Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Q] Noob Question on upgrading to 4.4.2 for Canadian Variant SGH-I337M

183 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By shuweee, Senior Member on 2nd May 2014, 12:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
My apology if this has been asked as I've scanned through a few with not much luck.

Came across this and i went to sammobile and dl the TELUS 4.4.2 firmware and judging by this article, this is an non-wipe install via Odin3.

I know it is best to wipe and start fresh but hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as I would like to upgrade without wiping.

Thanks a bunch!

http://www.howtoroot.mobi/2014/04/in...galaxy-s4.html

2nd May 2014, 05:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 452

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuweee

My apology if this has been asked as I've scanned through a few with not much luck.

Came across this and i went to sammobile and dl the TELUS 4.4.2 firmware and judging by this article, this is an non-wipe install via Odin3.

I know it is best to wipe and start fresh but hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as I would like to upgrade without wiping.

Thanks a bunch!

http://www.howtoroot.mobi/2014/04/in...galaxy-s4.html

You cant update your phone without whipping your device if using odin unless its an OTA cause if you do you will most like end up in boot llop thus just backup and then flash using odin, what i assume from the article is that it wont wipe your internal sd card but will wipe your data i.e applications and settings etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to veer1238 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift veer1238 Ad-Free
2nd May 2014, 11:30 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 239

More
Depends where you are trying to get to..... if you are not rooted on 4.3 and just want to go to 4.4.2, I would just use Kies. If you are rooted and want to go to 4.4.2 then yes this looks like the right method. Things to concider are.... do you want to be able to go back to 4.3 at anytime is so, you really shouldn't use this method as I believe it is going to update your bootloader which means no going back... If you intend on rooting anyway, I would suggest using CF- auto root, added a custom recovery and flashing Mapleleaf rom..... plus the NC1 modem... this is mostly stock, you will have root access and retain the 4.3 bootloader should you want to revert back to 4.3.......this will trip you Knox so if you want to keep warrenty well this isn't a good way to go either... unless of course you have already tripped it...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)