[KERNEL][DEV] ICS CAF Kernel 3.0.x

Search This thread

arunmcops

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 20, 2010
Bareilly
OnePlus 6
Xiaomi Poco F3
Yeah compile from CM sources instead. To compile from raw CAF sources you need to make massive changes everywhere. And also if you look at the error log, you're trying to compile for msm7627, when our platform is msm7x30. But that's the least of the problem.

I know your platform is msm7x30. But mine is msm7627a. I am able to find only a handful of threads related to CAF sources thats why I asked the question here. Plz suggest a solution if u can ....

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
I know your platform is msm7x30. But mine is msm7627a. I am able to find only a handful of threads related to CAF sources thats why I asked the question here. Plz suggest a solution if u can ....
Ok, but my advice still stands. :) It's simply way too much work adjusting the CAF source to build, and I don't know anyone who's succeeded in that.

c0dac0da

Jun 29, 2010
Pune
here are the bigmem variants

ics: http://www.mediafire.com/?w6rqkv181c463m2

jb- http://www.mediafire.com/?8hxqg9o03ssm5qk

it has 399 mbs of ram. sacrificed only 720p video recording,rest all should work fine. before flashing the kernel,open camera and switch to video mode,then select the 480p mode. (it is necessary so that you can shoot 480p after flashing the kernel)

there might be sods because of extreme pmem values. it's just a test since many people wanted to test this out. multi-tasking is really good.

instructions:

reboot to recovery
flash kernel
wipe cache and dalvik
fix permissions
reboot
hit thanks :p

it's ok. :)
i really had only today to spend time on android,i'm really busy with my studies,so don't know when i'll post next,but fixing usb issue is real easy. only problem is my lack of time. hope i can be understood. i'm signig off now. goodnight all. :)

cheers
doom

Thnx Doom .. superb kernel ...... just hope u fix OC

Doomsday94

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2012
On ICS Version and AOSP 4.0.4 taking pictures work but if you try to switch ti video the app fc's :/

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

you had to switch to 480p video recording before flashing the kernel (already mentioned that in my post) . i can confirm that camera and video recording 480p works fine in the ics version. you will need to play vids through mx player (hw decoding mode works fine)

Works video to you;
Because to me does not record at all (neither to 480p). :(

yep,anuseb89 sent me a pm with that error,i will try to fix that when i get some free time.

kouros17

Dec 24, 2011
Athens
you had to switch to 480p video recording before flashing the kernel (already mentioned that in my post) . i can confirm that camera and video recording 480p works fine in the ics version. you will need to play vids through mx player (hw decoding mode works fine)

Video recording doesn't work at all to me (neither at 480p).
Photo camera is okay (cm10 alpha 7).

Last edited:

EternalFame

Jan 11, 2011
AW: [KERNEL][DEV] ICS CAF Kernel 3.0.x

i had my first SoD using doomsdays bigmem ics version using ondemand. noop. 1.2 GHz :/

EB20XY

Jan 22, 2012
would be great to get any 3.x kernel (e.g. 3.0.61)
running properly (with usb functions and deepsleep) for ICS (CM9 RC3 from arco) on i9001.

Last edited:

EternalFame

Jan 11, 2011
AW: [KERNEL][DEV] ICS CAF Kernel 3.0.x

would be great to get any 3.x kernel (e.g. 3.0.61)
running properly (with usb functions and deepsleep) for ICS (CM9 RC3 from arco) on i9001.

the one from doomsday works great! except the 720p video (;

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359895218805.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359895218805.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 358

Doomsday94

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2012
here is a new kernel,with overclockable upto 1824 mhz. (i took the oc table from diablo,so kudos to him. :) )

only for ics (for jellybean,there is jaggy and cast's kernel)

http://www.mediafire.com/?p1dznfgtqqoqnth

i added interactiveX,its my favourite governor.
increased pmem a bit,now memory available is 395 mbs. (sods should not happen anymore)

instructions are similar like before. DON'T FOGET TO CHANGE THE VIDEO RECORDING MODE TO 480p BEFORE FLASHING THE KERNEL.

about the usb mounting,i had cleared the cm9 sources long ago,so i'm currently doing some cleanup and then will pull the cm9 sources,will build cm9 in the next 2-3 days, and then provide the kernel. although i highly doubt the kernel made for cm9 with kernel 3.0 will result in working usb for cm9 with 2.6 kernel. will see what i can do. till then mount through recovery and enjoy cm9 rc3 with this kernel.

p.s: ivendor's github is on fire! again! :p

cheers
doom

Xistance

Dec 20, 2011
here is a new kernel,with overclockable upto 1824 mhz. (i took the oc table from diablo,so kudos to him. :) )

only for ics (for jellybean,there is jaggy and cast's kernel)

http://www.mediafire.com/?p1dznfgtqqoqnth

i added interactiveX,its my favourite governor.
increased pmem a bit,now memory available is 395 mbs. (sods should not happen anymore)

instructions are similar like before. DON'T FOGET TO CHANGE THE VIDEO RECORDING MODE TO 480p BEFORE FLASHING THE KERNEL.

about the usb mounting,i had cleared the cm9 sources long ago,so i'm currently doing some cleanup and then will pull the cm9 sources,will build cm9 in the next 2-3 days, and then provide the kernel. although i highly doubt the kernel made for cm9 with kernel 3.0 will result in working usb for cm9 with 2.6 kernel. will see what i can do. till then mount through recovery and enjoy cm9 rc3 with this kernel.

p.s: ivendor's github is on fire! again! :p

cheers
doom

About USB mounting, since the MTP device in 2.6 kernel is non-existant in 3.0 we have to use the correct one. In 3.0 kernel we don't use Samsung's USB drivers. So we have to make the system use the correct and default device, which is /dev/mtp_usb. Oh and yes to people that are wondering. The whole ROM needs to be built again for USB mounting to work.

Thanks to arco for clearing this up.

Rhonin86

Nov 17, 2011
Hagen
ZTE Axon 10 Pro
Samsung Galaxy A54 5G
Dooms kernel 3.0.61 Big mem

just want to share my experiences with you,

i have tested both variants of the above mentioned kernels - with/without OC and they both seemed to work pretty good. But i can't confirm a big performance boost. Maybe it depends additionally on the used rom - in my case RealROM V6 based on arcos release (don't know which bases)

Though i encountered some weired effects:

After installing the newest kernel - i tried to access WLan and succeeded, but there appears no wlan-icon in the status bar ? Maybe the next report resulted from the app nofrills - but it told me after starting that min frequency was 124 MHz and max frequency 245 MHz ? strange :confused:
On my way home i rebooted the phone due to the above described problem and couldn't enter the pin-screen for the sim-card and the phone didn't get any connection to my provider whether 2g or 3g.

But i must admit that i haven't fixed permission after flashing the kernel only wipde Cache / Dalvik Cache so maybe this is the cause....

Cheers

Rhonin

Thx Doom for compiling an ICS Variant of the newest 3 - kernel... :good:

Edit:

I 've tested it again, now with fixing permission. But after a while the system starts lagging heavily after waking up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doomsday94

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the thread for the kernel i've developed with arco. He has ported the CAF MSM kernel 3.0.x (branch ics-chocolate) for Samsung Galaxy W, i've ported the ariesve devices and board to his kernel. The aim is to have a single kernel for Galaxy S Plus (ariesve board), Galaxy W (ancora board) and Exhibit 2 4G (ancora_tmo board).
    Arco started his porting from CAF MSM kernel so we can keep our kernel updated with CAF releases more easily, starting from jellybean and all project butter stuffs (hardware vsync,etc...).
    But first all we must make this kernel complete. So i report the toolchain i'm using, and the current todo/bug list.

Toolchain: GCC 4.6 from jellybean CM10 (however you could use gcc 4.4 from CM9 flawlessly)

Working List:
    -3G & Calls
    -Audio
    -Battery
    -Touchscreen
    -Touch keypad
    -Wifi
    -Bluetooth
    -Accelerometer
    -Light sensor
    -Proximity Sensor
    -Orientation Sensor
    -Digital Compass
    -Vibration
    -GPS
    -Display

Partially Working:
    -USB**
    - Camera (work completely only the front camera, the back camera work only preview and 480p video)

*The display is working except for offline charging animation and startup static bootlogo
    ** For USB i must test mass storage and mtp mode recompiling the ROM with new device files and sysfs parameters, so i must test it!

You can submit your patches/enanchment to my Github

I've already submitted on github the changes i've made to device configurations files for CM9, so you could start from there.

Of course, this thread is for developer only atm, it's not complete for normal usage.

A little personal note: without the wonderful work done by arco, I would have never thought that i could succeed in this initial porting (I probably would never have started this whole thing).

Screenshot:
    screenshot2012101520515.png
    Updates:

I've pushed fixes for camera in ics-3.0 branch, and i'm pushing the new jb-3.0-pmem branch. It's so-called because i've reverted the initial support of arco for ION allocator, in order to have camera proper working with old PMEM allocator.
    Is the msm-CodeAurora tree not usable for our i9001 ?

This is already a CAF (Code Aurora Forum)-derived kernel, for the moment i'll try to fix the ics_chocolate branch, when finished we can switch to other branches (jb_mr1_chocolate for example) and so on...

However BIG update, Camera is now partially working:

- Front camera is completely working (video and snapshot)
    - Back camera is working partially (no snapshot, no 720p video)

I'm backporting the old camera drivers to the new kernel, the job is almost completed.
    Little update, i've updated the VOIP Patches with lastest fixes backported from kernel 2.6.35 and i've pushed the fix for clock errors in dmesg.
    I'm working on the camera...
    Update: i've committed some changes from arco with fixes for display and some changes made by me that fixes orientation sensor (digital compass applications should be working now).