[Q] Custom Rom for Flipside??

Search This thread

garduno.cris

Dec 31, 2010
Is there a custom rom out there somewhere for the Motorola Flipside? I have the phone and I hate motorola blur, Is there something like AOSP. Something simple and fast?

ErebusRaze

Oct 5, 2008
Brooklyn, New York
I don't think anyone has cooked up a custom ROM for the Flipside. The phone's not really supported and known by most people. Everything is for higher end Android phones.

I have ADW EX on my Captivate over a ROM, and put it on my girlfriends Flipside. It's definitely a step up because of the animations, themes and options with the launcher. Honestly... Motoblur is hideous.

Reactions: garduno.cris

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
The Flipside runs pretty well if your root it and remove the AT&T stuff. I use LauncherPro as my home app.

Edit: don't add your social networks as Blur accounts. Use the Android FB widget and other apps to access that info.

Last edited:

bakageta

Jan 19, 2010
+1 for ADW Launcher, between that and removing most of the motoblur / AT&T stuff with Titanium Backup the interface gets much better. I'm sad that I'm still stuck with the motoblur contacts/dialer, but at least I was able to use the modded messaging app from Cyanogen 5.

bakageta

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion, that's almost exactly what I was looking for.

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
I wanted to install a custom rom for my sisters flipside, cause she was impressed with the way my G1 looked.

It's not a terrible phone, so long as I can remove all the AT&T crap.

SErooted

Nov 10, 2010
Sugarhouse, UT
Ok everyone. beings that there is not a custom rom for the flipside yet. what say you about looking at some roms from the backflip and seeing if therre is a way to port them through to the flipside?

As the flipside i have in my hands is kinda a loner from my niece as i am trying to hook it up fpor her the best i can. there really is not alot of options out there for this.

As i run an xperia x10 this is just something to play with for me a few days a week if that.

but am willing to work on some roms if someone can point me in the right direction of what i might need to modify.

SErooted

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
Ok everyone. beings that there is not a custom rom for the flipside yet. what say you about looking at some roms from the backflip and seeing if therre is a way to port them through to the flipside?

As the flipside i have in my hands is kinda a loner from my niece as i am trying to hook it up fpor her the best i can. there really is not alot of options out there for this.

As i run an xperia x10 this is just something to play with for me a few days a week if that.

but am willing to work on some roms if someone can point me in the right direction of what i might need to modify.

SErooted
If you're really determined, you can visit Cyanogen's forum, and I'm sure people there will direct you.

The only really big downside to the Flipside is its screen resolution. Otherwise, it's a pretty up to date photo.

coreeyll

May 21, 2011
help please =D

Sooo i have a motorla flipside, its i decent phone i think. But as you all said i dont like the ATT interface and whatnot.. so how do i go about removing the ATT crap and replacing it with a new launcher or whatever? And what launcher should i use? I also want to be sure that i cant somehow ruin my phone lol
if you can help thank you!

JBallin4life27

Sep 4, 2010
There are a few ppl working on custom Flipside ROMs...one PM'd me in a modmymobile forum and said he'd have at least a recovery done by yesterday...i'm guessing something set him back but something will be coming soon!

JBallin4life27

Sep 4, 2010
So I asked the guy doing work on the Flipside recovery and this is what he said:

The flipout recovery apk looks like it may work as is from the flipout forum, but may only backup/restore/ system folder using an older cwm recovery, so you have an existing backup option i think..

I'm trying to dice it up w more specific files, updated recovery w the ability to mount/unmount all the partitions for full backups and wipes of personal data from the recovery.. maybe a day or 2?

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Vahnyyz

has there been a follow-up on what's being done? I've been seeing different things for example:

"How to Root, Uninstall Bloatware, and de-activate moto-blur for Motorola Flipside"

It seems pretty legit but the guy says that some programs end up not working, I don't really know how to directlink the site but thats the title exactly without the quotation marks, and i keep seeing things about clockworkmod being made for the flipside but its a ROM manager that doesn't seem to find "my device".

Anyway, thats what i've seen so far, and I know it takes a while to get a response but I feel that the flipside is a pretty nice phone, it would be great if I could do more with it, as i'm sure most of us feel that way :)

XOpaRAdiGm

Mar 27, 2010
Oxford
has there been a follow-up on what's being done? I've been seeing different things for example:

"How to Root, Uninstall Bloatware, and de-activate moto-blur for Motorola Flipside"

It seems pretty legit but the guy says that some programs end up not working, I don't really know how to directlink the site but thats the title exactly without the quotation marks, and i keep seeing things about clockworkmod being made for the flipside but its a ROM manager that doesn't seem to find "my device".

Anyway, thats what i've seen so far, and I know it takes a while to get a response but I feel that the flipside is a pretty nice phone, it would be great if I could do more with it, as i'm sure most of us feel that way :)

If you're talking about [http]androidforums[com]/flipside-all-things-root/345440-how-root-uninstall-bloatware-de-activate-moto-blur-motorola-flipside.html

then that site seems to be providing good information. i DEFINITELY would flash a recovery rom (such as polovinomozka's, his code seems to be pretty solid, although i have yet to test it. i do not have a flipside yet) and then perform a nandroid backup BEFORE doing any removal, just in case of irreparable damage :) i also would not recommend even trying to remove anything blur related as it will definitely make your phone unstable seeing how the whole system is based on blur. You can remove the ATT apps, but blur has to stay until there is a custom rom made without the blur built into it.

Hope this proves to be of some use to someone.

JBallin4life27

Sep 4, 2010
Last I've heard from one of the guys working on stuff is this:

yeah, i'm gonna see bout compiling from source the recovery apk that dexter derived his flipout recovery from and modify the hijack binary to work w the flipside (its only a couple small partition setting changes). if it works out, the cwm recovery should work flawlessly w /system /data /cache and /sd partitions, we're just locked down on the boot and recovery. (the ones we're using are fake or bootstrapped recoveries, not actually replacing the stock one)

thebluetoothkid

Feb 10, 2008
If they're working a release of froyo for the Flipside, I'd be more then happy to make a donation for the cause. Love the phone, but I'm dieing for 2.2.

JBallin4life27

Sep 4, 2010
So check this out...I messaged the guy at modmymobile and asked how things were going becuase I heard people were having problems getting an updated CMW and this is his response:

"been sittin on the updated cwm recovery binaries and been draggin my feet/takin a break the past week or 2. i'll throw something out soon, but cant commit to a timeframe, sorry."

Looks like things are on the up and up...stay patient everyone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Flipside runs pretty well if your root it and remove the AT&T stuff. I use LauncherPro as my home app.

Edit: don't add your social networks as Blur accounts. Use the Android FB widget and other apps to access that info.
    I don't think anyone has cooked up a custom ROM for the Flipside. The phone's not really supported and known by most people. Everything is for higher end Android phones.

I have ADW EX on my Captivate over a ROM, and put it on my girlfriends Flipside. It's definitely a step up because of the animations, themes and options with the launcher. Honestly... Motoblur is hideous.
    +1 for ADW Launcher, between that and removing most of the motoblur / AT&T stuff with Titanium Backup the interface gets much better. I'm sad that I'm still stuck with the motoblur contacts/dialer, but at least I was able to use the modded messaging app from Cyanogen 5.

Try Dialer One. Very nice free dialer.
    Check over at modmymobile there is a thread I made to start one for flipside, kinda works related to the cynogenmod.