FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY] [AT&T, TELUS, Bell, Rogers] Modified 3e recovery with adb root

3,317 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,560

By Da_G, Inactive Senior Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus on 19th February 2012, 01:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

It's not CWM, but this is the stock 3e recovery + adb root access, allowing you to use adb to back up other partitions, restore, etc. etc.

Flash the pda-recovery-root.tar with Odin using the same instructions as for the Root kernel.

If someone who has not yet rooted could flash this and do the following from adb in recovery after:

Code:
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/tmp/stock-kernel.img
adb pull /tmp/stock-kernel.img
adb shell rm /tmp/stock-kernel.img
then upload stock-kernel.img that would be good for making a return-to-stock odin image
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Da_G Ad-Free

19th February 2012, 01:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Keep up with the awesome work brotha.
19th February 2012, 01:34 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 849

More
You're a maniac!!

<insert witty signature here>
19th February 2012, 01:55 AM |#4  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 147

More
I wake up to this! Nice! I cant wait for proper CWM.
19th February 2012, 02:06 AM |#5  
Flag Greensboro
Thanks Meter: 181

More
Tomorrow will be a great day as I'm holding mine

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
19th February 2012, 03:27 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
telus galaxy note
hi, i tried to back up the kernel for the canadian telus galaxy note with the adb root you have there but when i use adb to run the commands i get an error message saying permission denied. does it work with the canadian version?
19th February 2012, 03:37 AM |#7  
OP Inactive Senior Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Flag Riverside, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,560

Donate to Me
More
Hi, I haven't tested with anything other than the AT&T GNote. Do you get the # root prompt in adb? You likely wouldn't even have adb without the mod working, what error do you get for what command exactly?
19th February 2012, 03:42 AM |#8  

More
when i run

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/tmp/stock-kernel.img

i get

/dev/block/mmcblk0p8: cannot open for read: Permission denied

then again do i have to be in recovery mode fir before i run adb? just figured out how to get into recovery.
19th February 2012, 03:52 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Since I'm in Canada with the Rogers variant I was going to upload the stock kernel, but somehow I just cannot get into recovery to pull it, I've tried vol up+power, both volumes+power, and obviously vol down+ power is download mode. It's almost embarrassing haha.
I've always made good use of what the dev's have done for us since my N1, I figured I could give back at least a little
19th February 2012, 03:55 AM |#10  

More
looks like i had to be in recovery mode. how big is the kernel suppose to be mine shows about 10MB

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

to get into recovery mode hold vol + and vol - and turn on the phone holding the volume keys and release the power key
19th February 2012, 04:01 AM |#11  
Flag Decatur, IL
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
Da_G...

I have been a big fan of yours for a long time... You had the BEST Windows 6.5 ROMS I ever used and have always done a lot for the community...

I cannot tell you how happy I was to see that you have this phone and are working on it!

Just wanted to sing your praises

Can't wait to see your new stuff!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)