Folders for Windows Phone [UPDATE 4/30/12]

Search This thread

birki2k

Feb 16, 2010
Thank you for this great app!
I've searched a for long time to find something like this.
The only thing I miss is a feature to add custom folder pictures. I like the simple design of WP7 a lot. But the folder-tile gets very "over-colored" with some apps in it. So a simple function that allows to use a (presized) picture for each folder would be great. Or is there already a way, perhaps with the *.folder xml file?

Thanks a lot

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Thank you for this great app!
I've searched a for long time to find something like this.
The only thing I miss is a feature to add custom folder pictures. I like the simple design of WP7 a lot. But the folder-tile gets very "over-colored" with some apps in it. So a simple function that allows to use a (presized) picture for each folder would be great. Or is there already a way, perhaps with the *.folder xml file?

Thanks a lot

You mean like, a simple folder icon?

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Yes or even better a simple icon set (or the opportunity to add images). Something like this (or this one :D) would be awesome:

h**p://blog.twg.ca/2010/11/retina-display-icon-set/

I'll consider it. I have a lot of stuff I need to redesign in the newer version, so I might throw this in.
Edit: To clarify: it's a good idea, and I understand why you would want it. It's really a matter of time for me these days ;) Thanks

Also, if you use the isolated storage explorer, you can replace your tile images with a different one, which should update at some point on your home screen.

birki2k

Feb 16, 2010
I'll consider it. I have a lot of stuff I need to redesign in the newer version, so I might throw this in.
Edit: To clarify: it's a good idea, and I understand why you would want it. It's really a matter of time for me these days ;) Thanks

No problem, I haven't expected an immediate update or something :D. If you find the time and there is a new version with this in it someday, it would be great. Otherwise it's still an excellent app.

Also, if you use the isolated storage explorer, you can replace your tile images with a different one, which should update at some point on your home screen.

Thanks for this hint. I still run XP on my machine, so I'm very limited with the tools I can use. But I guess I will switch to Windows 7 soon and be a bit more flexible. I'll keep it in mind.

Last edited:

contable

Oct 25, 2009
@Jaxbot:

As you know the sammy rainbow rom from DFT is out.
Do you think you can update the folders app with full on-device support ?
I mean that we can choose apps which are installed on the device.

I think the mayority of the WP7 users still have 1st gen devices and as I know you also have a Samsung (besides the nice Lumia:)) so a high percentage of the users could take advantage of an updated full on-device folders app version...

Just an idea... Thx again for all your hard work.

Best regards

contable

Reactions: mirolg

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
@Jaxbot:

As you know the sammy rainbow rom from DFT is out.
Do you think you can update the folders app with full on-device support ?
I mean that we can choose apps which are installed on the device.

I think the mayority of the WP7 users still have 1st gen devices and as I know you also have a Samsung (besides the nice Lumia:)) so a high percentage of the users could take advantage of an updated full on-device folders app version...

Just an idea... Thx again for all your hard work.

Best regards

contable

Not a bad idea, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Reactions: contable

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Not a bad idea, I'll look into it. Thanks.

I don´t know if this is really needed.

Today I got my hands on a new not yet published custom rom for the OMNIA 7.

The features are:

- Full HTC app support (HTC Hub Tile works now, HTC Connected Media works now)
- Full TouchXplorer support
- Full Advanced Config support (includes tiles and icons customization)

and finally

- Full TouchXperience/WPDM support

=> This means on-device folder creation works now on the OMNIA 7 via TouchXperience
=> just select one of your installed apps from a list

There are more features but I´m still testing the rom.

Regards

contable

Reactions: mirolg

rubehu

Sep 23, 2008
Excelente

Hey all!

Chiming in with one of my releases, as somebody suggested I do ;) I'm sure you've all heard of my previous Folders application that was well featured, though perhaps not too user friendly. Well, here's a post about the on-device branch of the application ;)

The boring details are on my site, but since this is XDA, I'll go a little in depth. The application allows folder entries to be created, which can then be pinned to the start menu. To add applications to them, since I don't have interop access (if someone wants to give me a link on how to use the file system on Samsung 1st gens, I'd love to take a look at it. Can't find anything after Mango), the application searches the Marketplace and pulls down the proper GUID and application image. Built-in system applications can also be added, which are hard coded. If you want to be creative, you can enter your own GUID, but it won't have a custom image. Of course, this is all subject to change if I can get some ideas on how to smooth out the user experience, but it's a work in progress ;)

So far, it looks like this:
Features:
-Allows adding Marketplace and System applications into folders, which are then pinned to the start screen
-Now pin websites into the folders, too!
-Regional Marketplace support (en-US, en-GB, fr-FR, etc)
-Smooth interface
-Completely on device
-Requires only developer unlock, no interop required!

And planned:
-Custom tiles implementation
-Smoother interface
-Perhaps interop support for people with interop unlock

Known bugs (be sure to report 'em ;) )
-Exiting the add app popup is hard
-Doesn't support light theme too well (not a lot I can do there, unless I branched it)
-Some people report COM issues; report if you have this problem. Also, try reinstalling it, that seems to help.

And you can download it at the bottom of this page: http://windowsphonehacker.com/folders

Cheers, let me know some feedback!

Muy buen porte, gracias

p00ltergeist

Apr 18, 2010
I love this, great work jaxbot!

However I also seem to have the "tile-problem"
Everything regarding the app works fine, its just the tiles that just dont seem to work.

Now this is a promising project however and I know its still in the early stage so ill keep my hope up for the next release.

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
Reported

This has also been reported in the comments on his web siteby several people. No update there or here. I have been using all versions of this app since it was first released and love it. So much easier to use the rooted version on the phone. If the live tile issue was fixed, it would be perfect for me.

Thanks to the dev!!!!!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all!

New release! Time to clean up the thread a little~

The new release comes as a one-size-fits-all: rooted devices will receive the privileged features, otherwise simple Marketplace searching will be used. Here's the features list:

• Pin Folders onto your start screen
    • Full customization on what goes into what folder
    • One App Suits All: Install the XAP, which will automatically detect if the device has root privileges, and select the appropriate method for adding applications.
    • Non-rooted: Add from System or Marketplace, including OEM Marketplaces
    • Rooted: Pin folders to your start menu (experimental)
    • Adds one of the most requested features to Windows Phone devices
    The region can be changed when searching the Marketplace, too.

You can download it at the bottom of this page: http://windowsphonehacker.com/folders

Let me know of any bugs or feature requests. Thanks!
    Here is a small guide how to add apps, which you actually can´t find with the marketplace search function of the folder app, to an existing folder:

1. Download Windows Phone Power Tools from here: http://wptools.codeplex.com
    2. Install and run it on your desktop
    3. Go to "file browser"
    4. Search for the guid of the folder app (a2e30887-7682-43cf-9a71-c20104b190fa)

Note: if you have installed the folder app with Windows Phone Power Tools you will find "Folders" instead of the guid

5. tap on the guid or on "Folders"
    6. you will see a file type xxxx.folder (xxxx is the name of your before created folder)
    7. Press "Get" button and save the file to your desktop or just use drag´n drop function
    8. Open this file with the text editor and add the name, the guid and the iconname of the app you can´t find in the marketplace (just check the existing apps and you will see how to do that)
    9. save the modified file
    10. copy the xxxx.folder file together with the appicon (important: .jpg format) back to the device ("Put" button or just drag´n drop)
    11. run Folders on you device and you will find the manually added app in your folder
    12. pin the folder

Attached is an example of a self-created "Nokia" folder including the appicons, just copy, as descibed above, all files with Windows Phone Power Tools to the Isolated Storage of the folders app and voila you will see an Nokia folder...

Cheers

contable
    Any close future updates planned? Just asking... :)

Yep, new version today (I was away when you posted that, had you waited an hour :p )

Regional support, website support, some bug fixes.
    Let me know what you guys think.

Download at the same place as in the first post.
    Thanks Jaxbot!!!
    Folders is simply awesome, far much better as we can set it up from our devices!!!

Thanks to contable too for the opening to others marketplace!!

I´m sure Jaxbot will update the app soon, so all regions and OEM´s will be supported.

In the meantime you can use the before posted method to complete your self-created folders as well as backup the created folder files. The backup possibility is important because sometimes the app crashes and all added apps disappear...
    Alright folks, finished my rewrite. Still some issues to work out, and some new issues, but it should clear up some problems people were complaining about.

See here:
    http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/release_the_new_folders_application-04-30-12