[GUIDE] Get 5GB storage with box.net and any device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

K Dotty

Nov 28, 2010
London
I've seen this guide in various places but i thought it would be most useful in here. I have searched to see if anyone has posted this here but found nothing.

MOD EDIT: Any app/guide that leads to defrauding a Company of money by spoofing their services is considered Warez.

Mounting Box.net on your Desktop
Linux Users
For those on linux theres a way to mount the box drive as webdavfs.
Original Link: http://www.thetechrepo.com/id=537 (Credit to alienmind for finding - say Thanks)

You can easily mount a WebDAV filesystem on Linux so that you can access the files just like they were on your local computer. One way to do is to install the davfs2 package (this is the Ubuntu/Debian package name, though it should be similar for other distros). Once you have installed it, add an entry to /etc/davfs2/secrets with your login credentials for the WebDAV account.
For box.net, the command would look like this:
Code:
[COLOR="Purple"]sudo echo[/COLOR] “https://www.box.net/dav username password” >> /etc/davfs2/secrets

You need to choose a mountpoint on your local filesystem for the WebDAV mount. In this example I am going to use /mnt/box.net, so go ahead and create the directory:
Code:
[COLOR="Purple"]mkdir[/COLOR] /media/box.net

Now add an entry to /etc/fstab for this filesystem, which will allow you to automatically mount it at boot time. If you want your normal user (instead of just root) to have write access, specify your uid (username) and gid (can be the same as your username) on the mount line along with your newly-created mountpoint:
Code:
https://www.box.net/dav /mnt/box.net    davfs   defaults,uid=username,gid=username  0       0

Save your changes to /etc/fstab and now try mounting your remote filesystem. It should mount successfully and now be accessible at your mountpoint. Note: if you have trouble writing files to the WebDAV filesystem, take a look at this article for a solution.

MAC & Window Users​

To have box.net, Dropbox, Googl Docs, Sugar Sync, and others in one folder use otixo.com. Just sign up and add your accounts then click on the link at the bottom of the page that says 'otixo on your Desktop'. It will guide you on how to mount your cloud services as a network drive.
Sync2.png

Visit otixo.com and sign up for free. I tried it and it works perfectly.

Sync.png

.......................................................................................​

P.S
When I used root explorer it didn't work all the time, I used prop editor and I cleared the box.net app data before trying again and that seemed to do the trick

Last edited by a moderator:

Harsha Raj

Jun 30, 2011
When i edit my build.prop file and reboot, it just resets to the default HTC Desire settings. What am i doing wrong?

Assuming you are doing this with root explorer, one you edit the prop file, you need to mount back read only (r/o) and then restart.

Once you have the account, switch back to original prop.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ArmorD

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
Aye, works! I had a little problem editing the build.prop file, I just added the ro.model. blablabla lines, and forgot to erase the original model.zte lines. :D

Great job, my friend! I'll spread the word!

EDIT! Dammit, guess what? I have now two box accounts with 50GB! When I was strugling with the prop file, I made another box account(I thought that was the problem), and now that I made the prop file "work", my both accounts were activated with the extra LG space! Excellent!

Last edited:

djdanska

Nov 2, 2006
Chicagoland
I logged into my dropbox account for the first time on my samsung galaxy tab 10.1 from t-mobile and they gave me 48Gb free. My account now shows 51.88GB available. Was quite shocked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen this guide in various places but i thought it would be most useful in here. I have searched to see if anyone has posted this here but found nothing.

MOD EDIT: Any app/guide that leads to defrauding a Company of money by spoofing their services is considered Warez.

Mounting Box.net on your Desktop
    Linux Users
    For those on linux theres a way to mount the box drive as webdavfs.
    Original Link: http://www.thetechrepo.com/id=537 (Credit to alienmind for finding - say Thanks)

You can easily mount a WebDAV filesystem on Linux so that you can access the files just like they were on your local computer. One way to do is to install the davfs2 package (this is the Ubuntu/Debian package name, though it should be similar for other distros). Once you have installed it, add an entry to /etc/davfs2/secrets with your login credentials for the WebDAV account.
    For box.net, the command would look like this:
    Code:
    [COLOR="Purple"]sudo echo[/COLOR] “https://www.box.net/dav username password” >> /etc/davfs2/secrets

You need to choose a mountpoint on your local filesystem for the WebDAV mount. In this example I am going to use /mnt/box.net, so go ahead and create the directory:
    Code:
    [COLOR="Purple"]mkdir[/COLOR] /media/box.net

Now add an entry to /etc/fstab for this filesystem, which will allow you to automatically mount it at boot time. If you want your normal user (instead of just root) to have write access, specify your uid (username) and gid (can be the same as your username) on the mount line along with your newly-created mountpoint:
    Code:
    https://www.box.net/dav /mnt/box.net    davfs   defaults,uid=username,gid=username  0       0

Save your changes to /etc/fstab and now try mounting your remote filesystem. It should mount successfully and now be accessible at your mountpoint. Note: if you have trouble writing files to the WebDAV filesystem, take a look at this article for a solution.

MAC & Window Users​

To have box.net, Dropbox, Googl Docs, Sugar Sync, and others in one folder use otixo.com. Just sign up and add your accounts then click on the link at the bottom of the page that says 'otixo on your Desktop'. It will guide you on how to mount your cloud services as a network drive.
    Sync2.png

Visit otixo.com and sign up for free. I tried it and it works perfectly.

Sync.png

.......................................................................................​

P.S
    When I used root explorer it didn't work all the time, I used prop editor and I cleared the box.net app data before trying again and that seemed to do the trick
    As an aside, if you already have a 50gb box.net from either the HP Touchpad or Apple product special offers you can't get it. They don't stack on accounts, so you'll need to create multiple accounts to get all the free 50gb offers. They also do not work if you pay for a box.net account.
    Can't get this to work! Edited build.prop like in first post and made account, but only got 5gb. In my build.prop there are a lot of lines with I9000,maybe because of this?! Dont know!

Maybe someone also can help me with this! Using Samsung Galaxy S I9000!

Thanks in advice!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
    Have offered to set one up for you check your private messages.
    If anyone is interested in using de 50GB drive from desktop Linux, here are the instructions to mount as webdavfs http://www.thetechrepo.com/id=537
    Can't get this to work for the life of me :( used both prop editor and root explorer! Changes always go back to default upon reboot and I did set it to r/o before boot :confused: !!

Would anybody like to go to the trouble of creating me some accounts? Let me know and I'll PM you, cheers :)

Yeah I will ;) xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20433351&postcount=6334

By the way which device you using?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk