[UPDATE]08.06 Who else still keep your Gtab in hand?

Search This thread

Yamagushi

Oct 29, 2010
I still use it daily, got the keyboard case for when I need it standing or need to type quickly. Use it mostly as a media consumption device, Netflix, Movies, Interwebs, some games.

merril

Mar 30, 2011
Worth upgrading?

I still use mine for Youtube and occasionally e-mail.
Outside of the house its weight and viewing angles reduce its usefulness.

As it's not mission critical for me to have a tablet I decided I would wait for the next generation of Tegra chips and buy a new tablet.

With the release of the Tegra 3 are we in the next generation of Tablets - so to speak? I've been looking at the Asus TF700 with 1080p ips+ screen and quad core 1.5ghz proc.
As I'm supporting tablets in a BYOD environment having a nice piece of hardware to demonstrate our software on would be beneficial.

Is it worth it to upgrade at this point? Or should I wait for the Q1 release of the next tegra chips and hopefully cheaper tablets.

xjarl

Dec 7, 2010
I still use mine for Youtube and occasionally e-mail.
Outside of the house its weight and viewing angles reduce its usefulness.

As it's not mission critical for me to have a tablet I decided I would wait for the next generation of Tegra chips and buy a new tablet.

With the release of the Tegra 3 are we in the next generation of Tablets - so to speak? I've been looking at the Asus TF700 with 1080p ips+ screen and quad core 1.5ghz proc.
As I'm supporting tablets in a BYOD environment having a nice piece of hardware to demonstrate our software on would be beneficial.

Is it worth it to upgrade at this point? Or should I wait for the Q1 release of the next tegra chips and hopefully cheaper tablets.

New tablets release out day and day.hard for us to select a right one...

Sent from my Honor U8860 using xda-developers app

tvm777

Jul 22, 2012
I still use mine but for fun. My kids use it for gaming and some educational games/videos. my wife uses it for Angry Birds lol. I installed the ICS by tjohnson and I found new love for this puppy all over again :)

Hi, since your using the same ROM i am
does you have troubles with it?
I mean sometimes icons dissapear, and just show wallpaper?
or screen show with lots of lines?

its the ICS rom deoxed? or its just me?

kobhomye

Sep 29, 2010
Still have mine i have been installing the team deh ics and jelly bean roms and mist recently smmothbean and blackbean by mega and really enjoy my tablet again. I use it mostly for streaming hbogo for my 2 year old

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

JustinFlor.es

Nov 8, 2012
I'm still using mine daily. Smooth Bean has brought it back to life. Puffin Browser and Novus Launcher make it snappier. My favorite apps are Big Fat Canvas, for unlimited note taking and sketching, SketchBook Pro for better quality drawing with a limited canvas, and Fruit Ninja for... what else, slicing and dicing fruit.

Nash Enders

Nov 16, 2012
I've had my gTab since May 2010 and I still use it everyday. It's gone through many different ROMs starting with VeganTab and is now currently running Dirty Bean. I kept wanting to replace it with the Toshiba Excite 10 or the Nexus 10, but it still does everything I need to use it for, so I'm going to stick it out until I absolutely have to move on.

lilman573

Mar 23, 2011
Jersey
I still use mine daily. My father in law also ended up giving me his when he moved on to a transformer! Now I have a work and home tablet lol. Smoother bean really made me enjoy this tablet again.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

hungrymr2

Sep 3, 2009
can't tell you how many times I thought about letting it go, but time after time, developers never failed on keeping it alive. I've been using the gtablet since 2010.

tobalaz

Jul 17, 2012
Norton
Well, finally broke down and ordered a cheap 7" android tablet to use as a reader and web surfer.
As much as I love my Gtab it gets heavy when I use it to read books or comics, so I'm going to use it as a media center / retro gaming console.
Probably use it to mess around with testing new ROMs and experimenting with modding existing ROMs then hopefully on to building my own.

Sent from my sMoothTab using xda app-developers app

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
Well, finally broke down and ordered a cheap 7" android tablet to use as a reader and web surfer.
As much as I love my Gtab it gets heavy when I use it to read books or comics, so I'm going to use it as a media center / retro gaming console.
Probably use it to mess around with testing new ROMs and experimenting with modding existing ROMs then hopefully on to building my own.

Sent from my sMoothTab using xda app-developers app

Which one did you get. I am looking into getting my wife something for that same reason. She currently has here standard kindle of course, but I also see her reading books with her phone. Would like to get her something that she can use so that she will leave my toy alone when she wants to look something up. :D

Sent from my SmoOth A$$ Gtablet

xjarl

Dec 7, 2010
Which one did you get. I am looking into getting my wife something for that same reason. She currently has here standard kindle of course, but I also see her reading books with her phone. Would like to get her something that she can use so that she will leave my toy alone when she wants to look something up. :D

Sent from my SmoOth A$$ Gtablet

There are many cheap 7'' tablet pc: Ainol Novo 7, Romas,Onda,Vido and Cube. toooooo much. select one of them.

tobalaz

Jul 17, 2012
Norton
Pmed ya back, just didn't want to post links and risk getting in trouble.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

techstorm

Mar 28, 2011
Nashville, TN
Still going...

My gTab is still going thanks to the update I installed from nobe1976. :victory: :victory: :victory:

I had ICS on it and it was running really slow. It had got to the point that no one in my family wanted to use it. Then one day my daughter brought it to me and it was unable to boot even after charging it all night. I tossed it on a bookshelf and figured I'd look at it later. Fast forward 3 months and today I decided I would see if I could at least get it to turn on. When I came here I found the update to Smooth Bean and it has completely revived my gTab! I can't wait to see them fighting over the "old" tablet again. ;)

I tested it with Chrome, Netflix and Pandora (the three apps that see the most use around here). It worked flawlessly! I can't believe what a difference this mod has made to a tablet I bought in 03/2011. As long as it works this good I'd say it will keep getting used for a long time.

Last edited:

TheKaz

Sep 22, 2010
My wife got sick of the lag on mine, and I bought her a Nexus 10. Currently watching NHL GameCenter Live on it. It is nice. As for the gTab - I just got done flashing Jelly Bean on it a few hours ago, so we'll see if that makes it more useable for a while. May look to mount it in the kitch as a family calendar or something.

xjarl

Dec 7, 2010
There is a webstore in China has a promotion of G-TABLET(MALATA T2 512MB RAM version). I guess that's inventory of Gtablet or Refurbished version. Its cheaply enough.. 499RMB---$81..