[Q] FLAC files disappearing from SD Card?

Search This thread

zimmertr

Jul 19, 2013
Hi guys I just purchased the Samsung 64gb micro sd card and I'm having some issues.

I just copied over ~45 gb of FLAC music to the sd card using two different methods. 1) Taking the sd card out and using a sd to usb adapter and 2) plugging the phone into my computer via usb.

Both times all of the files copied over without any error or interruptions and after I put the sd card in my phone and booted it up I can't detect any of the files from Shuffle or ES File Explorer

So I plugged the sd card back into my computer and both times all of the folders are empty and none of the FLAC files are present. I ran diskcheck on the sd card and it said it fixed all of the errors but all of the FLAC files are still missing... Now I just have a folder called FOUND.000 on the root with a bunch of .chk files in it that are about the size of an album of FLAC music (~300mb)

What is going on...?

zimmertr

Jul 19, 2013
Did you by any chance get an error when copying the files over ? Such as a semaphore error? Were you using Windows to copy files or teracopy?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

I used Windows Explorer to copy the files over. It looks like I have either a counterfeit or defective card. I ran SD Insight and H2testw on it and both returned obviously suspicious results.

sdinsight:

Manufacturer: Invalid (0x00)
OEM/Application ID: Unknown
Product Name:
Product Revision: 0.0
Serial #: 0xbd0c
Manufacture Date: Jan 2014
CRC7: OK
Size: 67GB
SD Card Specification: SD Physical Layer Version 2.00
CPRM Security Support: No Securit

H2testw:

Warning: Only 63907 of 63998 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
3.5 GByte OK (7486168 sectors)
58.8 GByte DATA LOST (123395368 sectors)
Details:41.5 MByte overwritten (85104 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
58.7 GByte corrupted (123310264 sectors)
60 KByte aliased memory (120 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000000c65db000
Expected: 0x00000000c65db000
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 3.80 MByte/s
Reading speed: 6.64 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

zimmertr

Jul 19, 2013
Here is a copy of the email I sent the eBay user:

I have reason to believe the Samsung 64gb micro sd card that you sold me is counterfeit.

I first had a hunch this item was counterfeit when I copied 45gb of data to the card two separate times just to have it all erased/corrupted immediately after putting it in my phone.

After this happened, I decided to download an Android app called sd insight to see if the card was fake or not. These are the results I received from running the app: http://pastebin.com/RfG0JREq

As you can see in that log file, the manufacturer, product name, revision number, etc are all null. This led me to believe that the card you sold me was certainly counterfeit. If this was a legitimate card the entries would have reported things such as SAMSUNG and MB-MGCGB/AM. (The supposed make and model of this sd card) Additionally, there would be at least 1 revision to this card to counter the data corruption issues that was occurring to S3 and S4 smart phones in 2013 since it was manufactured (supposedly) in January of 2014.

In order to be sure for certain before I contacted you with this claim, I used a program called H2testw. H2testw is a program that writes data files to your sd card and reads them off until every sector has been tested. If corruption occurs you have an sd card error. Additionally, you can see the actual size of the sd card and many other cool things. Here is the log file that the program returned to me: http://pastebin.com/X8e0R6TM

As you can see, this card is actually only 3.5GB instead of 62.4 like reported by Windows Explorer. This leads me to believe this card has been hacked to report the incorrect capacity size. 58.8GB of data was lost because it was written to sectors which actually don't exist... This is proven by the hex address given by the location of the first error.

As you can see, it expects to encounter 0x00000000c65db000 but instead encounters 0x0000000000000000 when trying to copy data to that specific location. This is because that location doesn't exist....

Finally, you can see that the writing speed is only 3.8mb/s instead of 7mb/s and the reading speed is only 6.64mb/s instead of 24mb/s. This is another clear sign of a fraudulent item.

You sold me a class 4 3.5GB sd card in disguise of a class 10 64gb sd card. I would like for this item to be replaced with a legitimate Samsung 64gb class 10 micro sd card at no extra expense to me. This includes reimbursing my return shipping fees if you desire the item to be returned to you before continuing.