[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Galaxy S i9000 (FINAL! SAFE!)

Search This thread

mikael120

Feb 17, 2010
thanks for the rapid reply .
i will first flash with one of the firmwares you discribed than i will put one of the 2 others on it .going to try it out tommorow since iam on my work right now .

one more (lol and last) question .flashing with odin means my stock firmware is gone.but what about my backupped firmware that i backupped with rom manager that stays on it ?

it should, though you could easily back it up to your pc which I would recommend anyway, to back it up simply copy the clockworkmod directory from your sdcard to your pc. and the samsung-firmware site has the XXJF3 firmware available so you could actually simply flash that through ODIN to get the stock firmware if you ever need to repair your phone. oh and remember that the roms require different firmwares, the samset rom requires the jm5 firmware and the modaco rom requires the jg5, so flashing jm5 and then the modaco rom won't work.

wheelboy

Aug 2, 2010
eindhoven
thanks for all the information .

Iam going to try it out tommorrow i have the day of so than i have time enough to experiment .lol since i have nothing to do right now iam going to look waht both (modaco and samset) can do and all the bugs that are in it by reading the forum than it will be clear wich one i will put on my phone .ill let u know how it went in the comming days

RinTinTigger

Nov 26, 2009
i have a strange problem. whenever i install clockworkmod recovery via ROM Manager, the normal recovery shows up when im booting into recovery....

I see clockwork one time, and then if i boot to recovery again - stock recovery...

Can anyone assist?

/edit:

pauls JG5 2.1
rooted

Adevem

Aug 4, 2010
i have a strange problem. whenever i install clockworkmod recovery via ROM Manager, the normal recovery shows up when im booting into recovery....

I see clockwork one time, and then if i boot to recovery again - stock recovery...

Can anyone assist?

/edit:

pauls JG5 2.1
rooted

apparently what i did to get past that is...
i went into rom manager -> pressed [Flash Clockmod Recovery]
it'll prompt that you have the latest CMR installed.

then just do your thing, i'm restoring now as we speak. screwed something up ):

RinTinTigger

Nov 26, 2009
apparently what i did to get past that is...
i went into rom manager -> pressed [Flash Clockmod Recovery]
it'll prompt that you have the latest CMR installed.

then just do your thing, i'm restoring now as we speak. screwed something up ):

it says that too, but i cant boot into clockwork -.-

Phk

Hey there guys!

Excelent Work, ROM Manager boots into Clockwork without a problem :D

I only switched from HTC Magic to Samsung Galaxy a few hours ago, but i liked the *security* of having a Clockwork Recovery flashed onto the internal phone. Just imagine if my ROM doesn't boot, how can i access the Clockwork Recovery? :(

I'd like to flash the Clockwork Rom into the phone itself.

Is this doable? How can i do this? Any1 already did this and care to share the experience... ? ;)

Cheers and congrats again for the Work. Undoubtly the safest way to backup a phone!! =)

Phk

nalinbhatt

Jul 27, 2010
Hi,
I did the recovery thing. Now, I can see a folder called 'Clockworkmod' in root of my internal sd. Inside that folder there are four things. 1. .recoveryinfo 2. 'backup' folder with files ending with .img extension 3. 'download' folder and 4. zip file called 'recovery-update.zip'
Which one of them should be used incase I flash new firmware and I have to go back to the original ROM? Should I rename recover-update.zip to update.zip and go to download mode to get back to the original ROM ? And what are those .img files in 'backup' folder. How do I use them ? I would be grateful if you can provide some information.

EDIT: I have Bell samsung galaxy s vibrant (Canada).
Stock Bell firmware:
PDA/Phone: i9000ugjg9
CSC: i9000bmcjg9

Last edited:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
Hi,
I did the recovery thing. Now, I can see a folder called 'Clockworkmod' in root of my internal sd. Inside that folder there are four things. 1. .recoveryinfo 2. 'backup' folder with files ending with .img extension 3. 'download' folder and 4. zip file called 'recovery-update.zip'
Which one of them should be used incase I flash new firmware and I have to go back to the original ROM? Should I rename recover-update.zip to update.zip and go to download mode to get back to the original ROM ? And what are those .img files in 'backup' folder. How do I use them ? I would be grateful if you can provide some information.

EDIT: I have Bell samsung galaxy s vibrant (Canada).
Stock Bell firmware:
PDA/Phone: i9000ugjg9
CSC: i9000bmcjg9

i posted it a few pages back

for the Bell Vibrant use I9000 when selecting not the USA vibrant

Phk

Hey guys, i see that no one has answered to my question so the process might be unsafe or a bit difficult.

So lets picture this scenario:
- I have a nandroid backup of my working ROM in my external SD Card
- Then I screw my ROM entirely unpurposedly
- I hadn't put the update.zip in the internal SD Card

How do I recover my backup?

amir_rafie

Dec 8, 2008
www.handheldusers.com
Hi , I have a question ,,
After installing Rom Manager and take a backup , I have a update.zip folder in sdcard. now if I want to install a rom I should rename the rom to update.zip and copy it in the SDcard. so there is a conflict ,,, If I remove the former so how this nandroid backup could help me if I have a problem in flashing a new rom ?!

alijones

Jul 11, 2006
Amsterdam
First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL. (There's another link in the forum to do this, I can't find it at the moment)

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management are done for you!

Installation instructions:
  1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
  2. Flash Recovery.
  3. Choose Galaxy S i9000 as your phone.
  4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
  5. Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
  6. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
  7. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!

If you can't seem to get ROM Manager off the market, you can get it from my homepage:
http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html
I followed your steps and tried to back up my rom. The problem was that after entering covery menu the backup didn't work and now Titanium Backup says i don't have SU on my rom. For some reason ii can't use titanium now and i am agraid to use the clockwork recovery again. Can you help me?

Kanjtozzft

Aug 8, 2010
Hello.

I've started a clockworkmod recovery and has been standing still on the
"Kanal" or "Channel" and the "eurosport_HD.png" file.

Is it normal that it's stuck there for a while, or have something gone wrong? :)

Tried for the third time now, and also tried cache wipe.

Thanks for any support.

Last edited:

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
Hey guys, i see that no one has answered to my question so the process might be unsafe or a bit difficult.

So lets picture this scenario:
- I have a nandroid backup of my working ROM in my external SD Card
- Then I screw my ROM entirely unpurposedly
- I hadn't put the update.zip in the internal SD Card

How do I recover my backup?

i leave the clockwork update.zip on my card.. no reason not too. .i keep a copy of the root update.zip on my external sd card.. once you get your phone recovered with clockwork you can always copy it back to the sd card to root.

but if the internal sd card gets hosed you are hosed.. but that goes without saying.. (as the backup and the update.zip need to be on this internal sd)

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
hi, finally i got my sgs today, and the first thing i did was downloading the recovery update.zip from website fired it up by running the update.zip from stock recovery and make a nandroid backup, so now i have a clean backup of I9000AUJF1 firmware which seems to be austria only. so now the next step i did was rooting, installing the lagfix through Tayutama´s update.zip and the oc kernel. then i was courious to see if the kernel would be restored through the nandroid restore, and bam... it did not, so the kernel restore issue has nothing to do with partition size at all since i did never flash another firmware with odin.

just wanted you to know that, and ask for a solution.

in my nandriod folder is a cache.img, data.img, datadata.img, nandroid.md5 and system.img
dont know if kernel is somwhere in there...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL. (There's another link in the forum to do this, I can't find it at the moment)

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management are done for you!

Installation instructions:
    1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    2. Flash Recovery.
    3. Choose Galaxy S i9000 as your phone.
    4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
    5. Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.
    6. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
    7. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!

If you can't seem to get ROM Manager off the market, you can get it from my homepage:
    http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html
    hi im helping a friend out with rooting his samsung galaxy s i9000 ive rooted it with no problems superuser works but i cant reboot it in the clo0ckwork mod recovery..... ive tried almost everything... someone pls help us out...
    Thanks in advance, u can mail me at ninotje1993@gmail.com ;)

How did you root? SuperOneClick?

Can you get into Download Mode? (Volume down + Home + Power)
    What happens when you do the 3 button recovery (Volume Up + Home + Power) does it go into Samsung Standard 3e recovery?

If yes, then go about flashing CF-Root from Chainfire here.

This will give you 2e Recovery and ClockWork Mod.

Other options to consider if your friend's 3 button modes are not working:

[FIX] Release: 3-button combo fix for any firmware version

Another option - flash a kernel with SGS Kernel Flasher which have root and busy box, 2e recovery.

[APP][Update] SGS kernel flasher v1.5.9 - flash a kernel within android.

Be sure that you have root access - thing is I'm not sure if this is the way to go about things if you've not got your 3 button recoveries working.

You need to be more specific when asking for this kind of help though.
    Current Rom, firmware, etc.

Hope some of that helps.

PS! Dropped you an email as well - too much time on my hands :p
    Should be working though :confused: :p :D
    Stickied. Closing the other one. Not sure why you would start a new thread instead of modifying the old one though...
    when you upgrade to froyo you also upgrade to recovery 3e

you need to revert to recovery 2e

see here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=788108
    with my original froyo updated from kies
    start ROM manager, tap on flash clockworkmod recovery and receive
    unable to connect server. Please make sure that you have a stable internet connection.
    I am wifi connected at home.
    :confused:

http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.2-galaxys.zip

flash this as update zip from 2e recovery.