Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[APP][2.3+]Music Theory Helper

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By johgru, Junior Member on 11th January 2014, 08:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
We made this app to help you easily understand and find info about music theory.

Okram UF is a Swedish company and we made this application as a product for our entrepreneurship class in school.
Please, contact us if you find any bugs or misspellings!

You can find information about:
- Chords
- Intervals
- Circle of fifths
- Note values
- Rests
- Scales
- Symbols (dynamics, notes, bars, key signatures)
- Ear trainer

Everything is free except "hard" and "expert" in Ear trainer. To unlock those difficulties you need to purchase the full version of Musik Theory Helper. You can purchase the full version from inside the app. We really appreciate if would do so.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...muf.musikteori
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johgru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johgru Ad-Free

14th January 2014, 06:32 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
We would really appreciate feedback!
20th April 2014, 02:24 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Bump
21st April 2014, 04:25 AM |#4  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 602

More
Hi, I've tried this app and I have some feedback:

Pros
  • Great UI! Nice to see some Card UI here, makes it look really sleek.
  • Overall some great content here, quite substantial material for beginners and more advanced musicians.
  • Touching the cards and hearing things played back is great!
  • Play Games leaderboard is a nice touch (1st in the world for Beginner Intervals and Medium chords, yeeeeah)
  • Great to see the Circle of Fifths - something often forgotten in many theory apps

Things to add/change:
  • It would help learning musicians a lot more to use scale degrees rather than just note names, eg. For a major chord, using I III V rather than C, E and G. It makes chord building a lot easier, though what you have done gives very nice examples of the different types of chords. Using both scale degrees and notes as examples would really help people who are starting out in theory.
  • Likewise with scales - it helps more to use TTSTTTST for major rather than use notes, and using both would be great.
  • Very nitpicky detail but a perfect unison refers to the distance between two notes. On your chords page, instead of using perfect unison its better to use "root"
  • Have an option for alternate note names - I use the "semibreve, quaver, crotchet" naming system so having an option to choose between the two would be nice.

Otherwise I'm thoroughly impressed with this app, definitely one of the better apps on the Play Store. Will recommend to my muso friends as well

(I'd happily provide my music theory knowledge if you want as well)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soryuu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Soryuu Ad-Free
21st April 2014, 11:58 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soryuu

Things to add/change:

• It would help learning musicians a lot more to use scale degrees rather than just note names, eg. For a major chord, using I III V rather than C, E and G. It makes chord building a lot easier, though what you have done gives very nice examples of the different types of chords. Using both scale degrees and notes as examples would really help people who are
    starting out in theory.

I have never used that kind of chord formula, but is the minor chord also I III V, since that chord gets the minor third from the minor scale?

• Likewise with scales - it helps more to use TTSTTTST for major rather than use notes, and using both would be great.

TTSTTTST?
    What does T and S mean?
    I have seen WWHWWWHW (whole/half)

• Very nitpicky detail but a perfect unison refers to the distance between two notes. On your chords page, instead of using perfect unison its better to use "root"

I will change that in the next update
  • Have an option for alternate note names - I use the "semibreve, quaver, crotchet" naming system so having an option to choose between the two would be nice.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I will try to add that in the next update

Thank you for your feedback!

Where should I place I III V? You choose
21st April 2014, 09:34 PM |#6  
Flag Auckland

More
Next to the interval names are good

21st April 2014, 10:27 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Next to the interval names are good

Good!

Did you notice the blue text in my previous post? I asked you about some stuff you mentioned
22nd April 2014, 03:02 AM |#8  
Flag Auckland

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johgru

Good!

Did you notice the blue text in my previous post? I asked you about some stuff you mentioned

Ahhh sorry no D:
Quote:

I have never used that kind of chord formula, but is the minor chord also I III V, since that chord gets the minor third from the minor scale?

Ahhh sorry I've made a mistake here D:
For building triads its not Roman nunerals - its using 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and accidentals...
So eg.
Major - 1 3 5
Minor - 1 b3 5
Aug - 1 3 #5
Dim - 1 3 b5
And so on forth.

Quote:

TTSTTTST?
What does T and S mean?
I have seen WWHWWWHW (whole/half)

T = Tone = whole step
S = semitone = half step
Either work well

The Following User Says Thank You to Soryuu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Soryuu Ad-Free
22nd April 2014, 10:14 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Ahhh sorry no D:

Ahhh sorry I've made a mistake here D:
For building triads its not Roman nunerals - its using 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and accidentals...
So eg.
Major - 1 3 5
Minor - 1 b3 5
Aug - 1 3 #5
Dim - 1 3 b5
And so on forth.

T = Tone = whole step
S = semitone = half step
Either work well

Thank you!

I have released a new small update (0.3.41) with some crash fixes and numbers for chord structures!
The Following User Says Thank You to johgru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johgru Ad-Free
23rd April 2014, 03:19 AM |#10  
Flag Auckland

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johgru

Thank you!

I have released a new small update (0.3.41) with some crash fixes and numbers for chord structures!

Just got the update - looks great!

The Following User Says Thank You to Soryuu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Soryuu Ad-Free
30th May 2014, 11:16 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
I have added some new features!
  • You can now change the color of the app
  • Exercise - Note reading: beginner, easy, medium and hard
  • New chord: Sus4

Link to the application!
Music Theory Helper - Google Play
The Following User Says Thank You to johgru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johgru Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
application, development, music, music theory, school

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)