[CM9 beta] Battery Optimization Discussion

Search This thread

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
Data off means no email sync, web browsing, facebook.....anything that needs to connect to the outside world except phone calls and texting. It makes it a dumb phone.

Bingo. The only thing you'll be able to do is call people, receive calls, and send/receive SMS text messages. Note, not MMS messages, those take data. That's it. No email, no surfing the interwebz on the googlez, nothing like that. It literally goes back to being a feature phone.

Oh, and you can still play your games, but not games that require any sort of internet connection, like a words with friends, though I've never played it before.

Reactions: MrEpic

MrEpic

Jul 20, 2011
Bingo. The only thing you'll be able to do is call people, receive calls, and send/receive SMS text messages. Note, not MMS messages, those take data. That's it. No email, no surfing the interwebz on the googlez, nothing like that. It literally goes back to being a feature phone.

Oh, and you can still play your games, but not games that require any sort of internet connection, like a words with friends, though I've never played it before.
O ok..got yall...so its like going back in time to the 90s wit the nokia wit the green screen and snake!??? Thanks...i would imagine that would save a lot of battery...where is this function located...is it the mobile networks on/off or data usage > mobile data...on/off??

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
O ok..got yall...so its like going back in time to the 90s wit the nokia wit the green screen and snake!??? Thanks...i would imagine that would save a lot of battery...where is this function located...is it the mobile networks on/off or data usage > mobile data...on/off??

Dude, I loved snake. And yes, just like that. Texts and calls, nothing more. If you open up your dropdown status bar, you should see two arrows, one going up and one going down. Hitting that button will turn data to your phone off and you'll see the 3G (or 4G if you roll like that) disappear and only the signal strength will be visable.

If you wanted to go one step further, put it in airplane mode, but then no calls or texts either. It's then basically a media player.

JBizzleFoSho

Jan 4, 2011
I use DroidWall to manage what apps can and can not access data while on 3g or wifi. Perhaps this could be a happy medium between turning off data and letting all your apps go rampant on your data usage.

I believe I got this from marcusant.

I have been having pretty good results. With "stock" beta0, I can leave my phone on over night (with data on) and I only lose about 2%/hr.

Reactions: hayzooos

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
I use DroidWall to manage what apps can and can not access data while on 3g or wifi. Perhaps this could be a happy medium between turning off data and letting all your apps go rampant on your data usage.

I believe I got this from marcusant.

I have been having pretty good results. With "stock" beta0, I can leave my phone on over night (with data on) and I only lose about 2%/hr.

This is fantastic, thank you for the suggestion. I have never heard of this app before, and I've heard of people using JD Ultimate (which I think is about $5). This looks to be a free alternative, so I'm happy about that. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I'm amazed no one has recommended Battery Calibration. You should do it every time you switch kernels to ensure accurate reporting of battery percentage.

Because battery calibration is a myth and not needed. The percentage is directly proportional to the voltage on the battery. 100% = 4.200 Volts and 0% = 3.700 volts. That is how your phone determines percentage. An Android Google Engineer wrote an article on this.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
I'm amazed no one has recommended Battery Calibration. You should do it every time you switch kernels to ensure accurate reporting of battery percentage.

The batterystats file is nothing more than the info displayed for battery info under settings/battery usage. It has no affect on your battery displaying properly and does not changed anything. The file is wiped every time your charge reaches 100%. You cannot calibrate a lithium ion battery. You can only work in the cells when the battery is brand new and the cells haven't been used yet (cycling the battery a few time to ensure it's receiving it's maximum voltage capacity when charged).

Edit: I see kenny already explained.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
Aight...im a little late on the bus but this thread is full of people i trust...ok...turning off "Data" saves battery...what can/cant i do when data is on/off??

Data off means no email sync, web browsing, facebook.....anything that needs to connect to the outside world except phone calls and texting. It makes it a dumb phone.

This is fantastic, thank you for the suggestion. I have never heard of this app before, and I've heard of people using JD Ultimate (which I think is about $5). This looks to be a free alternative, so I'm happy about that. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

JD Ultimate is nice but takes some time to configure it to work best with how you use your device. I personally love it and have managed so far to slightly over double how long I get out of a full charge to up to just over 48 hours depending on light, medium, or heavy usage. Without it I get up to 24 hours. I'm not familiar with droidwall so correct me if I'm wrong but JD takes things one step farther and turns data on and off for you and allows you to specify if you would like to have data turn on/stay on for specific apps in addition to the other rules for toggling data. Where as droid wall just reduces data usage which does save battery but data off when not needed saves even more.

poit

May 10, 2009
Colorado
Google Pixel 7
So, all these comments make me wonder a more basic question about CM9:

So far my experience has been that CM9 is quite a battery hog.

I run virtually stock EL30, leave data, wifi, and bluetooth on all day, have email push sync, and at the end of a 16 hour day I usually have about 30 to 40% left with an 1800 mAh battery.

The same type of setup and usage on CM9 beta 0 and I'm down to 40% in about 6 or 7 hours.

What I'm curious about is this: Is this battery usage just the nature of ICS or CM9 on the Epic or can we expect battery usage to get tamed as the devs continue to debug and tweak the ROM?

This isn't a knock on the devs working on this ROM, it's come along remarkably fast and they had done some tremendous work so far. Just wondering what to expect in the future.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
So, all these comments make me wonder a more basic question about CM9:

So far my experience has been that CM9 is quite a battery hog.

I run virtually stock EL30, leave data, wifi, and bluetooth on all day, have email push sync, and at the end of a 16 hour day I usually have about 30 to 40% left with an 1800 mAh battery.

The same type of setup and usage on CM9 beta 0 and I'm down to 40% in about 6 or 7 hours.

What I'm curious about is this: Is this battery usage just the nature of ICS or CM9 on the Epic or can we expect battery usage to get tamed as the devs continue to debug and tweak the ROM?

This isn't a knock on the devs working on this ROM, it's come along remarkably fast and they had done some tremendous work so far. Just wondering what to expect in the future.

Since we don't have an official ICS we can't compare. This was not really meant to run on our phone's limited resources and ported drivers. They are improving battery life with every release. When the awake time is closer to the display time you will have much better battery life. Right now it is more than double the display time for most.

shadowlink217

Dec 16, 2010
The batterystats file is nothing more than the info displayed for battery info under settings/battery usage. It has no affect on your battery displaying properly and does not changed anything. The file is wiped every time your charge reaches 100%. You cannot calibrate a lithium ion battery. You can only work in the cells when the battery is brand new and the cells haven't been used yet (cycling the battery a few time to ensure it's receiving it's maximum voltage capacity when charged).

Interesting, I'm glad the community actually found a definitive answer as to whether or not it does anything. Must have been all in my head.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
JD Ultimate is nice but takes some time to configure it to work best with how you use your device. I personally love it and have managed so far to slightly over double how long I get out of a full charge to up to just over 48 hours depending on light, medium, or heavy usage. Without it I get up to 24 hours. I'm not familiar with droidwall so correct me if I'm wrong but JD takes things one step farther and turns data on and off for you and allows you to specify if you would like to have data turn on/stay on for specific apps in addition to the other rules for toggling data. Where as droid wall just reduces data usage which does save battery but data off when not needed saves even more.

Correct, i do both i have JD and let it set to no apps to use data but on extreme, and just toggle data before i open an app if needed so it initiates data faster for those who really complain about the few seconds haha, and get outstanding battery life but im still rocking CM7 so its much better than CM9's overall battery life or MIUI.

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011

As far as I have gathered from the past more than a year this is the best our devices are capable of while leaving all the radios on. By the way is what I do most of the time. I use JD ultimate when I want to get more out of days where I know I'm going to have heavy use.

This in my opinion is not normal and there must be a factor that is not playing nice with CM9 due to the difference in android versions, and that is specific to you and possibly the others that experience such a change in battery life. For me every custom ROM I have used (5 or 6 including CM9) on my epic all have gotten me 24 hours or a bit more from a full charge using the stock battery. And slightly over twice that using JD.

Correct, i do both i have JD and let it set to no apps to use data but on extreme, and just toggle data before i open an app if needed so it initiates data faster for those who really complain about the few seconds haha, and get outstanding battery life but im still rocking CM7 so its much better than CM9's overall battery life or MIUI.

For me I get just as good battery on CM9 as I did on CM7 etc. The worst battery I ever got/get is on the stock official stuff. That being at best 12 hours or a bit more. Using JD would get me about 50% more. That's why I've never looked back to running official stock. Data turns on almost instant for me when using JD to manage toggling it for me.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
For me I get just as good battery on CM9 as I did on CM7 etc. The worst battery I ever got/get is on the stock official stuff. That being at best 12 hours or a bit more. Using JD would get me about 50% more. That's why I've never looked back to running official stock. Data turns on almost instant for me when using JD to manage toggling it for me.

JD has settings to use if you put in on extreme it never allows data to go through unless it says an app has permission to but i leave all apps off for data unless i choose to manually toggle data.

|| Acer ||

Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
Alright so my batterys been acting really weird. Whenever on signal and I don't touch it, the phone constantly is draining. I put it on airplane mode and don't touch it, it goes back 10%. How can I make it so cm9 reads the battery correct?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Battery Optimization Discussion Thread
    CM9 beta: Android 4.0.3 for Samsung Epic 4G

This thread is ONLY to discuss issues related to power management and battery life on CM9 on the Epic 4G. Battery tips are regularly summarized in the official Battery Optimization Guide. Please read the guide before posting to this thread.

CM9 Discussion Threads
    If you notice especially high battery drain and recently used your GPS or Camera they can occasionally stay on with no visible signs. Also please remember the battery stats is HIGHLY inaccurate. A Phone reboot usually fixes this.

Never keep apps like Skype, IRC, etc that stay running and keep your CPU on they drain battery especially fast!

One big battery saver is to not wake your phone to just check the time. Let the CPU stay in deep-sleep as long as possible to preserve power until you actually need your phone for something.

One MAJOR thing to save power is DO NOT MESS WITH CPU SETTINGS!
    Do not use 3rd party apps like Voltage Control or SetCPU or even the built in Performance settings as modifying the settings will increase the minimum clock to 200MHz which will greatly reduce battery life than NOT messing with them. This is a known issue and will be addressed in a future release!
    Anything that pushes something over the air haha needs data.

SMS does require data as well as MMS. turn your mobile data off and WiFi off and watch nothing will get sent. Some apps dont require Carrier data but atleast WiFi needs it enabled to push it. & If you want something that toggles a data schedule for you for certain apps is Juice Defender

Airplane mode is on no sms gets gets puhed at all with data on it does, with data off but the fm radio is still on yes but isn't that considered data being off

Exactly so if they can't answer this if data is off how can anything be pushed or received? You can't push emails through without internet hence data

OK So again if sms doesn't use radio then when you turn off the radio hence airplane mode it doesn't send, so no you need to further explain because you cant push anything without data.

Because when data is off the radio is still on, once the radio goes off you cant send sms

Ex. If i want to go to a different page on the internt but my interent goes off(basically no data sent or received) i cant go anywhere and it wont find the web page.

No this is complete bullsh*t you guys aren't understanding me at all I'm not arguing I'm confused, stop accusing me of trying to argue. If you'd listen you'd understand. Data off means radio still is on which means you can't get on the internet but you can send a sms but how??? When I say airplane mode that turns off the radio completely, so now you can't even make a sms. So if data is off how am I sending a sms what does it do to get through? For example you can't connect to the internet if your modem is off.

So please explain how the hell its sending a message when data is off. I'm trying to understand this, not argue

Thank you for the explantion was it so hard for them to do that. Now that's cleared up let's move on we got off topic and I know there's off topic patrol that will get mad lol. But thanks that was all that was needed to be said.

This is you not arguing and just trying to understand.

I want you to read back through your posts and be honest with yourself.

Your right however, this is somewhat off topic. Who brought it off topic? Ask yourself that after re-reading your own posts.

Stop using others giving you the benefit of the doubt saying you "might be confused" as a crutch to why you were arguing a point you were completely wrong on while telling others with much more experience and knowledge that they are wrong.

Stop using "off topic discussion" as a crutch to why if your wrong about something you were arguing that it must immediately be dropped so you can simply say you were just confused and not just incorrect.

Stop claiming it's others who should have made this easy and just explained to you "how". You didn't really ask how till the end, you just kept saying we were wrong.

You really, really need to learn how to articulate thoughts. I'm not saying have proper grammar shook the time, but have you ever actually read your own posts back to yourself? A lot of **** you say is damn near impossible to discipher.

Admit your wrong when your wrong, hell I know I've been wrong about **** on these and other forums plenty. Learn more, become more knowledgable, be open to others who have more experience and knowledge about these things than you do. Yes dude, trust that developers and people who work with this kind of **** on a level higher than "I can flash this mod to my phone" might actually have more knowledge than you when it comes to Android software and hardware.

You've been around long enough, bro. There's really no more excuses.

I won't post again if you reply cause as I said you are right, this is off topic, and I've succeeded in taking it farther off topic. You just need to hear some of these things, and so I'm telling you since I've experienced these things with you for going on 3-4 years now since you got your Samsung Moment.

Because battery calibration is a myth and not needed. The percentage is directly proportional to the voltage on the battery. 100% = 4.200 Volts and 0% = 3.700 volts. That is how your phone determines percentage. An Android Google Engineer wrote an article on this.