as I don't have the answers :(

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3

I ordered mine on the 26th too (experience store Westfield London) and received it on launch day (30th) so not sure why yours is delayed they told me there was plenty of stock. Unless you ordered a blue one which are due mid June. Still waiting for the case to arrive though.

Sent from my SM-C115 using Tapatalk

Kroy73

Apr 22, 2013
York
I ordered mine on the 26th too (experience store Westfield London) and received it on launch day (30th) so not sure why yours is delayed they told me there was plenty of stock. Unless you ordered a blue one which are due mid June. Still waiting for the case to arrive though.
Sent from my SM-C115 using Tapatalk
Cheers, well done - that's the answer, I chose a blue one!
Didn't realise they had to send the phone to Mars for some young martians in a sweat shop to paint it blue with their special hair covered index fingers.....!

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Cheers, well done - that's the answer, I chose a blue one!
Didn't realise they had to send the phone to Mars for some young martians in a sweat shop to paint it blue with their special hair covered index fingers.....!

Ha! I was also in the process of ordering a blue one until I realised it had a delayed launch and I just wasn't patient enough to wait 2 more weeks! Having said that, the black one looks fantastic, I'm very pleased with my choice.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
I agree black IMO is the best colour for this phone. I have the S5 too, which should be sold today. I chose white for this as this was the best colour for it. Black looked too boring on it.

But black on the K Zoom is awesome.

In case anyone wants a direct link to my growing K Zoom flickr set https://www.flickr.com/photos/gavinfabl100/sets/72157644532639249/

Don't forget my blog has had daily review updates on the K Zoom.

Can't believe what Samsung have managed to achieve with this phone. So good.

pakisan

Jan 30, 2012
A question who did you Zoom K: is it possible to get the new photo works on S4 Zoom? Even the apk extracting the camera.

Inviato dal mio GT-N5110 utilizzando Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts